Page 29 of 86 FirstFirst ... 49141924252627282930313233343944495459 ... LastLast

Thread: D'Leedon (D10, 99 years leasehold, Capitaland)

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    How can pure balloting be fair? Leave everything to chance & many pitiful kids end up traveling from 1 end of Singapore to another to attend school everyday?
    We already have neighbourhood schools producing top achievers/scorers, so no need everybody to send kids to the top 20 popular schools because neighborhood schools are just good (actually better because they are super valued-added!). You see, everything including garbage in turns into gold (literally).
    But what's the big deal about getting into those schools anyway?all around the island I see parents and kids working equally hard whatever school they are in.So it's not as if the teachers in the top schools are working any harder.I really cannot see any advantage except that your kids can get into those schools when it is their turn.
    Has anyone ever known a not so popular school to become a very sought-after school and vice-versa?And pray,what is a neighborhood school?

Quote Originally Posted by francophile
    But what's the big deal about getting into those schools anyway?all around the island I see parents and kids working equally hard whatever school they are in.So it's not as if the teachers in the top schools are working any harder.I really cannot see any advantage except that your kids can get into those schools when it is their turn.
    Has anyone ever known a not so popular school to become a very sought-after school and vice-versa?And pray,what is a neighborhood school?
    agree with you that elite schools are no better than ulu schools. but the fact that some rich and powerful people can use their contact or whatever to get something that they want is a sign that the playing field in singapore is not level. this should stop. the government should stop this immediately to retain its credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    jus based on balloting without any priorities......equal chance for every child?
    distance is important too as the kid need to rest after long study day.

lol....

Not all schools are equal. Schools of the favoured schools have affiliation programs which means that the child in primary can have 30 less points in PLSD to get into the Secondary school compared to non-affiliated schools.

Parents are quite sophisticated these days how to get their child in. I hear they have multiple addresses just in case.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Most importantly no MM address to register for P1 (since how can an MM unit houses at least 2 adults & 1 child with proper furniture for their study?)
    Or alternative address to use for P1 registration cannot be less than 250 sqft per person (including maid) living in the address? Also heard too many cases of people using their own parents' addresses within 1km of the school to register (and they don't declare their child as using care-takers' addresses since that will set them back their priority) although they (and their kids) don't live with their parents!

Actually another one is the real one that must first go! That is PAP grass-roots also got priority for P1 registration! That PAP grass-roots stretches things too far on top of parent volunteers (what did the former do to the school to entitle them for priority?). Schools don't belong to a particular political parties ruling the constituency, otherwise opposition grass-roots can also have priority in Hougang and Potong Pasir which are controlled by Opposition MPs?

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    If u r really on the grounds, the biggest complaints for top schools are: remove PV totally; enforce 1km more stringently so no rental, no "caretaker's address" bs etc and u must really live there at least x months before and x years after; set quota for old girls and old boys. In this order.

If I were to speculate, quota for old boys/girls will be the 1st.
    Last edited by teddybear; 13-03-11 at 17:38.

Old boys and girls can never be fully removed because every school needs to cultivate an alumni and provide holistic teaching. Old boys and girls growing up in the same environment/church can help in the holistic teaching process for their children. It's not all about academic performance. 1km rule might be tweaked to increase to 5-6km. Because the general observation is those kiasu parents just pay an arm and leg within 1km to be near the school, shutting out less kiasu ones. These people were never brought up or cultivated in the same way and the only thing they use is money to get within the 1km to get into schools they have no inkling or feelings or loyalty about, just pure brute kiasuness.

At the end of the day, no one knows how the rules r going to be tweaked. Just don't bank on 1km - that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    jus based on balloting without any priorities......equal chance for every child?

Just ban parents sending children to school by car. These are the ones jamming up the road every day. Have u noticed the roads are always so smooth during school holidays? It appears the many parents don't drive themselvs but only use the car to fetch the prince and princesses to school. Those within 1km, for goodness sake can walk to school. Those 5-6km, can take school bus or public buses. And because the roads are now smooth without parents fetching children to school, everyone gets to school and reach home earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelle
    distance is important too as the kid need to rest after long study day.

Anyone visited the showroom? Capitaland got throw discount or furniture voucher also? Saw Far east advertise quiet abit for their properties on today newspaper.

dont like the design.

So curvy and I have to pay for the odd shaped layout. Prefer a normal rectangular box layout. Seems like CL only released 2 blocks and not many unit sold. I wonder how is CL going to sell this project with the current pricing.

[QUOTE=francophile]But what's the big deal about getting into those schools anyway?all around the island I see parents and kids working equally hard whatever school they are in.So it's not as if the teachers in the top schools are working any harder.I really cannot see any advantage except that your kids can get into those schools when it is their turn.
    Has anyone ever known a not so popular school to become a very sought-after school and vice-versa?And pray,what is a neighborhood school?[/QUOT

Not too long ago, st Hilda pri was just a normal pri school until they started having gifted programmes. Now it is one of the most sought schools.

I agree with the grassroots thing too. Why should affiliation to any political party be linked to national education programmes!!!

[quote=Fleur]
    Quote Originally Posted by francophile
    Has anyone ever known a not so popular school to become a very sought-after school and vice-versa?And pray,what is a neighborhood school?[/QUOT

Not too long ago, st Hilda pri was just a normal pri school until they started having gifted programmes. Now it is one of the most sought schools.

I agree with the grassroots thing too. Why should affiliation to any political party be linked to national education programmes!!!
    i didnt understand until i became a parent myself. its ok, even if u dont understand it wont affect u. In property hunting wise, u need to know within 1km of most sought after school adds value to the home. A personal friend of mine sold a 2nd house near to a top primary school, pockets 30% profits. The person bought the house so the kid can go to school easily.

Since all school is same to u, wheather political affliation to school shouldnt affect u either, since anything goes. Your children willing to work hard can le.

just another sign of corruption in PAP

Quote Originally Posted by Grimloq
    just another sign of corruption in PAP
    your thread is in coffee shop talk.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    your thread is in coffee shop talk.
    All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Grimloq
    All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
    wow. issit so bad for you? suffering in the hand of evil lords? like i say there's another thread for all this.

pity residents in BT Timah/Holland GRC...

one dud in the form of lim swee say has left
    but the other dud responsible for YOG still around lol

Heard capitaland selling dleedon in India and china now and units see, to be moving quite well....

it looks great on the brochure, maybe that's way they bought it. what is a few million to those rich fellas?

Haha you are right... Plus capitaland has a good brand name in china and India since they are building townships there

for all we know, they bought by the floors...

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    for all we know, they bought by the floors...
    judging by what i hear, this is very possible

what have you heard?

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    what have you heard?
    When they buy, they dont buy 1 unit. The community will buy by the floors. All can stay together.

carrot head.. cant believe capital land actually give laminated wooden flor for 1/2bedders. I was shocked when I heard that

As I said before, if OCR already >$1300 psf, how can d'leedon sell at $1600 psf & still give you CCR quality materials?

Quote Originally Posted by dtrax
    carrot head.. cant believe capital land actually give laminated wooden flor for 1/2bedders. I was shocked when I heard that

When they buy, they dont buy 1 unit. The community will buy by the floors. All can stay together.
    Sometimes they don't even stay there. They buy to "park" their money and they are too rich that they don't even want to rent them out. Hope this is not the case or this devt might be somewhat of a "ghost" town. Veri scary if large numbers of units are not occupied in such a huge devt.

Sometimes they don't even stay there. They buy to "park" their money and they are too rich that they don't even want to rent them out. Hope this is not the case or this devt might be somewhat of a "ghost" town. Veri scary if large numbers of units are not occupied in such a huge devt.

I am not surprised regarding the laminate flooring. I already noticed a deterioration in the quality of finishings to condos in show flats recently. Good thing that the developers are now required to have show flats more accurately representing the finished product or else buyers will be misled into unrealistic expectations of what they are paying for.

D'Leedon is a case of buy CCR property but get OCR materials' quality.
    They should give buyers option to choose better materials furnishing with top-up!

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry

I am not surprised regarding the laminate flooring. I already noticed a deterioration in the quality of finishings to condos in show flats recently. Good thing that the developers are now required to have show flats more accurately representing the finished product or else buyers will be misled into unrealistic expectations of what they are paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    D'Leedon is a case of buy CCR property but get OCR materials' quality.
    They should give buyers option to choose better materials furnishing with top-up!
    Maybe they are hoping those buyers of small units did not read the fine print and din notice that their floors are laminates.

hmm...that area considered CCR? Seem like not so hot these days.