PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Ramsay vs Singapore hawkers

Regulators
27-06-13, 16:31
Who will you vote for? I go for hokkien mee, fried kway teow n claypot rice , hard for Ramsay to master in such a short time.

http://www.hawkerheroes.com/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=owned&utm_content=foodpoll&utm_campaign=GordonRamsay

zzz1
27-06-13, 17:45
Who will you vote for? I go for hokkien mee, fried kway teow n claypot rice , hard for Ramsay to master in such a short time.

http://www.hawkerheroes.com/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=owned&utm_content=foodpoll&utm_campaign=GordonRamsay

I had watched his shows before...
and for sure... (can called it discriminatory) but i wish that he loose with pant down !

ysyap
27-06-13, 21:22

http://www.hawkerheroes.com/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=owned&utm_content=foodpoll&utm_campaign=GordonRamsayNot forgetting fried carrot cake BLACK... lol...

Komo
27-06-13, 22:12
The simpler the dish the more skill is needed such as a pot of rice - me voted for clay pot rice, carrot cake and nasi lemak:D

Regulators
27-06-13, 22:22
I never think British are good when it comes to food , Michelin star is really overrated. I think there are loads of hawkers that can cook better food.

ysyap
28-06-13, 06:59
I never think British are good when it comes to food , Michelin star is really overrated. I think there are loads of hawkers that can cook better food.Michelin star does not equal to best food. Its more for class, ambience and rich taste. May not be the best taste. Pay so much for other stuff, not just taste. Lol.... totally agreed that there are other better tasting food in our humble hawker centres! :cheers6:

Regulators
28-06-13, 10:44
I tried fine dining at equinox once n the food is really only so so. Take away the ambience n the food is just ordinary.
Michelin star does not equal to best food. Its more for class, ambience and rich taste. May not be the best taste. Pay so much for other stuff, not just taste. Lol.... totally agreed that there are other better tasting food in our humble hawker centres! :cheers6:

ysyap
28-06-13, 10:51
I tried fine dining at equinox once n the food is really only so so. Take away the ambience n the food is just ordinary.Bistro and MBS is also so so for food taste but the view and ambience was pretty spectacular. Cheers!

princess_morbucks
28-06-13, 11:10
I just had Sunday Brunch on Keppel Island last weekend.
The food there is very good for a cafe (Prive cafe).

Also get good view of the yachts, and Reflections and the Carribean, after that can go to Corals show flat- all owned by Keppel land.

I voted Tian Tian chicken rice and 328 Katong Laksa.
I don't think Mr Ramsay will ever beat them.
It takes years of hardwork and experimentation to achieve it.
Also one needs to immerse oneself in the local culture before one can come up with an authentic local dish.

mkmm
28-06-13, 12:07
I had watched his shows before...
and for sure... (can called it discriminatory) but i wish that he loose with pant down !
Ramsay? he only knows how to cook "Kentang" only lah!
Watched his shows before, his way of cooking is not appetizing at all. Perhaps, we are Chinese!

ysyap
28-06-13, 15:11
We are all making biased statements here, including myself. Anybody tried first hand Gordon Ramsay's food before... please comment! Thank you.

Regulators
28-06-13, 15:23
i havent tried his food, but i can say it would be of some standard. that being said, i would think singapore hawker food is of some standard too, the fact that we crave for singapore food wherever we go, don't we? i have tried several fine dining places in singapore, but i never crave for the food in these restaurants when i travel abroad on a long term basis, it is always the hawker food i miss. there must be some explanation.

zzz1
28-06-13, 15:30
Had watch few of his variety shows on cooking and the way those appendices being reprimanded for the slightest mistake with his choice of language couple with his accent, is already not appealing to me . It not on the food thou. That imo..

Anyway, will be interesting to see who's the panel of judges. I am more interest on how they made the call of judgement...

Regulators
28-06-13, 15:39
ramsay is an appalling character i must admit. I think hells kitchen is just show biz
Had watch few of his variety shows on cooking and the way those appendices being reprimanded for the slightest mistake with his choice of language couple with his accent, is already not appealing to me . It not on the food thou. That imo..

Anyway, will be interesting to see who's the panel of judges. I am more interest on how they made the call of judgement...

zzz1
28-06-13, 15:59
ramsay is an appalling character i must admit. I think hells kitchen is just show biz
Yap yap...but the impression is already infused.

Our hawkers foods have long history which pass from generation to generation..and when we are oversea, those cha quay tiew, laksa etc that making us to come back home too...

ysyap
28-06-13, 16:03
Yap yap...but the impression is already infused.

Our hawkers foods have long history which pass from generation to generation..and when we are oversea, those cha quay tiew, laksa etc that making us to come back home too...Can't agree more... if i'm not mistaken, think the concept of food court originated in Singapore. KLCC copied that concept. Not sure which other country has it... where all good food are congregated in one destination... ;)

zzz1
28-06-13, 16:24
Can't agree more... if i'm not mistaken, think the concept of food court originated in Singapore. KLCC copied that concept. Not sure which other country has it... where all good food are congregated in one destination... ;)
Many places have this concept.. jakarta, auss..

Good foods and great variety. ..

hopeful
28-06-13, 17:12
i agree with ysyap, we are all biased here la. since young, we have been eating singapore food. so it is food that is familiar and comfortable to us.

for eg.
jakarta people will say soto betawi is best.
surabaya people will say soto surabaya is best.
medan people will say soto medan is best.

i bring singapore soto to surabaya, the indonesian pui the singapore soto.
i bring surabaya soto to singapore, the singaporean pui the surabayan soto.

ysyap
28-06-13, 18:04
i agree with ysyap, we are all biased here la. since young, we have been eating singapore food. so it is food that is familiar and comfortable to us.

for eg.

i bring surabaya soto to singapore, the singaporean pui the surabayan soto.Oh yes... good food vs comfy food are two different genres. Anyway, I suspect the judges will include both locals and foreigners to have that intricate balance... :rolleyes: If not sure not fair lah!

zzz1
28-06-13, 20:25

for eg.

i bring surabaya soto to singapore, the singaporean pui the surabayan soto.
Rights now a belu d orang barak said that he can cook better then the local here..is like a orang barak never tried or eaten before soto but claimed he can cook soto better and taste better too

ysyap
05-07-13, 21:58
Anyone at Maxwell market today?

http://sg.entertainment.yahoo.com/blogs/going-out-by-night/singapore-goes-crazy-over-gordon-ramsay-060045149.html

Cheers! :scared-3:

Regulators
05-07-13, 23:16
Impossible for Ramsay to master these three dishes in such a short time. Took these hawkers years time perfect.

kane
05-07-13, 23:44
one can tell that the property market is inactive when the number of non-property related threads are topping the new posts list. haha.

I digress.

Anyway, I wonder how was his hainanese chicken rice dish? maybe we'll see this on the next season of hell's kitchen. lol.

astroboy8681
06-07-13, 00:20
tian tian lai is over-rated... period
bishan kim san leng is better...
(for the dip-in-cold-water & not too oily kind of hainanese chicky rice comparison)

between folks fried hokkien mee from AMK ave 4 was one of my all time fav comfort food until they close few years... i still have not found a on par stall anywhere else in Singapore.... anyone can recommend?

Regulators
06-07-13, 01:15
My late grandmothers chicken rice is the best, she never bought a dead chicken, she always slaughtered a live old hen whenever she cooked chicken rice the traditional hainanese way.

ysyap
06-07-13, 10:15
Impossible for Ramsay to master these three dishes in such a short time. Took these hawkers years time perfect.I guess this challenge has 2 fold objectives.
1. For Ramsay to gain more followers here in SEA. ST reports some think its Andy Lau.... lol

2. For the chosen stalls to gain fame and enjoy the overrated compliments.

Anyway, i do hope this British will come and revolutionalize the 3 chosen dish with a big twist so that we Singaporeans can have variation to the chilli crab, laksa and chicken rice we're so used to. Think the final result is Ramsay 1 hawker 2...

Regulators
06-07-13, 12:25
Frankly the british cant cook for shit n their food culture is adopted mainly from americans n french n indians. When i was in england, apart from fish n chips n jacket potatoes, can't recall anything else british i had.
I guess this challenge has 2 fold objectives.
1. For Ramsay to gain more followers here in SEA. ST reports some think its Andy Lau.... lol

Anyway, i do hope this British will come and revolutionalize the 3 chosen dish with a big twist so that we Singaporeans can have variation to the chilli crab, laksa and chicken rice we're so used to. Think the final result is Ramsay 1 hawker 2...

zzz1
07-07-13, 21:45
I guess this challenge has 2 fold objectives.

Is there any coverage on the challenge?
Very keen to see how the tissue paper being torn. ..

eng81157
08-07-13, 08:42
Frankly the british cant cook for shit n their food culture is adopted mainly from americans n french n indians. When i was in england, apart from fish n chips n jacket potatoes, can't recall anything else british i had.

shepherd's pie - can't resist a well-made one

eng81157
08-07-13, 08:43
one can tell that the property market is inactive when the number of non-property related threads are topping the new posts list. haha.

I digress.

Anyway, I wonder how was his hainanese chicken rice dish? maybe we'll see this on the next season of hell's kitchen. lol.

not just the chicken. the chilli is important too. if the sauce is good enough, you can eat the rice with it, without the chicken and yet it'll still taste awesome

wirehtc
08-07-13, 10:15
not just the chicken. the chilli is important too. if the sauce is good enough, you can eat the rice with it, without the chicken and yet it'll still taste awesome

Chicken rice is actually cooked with chicken fats, which is why it tastes so nice with chilli.

eng81157
08-07-13, 10:30
Chicken rice is actually cooked with chicken fats, which is why it tastes so nice with chilli.

you're mistaken. what i meant is that the chilli is the deal breaker, not only the chicken. this is not denying the fact that the rice needs to be fragrant too.

ysyap
08-07-13, 13:35
Think the final result is Ramsay 1 hawker 2...Next time can ask me for 4D... lol... :D

Regulators
08-07-13, 13:39
The oil from the chicken, garlic, ginger n chilli, these are the vital ingredients

you're mistaken. what i meant is that the chilli is the deal breaker, not only the chicken. this is not denying the fact that the rice needs to be fragrant too.

ysyap
08-07-13, 13:41
The oil from the chicken, garlic, ginger n chilli, these are the vital ingredientsDid you learn all these from your grandmother? In short, the tastier chicken rice is, the more unhealthy it is??? :cheers1:

bargain hunter
08-07-13, 13:44
bro, u can say, "now u believe i got third eye bo?" hahahhahahaha

Next time can ask me for 4D... lol... :D

Regulators
08-07-13, 13:48
Chicken rice is never healthy. I remember squatting by the kitchen toilet watching my grandmother slaughtering the chicken n how she prepared her traditional hainanese chicken rice. All traditional hainanese chicken rice can only be cooked with old hen. While cooking the chicken, the oil supposed to drip into the rice, even the chilli must have the oil. Some believe that for the chicken meat to be at the right tenderness, u must still be able to see some redness in the marrow.
Did you learn all these from your grandmother? In short, the tastier chicken rice is, the more unhealthy it is??? :cheers1:

bargain hunter
08-07-13, 13:50
chilli crab is the easiest to replicate. in this case, the representative is a restaurant. hence, the sauce is pre mixed by machine. ramsay is good at tastes. once he taste, he can tell what are the ingredients and replicate.

for the other 2, it depends more on individual skill, controlling the fire etc, so not easy to replicate.

ysyap
08-07-13, 13:55
bro, u can say, "now u believe i got third eye bo?" hahahhahahahaI believe I believe...

ysyap
08-07-13, 13:56
Chicken rice is never healthy. I remember squatting by the kitchen toilet watching my grandmother slaughtering the chicken n how she prepared her traditional hainanese chicken rice. All traditional hainanese chicken rice can only be cooked with old hen. While cooking the chicken, the oil supposed to drip into the rice, even the chilli must have the oil. Some believe that for the chicken meat to be at the right tenderness, u must still be able to see some redness in the marrow.Sigh! Will surely think twice before ordering chicken rice next time... :rolleyes:

ysyap
08-07-13, 13:57
chilli crab is the easiest to replicate. in this case, the representative is a restaurant. hence, the sauce is pre mixed by machine. ramsay is good at tastes. once he taste, he can tell what are the ingredients and replicate.

for the other 2, it depends more on individual skill, controlling the fire etc, so not easy to replicate.From the very beginning, its already unfair to ask anyone, not to mention a foreigner to challenge our homemade delicacies.. not bad that he could even get one win out of three... It sure was a show... not even one foul word from him throughout... lol..

bargain hunter
08-07-13, 14:02
they should have asked some chilli crab HAWKER to compete.

From the very beginning, its already unfair to ask anyone, not to mention a foreigner to challenge our homemade delicacies.. not bad that he could even get one win out of three... It sure was a show... not even one foul word from him throughout... lol..

Regulators
08-07-13, 14:05
I was hoping to see Gordon frying hokkien mee, that one I know his performance sure kns one.

iwantgizmos
08-07-13, 14:12
I'm not going to Jumbo anymore after this... :D :D :D :D

eng81157
08-07-13, 14:16
Chicken rice is never healthy. I remember squatting by the kitchen toilet watching my grandmother slaughtering the chicken n how she prepared her traditional hainanese chicken rice. All traditional hainanese chicken rice can only be cooked with old hen. While cooking the chicken, the oil supposed to drip into the rice, even the chilli must have the oil. Some believe that for the chicken meat to be at the right tenderness, u must still be able to see some redness in the marrow.

i'm not a fan of the 'old hen'. my ex-neighbour used to cook it and while we felt it was like rubber, she was savouring it like it's dew from heaven - or in this case, fresh meat from heaven

amk
08-07-13, 14:25
yea lor. I suspect jumbo paid SingTel to get involved, and hope for fame, now it backfired.

chilli crab, the meiban one can be classified as hawker right ? huge queue every day. always wonder if it's overrated.

Regulators
08-07-13, 14:44
jumbo chilli crab is not even hawker food, they have chosen the wrong contestant.

yea lor. I suspect jumbo paid SingTel to get involved, and hope for fame, now it backfired.

chilli crab, the meiban one can be classified as hawker right ? huge queue every day. always wonder if it's overrated.

Regulators
08-07-13, 14:47
the skin of the old hen is more pimply in sensation, but the oil is said to be the best for cooking chicken rice. To be honest, really good chicken rice is extinct coz the chicken used these days are all hormone battery chicken, unlike the good old days when everything was organic. Chicken these days are so sick that they can even hold their feathers well on the body, explaining why the skin of the chicken is so smooth in texture after is being defeathered.

i'm not a fan of the 'old hen'. my ex-neighbour used to cook it and while we felt it was like rubber, she was savouring it like it's dew from heaven - or in this case, fresh meat from heaven

sh
08-07-13, 15:05
... not even one foul word from him throughout... lol..

He don't dare to use his foul word here.... Ours, (ie the hawker's) much more powerful.... K N N B C C B....:D His got no fight....:cheers1:

Regulators
08-07-13, 15:21
I think KNNBCCB is unique to singapore in terms of swear words. I don't think the hokkien people in China even heard of this string :D

He don't dare to use his foul word here.... Ours, (ie the hawker's) much more powerful.... K N N B C C B....:D His got no fight....:cheers1:

mcmlxxvi
08-07-13, 17:22

He did in fact say 'arse' (not censored) and one other XXX (censored with beep) on TODAY youtube videos.

bargain hunter
08-07-13, 22:17
yes, chilli crab can be classified as hawker food but the representative was not a/THE hawker.

it was the only one among the 15 which was not exactly a true hawker. but it was the voters which pushed them into the top 3 and became a representative of the country lor.

bargain hunter
08-07-13, 22:18
i guess hokkien mee or char kway teow would be more hawker than chilli crab.

I was hoping to see Gordon frying hokkien mee, that one I know his performance sure kns one.

Regulators
08-07-13, 23:10
Hawker can serve chilli crab also but they should not choose jumbo coz that is a restaurant. They should just pick a hawker chilli crab

astroboy8681
09-07-13, 00:01

If its hokkien mee, which stall would it be?

bargain hunter
09-07-13, 00:18
that, we would need our forumers here to vote hehehe.

just to confirm, we r talking about the hokkien prawn mee and not the dark sauced and more brownish hokkien mee right?

If its hokkien mee, which stall would it be?

bargain hunter
09-07-13, 00:20
agree. i mentioned it earlier. chilli crab classified as hawker food. but rep should be a hawker.

anything which has a personal touch and not machine pre-mixed is good. :)

Hawker can serve chilli crab also but they should not choose jumbo coz that is a restaurant. They should just pick a hawker chilli crab

astroboy8681
09-07-13, 00:25
that, we would need our forumers here to vote hehehe.

just to confirm, we r talking about the hokkien prawn mee and not the dark sauced and more brownish hokkien mee right?

yeap fried hokkien mee.... with yellow noodle & thick beehoon kind :)

Regulators
09-07-13, 01:27
Every time come back to this thread make me hungry :D

fiat500
09-07-13, 01:27
The stall @ bedok corner hawker centre gets my vote!
Guaranteed have to q up during dinner time.
No lard or pork is used n it's damn tasty.
I have never seen a cleaner hawker stall than this... Btw,it has an A rating for hygiene..

Regulators
09-07-13, 01:36
Clean hawkers seldom cook tasty food but of course there are exceptions
I have never seen a cleaner hawker stall than this... Btw,it has an A rating for hygiene..

ysyap
09-07-13, 07:46
So how was business in these 3 stalls (2 stalls and 1 restaurant) yesterday? :cheers1:

eng81157
09-07-13, 10:13
Clean hawkers seldom cook tasty food but of course there are exceptions

lao goh carrot cake @ zion road - clean and really good!!

eng81157
09-07-13, 10:15

char keow teow or hokkien mee, gordan ramsay will turn them into fettucine and spaghetti al dente

astroboy8681
09-07-13, 14:21
No pork no lard and still grade A in hawker... Must give it a try thanks :)

ysyap
09-07-13, 21:09
lao goh carrot cake @ zion road - clean and really good!!Anybody knows where has the carrot cake stall at the old Commonwealth market gone to? Since the market kana demolished, that 1st floor carrot cake stall is gone! :beats-me-man:

fiat500
09-07-13, 21:10
No pork no lard and still grade A in hawker... Must give it a try thanks :)
Yes, u must try.U will not regret.They are only open for a few hrs daily during dinner time,not sure when is their rest day though..It's a husband n wife team.
Pity the famous cheng tng stall beside them "ye lai xiang" boss passed on recently.. Hopefully the wife or family will continue with the business.

eng81157
10-07-13, 08:01
Yes, u must try.U will not regret.They are only open for a few hrs daily during dinner time,not sure when is their rest day though..It's a husband n wife team.
Pity the famous cheng tng stall beside them "ye lai xiang" boss passed on recently.. Hopefully the wife or family will continue with the business.

i confirm that the noodles are solid. if you are near little india, go try the famous charcoal-fried hokkien noodles.

eng81157
10-07-13, 08:03
Anybody knows where has the carrot cake stall at the old Commonwealth market gone to? Since the market kana demolished, that 1st floor carrot cake stall is gone! :beats-me-man:

pai seh, i don't frequent that stall so can't help you with that. is it better than lao goh's carrot cake?

ysyap
10-07-13, 10:32
pai seh, i don't frequent that stall so can't help you with that. is it better than lao goh's carrot cake?Yo have not tried lao goh's either so can't answer your question. Anyway, this one at the old Commonwealth market is good in that it is cooked with extra ingredient to give the slightly different taste. :cheers6: sure miss that...

astroboy8681
10-07-13, 12:22
i confirm that the noodles are solid. if you are near little india, go try the famous charcoal-fried hokkien noodles.

charcoal fried? that's super old school.... please advise address thanks

i'm the kind willing to travel for good food :D

eng81157
10-07-13, 14:35
charcoal fried? that's super old school.... please advise address thanks

i'm the kind willing to travel for good food :D

Original Serangoon Fried Hokkien Mee
Long San Eating House, 566 Serangoon Road (http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/Original_Serangoon_Fried_Hokkien_Mee/#)

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/Original_Serangoon_Fried_Hokkien_Mee/