Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gordon Ramsay vs Singapore hawkers

Default Gordon Ramsay vs Singapore hawkers

Who will you vote for? I go for hokkien mee, fried kway teow n claypot rice , hard for Ramsay to master in such a short time.

http://www.hawkerheroes.com/?utm_sou...n=GordonRamsay

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    Who will you vote for? I go for hokkien mee, fried kway teow n claypot rice , hard for Ramsay to master in such a short time.

I had watched his shows before...
    and for sure... (can called it discriminatory) but i wish that he loose with pant down !

Not forgetting fried carrot cake BLACK... lol...

The simpler the dish the more skill is needed such as a pot of rice - me voted for clay pot rice, carrot cake and nasi lemak

I never think British are good when it comes to food , Michelin star is really overrated. I think there are loads of hawkers that can cook better food.

I never think British are good when it comes to food , Michelin star is really overrated. I think there are loads of hawkers that can cook better food.
    Michelin star does not equal to best food. Its more for class, ambience and rich taste. May not be the best taste. Pay so much for other stuff, not just taste. Lol.... totally agreed that there are other better tasting food in our humble hawker centres!

I tried fine dining at equinox once n the food is really only so so. Take away the ambience n the food is just ordinary.
    Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Michelin star does not equal to best food. Its more for class, ambience and rich taste. May not be the best taste. Pay so much for other stuff, not just taste. Lol.... totally agreed that there are other better tasting food in our humble hawker centres!

I tried fine dining at equinox once n the food is really only so so. Take away the ambience n the food is just ordinary.
    Bistro and MBS is also so so for food taste but the view and ambience was pretty spectacular. Cheers!

I just had Sunday Brunch on Keppel Island last weekend.
    The food there is very good for a cafe (Prive cafe).

Also get good view of the yachts, and Reflections and the Carribean, after that can go to Corals show flat- all owned by Keppel land.

I voted Tian Tian chicken rice and 328 Katong Laksa.
    I don't think Mr Ramsay will ever beat them.
    It takes years of hardwork and experimentation to achieve it.
    Also one needs to immerse oneself in the local culture before one can come up with an authentic local dish.

Quote Originally Posted by zzz1
    I had watched his shows before...
    and for sure... (can called it discriminatory) but i wish that he loose with pant down !
    Ramsay? he only knows how to cook "Kentang" only lah!
    Watched his shows before, his way of cooking is not appetizing at all. Perhaps, we are Chinese!

We are all making biased statements here, including myself. Anybody tried first hand Gordon Ramsay's food before... please comment! Thank you.

i havent tried his food, but i can say it would be of some standard. that being said, i would think singapore hawker food is of some standard too, the fact that we crave for singapore food wherever we go, don't we? i have tried several fine dining places in singapore, but i never crave for the food in these restaurants when i travel abroad on a long term basis, it is always the hawker food i miss. there must be some explanation.

Had watch few of his variety shows on cooking and the way those appendices being reprimanded for the slightest mistake with his choice of language couple with his accent, is already not appealing to me . It not on the food thou. That imo..

Anyway, will be interesting to see who's the panel of judges. I am more interest on how they made the call of judgement...

ramsay is an appalling character i must admit. I think hells kitchen is just show biz
    Had watch few of his variety shows on cooking and the way those appendices being reprimanded for the slightest mistake with his choice of language couple with his accent, is already not appealing to me . It not on the food thou. That imo..

Anyway, will be interesting to see who's the panel of judges. I am more interest on how they made the call of judgement...

ramsay is an appalling character i must admit. I think hells kitchen is just show biz
    Yap yap...but the impression is already infused.

Our hawkers foods have long history which pass from generation to generation..and when we are oversea, those cha quay tiew, laksa etc that making us to come back home too...

Yap yap...but the impression is already infused.

Our hawkers foods have long history which pass from generation to generation..and when we are oversea, those cha quay tiew, laksa etc that making us to come back home too...
    Can't agree more... if i'm not mistaken, think the concept of food court originated in Singapore. KLCC copied that concept. Not sure which other country has it... where all good food are congregated in one destination...

Can't agree more... if i'm not mistaken, think the concept of food court originated in Singapore. KLCC copied that concept. Not sure which other country has it... where all good food are congregated in one destination...
    Many places have this concept.. jakarta, auss..

Good foods and great variety. ..

i agree with ysyap, we are all biased here la. since young, we have been eating singapore food. so it is food that is familiar and comfortable to us.

for eg.
    jakarta people will say soto betawi is best.
    surabaya people will say soto surabaya is best.
    medan people will say soto medan is best.

i bring singapore soto to surabaya, the indonesian pui the singapore soto.
    i bring surabaya soto to singapore, the singaporean pui the surabayan soto.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    i agree with ysyap, we are all biased here la. since young, we have been eating singapore food. so it is food that is familiar and comfortable to us.

for eg.

Oh yes... good food vs comfy food are two different genres. Anyway, I suspect the judges will include both locals and foreigners to have that intricate balance... If not sure not fair lah!

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful

for eg.

Rights now a belu d orang barak said that he can cook better then the local here..is like a orang barak never tried or eaten before soto but claimed he can cook soto better and taste better too

Anyone at Maxwell market today?

http://sg.entertainment.yahoo.com/bl...060045149.html

Cheers!

Impossible for Ramsay to master these three dishes in such a short time. Took these hawkers years time perfect.

one can tell that the property market is inactive when the number of non-property related threads are topping the new posts list. haha.

I digress.

Anyway, I wonder how was his hainanese chicken rice dish? maybe we'll see this on the next season of hell's kitchen. lol.

tian tian lai is over-rated... period
    bishan kim san leng is better...
    (for the dip-in-cold-water & not too oily kind of hainanese chicky rice comparison)

between folks fried hokkien mee from AMK ave 4 was one of my all time fav comfort food until they close few years... i still have not found a on par stall anywhere else in Singapore.... anyone can recommend?

My late grandmothers chicken rice is the best, she never bought a dead chicken, she always slaughtered a live old hen whenever she cooked chicken rice the traditional hainanese way.

Impossible for Ramsay to master these three dishes in such a short time. Took these hawkers years time perfect.
    I guess this challenge has 2 fold objectives.
    1. For Ramsay to gain more followers here in SEA. ST reports some think its Andy Lau.... lol

2. For the chosen stalls to gain fame and enjoy the overrated compliments.

Anyway, i do hope this British will come and revolutionalize the 3 chosen dish with a big twist so that we Singaporeans can have variation to the chilli crab, laksa and chicken rice we're so used to. Think the final result is Ramsay 1 hawker 2...

Frankly the british cant cook for shit n their food culture is adopted mainly from americans n french n indians. When i was in england, apart from fish n chips n jacket potatoes, can't recall anything else british i had.
    1. For Ramsay to gain more followers here in SEA. ST reports some think its Andy Lau.... lol

Anyway, i do hope this British will come and revolutionalize the 3 chosen dish with a big twist so that we Singaporeans can have variation to the chilli crab, laksa and chicken rice we're so used to. Think the final result is Ramsay 1 hawker 2...

Is there any coverage on the challenge?
    Very keen to see how the tissue paper being torn. ..

Frankly the british cant cook for shit n their food culture is adopted mainly from americans n french n indians. When i was in england, apart from fish n chips n jacket potatoes, can't recall anything else british i had.
    shepherd's pie - can't resist a well-made one

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    one can tell that the property market is inactive when the number of non-property related threads are topping the new posts list. haha.

I digress.

Anyway, I wonder how was his hainanese chicken rice dish? maybe we'll see this on the next season of hell's kitchen. lol.
    not just the chicken. the chilli is important too. if the sauce is good enough, you can eat the rice with it, without the chicken and yet it'll still taste awesome