PDA

View Full Version : Buy your luxury car now b4 COE goes up!!!

phantom_opera
16-05-13, 11:03
The Government is reviewing how to improve the Certificate of Entitlement (COE) system in two main areas, said Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew Thursday.

Speaking on the sidelines of a visit to the Marina Coastal Expressway project site, Mr Lui said the authorities are looking at how to refine the categorization of category A and B cars to separate mass market and luxury cars.

He noted that last year, models commonly viewed as higher-end options such as Mercedes Benz and BMW made up more than a third of Category A registrations compared to less than 7 per cent in 2010.

One new criteria the authorities is considering is engine power, he said, adding that the public and industry players will be consulted before a decision is made later this year.

Localite
16-05-13, 12:17
Maybe ABSD for second car.....:-)

Scg8866t
16-05-13, 12:25
The Government is reviewing how to improve the Certificate of Entitlement (COE) system in two main areas, said Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew Thursday.

Speaking on the sidelines of a visit to the Marina Coastal Expressway project site, Mr Lui said the authorities are looking at how to refine the categorization of category A and B cars to separate mass market and luxury cars.

He noted that last year, models commonly viewed as higher-end options such as Mercedes Benz and BMW made up more than a third of Category A registrations compared to less than 7 per cent in 2010.

One new criteria the authorities is considering is engine power, he said, adding that the public and industry players will be consulted before a decision is made later this year.

Oh no I just bought my new car waiting for stupid performance motor to settle the Cat A bidding... looks like its bad news for me soon.

LG168
16-05-13, 12:44
I think luxury car coe stable.. CAt A +/-10k up and down.

radha08
16-05-13, 15:28
those got no money but want luxury car can consider this i cannot buy otherwise if i drive to work my boss eyes red:D:D:D

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=341262&DL=1000

stl67
16-05-13, 17:39
those got no money but want luxury car can consider this i cannot buy otherwise if i drive to work my boss eyes red:D:D:D

sure or not. how come so cheap?

wt_know
16-05-13, 20:30
rob peter to pay paul ....

ysyap
16-05-13, 21:16

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=341262&DL=1000Wah... v cheap but drawback will be the no. of owners plus the mileage... is there a reason why so many owners want to sell the car? Hmmm.... anyway, @ $7.xk annual depreciation, you probably won't lose much even if its problematic... just more inconvenient in getting problems fixed... :cheers6:

radha08
16-05-13, 22:13
Wah... v cheap but drawback will be the no. of owners plus the mileage... is there a reason why so many owners want to sell the car? Hmmm.... anyway, @ $7.xk annual depreciation, you probably won't lose much even if its problematic... just more inconvenient in getting problems fixed... :cheers6:

like i said i CANNOT drive this car to work my boss driving ford focus after eyes red:D

zzz1
17-05-13, 00:28

If this car is well maintenance, can considered renew coe ...

ysyap
17-05-13, 06:50
If this car is well maintenance, can considered renew coe ...If its many owners, chances of each owner taking good care of it is not very high!!! Sigh! :tongue3:

zzz1
17-05-13, 18:27
If its many owners, chances of each owner taking good care of it is not very high!!! Sigh! :tongue3:

Was looking at then direct selling asking price, and I am sure he had approached dealer, and dealer had really offer super low baller price,....

What I mean is dealer markup is imaginable ...

ysyap
17-05-13, 21:38
Was looking at then direct selling asking price, and I am sure he had approached dealer, and dealer had really offer super low baller price,....

What I mean is dealer markup is imaginable ...Most dealers don't want to consign your car coz earn a little bit only. They offer super low price and then sell at market rate. Some dealers offer $20k off market price for a Jap car. Imagine the profit they make after some touch up here and there. Once I called a dealer to ask if he could consign my car. He replied sternly, 'Not that I don't want to consign your car but there is no vacancy in my showroom to house your car :doh: :doh: !!!'

Another classic comment, 'Your car so old (7+ years old) better scrap lah. I can only take in at scrap plus body price' That is $12k off the market value immediately. I ask him go fly kite. Not too long ago, I recalled dealers only slashing about $6k to $8k from market value. I keep hearing car dealers complain their business greatly affected but they still slash so jialat from car owners. They are not very desperate to get that business leh!!! :confused:

Regulators
17-05-13, 21:48
Any faulty electronics for this car would cost a bomb
If this car is well maintenance, can considered renew coe ...

radha08
18-05-13, 08:15
so who here bought the audi its SOLD:D:D:D

DC33_2008
18-05-13, 08:28
Counting down two weeks left for used car dealers.How many more will close shop after that day?

zzz1
18-05-13, 09:40
Most dealers don't want to consign your car coz earn a little bit only. They offer super low price and then sell at market rate. Some dealers offer $20k off market price for a Jap car. Imagine the profit they make after some touch up here and there. Once I called a dealer to ask if he could consign my car. He replied sternly, 'Not that I don't want to consign your car but there is no vacancy in my showroom to house your car :doh: :doh: !!!'

Another classic comment, 'Your car so old (7+ years old) better scrap lah. I can only take in at scrap plus body price' That is $12k off the market value immediately. I ask him go fly kite. Not too long ago, I recalled dealers only slashing about $6k to $8k from market value. I keep hearing car dealers complain their business greatly affected but they still slash so jialat from car owners. They are not very desperate to get that business leh!!! :confused:

That is very mercenary ..I had bad encounter too......the price they quote is simply too ridiculous.....

zzz1
18-05-13, 09:43
Any faulty electronics for this car would cost a bomb

That why buying a pre owned car, nn warranty, you need to invite `Mr hang` to come along....

Is heng , sway,,,.....

zzz1
18-05-13, 09:45

Expected that will be a quick deal...nice car..

ysyap
18-05-13, 20:16

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=341262&DL=1000There was another Audi A4 for about $8xxx annual depreciation @ Turf City advertized yesterday or Thurs and today sold when I went down... Buyers are still lurking everywhere... just waiting for the right price. So 2nd hand market not really that bad as portrayed by many dealers!!! :scared-3:

ysyap
18-05-13, 20:20
Any faulty electronics for this car would cost a bombSaw a BMW at a workshop. Asked the mechanic. He said the car's been there for 5 months already waiting for spare part. Upon probing, he revealed the owner looking for 2nd hand spare parts so waiting and looking until the workshop are buying the 2nd hand spare parts from China. The new spare parts cost easily $25k. 2nd hand spare parts from China cost about $4k. No wonder waiting and looking lor... car parts can really cost a bomb man! :scared-4:

kane
18-05-13, 23:09
Saw a BMW at a workshop. Asked the mechanic. He said the car's been there for 5 months already waiting for spare part. Upon probing, he revealed the owner looking for 2nd hand spare parts so waiting and looking until the workshop are buying the 2nd hand spare parts from China. The new spare parts cost easily $25k. 2nd hand spare parts from China cost about $4k. No wonder waiting and looking lor... car parts can really cost a bomb man! :scared-4:

what major part is that? 25k? was it a 7 series? don't think most parts in a 5 series will cost that much.

richwang
19-05-13, 04:39
http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=342514&DL=1000

How about this one. Also owner is directly selling. Still available.
If the 2nd hand car dealers become unreasonable, the business model will be changed. the newer generation is happy to buy things online - including cars.

Thanks,
Richard

ysyap
19-05-13, 14:07
what major part is that? 25k? was it a 7 series? don't think most parts in a 5 series will cost that much.Well I'm not a very hands on car person so don't understand which part it was. There is a top layer and a bottom layer. The new piece comes with both layers although only the top layer is damaged... Don't know which part it was but continental cars are definitely expensive man! :rolleyes: Btw its a 5 series!

ysyap
19-05-13, 14:09

If the 2nd hand car dealers become unreasonable, the business model will be changed. the newer generation is happy to buy things online - including cars.

Thanks,
RichardJust clicked on the link... it reads 'SOLD'. Very fast man! Fast and furious! :scared-2:

Regulators
19-05-13, 16:27
For economical driving, Japanese cars are still better (except for cars like gtr).
Saw a BMW at a workshop. Asked the mechanic. He said the car's been there for 5 months already waiting for spare part. Upon probing, he revealed the owner looking for 2nd hand spare parts so waiting and looking until the workshop are buying the 2nd hand spare parts from China. The new spare parts cost easily $25k. 2nd hand spare parts from China cost about $4k. No wonder waiting and looking lor... car parts can really cost a bomb man! :scared-4:

radha08
19-05-13, 19:33

Thanks,
Richard

u mean owner SOLD please do keep a lookout you might see same car advertised again 5k higher by ur friendly dealers:cool:

radha08
19-05-13, 19:34
Just clicked on the link... it reads 'SOLD'. Very fast man! Fast and furious! :scared-2:

probably bought by a dealer to resell:cool:

ysyap
19-05-13, 21:41
probably bought by a dealer to resell:cool:Very probable!!! Last time there was flipping properties. Now its flipping cars!!!

minority
20-05-13, 14:43
15 more days to the end of window period for car agent. Will we see a higher discount then?

ysyap
20-05-13, 15:20
15 more days to the end of window period for car agent. Will we see a higher discount then?Good point. As of now, it appears that agents who took in those cars before the latest cooling measure at high price are not looking to offload them quickly. Not sure what they have up their sleeves.... hmmm....

DC33_2008
20-05-13, 15:25
Do not dare to buy second car now as worried that they may go best after selling them.
Good point. As of now, it appears that agents who took in those cars before the latest cooling measure at high price are not looking to offload them quickly. Not sure what they have up their sleeves.... hmmm....

Rysk
20-05-13, 19:58
15 more days to the end of window period for car agent. Will we see a higher discount then?
Went window shopping at AMK auto mega 1-wk ago to test market..
Many dealers still yaya papaya.. take it or leave it altitude.. Some no interest to neg.
Will wait till July then go car hunting again.. See whether they will beg me to buy or not..

ysyap
20-05-13, 21:39
Went window shopping at AMK auto mega 1-wk ago to test market..
Many dealers still yaya papaya.. take it or leave it altitude.. Some no interest to neg.
Will wait till July then go car hunting again.. See whether they will beg me to buy or not..I suspect they will still be yaya papaya... coz any car with max 60% loan limit can be increased easily to 80% or 90% by jacking up the asking price of the car. A S$30k 2006 sedan jap car @ 60% = S$18k loan limit. To loan S$27k (90%), they just set the asking price of car @ S$45k (60% = S$27k). While banks may ask, more often than not, they'll just keep quiet coz got more interest to profit from. This is one big cartel in the automobile market. Govt can implement anything and still there'll be ways around it. :doh: I doubt prices will drop come June. The only thing that controls the 2nd hand car market is COE bidding prices or if buyers can't get any car loan... :tsk-tsk:

If govt wants to control 2nd hand car market by only allowing 60% loan limit, they must police the cartel ring lords more vigilantly. I don't think they are doing that.

DC33_2008
20-05-13, 21:48
This wed's COE going down?

ysyap
21-05-13, 19:57
It is an interesting sight. Went to Automobile megamart today and nearly all the companies there have empty showrooms. Very few cars on display. Its like supply cannot meet demand. Very interesting sight indeed.

There were 3 dealers sitting in front of their company playing with their Ipad-mini & handphones. One person looked up and saw me, asked, 'what car?' I kept quiet and they returned to play with their gadgets. I stood there and walked around to look at the cars parked there but these 3 dealers don't even bother to look up again. This shows how good business is for them. Met the sales quota for the next 3 months already... :)

dtrax
23-05-13, 00:03
Source: http://stcommunities.straitstimes.com/movies/2013/05/22/hollywood-stars-shocked-singapore-car-prices

Even hollywood stars chua sai the sg car prices.. I think Vin Diesel can give up driving those posh cars in fast n furious 6 if he lives here

mygeemeel
23-05-13, 00:43
Source: http://stcommunities.straitstimes.com/movies/2013/05/22/hollywood-stars-shocked-singapore-car-prices

Even hollywood stars chua sai the sg car prices.. I think Vin Diesel can give up driving those posh cars in fast n furious 6 if he lives here

Vin Diesel lao sai on the spot !! Interview damn funny.

ysyap
23-05-13, 21:42

Even hollywood stars chua sai the sg car prices.. I think Vin Diesel can give up driving those posh cars in fast n furious 6 if he lives hereHe can be the Singaporean well loved by LTA and MOT....

ysyap
05-06-13, 21:26
How true... COE prices are indeed climbing up steadily. Mr Lui, how how how? Your free transport in the morning starting soon is not stopping people from buying cars! Even the 50% downpayment for big cars is not a deterrent. What's next? :beats-me-man:

Singaporeans sure know no boundaries... after an initial dip in COE prices after CM, its climbing back again. Similarly, after an initial slow down due to property market CM, housing prices are climbing again!

princess_morbucks
05-06-13, 22:08
One way is not to allow loan for cars.
Pay cash upfront .

Make car rental more accessible.

ysyap
05-06-13, 22:19
One way is not to allow loan for cars.
Pay cash upfront .

Make car rental more accessible.No car loans? Banks will surely complain. Well, currently @ 50% loan, people are still buying cars, will 0% loan do the trick? If like that, basically the poor are marginalized. Should the rich control the car market then? Car rentals being more accessible is definitely a good idea and it must be cheap too.

princess_morbucks
05-06-13, 22:33
No car loans? Banks will surely complain. Well, currently @ 50% loan, people are still buying cars, will 0% loan do the trick? If like that, basically the poor are marginalized. Should the rich control the car market then? Car rentals being more accessible is definitely a good idea and it must be cheap too.

If poor, then should not be tied down to expensive car loan.
But if require car, then rent when required.
Or take taxi.

flxcat
05-06-13, 22:57
How true... COE prices are indeed climbing up steadily. Mr Lui, how how how? Your free transport in the morning starting soon is not stopping people from buying cars! Even the 50% downpayment for big cars is not a deterrent. What's next? :beats-me-man:

Singaporeans sure know no boundaries... after an initial dip in COE prices after CM, its climbing back again. Similarly, after an initial slow down due to property market CM, housing prices are climbing again!

ST says the increase is due to new Merc E class. Could it be car rental are bidding coe for their upcoming rental fleet which targeting buyers who die die want to drive nice car but do not have the upfront 50% down payment, hence restoring to leasing one. :D

mygeemeel
05-06-13, 23:54
ST says the increase is due to new Merc E class. Could it be car rental are bidding coe for their upcoming rental fleet which targeting buyers who die die want to drive nice car but do not have the upfront 50% down payment, hence restoring to leasing one. :D

Last Sun i checkout the new EClass. Heard they got 180 orders. Available COE for bidding is 300. Of cos COE sure climb.

kane
06-06-13, 00:20
New a few months of bidding to clear all that orders if they did get 180 orders.

ysyap
06-06-13, 08:12
Last Sun i checkout the new EClass. Heard they got 180 orders. Available COE for bidding is 300. Of cos COE sure climb.That's a lot of E Class for one, two or three biddings... spoilt market! All the 2nd hand car dealers will surely mark up prices and tell potential buyers the market is v hot... no choice but to sell high high!

minority
06-06-13, 11:50
If poor, then should not be tied down to expensive car loan.
But if require car, then rent when required.
Or take taxi.

then some will scream favor the rich. not the poor.... u noe.

mygeemeel
06-06-13, 12:49
That's a lot of E Class for one, two or three biddings... spoilt market! All the 2nd hand car dealers will surely mark up prices and tell potential buyers the market is v hot... no choice but to sell high high!

C&C wants more new cars on the road. Publicity stunt. They will not wait for 3 biddings and owners can afford the small COE difference.

As we speak, C&C confirms receiving advance orders for Eclass Cabrio. Note: the buyers don't even know the selling price and yet paid in advance so that they will be the FIRST to drive on the road.

COE will continue to climb bcos new models are coming. New Sclass and facelift 5series. These are for the rich who don't blink even if need to pay full cash.

ysyap
06-06-13, 13:27
C&C wants more new cars on the road. Publicity stunt. They will not wait for 3 biddings and owners can afford the small COE difference.

As we speak, C&C confirms receiving advance orders for Eclass Cabrio. Note: the buyers don't even know the selling price and yet paid in advance so that they will be the FIRST to drive on the road.

COE will continue to climb bcos new models are coming. New Sclass and facelift 5series. These are for the rich who don't blink even if need to pay full cash.Therefore Mr Lui should quickly segregate the luxury cars such as S class to enter the same Cat B and spoil the market causing the rest of the buyers to be competing with them...

Please don't say if poor then don't drive big cars... there are big cars in the market that are purposely sold cheaper than Continental cars to allow for the price diversity... Sigh! Our COE system currently doesn't accommodate that. Still remember the QQ. COE cost a lot more than the OMV of QQ. Now QQ is extinct among new cars. Our system does not cater to that diversity!

This car market is gradually controlled by the rich and super rich!

princess_morbucks
06-06-13, 13:37
Therefore Mr Lui should quickly segregate the luxury cars such as S class to enter the same Cat B and spoil the market causing the rest of the buyers to be competing with them...

Please don't say if poor then don't drive big cars... there are big cars in the market that are purposely sold cheaper than Continental cars to allow for the price diversity... Sigh! Our COE system currently doesn't accommodate that. Still remember the QQ. COE cost a lot more than the OMV of QQ. Now QQ is extinct among new cars. Our system does not cater to that diversity!

Good idea!
I also hope that they have another category for luxury cars.

minority
07-06-13, 19:11
Therefore Mr Lui should quickly segregate the luxury cars such as S class to enter the same Cat B and spoil the market causing the rest of the buyers to be competing with them...

Cars are for those who can afford. Those can afford QQ is consider rich to those who can't even afford QQ. So how? Isn't those who can afford QQ consider rich pushing up the cat A for those who can't afford QQ?

ysyap
09-06-13, 12:39
Cars are for those who can afford. Those can afford QQ is consider rich to those who can't even afford QQ. So how? Isn't those who can afford QQ consider rich pushing up the cat A for those who can't afford QQ?Basically, Singapore does not allow that price diversity in motor vehicles. Sad to say this is so true and yes, those who can afford QQ are pushing the price further away from those who are struggling to afford one and that is our lovely system. So how? Just move out of our country so as to drive a QQ for those poorer guys? We should question why price and money is often used to control vehicle ownership in our country! I believe there are other ways which so many forummers have already suggested over different platforms and threads... :cheers5:

sh
09-06-13, 13:45
Basically, Singapore does not allow that price diversity in motor vehicles. Sad to say this is so true and yes, those who can afford QQ are pushing the price further away from those who are struggling to afford one and that is our lovely system. So how? Just move out of our country so as to drive a QQ for those poorer guys? We should question why price and money is often used to control vehicle ownership in our country! I believe there are other ways which so many forummers have already suggested over different platforms and threads... :cheers5:

Our system is truly uniquely Singapore. In big cities like New York and Hong Kong. Only the very rich drive into the city. Although cars are still relatively cheap, yet traffic though heavy is bearable. It is the sky-high parking charges that controls the number of cars in the city. In that system, the landlords get rich... here, well, you know who gets rich.... in any case... it's still the rich that gets to drive or be driven... Welcome to the free market system.

minority
09-06-13, 19:49
Basically, Singapore does not allow that price diversity in motor vehicles. Sad to say this is so true and yes, those who can afford QQ are pushing the price further away from those who are struggling to afford one and that is our lovely system. So how? Just move out of our country so as to drive a QQ for those poorer guys? We should question why price and money is often used to control vehicle ownership in our country! I believe there are other ways which so many forummers have already suggested over different platforms and threads... :cheers5:

Non COE there will still b people who cannot afford QQ so how? Free car for all?

ysyap
12-06-13, 17:51
Non COE there will still b people who cannot afford QQ so how? Free car for all?I never ever mention all must own a car or at least have the choice to own one... :confused:

Let's just analyze...

Monthly income < $1k, take bus/MRT (no vehicle ownership)
$1k to $3k, drive motorbike
$3k to $5k, drive QQ, Vios, City, March, etc
$5k to $7k, drive Altis, Civic, etc
$7k to $10k, drive Accord, Camry, Teana, etc
$10k to $13k, drive 3 series, E class, etc
> $13k, drive 5 series, S class, 7 series, etc...

Can or not?

minority
12-06-13, 18:59
I never ever mention all must own a car or at least have the choice to own one... :confused:

Let's just analyze...

Monthly income < $1k, take bus/MRT (no vehicle ownership)
$1k to $3k, drive motorbike
$3k to $5k, drive QQ, Vios, City, March, etc
$5k to $7k, drive Altis, Civic, etc
$7k to $10k, drive Accord, Camry, Teana, etc
$10k to $13k, drive 3 series, E class, etc
> $13k, drive 5 series, S class, 7 series, etc...

Can or not?

Can can u also have to factor inflation over time. and in real world income and inflation are never linear across the income group. also dont mean make 13K expenses are low. maybe got so much gearing only left 1K per mth to spend coz its individual life style.

but imagine everyone have car dont u think we will be like Bangkok. or Indonesia?

Car is a excess. maybe for those earning lesser might be better off investing the $ they spend on a car into something or spend to upgrade skill set to move up the income bracket. than on a Car.

ysyap
12-06-13, 20:23
Car is a excess. maybe for those earning lesser might be better off investing the $ they spend on a car into something or spend to upgrade skill set to move up the income bracket. than on a Car.Will not dispute with that. As you said, its all about lifestyle! Mr Lui already implementing the free train rides before 7.30am come July. Will probably affect only those who are currently taking public transport. May not have a huge impact on car owners but then again i may be wrong to make that assumption. We'll see about that. Indeed those earning less should not try very hard to own a car coz vehicles are indeed an excess item for most people where one can do without.