Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121722 ... LastLast

Thread: STOCKS THREAD

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Actually, foreigners buying US stocks just for yield not quite worth the while because of 30% withholding tax that you can't get back! I always go for capital gain any time!

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderkind View Post
    What goes up can easily come down. Therefore, before you leap, you need to understand the business which is the stock that you are investing in. You need to do some homework on the business. Check the fundamentals and their growth strategy and assess them in the light of developments both current and future.

I have selected a list of US stocks that provide a reasonably good dividend yield while at the same time, they show growth potential especially in light of the current world situation. Some of the stocks like ESV & BP still offer potential opportunity for upside, but others may have, in my opinion, limited upsides as they have run up quite substantially in the last few weeks.

Same advice as always -- don't take unnecessary risks. If you can't sleep at night, you have crossed the line.

if u read GIC ... it is pretty much same as Yale / Harvard approach of a passive portfolio but allow another active portfolio overlay

The core asset classes in the Policy (passive) Portfolio are:

developed market equities
    emerging market equities
    nominal bonds and cash
    inflation-linked bonds
    private equity
    real estate

In its annual report for 2012/2013, GIC reported 5, 10 and 20-year annualised nominal returns in USD terms of 2.6%, 8.8% and 6.5% respectively. It also reported a 20-year real rate of return of 4.0%. The rolling 20-year real rate of return is the primary metric for the Government to evaluate GIC’s investment performance

20y real return in USD of 4%
    Ride at your own risk !!!

Convert to S$ return means negative return since now US$1 = S$1.25 vs US$1 = S$1.70 previously?

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera View Post
    if u read GIC ... it is pretty much same as Yale / Harvard approach of a passive portfolio but allow another active portfolio overlay

The core asset classes in the Policy (passive) Portfolio are:

developed market equities
    emerging market equities
    nominal bonds and cash
    inflation-linked bonds
    private equity
    real estate

In its annual report for 2012/2013, GIC reported 5, 10 and 20-year annualised nominal returns in USD terms of 2.6%, 8.8% and 6.5% respectively. It also reported a 20-year real rate of return of 4.0%. The rolling 20-year real rate of return is the primary metric for the Government to evaluate GIC’s investment performance

20y real return in USD of 4%

Dow gold ratio has plunged below 13 .... big surprise of the year must be gold / oil price perform "empire strikes back"

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    Convert to S$ return means negative return since now US$1 = S$1.25 vs US$1 = S$1.70 previously?
    They might do better if just buy and hold S&P 500 ETF since 20y ago

That is what is advocated by Warren Buffett to his trustee in the event of his death (since they can't invest and perform as well as him).......

Similarly, these people if can't invest and perform well, how can they take higher salary than Warren Buffett?

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera View Post
    They might do better if just buy and hold S&P 500 ETF since 20y ago

Tried emailing Charles Schwabb, the listed parent company of OptionsXpress also no reply. They of the same kind? Real bad customer service!

Ok, I found that 2 alternatives to OptionsXpress that can trade futures and also US equities:
    1) ThinkOrSwim - TD Ameritrade
    https://www.thinkorswim.com.sg/tos/client/index.jsp

2) Saxo Capital Markets
    http://sg.saxomarkets.com/

For people who are frustrated with OptionsXpress, they can look into these 2 brokerages..................
    Anybody using OptionsXpress Singapore? Their customer service really sucks big time! Email them a few times yet no reply!
    They only have this email [email protected]
    Wanted to escalate but cannot find any other managers' email!
    Wow! Their managers so scare their customers email them!
    Scare of people complain them bad service?

Wow! Didn't expect S&P500 so fast 1961 liao!
    More to come?!

more about DCA (with a bit of spices)

http://news.morningstar.com/articlen...aspx?id=650678

Default The Cost of Waiting

Someone wrote this :

Investors should keep in mind that it is costly to stay on the sidelines, waiting for a correction. First of all, they miss the dividend so they need a greater correction just to breakeven. They also miss the aggressive share repurchases, which result in significantly higher stock prices. Moreover, as the average historical market return is about 8%, they run the risk of missing significant capital appreciation while they wait on the sidelines. As the average duration of bull markets (31 months) is much longer than that of bear markets (10 months), the odds do not favor remaining on the sidelines.

Unquote

The tendency of the human heart is to go into the markets unaware especially when the bulls are charging full steam , but from my experience, calculated risk taking, understanding the business fundamentals and the interplay of current and future macro developments and patience when invested or un-invested are still valuable traits needed in stock investment.

There is no way we can time the market. We need to do the homework on the business. If there is intrinsic value in the business and a margin of safety is present at the price you are planning to buy, coupled with the potential impetus provided by the current and future macro development, this is the business you can safely invest in.

But do not take unnecessary risk.

Money is hard to earn but very easy to lose if you are careless.

In stocks investment, there is no 1 strategy but many..............
    Some people like to trade and make money (but need more time in front of the "square")...............
    Some people buy and hold almost forever...................
    As long as make money, any strategy is ok.......................

Someone wrote this :

Investors should keep in mind that it is costly to stay on the sidelines, waiting for a correction. First of all, they miss the dividend so they need a greater correction just to breakeven. They also miss the aggressive share repurchases, which result in significantly higher stock prices. Moreover, as the average historical market return is about 8%, they run the risk of missing significant capital appreciation while they wait on the sidelines. As the average duration of bull markets (31 months) is much longer than that of bear markets (10 months), the odds do not favor remaining on the sidelines.

Unquote

The tendency of the human heart is to go into the markets unaware especially when the bulls are charging full steam , but from my experience, calculated risk taking, understanding the business fundamentals and the interplay of current and future macro developments and patience when invested or un-invested are still valuable traits needed in stock investment.

There is no way we can time the market. We need to do the homework on the business. If there is intrinsic value in the business and a margin of safety is present at the price you are planning to buy, coupled with the potential impetus provided by the current and future macro development, this is the business you can safely invest in.

Default Buying Strategies for a Rising Market

Buying Strategies For A Rising Market

Chasing stocks higher during a market rally is an easy trap to fall into if you don't establish a long-term buying strategy. There's certainly no harm in taking a few nibbles during a rally since none of us have a crystal ball (and stocks could always go higher). That said, patiently waiting for a low-risk entry point for a given stock will drastically improve your long-term investment results.

Unquote

The strategy that I use follows the recommendations of the writer of the article

1. Establish a " buy zone " for the stock. As mentioned, you need to determine the intrinsic value of the stock, the forecast growth/future cash flow and determine your buy zone for the stock with a margin of safety

2. Keep a Stock Watch-list at hand. This, I did as I mentioned in my previous post. Since the time I posted the stock watch-list, I have bought into some of the stocks. All the stocks have moved up quite a bit since , so I would advise caution if you are thinking of buying them now.

3. Buy in stages. This , I did. I have set a target of maximum shares that I would like to buy for the stock, and I bought them in stages. I would like to buy all at one shot, but we never know how the market will turn out, but so far, all the stocks have done well.

Do I worry if the market should turn south ? Not really, because there is a margin of safety that I am prepared to accept for loss and the stocks have provided dividends for me when I bought them at the right time.

Hi bros

Singtel dropped abit on Friday... Since I can't buy property now. I am thinking of ploughing a huge part of my savings on this stock.

What do yo think? Or should I wait for slight correction but it may never come...

There is only one strategy in a bull market, BTFD

Whether u want to do all in one shot, DCA, DCA+-, active trading, active mixed with passive (HPT), aplha beta gamma is up to u

and u know what, be fearful of holding cash as u are fighting The FED, ECB, BOJ, BOE etc etc etc

sg hsehold has 37% cash on avg

historical return on cash is -1.36%

last 5y likely to b -3%

Thanks Bro Phantom

But cannot like that say, i bought into a very good company 2 weeks ago and I lost $28k...I am not speculating some more, i do lots of homework and study the company, .so sometime holding cash may not be a bad thing after all. I do not like to mislead people.

Dumped all cash in blue chips. Use dividends to pay instalments. As simple as that. As long as you dont sell where got lost?

Quote Originally Posted by 3C View Post
    Dumped all cash in blue chips. Use dividends to pay instalments. As simple as that. As long as you dont sell where got lost?
    So when need to sell to raise cash, how?

My close relative does not believe in properties cos he feels that he can make more money in stock ....now he is down by at least 50% of his worth....

Not everyone is Warren ya.

I am a stock goondo. I am just stating my experience.

How can he be down 50% in stocks when global stock indices are mostly up? He speculating rather than "investing"?

Quote Originally Posted by Werther View Post

My close relative does not believe in properties cos he feels that he can make more money in stock ....now he is down by at least 50% of his worth....

How can he be down 50% in stocks when global stock indices are mostly up? He speculating rather than "investing"?
    He very jialat. Greed.

Quote Originally Posted by Werther View Post

you have the answers already. This strategy is for goondo investor who dont know how to play stocks like me and want to sleep well every night. Will not win big or lose big but steady poon pi pi type of investment. Want to be like warren buffet than you must spend 2 plus million to have kopi with him first.

Quote Originally Posted by 3C View Post
    you have the answers already. This strategy is for goondo investor who dont know how to play stocks like me and want to sleep well every night. Will not win big or lose big but steady poon pi pi type of investment. Want to be like warren buffet than you must spend 2 plus million to have kopi with him first.
    No need to spend 2mil to drink kopi with warren buffett.

U need to love stock investment and spend most of your time researching and reading and learning... then u can make greater than 10% compounded per year...

many do not love stock investment so most cannot make big amount consistently year after year...

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies View Post
    No need to spend 2mil to drink kopi with warren buffett.

U need to love stock investment and spend most of your time researching and reading and learning... then u can make greater than 10% compounded per year...

many do not love stock investment so most cannot make big amount consistently year after year...
    Maybe you are right. Always think that short term to me is gambling and not investment. Hence I now tend to go for long term good dividend stocks

Diversified passive with DCA (e.g Vanguard index ETF) should be the strategy in the depth of bear market, for a bit more fun u can do a certain % of active strategy in bull market (aka stock or sector pick :-)

Wow! S&P500 1972 liao!

Wow! Didn't expect S&P500 so fast 1961 liao!
    More to come?!

Someone wrote this :

Unquote

The stock market is likely to push through the current peaks due to excess liquidity in a environment of low interest rates. Corporate earnings looks promising in the second half of the year due to improving economic performance in US and China.

So, where do I put my money in ?
    The stocks in my watch list has evolved since I last published. It now includes stocks in the healthcare as well as chemicals. Oil related stocks and utilities are still in my watchlist for their good dividends and potential price appreciation due to the instability in Iraq.

The stocks under watch are : BP, RIG, ESV, EW, CFN, OMI, PPL, CE, INTC , BAC and C.

doubled up by NDX position last week

any advice on Ocbc?

Wow! S&P500 1972 liao!
    Hi Teddy Sir

You the man

I was wrong in the overall market reading anticipating a correction to come
    since early this year