Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genuine upgrader's worry

in short, want everything lah! go for it man!

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    10yrs ago, its quite a norm for married couples to stay with in-laws for a while after marriage....they will save up and den buy a HDB

BUT now things have changed......newly wed couples wud expect to have a flat NOW....5yrs later wud expect to upgrade to condo and afford a car....the more u spoon feed them....the worse it become.....give them an inch they demand a MILE
    no lah...newly wed couples only expect to have an EC/Condo and car/s NOW!

10yrs ago, its quite a norm for married couples to stay with in-laws for a while after marriage....they will save up and den buy a HDB

BUT now things have changed......newly wed couples wud expect to have a flat NOW....5yrs later wud expect to upgrade to condo and afford a car....the more u spoon feed them....the worse it become.....give them an inch they demand a MILE
    Just thinking about changes. We cannot expect our current generation of newly weds to behave like their parents 20yrs ago. We cannot expect us to return to stay in attap houses, can we?

The fact that these newly weds can buy flats now instead of staying with parents is evident that they have started saving earlier. This is logical. Couples today generally marry later (coz university, etc) therefore they tend to have the capacity to save more thus afford a HDB upon marriage at about 30yrs old (statistic 2 yrs back for guys are 30yrs old and ladies 28yrs old when they marry). With generally more education, etc, and the changes with times and ideals, young couples would naturally be inclined to upgrade after MOP. You are right though that our younger generation demand more (inch vs mile) but the mentality beneath should not be penalised. It is how we manage this ever evolving mentality of wanting to upgrade... Just my 2 cents worth...

Quote Originally Posted by apple3
    Ms Pampered is from xyz generation which is perfectly norm nowsaday.
    yes, yes... different generation has different capabilities and differing aspiration... in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the "upgrade" mentality...

for example, in my own case, my parents had only few years of primary schooling but they are knowledgeable enough to "upgrade" my siblings and myself to at least a diploma "toilet paper"...

so that we can lead a "better" life, which is true in terms of the basic things like security, food and roof...

so, i think "upgrade" mentality is good in that, it makes me want to be better than the current situation... so if I want better deal, then I have to improve continuously... but of course, have to depend on myself and not "demand" from anyone...

many of our forefathers and ancestors came here as part of their "upgrade" plan from their homeland and accomplished really a lot, all based on their own capabilities...

the younger generations (including myself) really have a lot to learn from our forefathers' spirits....

upgrade mentality is good if one work hard for it....however, they expect to be spoon fed

I don't really agree on the term "upgrade". I would said, "changes". Or if you like a tinge of ang mo favor; "paradigm shift".

I was born 5-6 years after world war 2. Our family home was burned down in bukit ho swee. Back then, while putting up at community centre make up tent, our family biggest concern is a shelter.

And now, my biggest concern is the hungry of time to play with my grandchild. I have aspiration, but never have those "upgrade" mentality thoughout my lifespan, especially when it come to dollar & cents.

Quote Originally Posted by limfc
    yes, yes... different generation has different capabilities and differing aspiration... in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the "upgrade" mentality...

for example, in my own case, my parents had only few years of primary schooling but they are knowledgeable enough to "upgrade" my siblings and myself to at least a diploma "toilet paper"...

so that we can lead a "better" life, which is true in terms of the basic things like security, food and roof...

so, i think "upgrade" mentality is good in that, it makes me want to be better than the current situation... so if I want better deal, then I have to improve continuously... but of course, have to depend on myself and not "demand" from anyone...

many of our forefathers and ancestors came here as part of their "upgrade" plan from their homeland and accomplished really a lot, all based on their own capabilities...

the younger generations (including myself) really have a lot to learn from our forefathers' spirits....

So we shouldnt be so hard on the current FT or FW. Afterall, our forefathers were also china men or klings

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    So we shouldnt be so hard on the current FT or FW. Afterall, our forefathers were also china men or klings
    Yes, let's not be so hard on them. live and let live they also made sacrifice back home, in order to be here.

Yes, let's not be so hard on them. live and let live they also made sacrifice back home, in order to be here.
    one FT comes to sg...they earn 3k for eg...but they will spend 1-2k locally as well....

tats how our HDB prices suddenly escalate by 55% since 1st qtr of 2007 and with this bottom up effect, mass market price increase oustripped other segments....BUT LANDED IS THE BIGGEST WINNER.....haiz

to those who say HDB resale prices to fall: will only happen if SG is no longer an attractive place for FTs to come

these cooling measures will only cool the COV but not the price

really? are they the only ones who make sacrifices?
    they hv a choice to be here or go home, if they find the goings not to their liking, i say too bad
    i dun see why we shld mollycoddle & bend backwards to accomodate them.

Quote Originally Posted by august
    really? are they the only ones who make sacrifices?
    they hv a choice to be here or go home, if they find the goings not to their liking, i say too bad
    i dun see why we shld mollycoddle & bend backwards to accomodate them.
    our replacement rate is 1.2x and we nid to maintain our population at 2.1....according to wat i read...hehe

so....u want our population to shrink or expand???

as an investor, i wud love to see both economy and population to expand....just hope tat our social stability remains healthy and crime rate remains at current low

our replacement rate is 1.2x and we nid to maintain our population at 2.1....according to wat i read...hehe

so....u want our population to shrink or expand???

as an investor, i wud love to see both economy and population to expand....just hope tat our social stability remains healthy and crime rate remains at current low
    this population replacement rubbish is a red herring to justify the continued import of foreigners to achieve GDP growth, a growth that is not sustainable as per capita growth is not increasing and explains why productivity continues to decline. investors shld be concerned about sustainable growth & not miss the forest for the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by august
    this population replacement rubbish is a red herring to justify the continued import of foreigners to achieve GDP growth, a growth that is not sustainable as per capita growth is not increasing and explains why productivity continues to decline. investors shld be concerned about sustainable growth & not miss the forest for the trees.
    gd contrarian views

so which means future firesales still intact?

i loves boom and doom....

current boom is not big enuff....we nid bigger bubble!!!

Marginal upgraders are probably the high risk group in firesales.
    Is there any data on whether it's the foreigners, PRs or locals that conributed most to firesales?

gd contrarian views

so which means future firesales still intact?

i loves boom and doom....

current boom is not big enuff....we nid bigger bubble!!!
    U are the Devil!

So mean.