Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: New Rules to Cool Property Market

Reflex action bro...everyone's trying to focus on the silver lining and trying not to be scared shitless by the possibility of getting screwed by all these new measures..hoho....

The truth is lurking round the corner...it seems all will be affected...

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad
    There are many ways to skin a cat. but you guys are carried away. those rich in high end condos say the measures will benefit them, and those that are rich in hdb and MM units are saying that the measures will benefit them instead.

what can the government do to really scare you into not speculating? Do they really have to send in firing squads?

Quote Originally Posted by peterng8
    xiao ar..than where those so called" foreign talent" from low end countries stay? ask them to buy resale hdb or private condo?? i dont think it is possible unless work for few years...and some just go for renting eg foreign students...garmen want to import foreign talents so housing is one issue unless you want garmen to push all resale HDB price now too...
    Foreign workers can stay in company housing foreign student can stay on campus. I think it is unfair to let people use their HDB flat to "make money" buy renting it out, afterall HDB is suppose to be for those that need a house to stay not for greedy people. Hope government do something about this.

Quote Originally Posted by solarius
    Hi guys,

What happens if a person has a home loan and just signed the OTP for another private property last week before 30th August. Will the bank loan 80% or 70%? Thanks!
    Relax. 80% confirmed. Your banker should have already told you.

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    Relax. 80% confirmed. Your banker should have already told you.
    why some people simply donch understand from 30th August 2010?

The influx of PRs came down over the last 24 months after Singaporean aired their discomfort.

In my view, the adjustment of the HDB price will be stable depending on which estate we refers.

HDB resale price no longer can fetch high COV for 30 Aug announcement.

Right now HDB resale will cater to those buying for home stay. So transaction will be low. Price shall maintain with low/No COV.

Once government accepted more PR applications after the election, HDB resale transaction will move again. It is usually for those estate that has got cheaper resale transaction or estate that these PRs are familiar with.

I believe those HDB in Woodlands/Sembawang/Yishun estate will have marginally increase whereas those in Bishan will stabilize since the resale price has been driven up over the last 18 months by those private property investor with high COV.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    anyway, its not so simple to buy under parent's name lah...

if buy under ur parent's name, ur wife will KPKB....so, u goto include in-laws as well....more ppl involve= more headache...haha
    And if any of them die without a will....... intestate will kick in. You will then find out if you or wife have greedy siblings. Especially nice for them as they don't have name on mortgage - all equity , no debt risk

Wah Lau! Idea siah...time to convince my rich siblings to buy property under my parents name!

Quote Originally Posted by EBD
    And if any of them die without a will....... intestate will kick in. You will then find out if you or wife have greedy siblings. Especially nice for them as they don't have name on mortgage - all equity , no debt risk

Quote Originally Posted by cher
    Foreign workers can stay in company housing foreign student can stay on campus. I think it is unfair to let people use their HDB flat to "make money" buy renting it out, afterall HDB is suppose to be for those that need a house to stay not for greedy people. Hope government do something about this.
    Dont worry government will do something about it if the percentage of those owning hdb flats and staying in private is increasing or significant..but seems that this is not the case...it has been shut off by this drastic measures liao....

Give it another 6 months and then I think the pty market will be down to more sustainable levels

Quote Originally Posted by wolkom
    can anyone help me with these questions:

Can i check if these changes only apply from 30th aug (yesterday) or can be backdated?
    Ie. if i currently own 2 properties - one HDB bought in 2007, one condo bought in 2009, the MOP that applies is 3 yrs, not 5 yrs right?

Also with regards to the change that pte property owners cannot own HDB, they must sell their existing pte property - this also does not apply if we have bought our properties few yrs back, am i right?

thanks in advance!
    You are very safe. You may find ur ans in this link
    http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10325p....s?OpenDocument

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    Give it another 6 months and then I think the pty market will be down to more sustainable levels
    u will be wrong....if everything stays status quo (barring any unforeseen global black swan event), 6mths later, pent up demand is created and will lead to a price surge (just in line with next yr bonuses)

i wud expect some kneel jerk reaction in the near term (next 6mths)....5% discount likely...i am sure some urgent sellers will lower down their asking prices from today....happy hunting

for HDB: expect lower COV from today! BUT dun expect below valuation hor....later u miss this boat again...

as for me: i hope to sniff out gd deals for 2mil landed

Quote Originally Posted by dnomyarw
    According to this graph, the price will hit 100,000psf real soon...
    Even Albert Einstein will not able to understand how?

wow lke that those who have not profit taking now sure regret big time.. .

as for me: i hope to sniff out gd deals for 2mil landed
    I saw one last week...but got house share wall on right, and house share wall on left...that type you want?

Such demand side measures should come long time ago. But I hope our government stop the supply tap - imagine tighten demand and keep releasing land, market may really crash come 2012

Quote Originally Posted by repanse71
    I believe the measures will not have much impact after initial 1-2 months of look-see-look-see. Why?

1. Too much liquidity around
    2. Many old timer investers still suffers from Lehman debacle, so will stick to property
    3. Low interest rate environment to last for a while
    4. Developers will reconfigure offering to ensure similar cash quantum to move MM units
    5. Foreigners are still arriving in droves.
    6. Developers will cherry-pick the sites released by URA and price upwards accordingly. No one wanna be stupid to reduce price first. See case of no bidders for Jurong West EC site. If government want to reduce price, land sale must be sequentially taken up, next site only available after earlier ones are sold.

Quote Originally Posted by flxcat
    Hmm..... Maybe really the 10% of pte owners really chases the Cov up up up. Even Good that now things are going back to the norm for the 90% of resale HDB buyers hee....cheers
    i doubt so leh, this 10% really got such big impact? 5% buy & hold so impact little, the other 5% buy & sell. Question is sell to who? Investor sell to another investor, can't be right? 1st investor must make a tidy sum before it's worth the hassle after deduct expenses. So i doubt this 5% flipper make such a big impact, it's rather the 95% buyers that are making this run up prices.

95% are who? (100%-5% that buy to hold)
    -Current HDB owners shifting location (up or downgrade)
    -Downgraders from Pte/Enbloc (might have been classified as 'Pte buy & hold' 5% above)
    -New couples can't wait 2.5~3.0yrs BTO
    -immigrants (1 in 3 now)

Which is the biggest group here that needed immediate housing? If it happens to be (3), will MND say this? Knowing Sporeans sure KPKB & GE coming. Must remember our doors are still open.

Suddenly i feel like taking mrt during rush hour & try to spot how many are not 'locals' to have a feel.

Don't shoot me pls, i just offering another view, i might be wrong

Anyway on the positive note it's good that Garment shut the door for pte to buy hdb, this should stop the complainers speculating & blaming pte ppty owners driving up hdb prices. Let's see PO wise words are right. DP says it will cause pent up demand for ppty, prices will chiong further. This one really nice music to hear in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by maisonjai
    i doubt so leh, this 10% really got such big impact? 5% buy & hold so impact little, the other 5% buy & sell. Question is sell to who? Investor sell to another investor, can't be right? 1st investor must make a tidy sum before it's worth the hassle after deduct expenses. So i doubt this 5% flipper make such a big impact, it's rather the 95% buyers that are making this run up prices.

95% are who? (100%-5% that buy to hold)
    -Current HDB owners shifting location (up or downgrade)
    -Downgraders from Pte/Enbloc (might have been classified as 'Pte buy & hold' 5% above)
    -New couples can't wait 2.5~3.0yrs BTO
    -immigrants (1 in 3 now)

Which is the biggest group here that needed immediate housing? If it happens to be (3), will MND say this? Knowing Sporeans sure KPKB & GE coming. Must remember our doors are still open.

Suddenly i feel like taking mrt during rush hour & try to spot how many are not 'locals' to have a feel.

Don't shoot me pls, i just offering another view, i might be wrong
    it's the elephant in the room ~

The West r struggling to revive their housing slumps...

on the other hand, asia r worried about housing bubbles

asia decoupling story again??

97-2005 asia financial crisis while the west r enjoying their life

07-2020 western subprime crisis while asia.....

The West r struggling to revive their housing slumps...

on the other hand, asia r worried about housing bubbles

asia decoupling story again??

97-2005 asia financial crisis while the west r enjoying their life

07-2020 western subprime crisis while asia.....
    That's right. Look at the two graphs below.

While Singapore's housing market collapsed in 1996/97, the US housing market continued to go up, even during the dot com bubble bust and September 11. That's not fair, given that the dot com bust was THEIR bubble and Osama flew the aeroplane into New York and not Singapore.

US Housing Price Index

Singapore Housing Price Index

Anyway, from the Singapore price index graph, the 4 times the market went down, it was because of external factors and not government intervention.

why some people simply donch understand from 30th August 2010?
    before 30aug every was so clear and certain ..the other way is UP

on and after 30 aug .. everything is certainly unclear

n why are prople afraid of 80 or 70 pct?

unless 20 pct is all they have

Quote Originally Posted by maisonjai

This one really nice music to hear in this forum.

i am not sure how powerful these 5-10 pct have been

but we must not underestimate the power of propaganda ..

remmeber we used to see only "NEW HIGH" ever single tues and fridays ?

remember we used to read about Crowds/ blannk cheques in the papers ?

one sided reports like these have an impact of buyers and sellers ..

i almost got into endless and unnecessary arguments with some forumers on these ..

i only wanted to warn people not to read too much into these , but to do one's own research .. and kana branded as i trying to stop people from making money , or instilling fear of collapse

anyway i gave up ..cos at that time people only wanted to hear the good things

i am not saying now it will collapse .. but when things becomes extreme ..we should know and must know that something will be done to bring it back to manageable equilibrium

when we read about those developer Q result, they are making hundred of millions, we know they have been making tidy sum on the margin of their units.

It is time for them to sell at at "fair value" market price ...

Makes absolute sense

Without totally vexing the bulls... one has to take a cold hard look at the changed picture. It is a no brainer to know that sentiment will be very badly hit by the latest measures. 2 distinct categories (hdb and pte) has been clearly delineated, and never the twain shall meet.

You got one existing loan, you need to cough up 30% instead of 20%. For a 1 million property, that is another S$100,000. Not peanuts for the average joe. Plus now you need 3 years to avoid the SSD. And you need to sell your private property to buy a non subsidised hdb flat, and if you already have bought hdb, you need a mop of 5 years to see it through. Translated, there is no incentive to push property and profit from it for quite a long time. Investment demand for mass market and mid tier condos and the hdb segment are thrown out of the window, and rightly so at such red hot ludicrous prices. Owner occupation is the focus here.

Only the mega rich in the luxury apts may not have such constraints, then again... why would they want to pay top dollar when they know the rest of the property segment is not doing well? Rich folks are the most penny pinching blokes

Sentiment Pressure Valve has been released on Monday. Takes a while to regain.

My take is that the current measures will not cause prices to fall. Most developers and home owners can hold and won't sell cheap as they can service their low interest loan instalments.
    The result could be 95% potential 2nd property buyer and investors will put off their plan. There will be a long standoff with very few transactions. This will definitely affect Property agents, housing loan bankers and conveyancy lawyers most and they could end up "beating mosquitoes" and "eating grass" for the next 6-9 months.
    Price will likely fall and desperate sellers emerge only if there is an increase of mortgage rates to above 3%
    Last edited by calvenng; 01-09-10 at 10:40.

this may sound like a stupid question.

If the cash down payment is raised to 10% from 5%, and loan is reduced from 80% to 70%, then who is going to pay the remaining 20% (100%-10%-70%)?

I have never borrowed from banks for property purchases. so, this thing baffles me?

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad
    this may sound like a stupid question.

If the cash down payment is raised to 10% from 5%, and loan is reduced from 80% to 70%, then who is going to pay the remaining 20% (100%-10%-70%)?

I have never borrowed from banks for property purchases. so, this thing baffles me?
    Your CPF if they have enough to cover the 20%. If no CPF then all 30% cash.

Okay, the good old CPF. Now it makes sense. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    unless 20 pct is all they have
    u will be very surprised to find this is indeed the case.

many Singaporeans' (ok not you or teddy or devil rich fellows, but average joes on the street) condo dream constitutes of this:
    1) buy direct HDB from gov
    2) save 2yrs enough cash/cpf for the 20% of a mass market condo (depending on how "rich" you are, either a 2bd, or 3bd, or PH)
    3) buy with the 20% min
    4) sell the HDB, pocket the 100k min profit ("citizen's bonus"), and this 100k goes into the new condo then, reducing the loan to <70%.

condo dream achieved. and with a small loan too.

better still in 3), buy at new launch, so have time to save. never mind new launch is more ex. since got more time to save.

So now, with the 70% rule, I believe many many upgraders are affected. You have to save longer now.