Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your views - Currency deposit interest vs rental income

Default What are your views - Currency deposit interest vs rental income

I have been monitoring currencies like the Australian dollar and interest rates in their savings and deposit accounts work out to between 3-4.6% per annum, which seem to offer a higher rate of return compared to condo rental. For instance if you put $500k into a Aussie account yielding 4.6%, it works out to $1900 of interest a month, rather attractive by today's standards for that amount. Of course the downside would be currency risk.

But you lose out on capital gains.

That is why I chose to pose this topic in this current market. do not foresee much capital gain coming from buying a private property at the current peak. Those who buy property will end up like those who bought in 1996, having to recoup only in this upcycle more than 10 years later. the current US economy is bouyant simply becoz of tax cuts, when the tax cuts are lifted, the increase in taxes and interest hikes will cause the economy to go into a dip. Double dip is inevitable and signs can be seen from the current property market in US. When would the crisis start some of you may ask, it won't be long, beginning of next year....

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    But you lose out on capital gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    I have been monitoring currencies like the Australian dollar and interest rates in their savings and deposit accounts work out to between 3-4.6% per annum, which seem to offer a higher rate of return compared to condo rental. For instance if you put $500k into a Aussie account yielding 4.6%, it works out to $1900 of interest a month, rather attractive by today's standards for that amount. Of course the downside would be currency risk.
    FX risk should not be underestimated. Fx is the most volatile, unpredictable investment instrument and easily manipulated by the central banks. Do it if you need the currency, such as if you intend to migrate to Australia. So unless you are a trader or you have multi-currencies deposits as a hedge, it is not advisable to place too funds into it, take it as a speculation and hope that AUD to strengthen over time.

Good strategy esp if you think ozzie. Ie think in aud, use gains to invest in aud prop cap gains, time, etc. Too much hassle to think sgd

if u tink crisis is coming soon....the more u shdnt change into AUD now...rem AUD only 1 to 1 SGD early last yr after lehman bro saga

but having said tat, during crisis, $$ shd be spent on GSS!!!

AUD even went below the 1-1 parity...

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    if u tink crisis is coming soon....the more u shdnt change into AUD now...rem AUD only 1 to 1 SGD early last yr after lehman bro saga

I think the sgd has gone up too far in the back of dodgy economic growth claims. In a recession, i would dump the sgd and go into commodity backed currencies or the yen

AUD does give good interest rate. As you mentioned, the risk is there with exchange differences when you go in then getting out. AUD has been quite volitile since April till now due to politics in country. Exchange rate versus SGD can go either way till end of the year

Quote Originally Posted by gfoo
    I think the sgd has gone up too far in the back of dodgy economic growth claims. In a recession, i would dump the sgd and go into commodity backed currencies or the yen
    I wud rather use the money to showhand on stocks. Can leverage smmore....Alternatively, i wud choose gold bar rather den aud

Why Aussie $ after what happen to the recent political scene?
    Quote Originally Posted by JuzMe
    AUD does give good interest rate. As you mentioned, the risk is there with exchange differences when you go in then getting out. AUD has been quite volitile since April till now due to politics in country. Exchange rate versus SGD can go either way till end of the year

I wud rather use the money to showhand on stocks. Can leverage smmore....Alternatively, i wud choose gold bar rather den aud
    Physical gold is a given - everyone should have their gold and silver shelter set up

I'm a gold bug

Will it hit $2000 at the end of this year?

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Will it hit $2000 at the end of this year?
    higher chance of winning to bet on NO

but will gold eventually hit 2k....YES

you are right, when aud goes down, buy more yen

Quote Originally Posted by gfoo

lol...i think so too, but wouldnt commodity prices soar when currencies are down? I had many regrets in life and gold is one of them. I should have bought 10kg of gold bar when prices were hovering at $18...lol

1-1 parity is too risky for our economy especially against major currencies like aud. we want to keep our exports affordable to these developed countries so our govt will adjust our currency to keep it lower for the sake of competitiveness. Our govt always looks at the big picture...

Double dip is inevitable and signs can be seen from the current property market in US. When would the crisis start some of you may ask, it won't be long, beginning of next year....
    if you are a firm believer of this, then you could simply buy puts on all the major indexes. no need to look at the miserable yields from any ccy.

not into options and unfamiliar with such instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    if you are a firm believer of this, then you could simply buy puts on all the major indexes. no need to look at the miserable yields from any ccy.

for local stocks, i ever go long on short using cfd....very simple...interest rates not high

i did shorting on some stocks during 08 and hold for more den 6mths

amk: u noe alot about forex?

forex min leverage 20x rite? i attend forex seminar b4 by philips

That is why I chose to pose this topic in this current market. do not foresee much capital gain coming from buying a private property at the current peak. Those who buy property will end up like those who bought in 1996, having to recoup only in this upcycle more than 10 years later. the current US economy is bouyant simply becoz of tax cuts, when the tax cuts are lifted, the increase in taxes and interest hikes will cause the economy to go into a dip. Double dip is inevitable and signs can be seen from the current property market in US. When would the crisis start some of you may ask, it won't be long, beginning of next year....
    For investing in a property, mid-term 5-10 years there is still a good chance of capital gain. But short-term is very risky now as interest rates are moving up. You can see this increase for NZD and AUD fixed deposit rates easily this year (I have some NZD deposits). It should be quite interesting in 2011 when many projects TOP. By then if interest rate here starts to move up marginally, sentiment will change. I'm just waiting for this to happen to get another property while accumulating my savings in NZD.

I recommend you read the economist Andy Xie's blog. His predictions are quite accurate. Compare what he said early last year to what is happening now http://english.caijing.com.cn/2009-04-13/110142377.html
    He mentioned several times 2012 is the year to watch out (I suggest you lock the interest rates to cover 2012 onwards if you have loans). More of his blogs are here in Mandarin
    http://xieguozhong.blog.sohu.com/entry/
    Last edited by hyenergix; 29-08-10 at 06:14.

For investing in a property, mid-term 5-10 years there is still a good chance of capital gain. But short-term is very risky now as interest rates are moving up. You can see this increase for NZD and AUD fixed deposit rates easily this year (I have some NZD deposits). It should be quite interesting in 2011 when many projects TOP. By then if interest rate here starts to move up marginally, sentiment will change. I'm just waiting for this to happen to get another property while accumulating my savings in NZD.

I recommend you read the economist Andy Xie's blog. His predictions are quite accurate. Compare what he said early last year to what is happening now http://english.caijing.com.cn/2009-04-13/110142377.html
    He mentioned several times 2012 is the year to watch out (I suggest you lock the interest rates to cover 2012 onwards if you have loans). More of his blogs are here in Mandarin
    http://xieguozhong.blog.sohu.com/entry/
    u sold ur ppty? how come waiting to buy? last yr nvr buy when its low?

Actually bought a sub sale unit this yr due to office new location, but e price didn't move up much from launch price. Mid to long term still worth buying. Looking for a MM unit w good location if e price is really good. But e interest rate is key worry.

Actually bought a sub sale unit this yr due to office new location, but e price didn't move up much from launch price. Mid to long term still worth buying. Looking for a MM unit w good location if e price is really good. But e interest rate is key worry.

Do you foresee interest to move up in the next 12 months? It is unlikely looking at US and Europe.

i think interest will move up. govt also support developers in singapore coz of GLS and they would be slapping themselves if they didnt. govt is allowing developers to offload their existing projects first before imposing any draconian measures. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Do you foresee interest to move up in the next 12 months? It is unlikely looking at US and Europe.

i think interest will move up. govt also support developers in singapore coz of GLS and they would be slapping themselves if they didnt. govt is allowing developers to offload their existing projects first before imposing any draconian measures. What do you guys think?
    only if the prices spike up again....

mass market prices looks flattish for the time being...

Interesting that there are who are still looking to buy. I've more or less decided to let go of one unit at RCR D15. It's at an unglam and inner side of D15 - i.e. older development , fairly "large" (>1200 sq ft) with no sea view and once tenancy ends (which is this month), I will let it go. Rental yield wasn't fantastic to begin with. Will put it on the market once hungry ghost month goes away. Just like your property, the price hasn't moved much this year - any upside from hereon will be immaterial. Might as well let go and take some cash off the table. But I don't think interest is such a big worry - it's unlikely to move up in a big way in the next year or so. And as long as you take lower leverage (<60%), a rise in interest rate really shouldn't be a "key worry". And always ensure there is adequate "buffer", i.e. make sure that even if interest goes up by 200-300 basis points, you still can serve your mortgage and still have lots of "leftovers" to enjoy life.

In Singapore the local banks and developers are linked to an important FamiLee... If the interest rate is low, it is indirectly supporting land price that the government is selling, and the properties that both the government (HDB) and developers are selling. Banks also earn more from bigger loans. But interest rates should be moving up else the inflation will be a concern.

But I think recent news reports & advertisements indicate that some developers are launching their properties earlier than expected. If you look at the pte property vacancy units, it is climbing...

So I will not look at rental income if I were to get a MM property (must be FH or 999) in the next 1-2 years. It is more for weekend getaway, future retirement home (easy to maintain) and for the capital gain (if I really need the cash). I'm quite happy with my property and NZD deposits at the moment (hedging in both ways).