Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Thomson Line Stations

If you look at the map of the NSE as visualized based on infor available, there is likelyhood that the TL could follow part of the path, the NSE is expected to be completed in 2020, 2 years after TL, which is logical time frame if its above TL.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=65131475

I think ERL, TL and DTL will all be under-utilised lines. SG govt take too long to build our MRT lines. By the time those MRT lines are ready, people are so used to driving around already. Once u have a car, very difficult to switch to public transport.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    Seriously, thomson n erl line is really extra one....may create more flash floods?

Y nid 3mrt lines running along n-s n e-central?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    I think ERL, TL and DTL will all be under-utilised lines. SG govt take too long to build our MRT lines. By the time those MRT lines are ready, people are so used to driving around already. Once u have a car, very difficult to switch to public transport.
    with COE climbing higher, I think people need to start getting used to not having a car.

Anyone have any idea where/how the Thomson line will connect to the Eastern Region line??

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danntbt
    If you look at the map of the NSE as visualized based on infor available, there is likelyhood that the TL could follow part of the path, the NSE is expected to be completed in 2020, 2 years after TL, which is logical time frame if its above TL.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=65131475
    from your link it seem to suggest it will be near calrose then to tagore area but that area seem too congested (calrose) or to empty(tagore area). i thought it will be near meadows so as to serve ppl tat are gg Lower Pierce for a walk.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    It's not that hard if the station is at kebun bahru, probably a 45 degree turn, newton orchard somerset is a 90° turn.
    ? how to turn? Are you are thinking that the MRT will turn into AMK ave 1 from upper thomson?

I don't see why the government will built a MRT line beside all the landed housing at upper thomson instead of AMK. If that is your alignment, only the very southern tip of AMK will be served by the thomson line. And then you still have to make a sharp turn into sin ming.

If they cut through AMK Avenue 4 and through the left side of lentor and thomon at targore, the line will be much easier to built and will serve a big part of AMK instead of thomson hill estate.

Take a look at the MAP. Even going through AMK avenue 5 is not ideal as the road does not lead southwards and you still have to make a sharp turn. Avenue 4 is the best and I think the most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Terese
    from your link it seem to suggest it will be near calrose then to tagore area but that area seem too congested (calrose) or to empty(tagore area). i thought it will be near meadows so as to serve ppl tat are gg Lower Pierce for a walk.
    that is what the "experts" at skyscraper city feels.

I think really think there is zero change that it will be near meadows.

Imagine the line is near meadows. So you have two ways to route your line to kebun bahru (which is confirmed to be served by thomson line). Either go down upper thomson road and then turn in at AMK Ave 1 or do a sharp turn into YCK road, and then another turn into AMK.

Both doesn't make sense.

1) This makes the route roundabout and for what? so that you can serve the Landed housing estate of thomson hills? And then you have to cut back in at AMK just to connect to keban bahru and then turn south again to connect to sin ming. The route suggested in Skyscraper is much straighter and allows you to place two MRT stations in the AMK HDB estate. Your route will only allow you to place one station right at the southern edge of AMK.

2) this is even worse. It is much easier just to go through the left side of lentor and connect at tagore.

Don't think they'll turn at upper thomson to amk ave 1 cos there's suppose to be a kebun bahru. I think from kebun bahru, they could head in the north west direction of tagore or springleaf.

The whole kebun bahru is pretty built up. Wonder where is that station going to be.

AMK Ave 3 and 4 junction thereabout.

Don't think they'll turn at upper thomson to amk ave 1 cos there's suppose to be a kebun bahru. I think from kebun bahru, they could head in the north west direction of tagore or springleaf.

The whole kebun bahru is pretty built up. Wonder where is that station going to be.

u mean this line is going to cut through underground in the heart of all these dense HDB blocks ?

..wow... it's going to be something.... just the thought of what happened in the other incident.....

.. I always thought it is along some main roads so dun need to dig up so much...

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    u mean this line is going to cut through underground in the heart of all these dense HDB blocks ?

..wow... it's going to be something.... just the thought of what happened in the other incident.....

.. I always thought it is along some main roads so dun need to dig up so much...
    no, the route suggested in skyscraper city is going by roads. From the north it enters beside lentor into Avenue 4 then turn into Ave3 I think.

That I think is the only way if you want to cut through kebun bahru without going under HDB flats.

AMK being an old estate, the HDB building is quite far away from the road.

I once mooted the idea that it might go closer to Upper Thomson Road as it is less densely studded with HDB flats at the extreme west side of Kebun Bahru. A station in the plot of land at the junction of AMK Ave 1 and 2 (nearer the Ave 2 side) might still be able to serve the South-West part of Kebun Bahru as well as the landed housing around St. Nicholas Girls School. A station around the Upper Thomson/Sin Ming Road junction can serve the Sin Ming area. Although these locations may not be at the areas of the densest population in these estates but I remember the Transport Minister said in one of the old speeches that the new MRT stations could be serving landed as well as public housing. The logistics might be easiser for them to build away from areas where they would have to tunnel under or around a lot of HDB blocks.

I once mooted the idea that it might go closer to Upper Thomson Road as it is less densely studded with HDB flats at the extreme west side of Kebun Bahru. A station in the plot of land at the junction of AMK Ave 1 and 2 (nearer the Ave 2 side) might still be able to serve the South-West part of Kebun Bahru as well as the landed housing around St. Nicholas Girls School. A station around the Upper Thomson/Sin Ming Road junction can serve the Sin Ming area. Although these locations may not be at the areas of the densest population in these estates but I remember the Transport Minister said in one of the old speeches that the new MRT stations could be serving landed as well as public housing. The logistics might be easiser for them to build away from areas where they would have to tunnel under or around a lot of HDB blocks. I

deleted *double post*

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    I once mooted the idea that it might go closer to Upper Thomson Road as it is less densely studded with HDB flats at the extreme west side of Kebun Bahru. A station in the plot of land at the junction of AMK Ave 1 and 2 (nearer the Ave 2 side) might still be able to serve the South-West part of Kebun Bahru as well as the landed housing around St. Nicholas Girls School. A station around the Upper Thomson/Sin Ming Road junction can serve the Sin Ming area. Although these locations may not be at the areas of the densest population in these estates but I remember the Transport Minister said in one of the old speeches that the new MRT stations could be serving landed as well as public housing. The logistics might be easiser for them to build away from areas where they would have to tunnel under or around a lot of HDB blocks.
    The problem with that is that if the line follows upper thomson road, the station have to be at/near the junction of Ave 1 and upper thomson road.

That is REALLY far away from kebun bahru. In fact it is not that much closer than amk station

If LTA goes that route, it is probably only because they have met an insurmountable road block through AMK. All the kebun bahru residents will be really irritated with LHL.

Lets put it this way, if they can TUNNEL the NS expressway through AMK, I am sure they can tunnel a pair of MRT tracks through.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    That is REALLY far away from kebun bahru.... All the kebun bahru residents will be really irritated with LHL.
    so ? what's the big deal abt kebun bahru ? LHL promised them a MRT will be built right at kebun bahru ?

so ? what's the big deal abt kebun bahru ? LHL promised them a MRT will be built right at kebun bahru ?
    The name was quoted as a likely stop under the thomson line. The other is Sin Ming. Because there's suppose to be a sin ming station, I don't think we'll see a stop near Ave 1. Thàey'll be too close.

that was the justification for the Thomson line.

It is supposed to serve Woodlands, AMK (kebun bahru to be specific) and sin ming.

Of course the LTA could change their mind and decide the landed property along upper thomson road has higher priority than the densely populated HDB estate of AMK.

But we all must base our SPECULATIONS on available information rather than "wishes".

Bottomline is that LTA has said upfront that thomson line is supposed to serve kebun bahru and even if nothing is mentioned, by geographics alone, they would route the line through AMK.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    that was the justification for the Thomson line.

It is supposed to serve Woodlands, AMK (kebun bahru to be specific) and sin ming.

Of course the LTA could change their mind and decide the landed property along upper thomson road has higher priority than the densely populated HDB estate of AMK.

But we all must base our SPECULATIONS on available information rather than "wishes".

Bottomline is that LTA has said upfront that thomson line is supposed to serve kebun bahru and even if nothing is mentioned, by geographics alone, they would route the line through AMK.
    Hmmm...make sense about Kebun Bahru but just find it "illogical" to serve such a short distance to place like as per Skyscrapercity "wishes" diagram on Calrose. It seem to me that more like a LRT instead of MRT. Thus thought it is more sensible to be along Upp Thomson Rd up to Springleaf there.

Hmmm...make sense about Kebun Bahru but just find it "illogical" to serve such a short distance to place like as per Skyscrapercity "wishes" diagram on Calrose. It seem to me that more like a LRT instead of MRT. Thus thought it is more sensible to be along Upp Thomson Rd up to Springleaf there.
    to serve the whole kebun bahru community, the station should be somewhere near kebun bahru CC but there isn't a great deal of space there to put an MRT station.

Will Thomson line have any stations near to Balestier?

Quote Originally Posted by propertychap
    Will Thomson line have any stations near to Balestier?
    who knows?

not likely as novena and toa payoh flanking balestier.. must ensure as much catchment as possible unless it is by line direction constrain. If there is going to be one... it will have to be a line running in between toa payoh and novena and head towards lavender... I doubt it will be like that. Maybe another line when more developments are up.

who knows...

yup, the exact station position is probably not very accurate as there are quite a few "possible" locations.

my personal guess is one station at lentor and one further south at ave 4 and ave3 junction. They should try to squeeze two station in AMK considering how built up it is.

but the route I think got not many choices.

Read it off another forum that some landed owners at lentor gardens apparently had visitors from LTA.

Read it off another forum that some landed owners at lentor gardens apparently had visitors from LTA.
    That's scary. ? Could mean compulsory acquisition or else MRT right on their doorstep.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    That's scary. ? Could mean compulsory acquisition or else MRT right on their doorstep.
    Think I need to be more precise about my previous post, it was one owner and he's place is near the lentor drive and yio chu lang junction. The rest of the forum members were naturally curious and asked him to check with his neighbours.

Maybe give u expressway and mrt together? Side by side or below.

Think I need to be more precise about my previous post, it was one owner and he's place is near the lentor drive and yio chu lang junction. The rest of the forum members were naturally curious and asked him to check with his neighbours.
    This location is for NSE. NSE was annouced to be built semi-tunnel along AMK ave 6.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernStar
    This location is for NSE. NSE was annouced to be built semi-tunnel along AMK ave 6.
    No lah, TSL is expected to run under AMK ave 4, while NSE is under ave 6. They are 500m apart.

which forum is that? kind of curious as my in laws stay in president gardens, which is what those landed units near the junction of lentor drive and yio chu kang junction are called. Not lentor gardens lah...

if you live there you will be surprised by how wide lentor drive is. I think it is three lanes road which is very unusual for road leading into landed estates. When my inlaws moved in like 20 years ago, they thought the government will built SLE or some other expressway there. but after many year, nothing is built there.