Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions on District 11 Properties ( 2 bedroom )

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Yes Sir, Mr Guardian of landed properties.

Quote Originally Posted by jlrx
    I know teddybear will appear to warn about the poorer cousins within D9 and 10 when I read the earlier posts!

teddybear is the guardian of the elite part of D9 and 10.

Some people believe in investing in the best and most expensive unit along the same street. Some people prefer to invest in the WORST and cheapest unit along the same street (greater room to improve). I think the threadstarter now has different "advice" He just have to make his own decision based on his "gut feel".

Did you not read about the 15 landed properties acquired by our government to build "high density developments" near the DTL3? Those are FH landed properties. In short, FH landed not very "safe" I was quite shocked - if the land is acquired for MRT construction, then it is in some ways justified. How can government take away the land for "high density development"? And make all the money while leaving the owners high and dry?

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Yes Sir, Mr Guardian of landed properties.

It is really unfortunate. Need to study the surrounding carefully before buying property. This site is rather "isolated" and right in front of a "narrow busy road". Watch out for these two signs in inverted commas.

That is the problem with places with no existing MRT stations. To build new MRT stations, the existing buildings (in this case the landed properties) have to make way else how to build? After building the MRT stations, the land around MRT stations is suitable for high-rise building right? The land acquisition I believe is for "national development"? Getting market compensation already should be laughing! Ask those whose land get acquired >=15 years ago and how much they get vs market rate?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    Did you not read about the 15 landed properties acquired by our government to build "high density developments" near the DTL3? Those are FH landed properties. In short, FH landed not very "safe" I was quite shocked - if the land is acquired for MRT construction, then it is in some ways justified. How can government take away the land for "high density development"? And make all the money while leaving the owners high and dry?

But these landed properties are about 1.1 km from the station.
    That is the problem with places with no existing MRT stations. To build new MRT stations, the existing buildings (in this case the landed properties) have to make way else how to build? After building the MRT stations, the land around MRT stations is suitable for high-rise building right? The land acquisition I believe is for "national development"? Getting market compensation already should be laughing! Ask those whose land get acquired >=15 years ago and how much they get vs market rate?

Ops, like that ah.
    Can these owners have the choice not to sell? Die die also don't sell?

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    But these landed properties are about 1.1 km from the station.

There is a clause on land acquisition in the local property law which works against land owners. In the past, I saw some land semi-Ds along braddell road which got their driveway sold off to make way for slip-road into expressway. Just hard luck. Just hope it is not like the $1 carpark.

PRECISELY! i drive past those 15 properties every week so i am REALLY shocked! unlike the little driveway or drain that the govt takes back, this time, they buy in whole! 1 of them is a bunglow somemore. there is already a piece of state land behind this row of houses for the "high density housing" so the reason why those are cleared out is so that when the 3 old hdb blocks are en-bloc, they really have a large piece of land for high density.

Must really go and read the land acqusition act oredi.

If the government is taking your landed property for public goods, e.g. build roads, MRT or drains - it is in some ways justified. At least you can tell yourself you're contributing to the welfare of the wider society. But to take away your land to "flip" to other developers for high density developments - i.e. purely profiteering - how can that be justified? I'm feeling really indignant for the 15 households - esp the old auntie who looked so helpless on TV. The government can increase the plot ratio, and let the landed owners benefit from it by enbloc to private developers. The "market price" today would NOT have factored in the increase in plot ratio or the MRT station. In short, the government laughs all the way to the bank from this simple flip.

For those who own landed property near future or upcoming unannounced MRT stations (ERL or Thomson), better be mentally prepared. Anytime can anyhow acquire your land for "high density development" one. Don't even need to justify using the "public good" reason.

If the government is taking your landed property for public goods, e.g. build roads, MRT or drains - it is in some ways justified. At least you can tell yourself you're contributing to the welfare of the wider society. But to take away your land to "flip" to other developers for high density developments - i.e. purely profiteering - how can that be justified? I'm feeling really indignant for the 15 households - esp the old auntie who looked so helpless on TV. The government can increase the plot ratio, and let the landed owners benefit from it by enbloc to private developers. The "market price" today would NOT have factored in the increase in plot ratio or the MRT station. In short, the government laughs all the way to the bank from this simple flip.

For those who own landed property near future or upcoming unannounced MRT stations (ERL or Thomson), better be mentally prepared. Anytime can anyhow acquire your land for "high density development" one. Don't even need to justify using the "public good" reason.
    thats why when buying landed ... make sure you are buying .. "designated landed ' ... and not ' non-designated landed "

non designated landed houses sit on land that can be used for both landed and condo ..

example .. the entire terok kurau is NON designated landed .. hence so many 4-5 storey condos spring up everywhere ...

another example is Sixth Ave, hence the old Dynasty, the current Sixth ave residences .. in fact even Coronation , Watten, ..

also , almost the entire pasir panjang ..except Springwood .. hence you can find Flynn park, Island view, Treasure place, Bayvile, Sarhad vile , and all the condos along pasir panjang and pasir panjang hill ..

Quote Originally Posted by isaaclim
    I have to response because you may have misunderstood my statement. Please do take note I don't claim i am expert. Seriously i am not.

The following are just two messages I want to bring across:
    - Prime district is a classification. It is just for easy referencing and comparing. But district 12 is definitely NOT prime. Prime = No.1. Which part of district 12 can be ranked No.1 for housing related factor?
    - Look at the rate of appreciation in Mass market. Do you see that kind of appreciation in Prime district? Not yet right? So, it is yet to come. Why not yet? The targeted group of investor are still busy fire flighting at their own garden. This is a market segment that cannot be moved by us.

This is a open forum. It is up to individual to comment and to believe.
    Totally agreed with your two messages. In fact, that was what i wanted to tell.
    Just realized how differently people read, analyze and perceive from same figures and index!

those in Novena are seeing strong interests because of:
    4) Close to Singapore's best primary schools (SJI Junior, ACS Junior, ACS Baker, SCGS).
    erhhm, teddy this time I need to disagree with u on this one

Bukit Timah / Watten / Duchess / Coronation area are really close to Singapore's "best" primary schools (Nanyang, Raffles Girls, Pei Hua, Henry Park)

SCGS .. hmmm... tai tai quality leh....

(ok they are all in district 10..)

Quote Originally Posted by amk

Bukit Timah / Watten / Duchess / Coronation area are really close to Singapore's "best" primary schools (Nanyang, Raffles Girls, Pei Hua, Henry Park)

but bkt timah, coronation duchess area NO real MRT ..even if has its Circle line ..right ?

and flood prone

I was only referring to his point abt "best primary school" lah !

in any case, Bt Timah now got Downtown Line already. Come 2015 every one will claim "near to MRT". In fact it's a "better" MRT some more, not like circle line round-abt going no where.

If the government is taking your landed property for public goods.....
    ok for argument sake, say come 2013 master plan, government so decides to raise my FH pty's plot ratio from 1.4 to 2.8, am I supposed to repay the government for "increasing" my pty's value ?

... it's not so simple when it comes to land "value".... I'm not convinced the gov is doing this for money. I really think gov decides it's a better use of land.

as to "designated" landed, pointless lah. even law can be changed one u know ?

dtl2 will be under utilised? looks like it is build for bukit panjang/cashew residents

ok for argument sake, say come 2013 master plan, government so decides to raise my FH pty's plot ratio from 1.4 to 2.8, am I supposed to repay the government for "increasing" my pty's value ?

... it's not so simple when it comes to land "value".... I'm not convinced the gov is doing this for money. I really think gov decides it's a better use of land.

if i am not wrong the land acquisition law said govt has the right to buy back part of land ( never said WHOLE) for use like road widening ..etc ..

never to buy whole land and sell to developer to build 99 LH condo leh ..

like someone mentioned earlier .. if can ..then the owners themselves can sell to developers waht >? why must go thru govt to let them make the money ?

if thats the case then PROPERTISM doesnt work anymore

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    .. if can ..then the owners themselves can sell to developers waht >? why must go thru govt to let them make the money ?
    because gov can force buy, pte developers cannot.

you all want to discuss prime districts, at least know what you are discussing.

D11 is not just newton novena. 3/4 of the dunearn rd stretch is also D11, in fact that area is many times larger than the newton novena pocket.

nyps, hwa chong and henry park are D10

acs barker, scgs, rgps and nygh are D11

mgs and peihwa are D21

as any born and bred bukit timah resident would know.

bukit timah rd is D10, dunearn rd is D11.

But those 4 you said are not within 2km boundaries lei. Cannot satisfy MOE criteria of 2km distance compared to the 4 I mentioned.

So in short, government can take your land based on whatever reason they deem fit So it's just "heng" "sway" oredi...

Won't be underutlisied. A lot of students and non-driving expats. Look at the Maplewood free shuttle bus that always hog the right lane. Next time those Maplewood residents who take the shuttle to Newton can take MRT already The bus stops along Dunearn Rd are usually quite crowded - in short, there is demand. You need to be 18 before daddy buys you a car u know!

In fact, the bus stops at Cashew is usually empty!

But I think both the CCL and DTL3 will be under-used. Because both are not radial lines - which means got to travel in an inefficient and roundabout manner to get to town which means most will give up. ERL should be another radial line that will be well used - look at those Bus 16 that goes Marine Parade - always crowded like siao.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    dtl2 will be under utilised? looks like it is build for bukit panjang/cashew residents

It all depends on the base year you're looking at

CCR index = 195 (Q4'98 = 100)
    Mass index = 171

It means prime has increased 95% (CAGR 7.9%) relative to 1998 while mass/mid has only increase 71% relative to 1998 (CAGR 5.9%). So CCR has actually appreciated more if we use 1998 as the base year.

And please note this is an index relative to the original base price. I have never said prime and mid will become the SAME PRICE. I'm not sure how people read that way. I'm just saying considering CCR has increased at a faster rate - CAGR of 7.9% from 1998, it is about time the rate of increase come down - while the rest start to catch up. This theory has been proven to be correct in the past 2 years. And I always like to use the developed country vs the developing country analogy. I'm not saying a developing country will become developed overnight. I'm just saying the opportunity to grow and rate of growth should be higher. That's why countries in Europe stuggle to grow at 3% per annum while China or Vietnam or Philippines has no problem growing at more than 7%. So if you have money to invest, where do you place your bets?

No right or wrong answer. Just different investment strategies.

Quote Originally Posted by isaaclim
    I have to response because you may have misunderstood my statement. Please do take note I don't claim i am expert. Seriously i am not.

The following are just two messages I want to bring across:
    - Prime district is a classification. It is just for easy referencing and comparing. But district 12 is definitely NOT prime. Prime = No.1. Which part of district 12 can be ranked No.1 for housing related factor?
    - Look at the rate of appreciation in Mass market. Do you see that kind of appreciation in Prime district? Not yet right? So, it is yet to come. Why not yet? The targeted group of investor are still busy fire flighting at their own garden. This is a market segment that cannot be moved by us.

This is a open forum. It is up to individual to comment and to believe.

Won't be underutlisied. A lot of students and non-driving expats. Look at the Maplewood free shuttle bus that always hog the right lane. Next time those Maplewood residents who take the shuttle to Newton can take MRT already The bus stops along Dunearn Rd are usually quite crowded - in short, there is demand. You need to be 18 before daddy buys you a car u know!

In fact, the bus stops at Cashew is usually empty!

But I think both the CCL and DTL3 will be under-used. Because both are not radial lines - which means got to travel in an inefficient and roundabout manner to get to town which means most will give up. ERL should be another radial line that will be well used - look at those Bus 16 that goes Marine Parade - always crowded like siao.
    dtl2 serves many industrial areas...whr got under utilised???? many stns located at HDB too....HDB dwellers rely heavily on public tpt...unlike dtl2

CCR index = 195 (Q4'98 = 100)
    Mass index = 171

It means prime has increased 95% (CAGR 7.9%) relative to 1998 while mass/mid has only increase 71% relative to 1998 (CAGR 5.9%). So CCR has actually appreciated more if we use 1998 as the base year.

And please note this is an index relative to the original base price. I have never said prime and mid will become the SAME PRICE. I'm not sure how people read that way. I'm just saying considering CCR has increased at a faster rate - CAGR of 7.9% from 1998, it is about time the rate of increase come down - while the rest start to catch up. This theory has been proven to be correct in the past 2 years. And I always like to use the developed country vs the developing country analogy. I'm not saying a developing country will become developed overnight. I'm just saying the opportunity to grow and rate of growth should be higher. That's why countries in Europe stuggle to grow at 3% per annum while China or Vietnam or Philippines has no problem growing at more than 7%. So if you have money to invest, where do you place your bets?

No right or wrong answer. Just different investment strategies.
    so u bot prime ppty during 2005 and sell in 2007 and bot mass market last yr lows?

But those 4 you said are not within 2km boundaries lei. Cannot satisfy MOE criteria of 2km distance compared to the 4 I mentioned.
    huh teddy I knew u will say this.
    yes they are all within 2k for these good schools. I'm just saying these schools are not "the best primary schools". But yes they are good enough to be a very important plus point for novena/newton pties.

orange, wah u take it so seriously. yes yes thank you. poor lowly amk not born and bred true blue blood Bt Timah'ers ok, happy ?

that's true.

so who will outperform the now ? there seems to have more empty/upcoming CCRs than OCRs.

Actually it is difficult to say which is the best in terms of ranking because different top schools have different emphasis. E.g. SJI Junior produces good sportsmen. SCGS you said produce good tai tai? (but don't think tai tai in bad light, I found them to be very sensible, understanding, presentable, and elegent! Much better choice as wife than girls from many other schools!). Also, their results are really top in terms of %age getting A* and A. This vs other top schools whose emphasis is just producing 1 or 2 top scorers (but their %age getting A* and A are actually lower)!

huh teddy I knew u will say this.
    yes they are all within 2k for these good schools. I'm just saying these schools are not "the best primary schools". But yes they are good enough to be a very important plus point for novena/newton pties.

orange, wah u take it so seriously. yes yes thank you. poor lowly amk not born and bred true blue blood Bt Timah'ers ok, happy ?

y enrol ur kids into top schools? top schools produce nerds...