Thread: Exodus of property agents expected

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Exodus of property agents expected

http://www.straitstimes.com/Money/St...ry_559084.html

Jul 29, 2010

Exodus of property agents expected

New rules on education level likely to shrink pool, but lifeline exists

By Joyce Teo

THOUSANDS more property agents are set to bail out of the industry over the next 17 months due to tough new rules being introduced by the Government.

The regulations will impose a basic educational standard - a minimum four GCE O-level passes - on estate agents.

There are now no such requirements and no mandatory examination, so anyone can easily become a property agent.

While the new rules allow agents who do not meet the educational requirements to sit an industry exam to earn qualification, the immediate effect will be an exodus from the industry, say experts.

ERA Asia-Pacific associate director Eugene Lim estimates that the number of agents who do not have four O-level passes may comprise up to 30 per cent of the 30,000-strong pool of agents.

Experts forecast a drop of up to 25 per cent to 30 per cent in the number of agents by the end of next year.

About 15 per cent to 20 per cent will drop out by the end of this year, and possibly another 10 per cent by the end of 2011, although new ones may join, said Mr Lim.

But there is a lifeline for existing agents once the rules kick in later this year.

The Ministry of National Development (MND) recently told real estate agencies that agents who have done at least three property deals over the past two years will not need to have the minimum O-level passes.

But they will need to pass the new mandatory exam for agents within a year from January 2011.

This means that older, experienced full-time agents who do not have the four O-levels or the equivalent will have more time to pass the industry exam.

New agents who may have joined the industry earlier this year will also benefit as they will be able to complete three deals fairly quickly, said Dennis Wee Group director Chris Koh.

Under the new rules, agents need to have a minimum educational requirement and take an industry exam.

They will also have to register through their firms at a new statutory board called the Council for Estate Agencies.

But the expected clear-out should not affect the industry too much, given the big number of agents, including inactive ones.

'Nobody knows exactly how many agents are out there. Many agencies have not done any housekeeping at all. I won't be surprised if some names are repeated at different agencies,' said Mr Koh.

He recently let go of 1,500 inactive agents, leaving 3,500. That was after he tried to recall all agents to update their particulars to meet MND requests.

Mr Koh said the 1,500 agents had not done any deals in a year and had failed to update their particulars. Some quit as they are in the civil service and do not want their names in the public registry, as is required under the new rules.

'Every month, I bring in new agents and let go of some inactive agents. But previously, there was no urgency to terminate so many,' Mr Koh said.

At HSR Property Group, executive director (agency) Jeffrey Hong said the firm will do a 'screening exercise' in the next two weeks. It now has 7,000 agents and has not had a regular practice of terminating inactive ones.

There has been little change at the other two big agencies - ERA and PropNex - as they have been doing their housekeeping.

ERA's Mr Lim said: 'We do not need to chop just because of the new rules. On average, we let go of about 100 inactive agents every month. Our sales force is about 3,000-strong and it is active.'

PropNex chief executive Mohamed Ismail added: 'I let go of 2,800 agents two years ago and another 1,200 this January.

'All my agents are covered by professional indemnity insurance and are active. My next audit will be in October.'

[email protected]

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/...ry_560035.html

Jul 31, 2010

Exodus? Expect more and better qualified property agents

IN THURSDAY'S report ('Exodus of property agents expected'), experts envisage that thousands more property agents are set to bail out of the industry over the next 17 months due to tough new rules being introduced by the Government.

They have estimated a drop of up to 30 per cent in the number of agents by the end of next year.

While an exodus of estate agents is expected, this is likely to be a phenomenon restricted to part-timers and those who are moonlighting as agents.

Career estate agents, that is, those who make a living in real estate agency practice, will remain in the agencies' headcount.

The fact that more than 23,000 have registered and/or taken the Common Examination for Salesperson demonstrates the resolve of those active in the real estate agency profession to comply with the fundamental requirements of the new regulatory framework.

Career estate agents are generally conscientious about their competence and ethical conduct as their livelihoods depend on them. They are equally aghast over the small number of rogue estate agents who are giving the industry a bad name, and they would do their bit to stamp out unwholesome practices.

With the Government stepping in to regulate the real estate agency profession, this will inspire greater consumer confidence in the appointment of estate agents, who are responsible for brokering eight out of every 10 transactions.

The higher entry criteria imposed on prospective estate agents will encourage better calibre talent to join the industry in due course and eventually result in more respectability for the profession than is usually the case now.

In this regard, Singapore Accredited Estate Agencies is working with industry leaders, related institutions and training partners, like the Singapore Institute of Surveyors and Valuers, to upgrade its accredited agents and salesmen and help them stay relevant.

Instead of a decrease in the number of estate agents, I foresee the emergence of a highly professional real estate agency force and an increase in successful mid-career as well as better qualified people joining the industry in the days ahead.

Dr Tan Tee Khoon
    Chief Executive Officer
    Singapore Accredited Estate Agencies Ltd

the current CES, CEA and CEHA are really low standard exams for entry into the profession. To really up the level of the real estate profession, i think 'A' level, diploma or Degree as entry level would make more sense. Many agents I talk to can't even speak intelligible English and I suspect if they even passed their primary school. If you look at the way some project agents push properties, you should know that most of them talk about the property market with butt logic and pluck statistics from thin air.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    the current CES, CEA and CEHA are really low standard exams for entry into the profession. To really up the level of the real estate profession, i think 'A' level, diploma or Degree as entry level would make more sense. Many agents I talk to can't even speak intelligible English and I suspect if they even passed their primary school. If you look at the way some project agents push properties, you should know that most of them talk about the property market with butt logic and pluck statistics from thin air.
    agree...i encountered many showflat aunties/uncles say nothing much about the project/location but just merely telling me 'this is kitchen'...'this is master bedrm' and later on 'quickly grab, wait ur unit gone..chq chq'

sorry to mention bankers again...i also dislike bankers especially those so called relationship mgr....mostly merely fresh grad and keep changing like change clothings....how to maintain relationship like dat...

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    agree...i encountered many showflat aunties/uncles say nothing much about the project/location but just merely telling me 'this is kitchen'...'this is master bedrm' and later on 'quickly grab, wait ur unit gone..chq chq'

sorry to mention bankers again...i also dislike bankers especially those so called relationship mgr....mostly merely fresh grad and keep changing like change clothings....how to maintain relationship like dat...
    thats why they are called Agents .. and not a professional title " Realtor'

I true professional realty will / can advise a buyer, that XXX is over priced, YYY is not as superior, ZZZ has value ..

our agents merely tell you ' Grab before price go up " , " location good, can fetch rental $AAA a mth" etc etc ..

a true realtor can indeed tell buyer to Walk away, if the seller or selling price is not in line with market, location, potential

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    thats why they are called Agents .. and not a professional title " Realtor'

I true professional realty will / can advise a buyer, that XXX is over priced, YYY is not as superior, ZZZ has value ..

our agents merely tell you ' Grab before price go up " , " location good, can fetch rental $AAA a mth" etc etc ..

a true realtor can indeed tell buyer to Walk away, if the seller or selling price is not in line with market, location, potential
    a professional realtor or ppty consultant will have to charge a fee for their reccomendation/advise....

agt's livelihood depends solely on comm...will not render genuine advice even if they noe its overpriced etc....tats the problem....so long can close the deal...y they care

those financial advisors also sama...they will advice u to buy those insurance tat they earn the most comm....

our government just has to come up with a centralised office for all sellers of any property to post their ads and all buyers of properties to go to that one place to look for properties (with full time admin officers being paid a fixed salary to facilitate paperwork), the entire property agency business will come to a standstill. For all legal advice on the property, the conveyancing lawyers can handle it, so property agents will be made redundant instantly.

again would the govt do that? it is not in their best interest to do so as all these property agencies are collecting GST for the government and also paying hefty taxes to the govt.

a professional realtor or ppty consultant will have to charge a fee for their reccomendation/advise....

agt's livelihood depends solely on comm...will not render genuine advice even if they noe its overpriced etc....tats the problem....so long can close the deal...y they care

those financial advisors also sama...they will advice u to buy those insurance tat they earn the most comm....

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    our government just has to come up with a centralised office for all sellers of any property to post their ads and all buyers of properties to go to that one place to look for properties (with full time admin officers being paid a fixed salary to facilitate paperwork), the entire property agency business will come to a standstill. For all legal advice on the property, the conveyancing lawyers can handle it, so property agents will be made redundant instantly.

again would the govt do that? it is not in their best interest to do so as all these property agencies are collecting GST for the government and also paying hefty taxes to the govt.
    other countries like aussie, sellers/buyers will engage just one realtor to sell/buy ppty...unlike SG....most sellers engage multiple agts....

it may work well...but some buyers especially those super richies or foreigners may still prefer to have an agent to show them houses....to be pampered mah...

not like me...everything i DIY...

You mean you buy and sell without an agent? Thats good!! You can save money.

Most agent I met still have a long way to go in terms of the understanding of the property they are marketing and knowledge of the surrounding properties, government master plan, future developments which the investor or potential home owner will take into consideration before a decision is made.

With lack of sufficient information which ought to be aware of, it may not be easy to make a choice.

Worst, miss information in order to seal a quick deal.

When I visit show flat in Singapore, there are so many agents around. The Sutera Utama show flat in JB, Malaysia, in comparison, do not have any agent around at all. I was served by a security guard who is able to speak english. We have to make an appointment with the agent if we are interested with the project after viewing. BTW, this project is a JV between Keppel Land & Malaysia company and most of the buyers are either working in SG or Singaprean.

other countries like aussie, sellers/buyers will engage just one realtor to sell/buy ppty...unlike SG....most sellers engage multiple agts....

it may work well...but some buyers especially those super richies or foreigners may still prefer to have an agent to show them houses....to be pampered mah...

not like me...everything i DIY...