Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The appeal of designer condos

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default The appeal of designer condos

http://www.straitstimes.com/Invest/S...ry_554853.html

Jul 18, 2010

The appeal of designer condos

More developers are engaging world-class architects as buyers get more sophisticated

By Joyce Teo

It is hard to miss the striking high-rise residential projects in central Singapore, some designed by internationally renowned architects.

In recent years, these internationally acclaimed names include German Ole Scheeren - who was behind The Interlace in the Alexandra Road area - and American Daniel Libeskind, who designed Reflections at Keppel Bay.

Equally famed Zaha Hadid is behind a huge condominium project on the former Farrer Court site, which has yet to be launched for sale.

Developers say it is crucial to differentiate their products in a challenging market where buyers are becoming more discerning.

Far East Organization, Singapore's largest private developer, launched an ultra luxury brand called 'Inessence' last month.

Apart from allowing it to tap further into the rapidly growing wealth in the Asia-Pacific region, the developer said its move is a testament to Singapore's strong foundations and transformation into a vibrant global city.

Mr Augustine Tan, chief executive officer, Singapore residential, Keppel Land, said: 'With increasing globalisation, home buyers have also becoming increasingly sophisticated, so much so that owning a home is beyond the brick and mortar but involves the considerations of prestige, lifestyle and other value propositions associated with the development, such as designer architects.'

Property experts say that condos designed by world-renowned architects have a particular appeal to brand-conscious buyers.

Furthermore, these architects are believed to be able to design condos with superior layout and lifestyle concepts - for both the individual apartments and the overall development, said Colliers International's director for research and advisory Tay Huey Ying.

Many of these designer condos are then able to command a pre- mium.

'It's one of the marketing tools for developers to help them achieve their price target,' said ERA Asia-Pacific associate director Eugene Lim.

'If I put a brand-name architect to a high-end project, I can push the price slightly higher. The pre- mium is possible because of the product differentiation.

'People have to associate what they are paying for with what they are getting. It's about selling an image, a lifestyle and status.'

The price premium, said Ms Tay, is, however, not guaranteed.

'More often, they are differentiators that can help to move sales, particularly in a competitive market.'

Ngee Ann Polytechnic real estate lecturer Nicholas Mak said buyers will be willing to pay a premium only if the property comes with other attributes - such as a desirable location and a sensible layout.

And developers do change the designs to fit the market if needed. Far East Organization, for instance, did away with an eye-catching design by Mr Scheeren for Scotts Tower as the market had changed significantly.

It had wanted to launch the project - which had only 67 large units - back in late 2007 but the high-end market had started to show signs of slowing.

It has since replaced the original design, featuring four suspended towers, with a creation by Mr Ben van Berkel of UNStudio.

Singapore can expect to see more designer condos, but they would not be flooding the market any time soon. They will remain in a class of their own.

'Not all developers can afford to pay for the services of a world-renowned architect. Moreover, such architects may also be selective in the projects that they want to be a part of,' said Ms Tay.

'As such, it is unlikely that designer condos will be the norm one day, although such condos could grow in numbers, particularly in the higher-end segments.'

[email protected]

designer condos with designer layouts as well....

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...lincoln-suites

sorry guys, forgot to add in one more winning layout..

http://www.propertyvizion.com/data/202/aristo-13.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    sorry guys, forgot to add in one more winning layout..

http://www.propertyvizion.com/data/202/aristo-13.gif
    this one very norm...ground flr sure big patio

shd post the one with planter box bigger den balcony

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...ale-the-aristo

OMG.....Patio bigger then built in.

thanks. i was illustrating this, surrounded by planter/bay windows unit, now the floor plan is there for all to see. please note that the gigantic planter behind the bedroom wall is not even accessible by foot (in the showflat it is lah but on questioning agent told me its only a window + wall there)! oh well, someone just smashed the D11 psf record with a $2647psf 463sq ft, $1.216m purchase for this design so i needn't say more.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    designer condos with designer layouts as well....

Accessible by gondola ???

example of a clear rip-off by developer maybe to offset designer costs

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    thanks. i was illustrating this, surrounded by planter/bay windows unit, now the floor plan is there for all to see. please note that the gigantic planter behind the bedroom wall is not even accessible by foot (in the showflat it is lah but on questioning agent told me its only a window + wall there)! oh well, someone just smashed the D11 psf record with a $2647psf 463sq ft, $1.216m purchase for this design so i needn't say more.

guess u guys haven't experienced the "joy" of living in a shoebox, where there is baywindow, then planter after the baywindow, and another 2nd planter beyond the 1st planter... and the bathroom is surrounded by huge baywindows and planters....

http://www.virtualhomes.sg/ProjectWe...ns.aspx?id=131

it was an unforgettable home.... after having the privilege and joy of living in one for a couple of years, we start scrubbing through each and every floor plan to make sure we don't make the same mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by new2mondrian
    guess u guys haven't experienced the "joy" of living in a shoebox, where there is baywindow, then planter after the baywindow, and another 2nd planter beyond the 1st planter... and the bathroom is surrounded by huge baywindows and planters....

it was an unforgettable home.... after having the privilege and joy of living in one for a couple of years, we start scrubbing through each and every floor plan to make sure we don't make the same mistake.
    Wow... developer win liao.... Truly designed to sxxx $

maybe can learn from jackie chan dive through the window and yet dun fall from #2x lor. lincoln suites is the creation of a bunch of construction companies who made the en-bloc at the peak of the market so it was impossible for them to break even had they not surrounded the units with planters and bay windows.

check out their 4 bedder floor plan with bay window in the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by 2824
    Accessible by gondola ???

example of a clear rip-off by developer maybe to offset designer costs

dun say shoebox, supposed "reputable" developer for Ascentia Sky also did the same. Planter outside bay windows which are not accessible and truly for you to put potted plants only.

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...e-ascentia-sky

OMG Aircon ledge big enough to be a study area. I think they should have a developers award for designing units with the most number of planter boxes to so-called encourage green living

how about this one, can fill it up with water & swim a few laps?
    Private pool with direct Washer/Dryer access

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...or-sale-espada

Default Matteo

Nice!!!!!!!!
    Matteo

maybe can learn from jackie chan dive through the window and yet dun fall from #2x lor. lincoln suites is the creation of a bunch of construction companies who made the en-bloc at the peak of the market so it was impossible for them to break even had they not surrounded the units with planters and bay windows.

check out their 4 bedder floor plan with bay window in the kitchen.

actually i dun mind having baywindows inside kitchen...i can tink of putting kitchen stuff or even microwave over there. but i HATE PLANTER BOX!!! i can only accept small planter box at balcony....if located at other places i always complain in front of the agts and make them feel paisey

mabe tats y WB selling so well even though the price r deem high for some...i was vy happy to see WB flrplans after seeing so many baywindows and planters everywhr in other projects

Although WB price deem high only because there is no planter or baywindow. ie what you pay is what you get.
    End of the day, developer's margin is the same, it is just whether they clawed it back with bay window or planter -if allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    mabe tats y WB selling so well even though the price r deem high for some...i was vy happy to see WB flrplans after seeing so many baywindows and planters everywhr in other projects

Quote Originally Posted by maisonjai
    how about this one, can fill it up with water & swim a few laps?
    Private pool with direct Washer/Dryer access

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...or-sale-espada

How about this one, 3 times cheaper in term of psf, with good size private pool.. yet located in the city

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...istine-heights

Quote Originally Posted by Rysk
    How about this one, 3 times cheaper in term of psf, with good size private pool.. yet located in the city

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...istine-heights
    77 Mergui Road #05-03
    Freehold
    $766
    $1600k
    24 Feb 10

just bot at 1.6mil...now wana flip oredi...strange

Maybe the upcoming new launch City Scape @ Farrer Pk just beside Pristine Hts is going for 13XX-15XXpsf?
    Think going to launch very soon.

77 Mergui Road #05-03
    Freehold
    $766
    $1600k
    24 Feb 10

just bot at 1.6mil...now wana flip oredi...strange
    77 Mergui Road
    Freehold
    $796
    $1670k
    May 10 (caveat)

Just different by 3-mths, transacted price up.
    But can see that the #05-03 was nicely done up that comes with a pte pool, while this one is just the bare unit & no pte pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rysk
    77 Mergui Road
    Freehold
    $796
    $1670k
    May 10 (caveat)

Just different by 3-mths, transacted price up.
    But can see that the #05-03 was nicely done up that comes with a pte pool, while this one is just the bare unit & no pte pool.
    i am sure anybody who bot such a ppty with pool will be for self stay.....so y wud they wana sell when they just moved in ard May? barely 2mths

Aug 2007 $1,846,350 2,088 $884psf
    http://www.listings.sg/listings/40834.html

This unit transacted once during developer launched in 2007 I think.

maybe the buyer is a flipper and hasn't moved in yet.

i am sure anybody who bot such a ppty with pool will be for self stay.....so y wud they wana sell when they just moved in ard May? barely 2mths

maybe the buyer is a flipper and hasn't moved in yet.
    possible

cannot find renters ..after too mth .. sell lah

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    possible

cannot find renters ..after too mth .. sell lah
    It is impossible for new developments not to be able to find renters, as long as there are still people renting older apartments.

Perhaps "cannot find renters at the expected price", but definitely not "cannot find renters" for new developments.

Even my developments which are so old can still find renters. If they drop to my asking price, they'll pull away my tenants immediately.

Then it'll be my turn to "cannot find renters".

Hence as long as I still have tenants, the statement "cannot find renters" is impossible.

there are always personal preferences. i believe the older apartments u own have large areas. (As proud owner has also been advocating, buy old big units.) i went to the showflat at the launch of the above mentioned project. the design is terrible and the rooms are so small. add in the maintenance required for that pool, the number of prospective tenants may really have shrunk a lot purely based on personal preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by jlrx
    It is impossible for new developments not to be able to find renters, as long as there are still people renting older apartments.

Perhaps "cannot find renters at the expected price", but definitely not "cannot find renters" for new developments.

Even my developments which are so old can still find renters. If they drop to my asking price, they'll pull away my tenants immediately.

Hence as long as I still have tenants, the statement "cannot find renters" is impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by jlrx

thank you for correcting my errors ..

it should read : " cannot find renters who enjoys the size of the unit, and who pays enuff to cover the mortgage"

size of the pool u mean? haha. i would feel very scared swimming in that pool coz anyone can rain juz about anything from upstairs on me. seriously, i still remember 2007 when the agent tried to push this unit to me even though i already hated the design of the bedrooms in the project. before anything, i juz thought about the possible cigar butts and the thought that i need to service the mainenance of this pool on top of the monthly fees.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    thank you for correcting my errors ..

it should read : " cannot find renters who enjoys the size of the unit, and who pays enuff to cover the mortgage"

there are always personal preferences. i believe the older apartments u own have large areas. (As proud owner has also been advocating, buy old big units.) i went to the showflat at the launch of the above mentioned project. the design is terrible and the rooms are so small. add in the maintenance required for that pool, the number of prospective tenants may really have shrunk a lot purely based on personal preferences.
    if really buying for rental...must be a big silly carrot....how to expect gd rental yield for such big pool attached to it...only make sense if bot for own stay