Thread: Letting Out Entire HDB Flat

Default Letting Out Entire HDB Flat

Hi forummers,

Can I rent out my entire HDB flat and stay in a condo?

I have lived in my HDB flat for more than 10 years. I thought of buying a condo and rent out my entire HDB flat, take the rent and use it to pay the mortgage on the condo I intend to buy.

Would I need permission from HDB to rent out the whole flat? Will HDB approve the reason (to move to a condo)?

Thanks!

Yup. You need to write to HDB for permission. Which will be granted if you had occupied the property for five years (if bought directly) or three years (if bought in resale market without govt grant).

i asked an agent before and was told is possible. but horse minister say cannot leh.

Quote Originally Posted by jbond
    Hi forummers,

Can I rent out my entire HDB flat and stay in a condo?

I have lived in my HDB flat for more than 10 years. I thought of buying a condo and rent out my entire HDB flat, take the rent and use it to pay the mortgage on the condo I intend to buy.

Would I need permission from HDB to rent out the whole flat? Will HDB approve the reason (to move to a condo)?

Thanks!
    no problem.. approval is very fast and almost confirm if you met the criteria.. i just did that and use the rent to supplement my pte ppty housing loan

Quote Originally Posted by joseph85
    no problem.. approval is very fast and almost confirm if you met the criteria.. i just did that and use the rent to supplement my pte ppty housing loan
    how about this case :

i working oversea.. i buy a resale HDB now ..

since i am physically not in spore .. can i rent out whole unit ?

i know i should be able to buy in open mkt ..even though i am not in spore .. but i am stil sporean ..

any idea guys ?

i doubt it coz minimum occupation still applies. the situation would be different if you had bought a flat while in singapore and later you got posted overseas due to circumstances you cannot control. What you can do is buy an hdb flat and get your relative to be an occupier who helps u manage the tenants u r renting to for ur other few rooms. The thing is ur relative need not be actually staying there but go back once in a while to check on the place but u must make sure one of the rooms is locked.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    how about this case :

i working oversea.. i buy a resale HDB now ..

since i am physically not in spore .. can i rent out whole unit ?

i know i should be able to buy in open mkt ..even though i am not in spore .. but i am stil sporean ..

any idea guys ?

IIRC, had an ex-colleague & his wife who decides to study overseas, after getting their new flat from HDB, and was granted permit to rent out the entire flat for the duration of their overseas period. Even during the 5 years MOP, so think it still depends on circumstances, if MOP is not met.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    i doubt it coz minimum occupation still applies. the situation would be different if you had bought a flat while in singapore and later you got posted overseas due to circumstances you cannot control. What you can do is buy an hdb flat and get your relative to be an occupier who helps u manage the tenants u r renting to for ur other few rooms. The thing is ur relative need not be actually staying there but go back once in a while to check on the place but u must make sure one of the rooms is locked.
    BE CENTRED BY ALL AT THE FRINGE OF THE CITY @

HDB very reasonable one leh.... if you got valid reasons .. ie like overseas etc , you can rent out yr entire HDB. But that period will not count towards the owner's occupany period which is fair lah..
    Tis is also gd for PRs that buy and then rent out... change tat $ sgd into their own countries currencies and they can relax for a while lor...

Quote Originally Posted by lancelot
    Yup. You need to write to HDB for permission. Which will be granted if you had occupied the property for five years (if bought directly) or three years (if bought in resale market without govt grant).
    Really ? I read on the HDB website on subletting the entire flat .. but some of the "valid" reasons sound kindda weird. And I understand that if you own both a HDB flat (regardless of the occupancy period) and a pte condo, you should stay in the former ... unless what I understand is already outdated ?

Believe you can only fully sublet the entire flat during MOP, if its due to overseas postings etc, but still subject to HDB approval. And as smallant pointed out, such periods are not counted into the MOP.

If not, then you will need to stay in your HDB during the MOP irregardless of your other properties. Note that during MOP, you are also not allowed to buy or own pte properties. Now I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbertha
    Really ? I read on the HDB website on subletting the entire flat .. but some of the "valid" reasons sound kindda weird. And I understand that if you own both a HDB flat (regardless of the occupancy period) and a pte condo, you should stay in the former ... unless what I understand is already outdated ?
    BE CENTRED BY ALL AT THE FRINGE OF THE CITY @

REALLY HUGE 'UPSIDE' potential FOR DOUBLE BAY IN SIMEI

r u so afraid that you would lose money in this project that you keep coming here to promote it? IMO nobody here really cares about DBR except for those who dwell in that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tanumy

who ever you are ... i respect you lah ..

you never fail to 'pop up' ...

I was reading the postings above and following the discussions about whether HDB flats can or cannot be rented out etc. when suddenly ...

For a moment, I thought that it's something about 'UPSIDE' potential for HDB flats because they can be rented out.

yes you can rent out your whole HDB after a MOP of 5 years and you can stay in your condo while doing that. Checked and verified with HDB on this already. For those living overseas, you are allowed to rent out entire unit. My friend bought a unit in Jan, now renting out after getting HDB approval.

talk about the irrelevance of existence...

you get 100 marks for persistence but you are definitely putting people off DBR rather than attracting them. Ah, i get it now!!!! You are, in fact, ANTI-DBR. I've solved the conundrum now!!!!!!!

Good job mate!

Quote Originally Posted by shespawn
    yes you can rent out your whole HDB after a MOP of 5 years and you can stay in your condo while doing that. Checked and verified with HDB on this already. For those living overseas, you are allowed to rent out entire unit. My friend bought a unit in Jan, now renting out after getting HDB approval.
    This will be interesting ... as most of my friends who have since moved to pte properties have sold their HDB dwelling and the common reasons being "HDB rules 'stipulates' that in order to live in their new homes, they have to sell the public housing ...". Not sure they try in the first place to apply, anyway. But perhaps will be a good discussion topic during our next gathering.

This will be interesting ... as most of my friends who have since moved to pte properties have sold their HDB dwelling and the common reasons being "HDB rules 'stipulates' that in order to live in their new homes, they have to sell the public housing ...". Not sure they try in the first place to apply, anyway. But perhaps will be a good discussion topic during our next gathering.
    http://askhdb.hdb.gov.sg/Home/hybrid...D=0&Selected=7

Q: I have bought a private residential property. Can I sublet my HDB flat and live in my private property?
    [Living in HDB Flats > Purchasing Private Properties]
    A: No. You and your family must continue to live in the HDB flat unless you have obtained approval from HDB under the Subletting Flat Policy.
    The requisite occupation period for flat owners who wish to sublet their HDB flat is as follows:
    • 3 years for non-subsidised flats, i.e flats purchased from the open market without a CPF housing grant.
    • 5 years for subsidised flats, i.e flats purchased directly from HDB or from the open market with a CPF housing grant.

in the past, one has to stay in the hdb and rent out the pte. But in recent years, these rules have changed. As long you satifisfy the MOP, you can rent out the whole place even if you stay in pte. Being kiasu, I've called up HDB twice to confirm. But the rules might change again, so still good to have some flexibility to adapt to it.

Quote Originally Posted by shespawn
    in the past, one has to stay in the hdb and rent out the pte. But in recent years, these rules have changed. As long you satifisfy the MOP, you can rent out the whole place even if you stay in pte. Being kiasu, I've called up HDB twice to confirm. But the rules might change again, so still good to have some flexibility to adapt to it.
    Good to hear that ... Guess I am still YESTERDAY's news ?

B4 that "HUGE .... " thing come again ... thanks for the valuable information !