Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Landed homes lift private property market

Quote Originally Posted by chho
    The psf price for cluster housing quoted is based on built-in area, which is similar to how you would calculate psf for condominiums. The URA caveat lodged for a landed property is a psf price based on the size of land.

Considering the fact that the built-in area for a brand new semi-d is almost always larger than its land area, the psf price based on its built-in area will be substantially lower. Thus $630 psf quoted for Verdana Villa may not be as cheap as it seems.

If my budget is 3m, I will definitely buy a brand new, freehold semi-d in Serangoon Gardens. I own my land. I decide what kind of amenities I will have on my land. I decide how I will eventually rebuild the house on my land. No common areas. No rules and regulations. No monthly maintenance fee.
    Thanks for the reply. At the current rate, $3m cannot get a FH semi-d in serangoon garden leh..even if it is an old unit. This was my original though, get an old semi-d but with a large plot and then re-build the house. But with my budget and prices going to sky high, unable to do this unless it is in a less popular area.

By the way, Verdana Villa is selling well... 26 out of the 54 units have been sold. Probably some PRs are also buying...

Quote Originally Posted by gunbound
    Thanks for the reply. At the current rate, $3m cannot get a FH semi-d in serangoon garden leh..even if it is an old unit. This was my original though, get an old semi-d but with a large plot and then re-build the house. But with my budget and prices going to sky high, unable to do this unless it is in a less popular area.

By the way, Verdana Villa is selling well... 26 out of the 54 units have been sold. Probably some PRs are also buying...

2.6 mio you can get a corner terrace ..land 3600 sqft at least ...built up 4500 sqft 6 bedroom

I thought PR's are not allowed to buy cluster landed housing unless they obtain permission from the govt. authority. So PR's could not have possibly bought many units. I am not sure why its selling well because the pricing is quite steep for Verdana Villas about 2.8-2.9m for a semi-d. Land share per unit is only 1500-1600 sf. At these prices you are better off buying new Luxus Hill terraces(only 2kms away from Verdana) which is around 1.85-1.9m for an intermediate with land of 1615sf. Also its single titled and not strata titled like cluster housing.

Quote Originally Posted by jsh
    I thought PR's are not allowed to buy cluster landed housing unless they obtain permission from the govt. authority. So PR's could not have possibly bought many units. I am not sure why its selling well because the pricing is quite steep for Verdana Villas about 2.8-2.9m for a semi-d. Land share per unit is only 1500-1600 sf. At these prices you are better off buying new Luxus Hill terraces(only 2kms away from Verdana) which is around 1.85-1.9m for an intermediate with land of 1615sf. Also its single titled and not strata titled like cluster housing.
    land 1500-1600 sqft ..to achieve 4500 sqft built up thats at least 5 storey ... does it come with lift ?

if yes ... long term maintenance is an issue ..

if not ... good luck climbing

and becos its narrow and high .. the rooms on the 3, 4,5th floor can be really really hot ..
    think about the cost to run fans and aircons

even this inter terrace has a bigger land size .. 1.4 mio .. throw in 1 mio .. build up to 4 storey ... 4000 sqft ... 6-7 bedrooms .. still 2.4 mio ...

i really dont understand why people like clusters ..

i have visited at least 3 friends who own and rent clusters.. their biggest complain .. CLIMBING + HOT ...

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    even this inter terrace has a bigger land size .. 1.4 mio .. throw in 1 mio .. build up to 4 storey ... 4000 sqft ... 6-7 bedrooms .. still 2.4 mio ...

i really dont understand why people like clusters ..

i have visited at least 3 friends who own and rent clusters.. their biggest complain .. CLIMBING + HOT ...
    2 more complains: Staircase is so narrow and maintenance is high

You can definitely find a new fh semi d with a 3m budget in Serangoon gardens. Check the Saturday classifieds. You may even be able to find a smallish terrace in district 11 if you look hard enough. The important thing is to buy land, don't follow the crowd at Verdana Villa...

You can definitely find a new fh semi d with a 3m budget in Serangoon gardens. Check the Saturday classifieds. You may even be able to find a smallish terrace in district 11 if you look hard enough. The important thing is to buy land, don't follow the crowd at Verdana Villa...
    there are so many single storey semi D with decent land size ..say 3500 sqft ..some even bigger..

just pay 1.5 for the land .. and spend 1 mio to build your dream house ... still 2.5 mio ...

dont believe he said 3 mio cannot find hahha

and can even compare Barker rd and serangoon ??

wa piang .. he really knows ntg

Just wondering...
    when there is a mad rush to landed by home buyers and investors alike. .
    1) Does it mean mass-market and mid-teir condos are overpriced now? '
    2) Is this the last stage of the ppty bull market for the avg homebuyers/investors(exclude high-end/luxury as those are considered price insensitive?).

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    Just wondering...
    2) Is this the last stage of the ppty bull market for the avg homebuyers/investors(exclude high-end/luxury as those are considered price insensitive?).
    I think there's also the possibility that now with many new PR's from China & also India there's this scenario that many may take up citizenship & thus be eligible to buy landed. At the moment its only a trickle. So the thinking is that its better not to wait for a deluge of demand should these people become citizens.

In the past we can all wait as only citizens(mostly longtime Singaporeans) can buy so the demand is limited. At least thats the thinking. But now we must be wary & secure one first before new citizens enter the market for landed property & price Singapore born citizens out of the market.

A case in point. I was looking for landed property in Serangoon Gardens recently. Guess what? My competitor was a new citizen from China who's shopping for his 2nd landed property. So you are now up against these people not just fellow longtime Singaporeans.

I think there's also the possibility that now with many new PR's from China & also India there's this scenario that many may take up citizenship & thus be eligible to buy landed. At the moment its only a trickle. So the thinking is that its better not to wait for a deluge of demand should these people become citizens.

In the past we can all wait as only citizens(mostly longtime Singaporeans) can buy so the demand is limited. At least thats the thinking. But now we must be wary & secure one first before new citizens enter the market for landed property & price Singapore born citizens out of the market.

A case in point. I was looking for landed property in Serangoon Gardens recently. Guess what? My competitor was a new citizen from China who's shopping for his 2nd landed property. So you are now up against these people not just fellow longtime Singaporeans.
    Hmm... that was something i missed out on .. the PRs and foreigners who convert to citizens. Thanks. I guess we would be seeing more of them competing for the last bastion of singapore.

Hmm... that was something i missed out on .. the PRs and foreigners who convert to citizens. Thanks. I guess we would be seeing more of them competing for the last bastion of singapore.

didnt i say sometime ago ... withered leaves return to the ground

one day Singapore will be 'part' of China

didnt i say sometime ago ... withered leaves return to the ground

one day Singapore will be 'part' of China
    Woohoo! Do I get a China Passport with it too?

Woohoo! Do I get a China Passport with it too?
    aiyo

you sure you want ?

i really dont mind these people ... but i hope they do not bring with them the habits ...

always believe :

YOu can take them out of Kampung,
    But you cannot take the Kampung out of them

Just wondering...
    Singaporeans are getting sick of paying millions for a pigeon hole in the sky. Guess it is either condos are over priced or landed is still cheap.

I have a feeling the final stage of the property "bubble" will be one characterised by foreigners buying up high end condos. We have yet to reach 2007 high. The mainland Chinese are setting record prices in Hong Kong, London and New York. It's a matter of time before they come to Singapore. Maybe Las Vegas Sands will remind them...

there are so many single storey semi D with decent land size ..say 3500 sqft ..some even bigger..

just pay 1.5 for the land .. and spend 1 mio to build your dream house ... still 2.5 mio ...

dont believe he said 3 mio cannot find hahha

and can even compare Barker rd and serangoon ??

wa piang .. he really knows ntg
    I don't think you can get Serangoon Gardens "3500 sq ft or bigger" for $1.5 million (below $429 psf) anymore.

Below are the three latest transactions.

I suggest "gunbound" to buy one like the second one (48, Farleigh Avenue) which just suits his budget of $3 million, which is not brandnew but doesn't need to rebuild.

42 Carisbrooke Grove

48 Farleigh Avenue

83 Hythe Road

Quote Originally Posted by jlrx
    I don't think you can get Serangoon Gardens "3500 sq ft or bigger" for $1.5 million (below $429 psf) anymore.

I suggest "gunbound" to buy one like the second one (48, Farleigh Avenue) which just suits his budget of $3 million, which is not brandnew but doesn't need to rebuild.

42 Carisbrooke Grove

48 Farleigh Avenue

83 Hythe Road

48 farleigh ave looks like a good buy. Big plot of land with a decent looking 2 storey house. Pity it is not slightly bigger to be converted into a small bungalow. All you probably need is to redo the washrooms and a new coat of paint before moving in. Then you just sit on that piece of land for the next 3 generations.

42 Carisbrooke Grove

Haha! This one I've seen before and I liked it.. but parents don't like it.. The asking was $2mil if I remember correctly... was damn cheap! .. And it's situated on highland.. and if built up to 2 storey, you can see the whole estate view.

Haha! This one I've seen before and I liked it.. but parents don't like it.. The asking was $2mil if I remember correctly... was damn cheap! .. And it's situated on highland.. and if built up to 2 storey, you can see the whole estate view.
    u seem to be "looking" for property for very very long time. are u serious of getting one or just window shopping with your "6 million $". when property down u don have ball to buy. now property sky rocketing u say it doesnt matter since is for own stay. aiyo cannot understand a person with net worth of 6 million can be so indecisive.

Reporter is offline F01 N54 Sheer Driving Pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by ay123, 14 April 2010 3.34 pm
    u seem to be "looking" for property for very very long time. are u serious of getting one or just window shopping with your "6 million $". when property down u don have ball to buy. now property sky rocketing u say it doesnt matter since is for own stay. aiyo cannot understand a person with net worth of 6 million can be so indecisive.
    He is good in creating wealth, e.g. making $6M, but not good in spending wealth, e.g. buy a house.

Just teasing my fellow alumnus.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

No lah, he need further confirmation that the $6m is worth spending by seeing further increase in price. (just joking!).
    Joke aside, many people always willing to buy only when prices have gone up because they can still ride on the uptrend while not willing to buy during downtrend as we won't know where is the bottom. These are usually very conservative fellow.

Quote Originally Posted by ay123

haha.. fellow bros getting fustrated at a non-performer..
    If peer appraisal , I sure get the louiest grade...

Pardon the noob ... Your tolerance is much appreciated.

Maybe my motto should be "No guts, No glory. Go wrong, Up Lorry".

42 Carisbrooke Grove

48 Farleigh Avenue

83 Hythe Road

Thanks jlrx. Yes, you cant really get a decent second hand unit and move-in condition semi-D at Serangoon garden with $3mil at the current rate. The unit at 83 hythe rd seems a good choice at $2.18mil. Probably can spend another $1m to rebuild a 3-storey unit for my family and parents, though it exceeds my budget by $200K. Will probably check out this unit. Thanks again!!

The land size and price in Serangoon Gardens is considered reasonable. But having stayed in D19 for many years, it just doesnt appeal to me anymore.

Proximity to town is still a key factor whether buying landed or not.

Thanks jlrx. Yes, you cant really get a decent second hand unit and move-in condition semi-D at Serangoon garden with $3mil at the current rate. The unit at 83 hythe rd seems a good choice at $2.18mil. Probably can spend another $1m to rebuild a 3-storey unit for my family and parents, though it exceeds my budget by $200K. Will probably check out this unit. Thanks again!!
    Dont know what u mean about 'checking out this unit' . This property has just been sold on 26 march 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    The land size and price in Serangoon Gardens is considered reasonable. But having stayed in D19 for many years, it just doesnt appeal to me anymore.

Proximity to town is still a key factor whether buying landed or not.
    Just curious, where would be your ideal location? Intend to switch over to a condo or will still stick to landed in your ideal location? Looks like properties will appreciate further in the 2nd quarter in line with the strong economic numbers released this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by ay123
    now prices rising, best to hibernate & not chase ...

Quote Originally Posted by moneyspinner
    Just curious, where would be your ideal location? Intend to switch over to a condo or will still stick to landed in your ideal location? Looks like properties will appreciate further in the 2nd quarter in line with the strong economic numbers released this morning.
    Ever considered river valley if you are looking for condos? 5 minutes to Orchard, 10 minutes to Raffles Place and traffic is usually good. Restaurants bars and clubs everywhere. A few of the larger projects are trading at D15 prices.

Quote Originally Posted by moneyspinner
    Personally, I bgt landed in Katong (D15) to stay cos I just love to be near the sun, sand & sea. And it's very close to all the actions / amenities - Katong famous eateries, Parkway Parade, East Coast Park, Kallang Sports Hub, Marina Bay, CBD (10 mins drive).

If you have the moolah, Crescent Rd / Goodman Rd will be best ideal location for landed. The neighbourhood isrevamped with mostly new rebuilt houses. Minimum $3M.

Never really like Bukit Timah since amenities are not within walking distance.

For condos, agree Mohammad Sultan area is very prime and interesting, provided you like to stay with ang mohs...those are better for rental.

Is it really 10 mins to CBD?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    Personally, I bgt landed in Katong (D15) to stay cos I just love to be near the sun, sand & sea. And it's very close to all the actions / amenities - Katong famous eateries, Parkway Parade, East Coast Park, Kallang Sports Hub, Marina Bay, CBD (10 mins drive).

If you have the moolah, Crescent Rd / Goodman Rd will be best ideal location for landed. The neighbourhood isrevamped with mostly new rebuilt houses. Minimum $3M.

Never really like Bukit Timah since amenities are not within walking distance.

For condos, agree Mohammad Sultan area is very prime and interesting, provided you like to stay with ang mohs...those are better for rental.