Page 21 of 144 FirstFirst ... 61116171819202122232425263136414651 ... LastLast

Thread: Property market sentiments 2010

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Many agents do that as they need the 1% to entice & persuade the seller to issue the option (usually happens for cases where seller has not made up their mind to sell at this price or not).
    As a buyer I need to issue the 1% to make sure the seller is sign the opt immediately when there's a cheque, in case seller change mind and increase price.

As a seller I want the 1% to make sure it's a serious buyer, not those who kns give offer but when you agree to the price the cheque never appear.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

So true.

Quote Originally Posted by Property_Owner
    As a buyer I need to issue the 1% to make sure the seller is sign the opt immediately when there's a cheque, in case seller change mind and increase price.

As a seller I want the 1% to make sure it's a serious buyer, not those who kns give offer but when you agree to the price the cheque never appear.

Reporter is offline F01 N54 Sheer Driving Pleasure

Invest: Property
    New price index more timely
    SRPI tracks prices on monthly basis, gives more accurate picture of state of market
    Joyce Teo
    The Sunday Times
    Sunday, 28 March 2010

Last Wednesday, the Institute of Real Estate Studies at the National University of Singapore (NUS) announced that it had formulated an index called the Singapore Residential Price Index (SRPI).

It tracks prices of completed private non-landed homes month on month and will provide owners, investors, banks and property watchers with another source of price data.

Property experts have commented that it will be a more timely index than the quarterly one put out by the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA).

The SRPI can serve as a reference index that will help expand the suite of property-based financial products, such as property derivatives.

The index is based on the transacted prices of a selected basket that broadly represents the target market. Therefore, landed homes, projects that are more than a decade old, and those that are small, rarely traded or targeted for collective sales, are excluded.

The basket will change every 2 years to reflect changes in the completed stock of private non-landed homes.

Its initial make-up comprises 74,359 units in 364 projects across 26 postal districts, completed between October 1998 and September last year.

Also, the SRPI takes into account the address, completion date, tenure, leasehold maturity, floor level and strata area of all units in the completed projects in this basket.

The URA property price index, on the other hand, is designed to provide the general public and industry players with a broad indication of price trends in the private residential market, a URA spokesman said.

It is thus compiled based on all types of transactions (that is, new sales, sub-sales and resales) and covers both landed and non-landed private homes.

Also, the URA releases price indices for both non-landed and landed properties.

In particular, URA's index includes prices of uncompleted units sold by developers and sub-sales. Such transactions account for about half of all transactions, said the spokesman.

The SRPI has only 2 sub-indices by region - central and non-central areas.

Already, its flash data for January showed a rise in prices that month.

The data shows that resale prices in the non-central regions have now exceeded the previous high in January 2008 by 4.5%.

However, the prices for the central region are still about 10% below the previous peak.

Associate Professor Lum Sau Kim, who led the NUS project, said 1 key feature of the SRPI is that it will not be unduly influenced by small numbers of transactions in a quiet market.

The impact of one-off extremely high or low prices will also be dampened, she said.

Knight Frank chairman Tan Tiong Cheng said: 'Now we have a very clear, transparent and timely index. The lag period is only 1 month. The main difference is that the URA indices are computed based on the moving average of the value of transactions over the last 12 quarters, so there's a greater lag effect.'

Besides the timing, Cushman & Wakefield managing director Donald Han pointed out that the SRPI should provide a more accurate picture as its basket does not include new launches. These are typically priced higher than the market and may not reflect the state of the overall market.

Mr Simon Cheong, president of the Real Estate Developers' Association of Singapore, said at the launch of the index that an index like the SRPI, computed based on the market value of a fixed reference basket of properties over time, 'can better reflect the actual movement in price'.

'We are all well aware of how, for example, the current proliferation of 'micro apartments' can distort the picture and send a wrong signal to the market when only median prices of all transactions are tracked and reported,' he said.

This is because these micro units, which can be 500 sqft or less, are sold at a higher psf price. As prices rise, units shrink to keep the total quantum price at an affordable level.

The index, updated on the 28th of every month, is available at http://www.ires.nus.edu.sg/srpi.aspx.
    Attached Files Attached Files

PM's dialogue With REACH Contributors
    Milking HDB flats 'a very bad trend'
    They are meant to be long-term assets for Singaporeans, not short-term cash cows
    Jeremy Au Yong
    Political Correspondent
    The Sunday Times
    Sunday, 28 March 2010

It was revealed in Parliament earlier this month that many of the families living in tents on the beach had sold their homes and spent the cash. Yesterday, Mr Lee expressed grave concerns over the trend of people trying to sell off their HDB flats to make money, with little regard for where they are going to live next.

Of the many people turning to their MPs for help when they run into trouble paying for their flats, none is a first-time owner living in the home he bought straight from the Housing Board.

Instead, they tend to be people who have bought and sold HDB flats more than once in a bid to make a quick buck.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong highlighted this point at a dialogue yesterday, as he expressed grave concerns over a trend of people trying to sell off their HDB flats to make money, with little regard for where they are going to live next.

Some turn to their MPs to appeal for cheap rental flats. Others turn to friends and relatives. Some even set up camp on the beach.

The beach communities, in particular, have been making the news of late.

During the Budget debate earlier this month, it was revealed in Parliament that many of the families living in tents on the beach had sold their homes and spent the cash. Some demanded rental flats from the Government.

The topic was raised at yesterday's dialogue at the Grassroots Club by 51-year-old counsellor Tamilarisee Muthu. She said it was worrying to see that some people did not consider the flat a home, but rather as a means to make money.

Mr Lee similarly called it 'a very bad trend' and something that the Government was watching closely.

He recounted a meeting with such a person that left a deep impression on him.

A woman had gone to him seeking help buying a new flat. When he asked her why she wanted to buy a new flat, she replied in Chinese: 'Because I have no money.'

He recalled: 'Because she had no money, she sold her present flat and took the cash. So she wants a new flat (from the HDB), and a new loan from HDB...She will borrow to the limit all over again, and hopes to pay back some time in the future...It's a disaster.'

The Prime Minister stressed that Housing Board flats are meant to be long-term assets for Singaporeans, not short-term cash cows.

'When we help people to own a home, it is really for you for life. It's an asset as well as a roof, and is meant to see you through into your old age,' he said.

Flat owners who are elderly could choose to sell their flats and move in with their children, or go into a lease buyback arrangement with HDB to generate a stream of future income, he noted.

Those who are 'not so old', however, should think twice before selling. 'What happens to you, or more importantly, your children - where do they go?'

The Government has recently taken steps to try and counter the very bad trend.

One is to reduce the amount of the loan granted by HDB, at concessionary interest rates, to second- time buyers.

HDB will now take into account how much money is in the owner's Central Provident Fund (CPF) account, and the profit he made from selling the first flat.

Said Mr Lee: 'I told the HDB, Make sure that when people sell the flat, you counsel them, tell them if you ever come back and want a loan again, this is all you're going to be entitled to, please take note.

'If you think you can't afford the new home, then please don't sell your flat.'

Moving forward, he said the Government will channel more of its housing aid via the CPF.

The Additional Housing Grant which lower-income families are already eligible for is an example. These families can get up to $40,000 to help buy a flat, but the money goes into their CPF accounts.

When they sell the flat, the money goes back into the CPF account - where it can help tide them through their old age.

Not perturbed
    'Singaporeans are completely impassive, relaxed, calm. There is no tension, there is no misapprehension that something is wrong in Singapore or can go wrong. Maybe there is a bit too much confidence, but they know that this is somebody else's problem and not Singapore's problem.'
    PM LEE, on how Singaporeans reacted to the 'Allah controversy' in Malaysia

Passports still necessary
    'I didn't know of any passport-free travel plan by 2010. I think we can make it more convenient to travel, but I'm not sure we can do it passport-free because it's really two countries.'
    On whether there will be passport-free travel between Singapore and Malaysia, as some Malaysian newspapers have suggested

Making S'pore better
    'I'm not looking for a legacy. We are looking for ways where three, four million Singaporeans can lead good lives, healthy, secure, well-educated, fulfilling with opportunities and a future for themselves and their children, which means continue making Singapore better, work harder but create for ourselves a living environment and opportunities for ourselves and for our children.'
    On what legacy he wants to leave

全球富有城市 新加坡排第7
    (Singapore remains the 7th richest city in the world)
    综合电
    新明日报
    星期六, 27-3-2010

新加坡在《2010年财富报告》中名列第7。(档案照片)

英国房地产顾问公司莱坊(Knight Frank)和美国花旗私人银行(Citi Private Bank)昨联合发表《2010年财富报告》(The Wealth Report 2010),公布全球最富有且最具影响力城市排行榜,纽约、伦敦和巴黎分居全球前3名。

新加坡的排名保持不变,排在第7位,而北京则首度跻身前10名排第9。

报告根据联合国、国际货币基金会、欧盟等组织提供的资料,细分经济活力、政治势力、教育文化影响力及生活品质等4项,替全球40个城市评分,每项指数满分为40分。

但名列前茅的几个城市并非在所有指数中均据第一,比如,纽约市在“经济活力”、“科研基础”两个指数中最高,但在政治影响和生活水平方面却位居第二和第八。

Quote Originally Posted by Reporter, Southbank, 28 March 2010 11.00 pm
    Quote Originally Posted by thesailowner, SkyscraperCity-Southbank, 28 March 2010 8.02 pm
    Southbank 2 bedders 2x-12 sold 1500 psf
    $1,500 psf? A nëw hïgh?

OK. Southbank, you win! I have nothing to say.
    Wow! District 7, happening!

Just wondering what are the current risks in the world that could derail our rising property prices and economy recovery?

The Euro crisis?

Anymore you can identify?

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    Wow.. you indeed know my parents
    So far, they have rejected old units and want only the new units.
    Anyway, you are right.. they do not know what they want even after i try to narrow down for them. They will switch back and forth (between landed and condos). No end to it.

My house hunting continues while the price increment continues..

Now looking at One Amber, Riverine@kallang, Seafront@meyer, belvedere@meyer.. They want view...
    Focus, why don't you just keep the $$$ and don't buy anything? I know I will kena flamed for this by the many bulls in this forum, but I can think of 1001 more attractive things to do (eg UK/NY market, blue chips) with the moolah than investing in the local property market this year.

Don't buy because you have to.... At best, limit your exposure by getting an older devt (cos valuations are more attractive) and do it up nicely before getting your folks over. My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by new2mondrian, 29 March 2010 9.49 am
    Focus, why don't you just keep the $$$ and don't buy anything? I know I will kena flamed for this by the many bulls in this forum, but I can think of 1001 more attractive things to do (eg UK/NY market, blue chips) with the moolah than investing in the local property market this year.

Don't buy because you have to.... At best, limit your exposure by getting an older devt (cos valuations are more attractive) and do it up nicely before getting your folks over. My 2 cents.
    You buy with a calculator!
    "Focus" buys with a loving heart!

He is buying a house for his family (mainly his parents, in this case) - not for investment.
    If they (his parents) want landed, it shall be. If they want condo, it shall be. If they want resale, it shall be. If they want new, it shall be. If they want ..........

.......... it shall be.

I can foresee his wife getting a new car after he bought his house (for mainly his parents). Lastly, he may (or may not) get a new car for himself too. I am so familiar with this sequence.

reporter, the sequence will be after buying the parents' house, the leftover will be used to buy another investment condo in the city? Then the leftover will be used to buy a new car.

mondrian, yup, i'm holding on to the money.. I've already got my investment portfolio in the market. Do not wish to put too much into shares. But if the market continues going up, i may be able to get another condo fully paid with my shares profit.

Quote Originally Posted by focus, 29 March 2010 1.18 pm
    reporter, the sequence will be after buying the parents' house, the leftover will be used to buy another investment condo in the city? Then the leftover will be used to buy a new car.

mondrian, yup, i'm holding on to the money.. I've already got my investment portfolio in the market. Do not wish to put too much into shares. But if the market continues going up, i may be able to get another condo fully paid with my shares profit.
    Buying an investment condo is a good move as car(s) is/are depreciating assets. "new2mondrian"'s calculator will be useful for this purpose. Mine can work too but may not be accurate.

组屋溢价微涨10% 显示转售市场趋稳
    (HDB resale market stabilised with a moderate COV increase of only 10%)
    蔡永伟
    联合早报
    星期一, 29-3-2010

数据显示,今年1月和2月份的组屋溢价虽然没有下降,但也没有出现像去年第四季飙升一倍的情况,而是微涨了约10%。溢价中位数最近数个月来已经回稳,在今年1月首两个星期已回落到2万2000元。购屋者对转售组屋的需求虽然持续强劲,但与去年第四季的情况相比,今年首两个月的组屋溢价变化不大,似乎显示转售市场已开始稳定。

博纳集团(PropNex)和ERA房地产公司根据各自转售组屋交易量提供给《联合早报》的最新中位数现金溢价(median cash-over-valuation)数据显示,今年1月和2月份的组屋溢价虽然没有下降,但也没有出现像去年第四季飙升一倍的情况,而是微涨了约10%。

组屋溢价中位数可作为转售市场的温度计。溢价指的是要价与估价间的价差,由于它超越估价,因此不能用房屋贷款或公积金存款支付。换言之,溢价是估价以外的现金数额,溢价越高,意味着买家需掏出更多现金。

中位数指的是数据里头的中间数字,即有一半数字比中位数高,另一半则比它低,因此不受极端数据影响。根据建屋发展局今年1月底发布的资料,去年第四季的溢价中位数增至2万4000元,虽然比前一季的1万2000元上涨一倍,但溢价中位数最近数个月来已经回稳,在今年1月首两个星期已回落到2万2000元。

《联合早报》向建屋局询问今年首两个月的溢价数据,但它不愿透露详情,只答复说:“建屋局下个月底才会公布今年首季的溢价数据。建屋局每三个月定期发布溢价、转售价指数等数据。”

根据ERA的数据,购屋者现在愿意付出比估价高出2万6000元的价钱,这个溢价只比去年第四季的高出8%。博纳集团的数据则显示,今年首两个月的五房式组屋溢价维持在去年第四季的水平,同样是2万5000元。三房和四房式组屋的溢价则稍微上升约10%。

博纳集团和ERA房地产公司的组屋转售市场占有率分别约达35%和41%。博纳集团总裁伊斯迈接受《联合早报》访问时说:“(今年头两个月的)溢价水平和去年第四季的非常相似。”

也有转售交易 是以零溢价成交

他透露,尽管一些屋子以超过3万元的溢价售出,但也有转售交易是以零溢价成交。伊斯迈指出:“有些购屋者甚至以低于估价的价格买到地点和楼层较不理想的组屋。”资深房地产顾问麦俊荣指出,两家公司的溢价微涨是意料中事,如果是增至3万元,那就会让人大跌眼镜。

他分析说:“虽然还是有一小部分购屋者愿意付出比估价高出5、6万元的价钱,但绝大部分的人已经抗拒支付高溢价,顶多只愿付2万多元的溢价。”

麦俊荣因此不认为溢价会继续以惊人涨幅攀升。他预测,接下来的溢价可能会有波动,可上升几千元,也可下跌几千元,但会维持在2万多元的水平。他认为,待建屋局的新降温措施开始奏效后,转售组屋溢价今年中便有望缓和下来。

国家发展部长马宝山本月初在国会拨款委员会辩论预算时宣布建屋局新条例,规定非津贴组屋的屋主须住满三年才能售屋,以减少投机行为。根据修改前的条例,屋主若向建屋局贷款,得住满两年半才能售屋;如果向银行贷款及无需贷款者,则得住上一年。

房地产分析员一般相信,这项新条例将减低转售组屋需求,有助于组屋转售价格及溢价趋稳。

至于溢价最终会否下跌,伊斯迈说:“是有这个可能性,但这还得视市场的供需情况而定。只要组屋单位持续供不应求,溢价将会很难下调。”

ERA助理副总裁林东荣提醒购屋者要量力而为。他说:“如果溢价超出你能负担的水平,那就不买。我们都有选择。”

建屋局也重申,转售组屋交易是买卖双方在你情我愿的情况下,在公开市场上完成的,而溢价主要是双方商谈后的结果。卖方卖屋理所当然会要求最高的价格,而买方应把其他购屋选择考虑在内,并在单位价格、地点等因素之间作出取舍,购买一间能负担得起的组屋。

Quote Originally Posted by Reporter

(HDB resale market stabilised with a moderate COV increase of only 10%)
    The game is, the valuation is now catching up, so the margin for COV is narrower.

focus, actually it is very nice and thoughtful of you to go to such lengths to find a house your parents will like. All the best in your search!

Yup, shares market moving up..... too bad I cashed out too early before CNY this year. Very tempted to enter the shares market... well, shall see.... hopefully you can get your dream home and investment condo soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Reporter
    Buying an investment condo is a good move as car(s) is/are depreciating assets. "new2mondrian"'s calculator will be useful for this purpose. Mine can work too but may not be accurate.
    My calculator is not as fantastic as some of you guys'! I looked and looked, but lacked the guts to move most of the time... as a result I missed out on most of the property deals (eg Ming Teck Park terrace at $1.38M, One Amber at $720psf, One North at $600psf, One Jervois at $980psf) last year.... If only I'd bought....well....

That's why I couldn't bring myself to buy anything this year. The price movement was really not for the faint hearted.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    The game is, the valuation is now catching up, so the margin for COV is narrower.
    Has HDB raised their valuation of resale flats?
    BE CENTRED BY ALL AT THE FRINGE OF THE CITY @

Your sequence is wrong.

You should have bought the investment condo first, instead of letting your parents hold up your purchases.

You could have bought two-and-a-half houses for the price of one now. Just look at Seletar Hills which you were looking at ...

Quote Originally Posted by august
    how about sentosa cove
    Money no enough..
    I'm satisfied with FH land in east coast or seletar ..

Quote Originally Posted by jlrx
    Your sequence is wrong.

You should have bought the investment condo first, instead of letting your parents hold up your purchases.

You could have bought two-and-a-half houses for the price of one now. Just look at Seletar Hills which you were looking at ...
    Jlrx, you are right I missed out on a lot of good deals. But then again, I am not so confident of myself in property market. So, even if they did not buy, I might not have the guts to buy too.

Oh well, in life, there are experiences and lessons.. I will keep that in mind. next cycle, i will monitor the forum here.. when there are minimal posting like in 3q 2008 to 1q2009, we know it's time to strike. ;p

But I must say in this forum, I have gained a lot more knowledge in property investing than the other one called skyscraper city.

Jlrx, you are right I missed out on a lot of good deals. But then again, I am not so confident of myself in property market. So, even if they did not buy, I might not have the guts to buy too.

Oh well, in life, there are experiences and lessons.. I will keep that in mind. next cycle, i will monitor the forum here.. when there are minimal posting like in 3q 2008 to 1q2009, we know it's time to strike. ;p

But I must say in this forum, I have gained a lot more knowledge in property investing than the other one called skyscraper city.
    I wish to use your sentences highlighted in red above to make a point.

Many people here have the same thinking as you, i.e. in the next cycle when the market crashes like in 3q 2008 and 1q 2009, it's time to buy.

In theory, this works; but in practice is doesn't. Here's why:

In 3q 2008 and 1q 2009, I was actually sweating (I am the eternal property bull and preacher of PROPERTISM who believed that property prices would always go up in the long term); and Property_Owner here (I recall) was having some some problem with his "weak heart".

Not that I'm trying to show off, but I think I have more guts than 99.9% of Singaporeans, whether it be in properties or in my business. Yet during 3q 2008 and 1q 2009, I actually froze up.

It is actually during bull times like today that a person's guts grow big and bold, that makes it easiest to gather the courage to enter the market (which I have just done, again).

To enter the market during 3q 2008 and 1q 2009 when the market was in free fall was like catching a falling knife. That's why I respect those who entered the market during those times (and they had been amply rewarded for that).

During the "falling knife" period, I just froze and clung on to my properties and recited HOLY VERSES from my PROPERTISM HOLY BOOK ... "Property prices always go up in the long term ... property prices always go up in the long term ... properties should only be bought and not sold ..."

What? You have guts to go big on stocks but no guts to buy a property?

OMG. Did I miss something here?

Looks like I need to go to my neighbour's house upstairs to congratulate him... well done indeed! from $550k to $742k in 7 months!

Block Street Name Storey Floor Area (sqm) /Flat Model
    Lease Commence Date Resale Price Resale Approval Date

3 Holland Cl 11 to 15 124.00 Improved 1998 $742,000.00 Mar 2010

Quote Originally Posted by new2mondrian, 29 March 2010 6.42 pm
    Looks like I need to go to my neighbour's house upstairs to congratulate him... well done indeed! from $550k to $742k in 7 months!

Well! If 3-room HDB resale flat in Yishun can do $300,000, what is $742,000 for .....?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsee335, Channel NewsAsia Forum, 29 March 2010 2.48 pm
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered, Channel NewsAsia Forum, 29 March 2010 2.38 pm
    Quote Originally Posted by jsee335, Channel NewsAsia Forum, 29 March 2010 2.08 pm
    Yesterday, went for 2 viewing at Yishun. 3room unit. Demand 50k and

35k COV respectively. WOW!!!! .....3 room units are asking so high

COV!!!!...So the News reflect anything? No doubt the 2 units are well

revonated and is in good location. Total asking price cross 300k marks.

But is it really that the COV is stable now? And for this 2 units told by

Agent, last offer 40k and 28k respectively. So meaning there is still buyers

Paying high COV.....Horrible liao....Looking for 2 room hdb better liao....
    Increased 10% only, should be considered stabilised.

Maybe COV increase is getting smaller because valuation is going up?
    Problem now is that the Valuation price go up, the sellers also up the COV...Making the yishun 3room to cross 300k..You know, Yishun Wor.....If Yishun 3room can sell at 300k, that mean other area will be higher.....I shall see how much this 2 unit close deal....

only 1 conclusion.... even the HDB market has gone berserk!

we are talking about HDB here! $742k is absolute N..U..T..S...

okie okie... better stop talking... must endeavour to be better/nicer to my neighbours. I shall go and kaypoh around the block and try to view the unit. The walls are probably encased in gold.

Depot Rd 4-room flat's COV hits $70,000
    新明日报
    星期一, 29-3-2010

Executive maisonette in Bishan asking for $980,000
    联合晚报
    星期一, 29-3-2010

Quote Originally Posted by venice, Channel NewsAsia, 29 March 2010 9.14 pm
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderfool, Channel NewsAsia, 29 March 2010 9.09 pm
    Quote Originally Posted by AMERICAN PIT BULL, Channel NewsAsia, 29 March 2010 7.06 pm
    on the average hdb now rise abt 5- 10k every monthy.
    if stock market do not collapse,
    hdb will rise another 50-100k by end of the year
    can't believe my eye when i saw the average transaction of boon keng 5room flat selling at $700,000 . See how the price has escalated from 300k bought in 2006 to 2010.....400k difference

the HDB really doing nothing to stop this
    AMK 30 years 4 room hdb flat asking 100k COV. Wonder how to buy at a sensible price??? seems non stop up up up!
    Wow!
    Boon-Keng 5-room resale flats selling at $700,000 on average?
    Ang-Mo-Kio 4-room resale flats asking $100,000 COV?

IMF foresees rapid US growth
    Agence France-Presse
    Warsaw, Poland
    Monday, 29 March 2010, 10:53 am CET

View of a construction site in Miami in 2008. International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn said that the US economy looks set to return to relatively rapid growth soon. -- Photo: Joe Raedle, AFP

The US economy looks set to return to relatively rapid growth soon, International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn said here on Monday.

"The US economy, whilst it has been hard hit by the crisis, may recover rather rapidly," Strauss-Kahn said in a speech at the Warsaw School of Economics, during a visit to Poland.

"It's a flexible economy," noted Frenchman Strauss-Kahn, who is managing director of the Washington-based global lender.

"We'll see how rapid the recovery in the US economy can be. But I'm rather confident that the US economy will grow rather rapidly again quite soon," he added.

In January, the IMF raised its forecast for US growth this year to 2.7% from output in 2009, from its earlier 1.5% forecast.

Strauss-Kahn did not say whether the IMF was set to revise its forecast upwards again.

Quote Originally Posted by new2mondrian

can sell HDB within one year?? i thought earliest is one year?

Analysts expect 11-20% economic growth for Singapore in Q1
    May Wong
    Channel NewsAsia
    Monday, 29 March 2010, 2226 hrs

A manufacturing plant in Singapore

Analysts expect the Singapore economy to grow between 11 and 20% in the first quarter of this year, compared with last year.

Electronics and pharmaceuticals are expected to lead the expansion, and the outlook ahead appears relatively strong.

About 51,000 jobs were created in the last 8 months. And Singapore's industrial sector has also grown about 33% since November last year.

Analysts said these factors appear to be sustainable and will drive the Singapore economy forward.

Arjuna Mahendran, Head of Investment Strategy, Asia, HSBC Private Bank, said: "There's a very strong V shaped recovery upon us. I feel that this growth momentum is sustainable.

"It's sustainable for a very simple reason - which is that you're seeing a process of restocking commencing in the major developed markets in the US and in Europe. What you find is that all the de-stocking that took place in 2007 and 2008 has now reversed from about the middle of 2009.

"Now you're seeing much more inventory rebuild than we did for the whole of last year. So that will benefit the electronics sector in particular.

"We're now diversifying into higher value-added electronics like plastic electronics, biomedical-related electronics and other environmentally-related electronics devices, which are much more value-added and therefore generate much more profitability.

"On the biomedical sector, of course, there's much more volatility, because that's inherent in the sector. But I think going forward, even there, you'll see more stability as Singapore reaches a plateau in terms of the quality and the nature of the products which are associated with Singaporean production."

HSBC believes this will be fuelled by Singapore's reputation for being able to produce quality products in the biomedical sector.

But looking ahead, analysts remain concerned about monetary policy tightening by central banks globally as well as potential asset bubbles.

Vishnu Varathan, regional economist, Forecast, said: "Inevitably, we'll feel some of this impact, by virtue of being a financial centre in the region. Apart from that, we'll fall back on advanced economies, their recovery.

"The buffer from China has been really good in terms of propping up growth. But there's a sense that, especially with the US-China tensions building, this is not going to be sustainable, you need to see broader based growth and recovery."

Although sectors like electronics and biomedical are expected to continue to drive Singapore's manufacturing output for the rest of the year, some analysts said the services industry should not be overlooked.

With more tourist arrivals and higher hotel occupancy rates, the services sector may just be a surprise performer for this year.

For the full year, analysts said the Singapore economy could grow by 6.2 to 6.5%, which is at the top end of the government's forecast range of 4.5 to 6.5%.

The government is expected to announce the final first quarter economic numbers around mid-May.

Quote Originally Posted by new2mondrian

Wow ... that's 35% in 7 months!

What is the moral of the story?

The moral is this:

Do property prices go up 35% every 7 months? Of course not.

Some people can hold it for many years with hardly any increase, or even at a lost.

However, when property price rises, IT RISES! AND THE RISE SHALL WIPE OUT ALL THE YEARS OF ANGUISH AND WAITING ...

Unlike those fake "gurus" who advertise seminars in the Straits Times teaching people "how to make money from properties" (If they're so good, they don't need to conduct seminars to make a living) ... my advice is that properties should only be bought, and not sold (PROPERTISM RULE NO. 1).

You don't know when your time comes, but when IT COMES, IT COMES!!! and YOU DEFINITELY DON'T WANT TO MISS THE BOAT WHEN IT COMES ...

Quote Originally Posted by jlrx
    Wow ... that's 35% in 7 months!

What is the moral of the story?

The moral is this:

Do property prices go up 35% every 7 months? Of course not.

Some people can hold it for many years with hardly any increase, or even at a lost.

However, when property price rises, IT RISES! AND THE RISE SHALL WIPE OUT ALL THE YEARS OF ANGUISH AND WAITING ...

Unlike those fake "gurus" who advertise seminars in the Straits Times teaching people "how to make money from properties" (If they're so good, they don't need to conduct seminars to make a living) ... my advice is that properties should only be bought, and not sold (PROPERTISM RULE NO. 1).

You don't know when your time comes, but when IT COMES, IT COMES!!! and YOU DEFINITELY DON'T WANT TO MISS THE BOAT WHEN IT COMES ...
    Its true....now many current new prime condo launches...like l'viv, waterscape, laurels, centennia suites, trilight....all left not many units liao....agents in these show flats are experiencing very good sales with people now just walk in and plonk down cheques!

L'viv started with 147 units in feb' 10, hardly mar' 10 ending, and as of today left only 22 units!

Trilight all minimum quantum $2million at least, now left also 20 plus units, still over 80 units in feb' 10....

so property market when moves, moves in leaps and bounds....