Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glendale park

Default Glendale park

any comments on this property? Is it very noisy? How often the train passes? the workmanship? the layout?

Looking for a unit around that area, and thought of glendale, for it's proximity to future MRT and railmall...

any comments appreciated.

condo is neither here nor there and it is just beside mindef, a no no for me. The Rail Mall has nothing apart from EAT restaurant, a supermarket and a pub. The noise from the railway is rather constant even though it is not as constant as MRT. If you are a Stanchart customer the good thing is that the bank is just at your doorstep (but who knows how long they will remain there). My advice is to shun hillview altogether and look for Toh Tuck area where the life is going to be and Bt Timah MRT just opposite Blk 1 of Toh Yi.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    condo is neither here nor there and it is just beside mindef, a no no for me. The Rail Mall has nothing apart from EAT restaurant, a supermarket and a pub. The noise from the railway is rather constant even though it is not as constant as MRT. If you are a Stanchart customer the good thing is that the bank is just at your doorstep (but who knows how long they will remain there). My advice is to shun hillview altogether and look for Toh Tuck area where the life is going to be and Bt Timah MRT just opposite Blk 1 of Toh Yi.
    Oh thought the DTL will be near Glendale, no??

Condo would be near future MRT. Large site (600k sq ft of GFA) with only 400 units. Good facilities - 3 tennis courts, gym, dance studio, putting Green etc. It depends on what you're looking for. A very quiet and peaceful area surrounded by Dairy Farm Nature Park, Bt Timah nature reserve and Bt Batok Town Park. If you're afraid of the rail noise (I doubt it's very frequent but u can check the frequency), can look at those units facing the front on inwards, i.e. Hillview Ave - that side is quiet as the Mindef road is usually closed off to traffic. Correct me if I'm wrong, many of the condos at Toh Tuck side e.g. Signature Park would be very far from Beauty World MRT. Also, it's not as quiet or close to nature as Hillview. It really depends on your personal preference. It's an 8 year old condo or so, so it's not as spanky as a brand new one. I think Upper Bt Timah and Upper Thomson does have lots of potential because it's the only areas near nature reserves, in pristine condition, freehold and has future MRT. But you may have to wait some time to see the value unfold. If u prefer quick money, then should go CBD area.

Correct you on 2 points:

(1) Mindef rd is open to traffic every day and the roundabout is a traffic nightmare during for glendale residents peak hours.

(2) Signature Park is along Jalan Jurong Kechil and not Toh Tuck and it is nearer to the German Intl School side. Toh Tuck is nearer to Toh Yi Drive and the Bukit Timah shopping belt side which is more upmarket.

To add, Garden Vista which is just a short distance from Toh Tuck is already selling at past 1100psf and I think anything freehold and below 900 psf in Toh Tuck is definitely a good buy. Aiya, talking about that area reminds me of greenlodge a place i almost bought just months back.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    Condo would be near future MRT. Large site (600k sq ft of GFA) with only 400 units. Good facilities - 3 tennis courts, gym, dance studio, putting Green etc. It depends on what you're looking for. A very quiet and peaceful area surrounded by Dairy Farm Nature Park, Bt Timah nature reserve and Bt Batok Town Park. If you're afraid of the rail noise (I doubt it's very frequent but u can check the frequency), can look at those units facing the front on inwards, i.e. Hillview Ave - that side is quiet as the Mindef road is usually closed off to traffic. Correct me if I'm wrong, many of the condos at Toh Tuck side e.g. Signature Park would be very far from Beauty World MRT. Also, it's not as quiet or close to nature as Hillview. It really depends on your personal preference. It's an 8 year old condo or so, so it's not as spanky as a brand new one. I think Upper Bt Timah and Upper Thomson does have lots of potential because it's the only areas near nature reserves, in pristine condition, freehold and has future MRT. But you may have to wait some time to see the value unfold. If u prefer quick money, then should go CBD area.

Not sure if Toh Yi area with so mainly HDB flats and 99LH property is considered "upmarket" - but there are more eateries there but also a lot more crowded than Hillview due to the high rise HDB flats.

I recall I couldn't drive through to Mindef during weekends and i've been told its only open for very few hours a day during weekdays for tight security reasons. During the most critical times when one needs rest, i.e. at night and weekends and mornings, the road is closed. Even when the road is open, it is underutilisied. So it is quiet and serene - compared to many condos facing main roads or expressway.

But the first poster can also consider Greenlodge if u prefer Toh Tuck area. Further away from future MRT but seems cheaper than Glendale Park.

Default Will miss it when i go

Currently, I am renting a unit in Glendale Park, enjoying the stay here but still, I'm moving on once tenancy expires.

Pros: This is a great place to be in, great neighbours, good management, friendly guards and cleaners and nice condo layout, serene and warm. My unit faces greenery, it's really one big patch of open green space, simply love it! Traffic wise, my hubby didn't have big complaints although traffic moves slowly (not really a jam) during peak hours.

Cons: My main problem is transportation. I don't drive, although there is a free hourly shuttle bus to bukit batok interchange, getting around can still be a problem, esp when you have kids. The nearest childcare is up on the hill, very near if you drive, but drive me crazy to wait for the public bus or pushing the stroller up and down the hill everyday.

It's a far east development, workmanship not great as usual. Heard there is water leakage/termite problem in another block. Not a big problem for me as a tenant, but probably the owner will have some headache.

All in all, if you drive, this place is really worth considering. I've stayed in a few condos before, and this is by far one of the best, as the people living here makes a difference. The management do their job well, organised lots of activities and very friendly. The guards know us and play with the kids here. Even the shuttle bus uncle is super nice! I've done my homework before renting this place, and this condo gives me the best feel and value for money. I will definitely miss it.

Agree with the cons mentioned by the posters here. I have stayed in Hillview area, the traffic is bad, congestion in the morning. There is a lack of facilities, including childcare, shopping mall etc. In terms of market value, the condos there have low rental yield, especially the older condos, e.g. Hillview Heights (old and too densely built up, i.e. no en-bloc possibility). Hillview area is densely built up with too many condos. The potential for appreciation is low.

If you are interested in buying an older condo, you should take into account resale value. Though the condo may be FH, but with so many condo launches, it's pretty obvious that older condos depreciate fast just like used cars. Are you going to stay there for 20 years? If not, when you try to sell it after a few years, would people buy the old hillview condo or some newer ones?

I think Hillview area is overpriced. If you are buying for rental, choose a condo with good rental return, be it FH or leasehold. If you are buying for your own stay (with plan of resale in future), there are many better locations than Hillview and newer condos on the market.

It depends on the individuals. If you're looking for high density urban living, the Hillview/Chestnut/Dairy Farm is not for you. This is an area where there are more trees than human. More trees than human = ulu = the new cool. I just checked Glendale Park - condo with only 400 units are built on 500,000 sq ft of land with lushed landscape. You don't get that anymore - nowadays u get 400 units on 1/10th of the land area. It also means every unit in Glendale Park effectivley owns 1000sq ft of REAL LAND if u take 500,000/400 units. Such spaciousness u cannot find anywhere else. Just go D12 or D15 - the designated high density area when one can anyhow throw a stone u will hit a concrete building.

And its negative point, which is poor public transportation, will become a positive point in the future with the Hillview MRT station. But if you're looking for a nice sanctuary, surrounded by 4 nature reserves and parks which means very low pop density and away from the city to stay, it is probably the most undervalued area in SG. I note someone who has already SOLD a place obviously like to talk down on the place to feel good that he has not missed the upside. But the reality is when it comes to investment, you always have to look at future potential.

And the MRT cannot be priced in yet simply because it is 5 years away. Its like circle line condos increase in price suddenly in the last few months when the circle line becomes operational.

And all those rubbish about "densely built-up" is really rubbish. This is a designated low density area. If plot ratio is increased from the current 1.4 or 1.9 to say 2.8, from 5-10 storeys to 24 storeys, the enbloc potential will be huge - but that will be many years down the road lah. Plot ratio of 1.9 only, how dense can it be? Use some brain matter.

Correction. 600,000 sq ft of land with only 448 units, which means u can build every unit on the actual land without airspace and every unit will still be 1200sq ft - that is how spacious this condo is. This condo has 3 tennis courts.

I recall I couldn't drive through to Mindef during weekends and i've been told its only open for very few hours a day during weekdays for tight security reasons. During the most critical times when one needs rest, i.e. at night and weekends and mornings, the road is closed. Even when the road is open, it is underutilisied.
    I am suprised that the road would be closed in such fashion. You mean the residents cannot get in or out during closure period? Or do you mean just the entrance to Mindef is subjected to closure?

The entrance to Mindef is closed during weekends, at night and in the morning which means it becomes a dead end road. Residents can still get into their condos.

Quote Originally Posted by avo7007
    I am suprised that the road would be closed in such fashion. You mean the residents cannot get in or out during closure period? Or do you mean just the entrance to Mindef is subjected to closure?

Correction. 600,000 sq ft of land with only 448 units, which means u can build every unit on the actual land without airspace and every unit will still be 1200sq ft - that is how spacious this condo is. This condo has 3 tennis courts.
    Where did you get that information? From my measurement of google satellite photos, Glendale Park only has a total land area of about 285,000 sq ft.........

Actually, Wild Falcon is referring to the GFA. The GFA is about 58,000 sqm.

The density should be calculated using plot size and GFA.

Where did you get that information? From my measurement of google satellite photos, Glendale Park only has a total land area of about 285,000 sq ft.........

Just to add, the plot size is estimated at 28,000 sq m. (from SLA tools)

Quote Originally Posted by gohsoonk

The density should be calculated using plot size and GFA.

Quote Originally Posted by gohsoonk

Just to add, the plot size is estimated at 28,000 sq m. (from SLA tools)
    According to Wild Falcon "u can build every unit on the actual land without airspace and every unit will still be 1200sq ft ". That's clearly referring to plot area and not GFA........

He is most likely wrong then.

According to Wild Falcon "u can build every unit on the actual land without airspace and every unit will still be 1200sq ft ". That's clearly referring to plot area and not GFA........

Sorry guys. My bad. I probably confused the GFA with the land area. But even with close to 300k sqft of land area and 400+ units, the 3-4 bedders with larger share value would still each own a decent size of land close to 800-900 sq ft each. And at current price <$800psf close to nature, FH and near future MRT, reasonably close to city and Jurong lake district, the downside is minimal. I will still consider this development.

Sorry guys. My bad. I probably confused the GFA with the land area. But even with close to 300k sqft of land area and 400+ units, the 3-4 bedders with larger share value would still each own a decent size of land close to 800-900 sq ft each. And at current price <$800psf close to nature, FH and near future MRT, reasonably close to city and Jurong lake district, the downside is minimal. I will still consider this development.
    Hi Wild Falcon,

Do you have the land area of the development, Merawoods? Is it a good buy then?

And at current price <$800psf close to nature, FH and near future MRT, reasonably close to city and Jurong lake district, the downside is minimal. I will still consider this development.
    I agree, it is a good buy if it's under $800 psf. But here's a dirty secret about Glendale Park you guys might need to know; for units marketed with "high ceiling", be warn that it is considered two storey in terms of strata area. For example a high ceiling unit with a strata area of 1507sq ft, will have about 172 sq feet of vertical void included in that 1507 sq feet..........

I agree, it is a good buy if it's under $800 psf. But here's a dirty secret about Glendale Park you guys might need to know; for units marketed with "high ceiling", be warn that it is considered two storey in terms of strata area. For example a high ceiling unit with a strata area of 1507sq ft, will have about 172 sq feet of vertical void included in that 1507 sq feet..........
    The top floor of a lot of condos are like that, you pay for "air-space" that you need to pay money to convert into a useable loft space.
    Add on that, top floors get the brunt of leakage problems.

Yup. I notice for Glendale Park, the top floor always fetch the lowest PSF because the 10th floor or 9th floor are all double volume ceiling loft units (and some come with 200sq ft of airspace + 300 sq ft of balcony). The low PSF of such units are quite misleading. I think the standard units (8th floor and below) are fetching much higher PSF than those loft units. I usually avoid the top floor for most development due to one bad experience previously. It's usually much hotter and bear the brunt of leakage problems. In short, avoid Glendale Park top floor units. I don't mind paying for PES because I can still do some gardening but airspace? No thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by sfwoo
    The top floor of a lot of condos are like that, you pay for "air-space" that you need to pay money to convert into a useable loft space.
    Add on that, top floors get the brunt of leakage problems.

Default Hillview Avenue vs Dairy Farm Road

The entrance to Mindef is closed during weekends, at night and in the morning which means it becomes a dead end road. Residents can still get into their condos.
    When KTL is removed. Hillview Avenue will join with Dairy Farm Road at the northern side of the GP. I noted that the space is already there

Prime condo land along that WHOLE LONG belt.... slowly to be released. Why hurry. LH or FH don't matter as long as price is right.

You mean the KTM land? It's quite narrow... please don't build condos or shopping mall...

I hope it will be preserved as a rail trail I think our authorities should consider the softer part of development. Building more condos and concrete malls is not going to improve Singaporeans quality of life. After all, money is not everything. At some point, the law of diminishing return will set in. While releasing some condo/shopping land will probably bring up the property value in the area, but is that what the residents in the vicinity want?

Quote Originally Posted by cashrich
    Prime condo land along that WHOLE LONG belt.... slowly to be released. Why hurry. LH or FH don't matter as long as price is right.

no problem right? The Linear Boat from Woodlands to Tanjong Pagar...

If one boat is not enough.. can have taller or shorter boats.. all boats... hahah

Quote Originally Posted by harvard
    Currently, I am renting a unit in Glendale Park, enjoying the stay here but still, I'm moving on once tenancy expires.

Pros: This is a great place to be in, great neighbours, good management, friendly guards and cleaners and nice condo layout, serene and warm. My unit faces greenery, it's really one big patch of open green space, simply love it! Traffic wise, my hubby didn't have big complaints although traffic moves slowly (not really a jam) during peak hours.
    Yes, those condos facing the Hillview Ave is facing a big patch of open green, but it could be possible one day, some new condos will sprout up in this open green ? Any comment ?

Recently there is a lot of "work" along the patch of green green grass. Apparently, some large "wells" are being constructed there to tap the water running down from the hills. In short, I doubt the land can be auctioned out that soon.

If you look at the masterplan, the plot opposite the Hillington Green I believe is for landed development and some education institution. So I guess, views will remain unblocked for the Hillvistas and the like. A very small plot opposite Glendale Park is a mixed development with both shops and high rise residential with plot ratio of 2.8. Not sure if the plans have been changed in view of the "wells" springing up. I've called up PUB and they mentioned those "wells" will be filled up and the green patch will be restored to former greenery glory once completed.

So in short, the government can develop any plot of green green land No guarantee will be beautiful views forever one.... anywhere. But looking across the greenery sometimes is really therapeutic.

Quote Originally Posted by someone
    Yes, those condos facing the Hillview Ave is facing a big patch of open green, but it could be possible one day, some new condos will sprout up in this open green ? Any comment ?

Recently there is a lot of "work" along the patch of green green grass. Apparently, some large "wells" are being constructed there to tap the water running down from the hills. In short, I doubt the land can be auctioned out that soon.

If you look at the masterplan, the plot opposite the Hillington Green I believe is for landed development and some education institution. So I guess, views will remain unblocked for the Hillvistas and the like. A very small plot opposite Glendale Park is a mixed development with both shops and high rise residential with plot ratio of 2.8. Not sure if the plans have been changed in view of the "wells" springing up. I've called up PUB and they mentioned those "wells" will be filled up and the green patch will be restored to former greenery glory once completed.

So in short, the government can develop any plot of green green land No guarantee will be beautiful views forever one.... anywhere. But looking across the greenery sometimes is really therapeutic.
    hahah.... yes.. even parks can be redeveloped... u know?
    one thing for sure... the only green that cannot be redeveloped are the nature reserve and reserviours.

Glendale Park or Hillview Park should i buy for own stay? Why these two properties seemed so cheap in price taking into consideration that its a FH and next to future MRT? Its because of the rental price dropped due to construction and congested traffic? I'm new in the place. Please advise.