Thread: Why singles need more help with housing

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Why singles need more help with housing

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/...ry_471802.html

Dec 30, 2009

Why singles need more help with housing

I REFER to last Wednesday's letter, 'HDB clears the air: Singles do get benefits'. How will current HDB 'benefits' help singles get their first affordable flat, when even married couples who benefit from pro-family policies have problems buying an affordable flat due to rising costs?

Prices of resale flats have increased by at least 30 to 100 per cent (depending on flat location and flat size) since 2004, but the grant to singles remains $11,000. Is this stationary amount enough to offset ever-increasing prices?

Forming a family with parents to get a subsidised new flat is often not an option as many factors restrict this. For example, ageing parents may not be willing to move to a new environment, or a smaller flat. Also, the chance of getting a flat this way is only 5 per cent since 95 per cent of chances go to married couples.

If the subsidy on a new two-room flat included in the selling price is for a family of two, I am sure all singles would be willing to pay $11,000 (the grant they get on a resale flat) on top of the selling price.

Have HDB's pro-family policies really worked in encouraging marriage and having children? Is it not time to re-examine these policies and make changes to ensure that all citizens share the fruits of growth?

Lua Eng Chuan

I don't know how the gahmen can be PRO-FAMILY yet pro-singles at the same time. It's either one or the other.

If everyone enjoys some subsidy then there is no PRO anything.

(btw am speaking as a single who give up on gahmen housing go direct to private)

I am a single who bought a mickey mouse unit....

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    I am a single who bought a mickey mouse unit....
    Erm.. you sold off your Mezzo?
    BE CENTRED BY ALL AT THE FRINGE OF THE CITY @

One for even days, the other for odd days.