Thread: Why is Watten Estate Area considered PRIME?

Default Why is Watten Estate Area considered PRIME?

Pls share your view on this topic.

Merry Christmas to all Property Lovers

What is new in this estate, is the MRT coming out at Hwa Chong Inst in 2015.
    The rest pretty NO CHANGE.....

Because it is in District 11, one of singapore prime district and along Bukit Timah Road, Lots of good schools and institutes there and travelling from Watten to the city is relative near, this location is quite well sought after.
    Register yourself for all new project info and updates in Singapore
    www.propertylaunch.sg

Quote Originally Posted by Sinclone
    Because it is in District 11, one of singapore prime district and along Bukit Timah Road, Lots of good schools and institutes there and travelling from Watten to the city is relative near, this location is quite well sought after.
    correction, it is along Dunearn Road. Bukit Timah Rd is the parallel road on the other side of the canal.

And maybe because Singapore richest man, Ng family also stays at Watten too....

Indeed living at Watten with the location very near town/PIE, very good schools, ample amenities, rich greeneries, future MRT and floods (rarely) and high PSF made it prime....

I find WAtten is the first and foremost group of property area all the way till Upper Bukti Timah. To me Maplewoods etc fare weaker in terms of location. The properties betw Newton and Watten has much less attractions and sparse amenities....as compared to WAtten estate.

I was told in early 70s and 80s, Watten estate units were largely bought by Indonesians. It was developed generally earlier than the rest of the entire Bukit Timah area....

I thought the new Starbuck at Coronation plaza is really cool for location and big size (2 storey somemore) !!!

I hope my family can stay Watten some day

Quote Originally Posted by Latio
    And maybe because Singapore richest man, Ng family also stays at Watten too....

Indeed living at Watten with the location very near town/PIE, very good schools, ample amenities, rich greeneries, future MRT and floods (rarely) and high PSF made it prime....

I find WAtten is the first and foremost group of property area all the way till Upper Bukti Timah. To me Maplewoods etc fare weaker in terms of location. The properties betw Newton and Watten has much less attractions and sparse amenities....as compared to WAtten estate.

I was told in early 70s and 80s, Watten estate units were largely bought by Indonesians. It was developed generally earlier than the rest of the entire Bukit Timah area....

I thought the new Starbuck at Coronation plaza is really cool for location and big size (2 storey somemore) !!!

I hope my family can stay Watten some day
    according to a friend who lives there for many many years .. it was a swamp , pigs sty area many years ago .. and his dad bought it really cheap ..

and with the canal built ..improved drainage ( or not) ..the area slowly gained popularity ..

is it better compared to the rest , due to the fact that its near a junction, turning around to Bkt timah is easy , shopping acrss the road , makan at Adam's ..

Mr Ng's land is near the road .. by right not ideal ... but he amassed hige land and on high ground .. making it 'good' ..

Hi Proud Owner, really appreciates your sharing....

And Watten Estate Condo is by Mr Ng many yrs ago.
    As per what you said, this Condo is on a hill too!
    Maybe, who knows, this could be Mr Ng's first few projects......

Nowadays, Singapore has very limited address with the "Hill".........."Watten Hills Estate...."

Merry Christmas !

Latio car is nice to drive with its price and quality.....

And I am not a car agent!

IF anyone of you is interested in WattenHill Condo, I have a nice townhouse unit for Rent/Sales. Fully renovated with very nice unblock view. Please visit my website for more details.
    Thanks.

That entire stretch of Bukit Timah from Watten down to Linden to Leedon to Sixth Ave to Astrid Park to Binjal Park to King Albert Park has the highest concentration of GCBs which are considered the epitome of success in Singapore. These GCBs are easily in the > $20 million league. If that is not "prime", then what is "prime"? A lot of people just view "prime" in a shallow manner, i.e. near city = prime. So if you stay in a 300sq ft doghouse in Orchard = prime? There are certain areas which are not exactly beside the city but are "prime" because of their exclusivity and spaciousness.

Very Well said !

Thanks!

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Even a doghouse in Orchard also considered "prime" because in D9-D11 mah. The stretch of Bukit Timah you mentioned in D10, so also "prime" mah. But 1 thing for sure, a 5000 sqft property in Woodlands regardless of what also not considered "prime".
    I believe "Prime" is location first, regardless of any other criteria (thus we have CCR, RCR, OCR as delineated by URA and not other criteria mah).
    Obviously, there are also more "prime" and less "prime" areas, and usually the more "prime" are closer to Orchard and yet in private estate enclave and with lots of amenities nearby (not beside some HDB flats or slums or stretch of sleezy KTV lounges etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    That entire stretch of Bukit Timah from Watten down to Linden to Leedon to Sixth Ave to Astrid Park to Binjal Park to King Albert Park has the highest concentration of GCBs which are considered the epitome of success in Singapore. These GCBs are easily in the > $20 million league. If that is not "prime", then what is "prime"? A lot of people just view "prime" in a shallow manner, i.e. near city = prime. So if you stay in a 300sq ft doghouse in Orchard = prime? There are certain areas which are not exactly beside the city but are "prime" because of their exclusivity and spaciousness.

Default Quiet and beautiful location

Watten is a very good estate. 10 mins drive to town, walking distance to top schools, and when the MRT comes out there will also be good public transport option. The vicinity is quiet with lots of greenery and good restaurants.

You notice along bukit timah corridor the dunearn side has low rise developments and landed ppty, the bukit timah side as more mixed housing and commerical / shopping centers. I really like the Bukit Timah side as it is quieter and also less crowded feel. That is probably also why the mrt line is along bukit timah side as opposed to dunear side.

It is really not that near to the city - probably 15 drive to the new downtown at Marina? The reason why it is prime is because of the exclusivity factor, high concentration of GCB, not crowded, lots of greenery and the "old money" is nearby etc etc. Of course there are new prime areas in the city, e.g. Shenton Way but these are the more flashy "new money" areas. Old money areas really are usually more low profile. From my observation, those who want to stay in the city are usually the flashy PMETs and PMETs no matter what don't get very rich. They are at best the upper middle class buying condos in the $2-3 million range - that is why condo sizes are getting small in the city to cater to the small "PMET" budget. The truly wealthy men are the entrepreuners and "tow kay" who set up their own business or SMEs. These SME factories are usually located in quite ulu location in Woodlands or Jurong or whatever. Therefore, these truly wealthy are not keen to stay in Shenton Way. They would rather stay in Bukit Timah/Dunearn/Holland/Cashew that gives them space and exclusivity and still relatively close to their workplace in the outskirts. Just my 2 cents. In short, its an area when the low profile rich men stay as their PRIMARY residence for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Localite
    Watten is a very good estate. 10 mins drive to town, walking distance to top schools, and when the MRT comes out there will also be good public transport option. The vicinity is quiet with lots of greenery and good restaurants.

You notice along bukit timah corridor the dunearn side has low rise developments and landed ppty, the bukit timah side as more mixed housing and commerical / shopping centers. I really like the Bukit Timah side as it is quieter and also less crowded feel. That is probably also why the mrt line is along bukit timah side as opposed to dunear side.

And another factor to consider when investing in Bukit Timah stretch is the low plot ratio and height restrictions. Most of the freehold condos there are restricted to 10 storeys or below which somehow "cap" the prices in the area. In short, there are no high floor superb views condos that can bring up the PSF of the condos there and stir up emotions and frantic buying. There are also very strict redevelopment rules for the GCBs - unlike say Meyer area when you have 1-2 landed housing converting to high-rise condos and owners getting a windfall. Considering Singaporeans obsession with high-rise skyscrapers with city view, this is a minus point. But from an owners occupier view, it is a good point as it means the area will always remain low density, spacious and rather exclusive. It is highly unlikely the govt will start converting the nature reserves nearby into residential area. And you won't suddenly have thousands of new neighbours spoiling your neighbourhood as your neighbour start converting his small detached house to 100 unit condo

Thank you so much for sharing !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    And another factor to consider when investing in Bukit Timah stretch is the low plot ratio and height restrictions. Most of the freehold condos there are restricted to 10 storeys or below which somehow "cap" the prices in the area. In short, there are no high floor superb views condos that can bring up the PSF of the condos there and stir up emotions and frantic buying. There are also very strict redevelopment rules for the GCBs - unlike say Meyer area when you have 1-2 landed housing converting to high-rise condos and owners getting a windfall. Considering Singaporeans obsession with high-rise skyscrapers with city view, this is a minus point. But from an owners occupier view, it is a good point as it means the area will always remain low density, spacious and rather exclusive. It is highly unlikely the govt will start converting the nature reserves nearby into residential area. And you won't suddenly have thousands of new neighbours spoiling your neighbourhood as your neighbour start converting his small detached house to 100 unit condo
    WF,

Your reading of this area is absolutely spot on. If I may add, I doubt there will be much high rise around here, except for Lutheran Twrs. The reason being there are too many VIPs staying here at the GCBs, locals and foreigners. And its exactly for those reasons you listed above that I chose to stay here, besides the proximity to NYPS......it also helps that I have round the clock patrolling by Nepalese and not Chinese Security Guards

Actually Mountbatten is also another nice enclave to live in. I was deciding between that area and the holland area but decided the proximity to schools was my priority. Traffic along Bukit Timah/ Dunearn is mad but one can always use the side roads like Kings, Blemont, Coronation (leading to holland rd) as escape route.
    Last edited by HP65; 29-03-10 at 11:36.

Wow, Watten Estate area is near 3 MRTs:

1. Botanic Garden MRT (CC,DT)
    2. Farrer Rd MRT (CC)
    3. Tan Kah Kee MRT (est 21025)

See Beh Gilat leh...

Very Strategic; prime, serene, good schools, amenities and yet superbly connected...

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Why gilat to have 3 BUT all have to walk so far? I just need 1 that I can reach by crossing the road will be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Latio
    Wow, Watten Estate area is near 3 MRTs:

1. Botanic Garden MRT (CC,DT)
    2. Farrer Rd MRT (CC)
    3. Tan Kah Kee MRT (est 21025)

See Beh Gilat leh...

Very Strategic; prime, serene, good schools, amenities and yet superbly connected...

As MR B kena banned into this forum.. he has requested me to help him to post this "record breaking" psf for Watten Hill

WATTEN HILL WATTEN ESTATE ROAD Condominium 3,500,000 2,626 Strata 1,333 Apr-13