Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Need Advices from all experts here!!

went into salary.sg forums as jlrx mentioned - sheesh seems like most singaporeans in their mid 30s have at least 500k cash and 1m in equity on property/stocks.

well done fellow singaporeans!

Reporter is offline F01 N54 Sheer Driving Pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    Victoria School Class of 1990 (graduating). You?
    Alumni? Is there one?..haha.. anyway, I dont think anyone remembers me.. and I don't really remember anyone too.
    ... 1984 ... 6 years your senior
    ... 1986 ...
    ... OVA ...

You at 36 years old is a retiree with $6M?
    Cool!

You may be right on the MM unit. But to me, the major element that drives up the demand on MM units is its entry level into property investment - the low quantum. Whether it has a sustainable demand after the "investment" hype is over, is still unknown.

the marketable segment for MM unit is mainly young couples (and it is already too small for 2 adults), single adult, and rental for young professionals.
    Whether this segment of ppl can provide enough support for the MM unit is really unknown. And I think is not a good idea to add this "gamble" element to long term investment.

Quote Originally Posted by samsara
    Societal values are changing radically in the last couple of decades. The prevalence of homo***uality and the increasing self-centredness of people have led to more and more highly-educated couples who put off or even avoid procreation. The emphasis today is on enjoyment and the sensual pleasures. It is not longer on moral values, filial piety and community contributions.

This is one of the key reasons developers have had the opportunity to even conjure the MM unit model. They realise it is all about self today. Most youngsters do not like living in a multi-generational environment because of the drive towards independence and freedom. The value system from the west has permeated the social fabric in many young societies (ours included) through education (overseas studies) and the media (movies, advertisements, etc).

The mainstay of traditional eastern (usually confucian) value systems is slowly being broken down as schools start to focus on academia and throw out ethics and morality lessons to free up more time for math and science. Parents tell their children to be number one in everything they do, even at the expense of others. I have seen a mother lambast her primary school daughter for being stupid in giving way to other passengers while boarding the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by gfoo
    how modest are your salaries? it can be rather subjective

if you bought that devt right opp boon tong kee mktd by huttons, then be very careful of being psychoed that the area is as prime as they say it is - it cannot be compared to the river valley stretch across the road

while it prob won't go to below what you paid for it, personally i would take profit and save your bullets for the next cycle.

if you can more than comfortably afford repayments wo batting an eyelid, keep it. you are far better off than thos paying 1600 for balestier

Hi gfoo,

Agree that this area is not as prime as other parts of River Valley. I like to ask on behalf of someone I know. Do you think that it was a good buy for early investors of RV Suites when he paid 1350psf at launch around Nov/Dec 2008 ?

Would more projects like Latitude on the same side of the road, and the yet-to-be launch RV Residence (opposite) increase the psf of RV Suites?

Hope to also hear from other experts in River Valley. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gfoo
    went into salary.sg forums as jlrx mentioned - sheesh seems like most singaporeans in their mid 30s have at least 500k cash and 1m in equity on property/stocks.

well done fellow singaporeans!
    Not sure how much you can trust this for accurate data.

Are results from a scientific poll, or just people boasting on an online forum?
    I'm sure that is because only those that have made it will post, or pretend they have. Those that haven't probably keep quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by samsara

The mainstay of traditional eastern (usually confucian) value systems is slowly being broken down as schools start to focus on academia and throw out ethics and morality lessons to free up more time for math and science. Parents tell their children to be number one in everything they do, even at the expense of others. I have seen a mother lambast her primary school daughter for being stupid in giving way to other passengers while boarding the bus.
    This is simply sad and heading towards the cantonese expression "oneself only look after ownself"

As for MM units, I have noticed that expats usully prefer large units. This is true for even single expats. This is because they have lots of furniture and one room must be a study or guest room. I had a 1400sqft unit and they compliant lounge too small for their furniture.

Take a 1msgd unit for 700sqft apartment (1 MBR and 1 Study). Just nice for one person + girlfriend or spouse (local occupants). If you rent it out, perhaps you can get $3k. When the family comes along, 1 additional maid and child will make the unit too small.

Is this arrangement better than staying with parents or in-laws? What is the eventual demand for these MM units?