Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which property will you invest in if you have $600k?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Way_I_See_It
    Your parents only need to pay $1-$1.50 for meal eating outside in 1980. Today, you need to pay at least $4 to $5.50. Inflation Inflation. Cannot compare 1980$ vs 2009$ like that.
    Still, it's not in the same exponential degree of growth. 4x vs > 10x.

Quote Originally Posted by Property_Owner
    This method is for the weak hearts. For property you will need to cash out to see your profit. But people sell for reasons.

Let me use this example.

The Sail #58-01

Launch price 978psf
    1st transaction = 1140psf July 05 ( Why 1st owner sell so early?)
    2nd transaction = 2600psf June 07 (2nd owner also sell too early, #36-01 sold 2668psf Oct 07, if he were to hold, my guess he will hit 3000psf if #36-01 can sell 2668psf)
    3rd transaction = 1750psf Jan 09 ( Also sell too early, maybe panic at that time but doesn't he knows market will recover)
    4th transaction = 2280psf Aug 09 ( another that sells too early too, #53-01 just lodged 2365psf, can he achieve higher if he had wait for #53-01 to sell first?)

Next transaction = What price will he sell? Peak of Sail stack 1 is 2820psf. Will he sell @ this price of wait till MBS launch then sells above 3K? Or end up making a loss? Let's wait to see the transaction.

Only time will tell.
    Actually, this whole property market is not good for the heart at all.

Imagine the Margate Road original owner who sold the bungalow in 1979 for $195,000 and realises that it was worth $4.8 million in 2006 (and now probably much more). Is that good for the heart?

Or the Eu Yan Sang family, who sold their Eucliffe Castle in Hong Kong's Repulse Bay for a price that is worth only one apartment today? Is that good for the heart?

That's why I find this whole property game very stressful.

If I buy and then the market crashes, it's not good for the heart.

If I sell and then the market shoots up, it's also not good for the heart.

However, if I had stayed out of the market totally, I would end up like one of those who missed the boat, writing complaint letters to the Straits Times forum and hoping that the market will crash. It's also not good for the heart.

Poor heart ...

conclusion : activate heart bypass

The Sail #58-01

Launch price 978psf
    1st transaction = 1140psf July 05 ( Why 1st owner sell so early?)
    2nd transaction = 2600psf June 07 (2nd owner also sell too early, #36-01 sold 2668psf Oct 07, if he were to hold, my guess he will hit 3000psf if #36-01 can sell 2668psf)
    3rd transaction = 1750psf Jan 09 ( Also sell too early, maybe panic at that time but doesn't he knows market will recover)
    4th transaction = 2280psf Aug 09 ( another that sells too early too, #53-01 just lodged 2365psf, can he achieve higher if he had wait for #53-01 to sell first?)

Next transaction = What price will he sell? Peak of Sail stack 1 is 2820psf. Will he sell @ this price of wait till MBS launch then sells above 3K? Or end up making a loss? Let's wait to see the transaction.

Only time will tell.
    Why would someone buy at 2600psf and then sell at 1750psf? Did you think he needed the cash (for what) or he thought it would go down further.

But then again, it takes guts to buy in Jan 09, right?

Quote Originally Posted by andy
    Why would someone buy at 2600psf and then sell at 1750psf? Did you think he needed the cash (for what) or he thought it would go down further.

But then again, it takes guts to buy in Jan 09, right?
    January 2009 was a very bleak period when everything was going down in free fall.

I didn't even dare come into this forum (partially also because last time there were many "unregistered" users cheering the downfall of the market, making this forum very unfriendly). Unlike today when most registered users here are fellow investors, hence whether the market goes up or down, we can come here to share our joy or misery.

Furthermore, I think The Sail is very volatile. Only those who have a strong heart, like Property_Owner, dare to play this project (and some more he bought 5 units!!! )

Quote Originally Posted by forcez5
    conclusion : activate heart bypass
    This property market's ups and downs may one day cause me to go for "heart bypass".

i think property_owner bought 5 units of Reflections, remember him saying that somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by jlrx
    January 2009 was a very bleak period when everything was going down in free fall.

I didn't even dare come into this forum (partially also because last time there were many "unregistered" users cheering the downfall of the market, making this forum very unfriendly). Unlike today when most registered users here are fellow investors, hence whether the market goes up or down, we can come here to share our joy or misery.

Furthermore, I think The Sail is very volatile. Only those who have a strong heart, like Property_Owner, dare to play this project (and some more he bought 5 units!!! )

This property market's ups and downs may one day cause me to go for "heart bypass".

Orchard Boulevard #43-05
    Tenure= 99 Yrs From 13/03/2006
    2852sqft,
    4099psf, $11.69m
    11 Sep 09

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    i think property_owner bought 5 units of Reflections, remember him saying that somewhere...

Only 2 units pal.

Orchard Boulevard #43-05
    2852sqft,
    4099psf, $11.69m
    11 Sep 09
    How are you able to check the floor area of this unit?

I tried to check the caveat but they didn't submit the floor area, very frustrating ...

I tried to check the caveat but they didn't submit the floor area, very frustrating ...
    X * Y = Z
    X = Z/Y

Reporter is offline F01 N54 Sheer Driving Pleasure

Orchard Boulevard #43-05
    2852sqft,
    4099psf, $11.69m
    11 Sep 09
    Thanks for your tips the other day.
    I am executing my D9 plan later today.

Quote Originally Posted by URA
    Private Residential Units Sold in the Month of August 2009

Project Name .............. Locality . Units Sold To Date . Units Sold In Month . Highest $psf . Median $psf . Lowest $psf
    The Orchard Residences . CCR ........ 150 .......................... 3 ................................ 4,099 ............ 3,499 ............ 2,780

huh? how can a caveat be submitted without the floor area? even URA shows the 2852sq ft, don't even need Realis.

THE ORCHARD RESIDENCES ORCHARD BOULEVARD Apartment 11,693,200 2,852 Strata 4,099 Sep-09

Quote Originally Posted by Reporter
    Cool, please update us what you bought. Just dun buy vida lavida

oh yeah, hope he is not buying that so called under 2100psf Vida on "offer".

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    oh yeah, hope he is not buying that so called under 2100psf Vida on "offer".
    Nil Vida Lavida Lah.

... but I ain't saying that's bad ...

Nil Vida Lavida Lah.

... but I ain't saying that's bad ...
    Huh. Orchard Residences?

To Property_Owner,

Thanks So Much for the info!

But as usual your inbox is full so cannot send my thank you message.

huh? how can a caveat be submitted without the floor area? even URA shows the 2852sq ft, don't even need Realis.

THE ORCHARD RESIDENCES ORCHARD BOULEVARD Apartment 11,693,200 2,852 Strata 4,099 Sep-09
    Thanks for your info too ...

Alamak! This Realink is really terrible! I pay them some more and they don't even show the floor area!

wah this realink really so terrible. is it the cheaper form of Realis but not by URA? blacklist them!

Thanks for your info too ...

Alamak! This Realink is really terrible! I pay them some more and they don't even show the floor area!

I superimposed the average $psf of Sail from 1 year ago with the STI. There seems to be a perfect correlation in terms of price swings with very minimum lag

If that is true, isn't it better to put money in the STI since you can sell it alot faster than Sail?

Of course if Sail is 100% rentable, the capital layout is only 20%. However if the capital depreciation is massive and you cannot rent then the small time investor is in trouble, right?

Huh. Orchard Residences?
    ... no lah ... don't have your wealth to buy TOR leh ... will disclose discreetly next time ...

pros and cons i guess. 1 thing is for sure, ppty buyer for Sail has to have at least a certain minimum amount of few hundred k to few million AT LEAST. "1 lot" of the sail few hundred k, 1 lot of sti in tens of ks only. that's why you are right, if too small time investor, better off investing in sti.

Sail would have given 5 times leverage while if one takes up margin trading also at most 3 times leverage for sti. Of course your point about selling is true too, for the higher leveraged returns, its harder to sell and more for longer term.

that said, the sti is now sputtering, is the sail still correlated?

I superimposed the average $psf of Sail from 1 year ago with the STI. There seems to be a perfect correlation in terms of price swings with very minimum lag

If that is true, isn't it better to put money in the STI since you can sell it alot faster than Sail?

Of course if Sail is 100% rentable, the capital layout is only 20%. However if the capital depreciation is massive and you cannot rent then the small time investor is in trouble, right?

wah this realink really so terrible. is it the cheaper form of Realis but not by URA? blacklist them!
    Yes. It's the one run by SISV. I guess that's the difference between $1800 per year vs $438 per year.

pros and cons i guess. 1 thing is for sure, ppty buyer for Sail has to have at least a certain minimum amount of few hundred k to few million AT LEAST. "1 lot" of the sail few hundred k, 1 lot of sti in tens of ks only. that's why you are right, if too small time investor, better off investing in sti.

Sail would have given 5 times leverage while if one takes up margin trading also at most 3 times leverage for sti. Of course your point about selling is true too, for the higher leveraged returns, its harder to sell and more for longer term.

that said, the sti is now sputtering, is the sail still correlated?
    Yes the Sail is hovering between $1600 and $2800 depending on unit level but if you take the average $psf it is more or less stagnant since Jun09.

If interest rate is low than it is better to go for leverage investment, right?

Anyone knows what is the vacancy rate for property like Sail? Is it very rentable?

Wow ... this forum so exciting!!!

Got "real-time" D9 plan execution.

But ... you are "Reporter" ... I thought you are only supposed to "report?

Which kind of properties would you rather invest from these data below?

58 Floor Sail
    1st transaction = 1140psf July 05
    2nd transaction = 2600psf June 07
    3rd transaction = 1748psf Jan 09
    4th transaction = 2280psf Aug 09

23Floor NS
    1st transaction= 884psf Nov 04
    2nd transaction=1454psf May 07
    3rd transaction=1373psf May 09

Your reasons?

problem is, interest rate is low good to go for leverage, if interest rate goes up high, can't get out of the high leverage investment.

So, always need to keep a cash buffer in case something goes wrong but of course, in that case, leverage effects are decreased.

Yes the Sail is hovering between $1600 and $2800 depending on unit level but if you take the average $psf it is more or less stagnant since Jun09.

If interest rate is low than it is better to go for leverage investment, right?

Anyone knows what is the vacancy rate for property like Sail? Is it very rentable?

problem is, interest rate is low good to go for leverage, if interest rate goes up high, can't get out of the high leverage investment.

So, always need to keep a cash buffer in case something goes wrong but of course, in that case, leverage effects are decreased.
    But if interest rate head north, that mean your unit should have capital gain! Time to cash out.

well, low interest rate has lasted so long that someone who bought at 1200psf earlier or someone who bought at 1600psf now also bought on low interest rate. its easy for the 1200psf guy to take the capital gain and cash out but not necessarily so for the 1600psf guy right?

But if interest rate head north, that mean your unit should have capital gain! Time to cash out.

well, low interest rate has lasted so long that someone who bought at 1200psf earlier or someone who bought at 1600psf now also bought on low interest rate. its easy for the 1200psf guy to take the capital gain and cash out but not necessarily so for the 1600psf guy right?
    it is relative lor...
    end of day make more or make less is better than never make..