Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What would you do with sgd$6million ?

Quote Originally Posted by new2mondrian
    haha... similar to my strategy. I used to like Citysprings and FSL... but these days have gotten more conservative and look for SPH, SP Ausnet, Starhub (which tanked after the EPL saga), UOB, DBS and ST Engrg.
    Yes.. Get paid to wait for capital appreciation like property.

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    Yes.. Get paid to wait for capital appreciation like property.
    actually that's what i like about equities (blue chips) and index funds. There is diversification across various sectors, and there is ease of entry/exit. Properties can be a money sucking pit for years to come, eg landed properties require regular upkeep (roofing, gardening, pest extermination, water seepage, problems with retaining walls... every big and small thing also out of own pocket); condos have the monthly maintenance; not to mention the yearly property taxes and even more taxes on rental income; and the hefty stamp duties upon purchase and another hefty agent fees upon sale and rental. Sometimes after accounting for all these, the capital gain (if any) is really paltry.

AUD and NZD deposits are good... too bad i missed the boat when both currencies tanked against SGD earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by new2mondrian
    actually that's what i like about equities (blue chips) and index funds. There is diversification across various sectors, and there is ease of entry/exit. Properties can be a money sucking pit for years to come, eg landed properties require regular upkeep (roofing, gardening, pest extermination, water seepage, problems with retaining walls... every big and small thing also out of own pocket); condos have the monthly maintenance; not to mention the yearly property taxes and even more taxes on rental income; and the hefty stamp duties upon purchase and another hefty agent fees upon sale and rental. Sometimes after accounting for all these, the capital gain (if any) is really paltry.

AUD and NZD deposits are good... too bad i missed the boat when both currencies tanked against SGD earlier this year.
    It is a well known fact that only about 10% will make money in equities in the long run. On the other hand majority will end up making money in properties in the long run despite all the headaches.