Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Landed homes the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    y foreigners can buy landed so easily!!!!!!!!!!

no wonder landed prices rise so fast and furious!!!

foreigner took my only priviledge away!
    i think sentosa is the only LANDED that foreigners can just buy ...

as for other landed over mainland .. be it 99,999 or FH ...there are criterias that need to be met ..

also Clustered housing are categorised as Landed, most are strata status, like condo.... so the actual number of REAL LANDED purchased can be a little distorted

y foreigners can buy landed so easily!!!!!!!!!!

no wonder landed prices rise so fast and furious!!!

foreigner took my only priviledge away!
    You still have a privilege. Citizens can buy unlimited number of landed properties and rent them out, but foreigners and permanent residents can buy only one landed property for self-stay.

Therefore to exercise you citizenship privilege, you must buy as many landed properties as possible.

By the way, D15 especially Katong is getting very hot. Look at the price! (Even if it'd been rebuilt I don't see how the cost can come to $4 million)

Quote Originally Posted by jlrx

By the way, D15 especially Katong is getting very hot. Look at the price! (Even if it'd been rebuilt I don't see how the cost can come to $4 million)

Not surprising. Almost every type of private housing doubled in value from 2006 to 2010.

The surprising thing is it actually fell a little during the Great Financial Crisis and then shot its way back up to breach the 2007 peak again. This is a phenomenal that happened in HK,Singapore,China,Australia(but not in Europe or US).

Does seem to be a confluence of many factors that are pushing Asian properties into the forefront :-
    1) Perceived Safe Haven for money that are not actively managed
    2) Stocks too risky and mentally stressing
    3) Low interest rate
    4) Potential depreciation of USD/Euro against Asian Currencies
    5) Low/No Estate duty taxes and income taxes and capital gain taxes compared to the West
    6) Continued diversification of rich's money from USD/Euro into Asian currencies.

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    Does seem to be a confluence of many factors that are pushing Asian properties into the forefront :-
    1) Perceived Safe Haven for money that are not actively managed
    2) Stocks too risky and mentally stressing
    3) Low interest rate
    4) Potential depreciation of USD/Euro against Asian Currencies
    5) Low/No Estate duty taxes and income taxes and capital gain taxes compared to the West
    6) Continued diversification of rich's money from USD/Euro into Asian currencies.
    The answer can be found in today's Business Times.

Business Times, 12 Aug 2010
    The world is facing a serious currency crisis

Washington must take the US dollar decline far more seriously than it seems to be doing

By ANTHONY ROWLEY
    TOKYO CORRESPONDENT

Volatility in currency markets is nothing new, but what is different this time is that what have come to be regarded in recent decades as the 'rules of the game' appear to have been discarded - and this is scary.

Japan is alarmed at the apparent end of the ancien regime in currencies, which allowed it to export its way out of trouble and it will be forced eventually into further monetary easing as the 'fight to the bottom' among leading currencies continues. As the US dollar continues to decline against the euro too, Europe will need to ease while China will have to fight to keep the yuan from appreciating. Other Asian economies will also face upward pressure on their currencies, forcing them into unwanted easing and inflation, now that the rules of the game have changed.
    Some people here are still worried about whether the property market will crash.

I'm more worried about whether the cash in my bank will become worthless tomorrow.

“The modern banking process manufactures currency out of nothing.”.
    - Lord Josiah Stamp, Former Director of the Bank of England (1937)

“At the end fiat money returns to its inner value—zero.”
    - Voltaire (21 November 1694 – 30 May 1778)

Just missed a good property, a detached at Holland Grove. It was snapped up before I can make an offer. Understand the house with land size of 4,500 sq ft crossed at $6.3 million, i.e. 1,400 psf! Good landed still seem pretty HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moneyspinner
    Just missed a good property, a detached at Holland Grove. It was snapped up before I can make an offer. Understand the house with land size of 4,500 sq ft crossed at $6.3 million, i.e. 1,400 psf! Good landed still seem pretty HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    wah...u got big budget

btw, 99lh? u sure 1400psf? so high arr

Default 1400 psf not expensive

wah...u got big budget

btw, 99lh? u sure 1400psf? so high arr

Holland grove why 99LH, I think either FH or 999.

1400 psf considered good price if the house is in good condition.

House is freehold and less than 2 years old contemporary design. Very nice. Sold within 2 weeks on the market!

Looks like FH detached houses very much sought after! Can't find anything @ ~$1,400 psf liao in D10/11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jlrx
    You still have a privilege. Citizens can buy unlimited number of landed properties and rent them out, but foreigners and permanent residents can buy only one landed property for self-stay.

Therefore to exercise you citizenship privilege, you must buy as many landed properties as possible.

What do u guys think of D15 Katong area? Is it a good area, compared to D9/10/11? How are the prices in D15 in comparison to D9/10/11?

And what about D19 - how does it compare to D15?

Thanks

He is gone....

Hi, got a question here. If pricing about the same and location is comparable, would u rather get a fh condo apt or leasehold landed? I realised tat some leasehold landed pricing comparable to some freehold condo and some friends are saying tat at this kind of pricing for condo may as well buy 99yr landed.

Quote Originally Posted by Montaigne
    Hi, got a question here. If pricing about the same and location is comparable, would u rather get a fh condo apt or leasehold landed? I realised tat some leasehold landed pricing comparable to some freehold condo and some friends are saying tat at this kind of pricing for condo may as well buy 99yr landed.
    Its a matter of individual choice. I prefer a FH condo with all the facilities coz I do use those facilities. LH landed will depreciate to zero eventually so you will have to dispose it before it's become a liability! Also the cleaning up is your own responsibilty. Also must look at the location and neighbours. Just my thoughts.

I am no expert, just my own feelings about it.

For me, I would shy away from 99yr landed. A 99LH landed has limited opportunity to re-lease the land and re-activate its use. There are many of these 99yrLH landed in Pasir Ris and Sunbird Ave area. Though their prices have gone up a bit, it is not in tandem with the overall landed market. A comparison can be made with their FH neighbours and you'll know what I mean. (In these two locations, they mixed the FH and LH, some are even side by side)

A 99LH condo still has chance of rejuvenation thru an enbloc, in fact you can even make money out of it. But for a 99LH landed as it ages, the value weakens as there is no chance of enbloc.

FH condo should be the better choice. Landed has to be at least LH999 otherwise not worth it. The reason is that landed has the opportunity for reconstruction or A&A. The cost of such work can easily be in the region of 20-50% of the price of the land. It is not worth if if it is only for 99years (2 generations).

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    FH condo should be the better choice. Landed has to be at least LH999 otherwise not worth it. The reason is that landed has the opportunity for reconstruction or A&A. The cost of such work can easily be in the region of 20-50% of the price of the land. It is not worth if if it is only for 99years (2 generations).

ever wonder why in some landed estate .. one side of a street is FH and the other LH ?

i can only assume that after 99 yrs , the LH may be used for other purposes, like turning into condos, commercials malls, or anything ..

buying a FH at that borderline..is risky all the same .. your neighbour can become a 20 storey condo ...

Never buy FH landed properties next to a road, near HDB flats and in area with only a few houses. There is a risk of garment may buy back from you or take part of your garden for road widening.
    Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    ever wonder why in some landed estate .. one side of a street is FH and the other LH ?

i can only assume that after 99 yrs , the LH may be used for other purposes, like turning into condos, commercials malls, or anything ..

buying a FH at that borderline..is risky all the same .. your neighbour can become a 20 storey condo ...

In Pasir Ris Heights/Drive...etc it is even stranger, I have gone to see a 999LH corner terrace that shares a wall with a 99LH intermediate terrace. The other side of this corner terrace is a another 99LH corner terrace. This means the 999LH terrace is sandwiched between 2 99LH terraces.

I am told the owners of the 99LH terraces are trying to re-lease the land from the government. I really wonder what becomes of these properties when the lease is up, Garmen can't seize it back with a 999LH sitting in between can they?

the odd 999 unit will be in danger only when the other 2 and the rest of the 99 year leaseholds nearby are taken back and converted to other uses (including an amalgamated state land sale to become a condo).

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    In Pasir Ris Heights/Drive...etc it is even stranger, I have gone to see a 999LH corner terrace that shares a wall with a 99LH intermediate terrace. The other side of this corner terrace is a another 99LH corner terrace. This means the 999LH terrace is sandwiched between 2 99LH terraces.

I am told the owners of the 99LH terraces are trying to re-lease the land from the government. I really wonder what becomes of these properties when the lease is up, Garmen can't seize it back with a 999LH sitting in between can they?

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    the odd 999 unit will be in danger only when the other 2 and the rest of the 99 year leaseholds nearby are taken back and converted to other uses (including an amalgamated state land sale to become a condo).
    There are many of these 999LH terraces peppered amongst the 99LH in that area. In addition, the area is slated as a landed housing zone so I think chances of redevelopment into condo is slim.

However, I am very curious what will happen when their lease ends. Can one actually extend the lease by paying the government? And at what price? Anybody knows? Thanks!

so far no precedent i think but the holland/bukit timah MP sort of promised to look into it for those rifle range road near railway track land which has about 50 years of lease left. see if anything comes out of that.

yeah. if zone for landed its safe for now. but another 50 years, who knows. if sg becomes very dense and another mrt station pops up nearby, they could re-zone for high density residential.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    There are many of these 999LH terraces peppered amongst the 99LH in that area. In addition, the area is slated as a landed housing zone so I think chances of redevelopment into condo is slim.

However, I am very curious what will happen when their lease ends. Can one actually extend the lease by paying the government? And at what price? Anybody knows? Thanks!

A friend just bought a 10yr old 99lh 3 storey terrace at only 1mil, initially we are so envious cos we only got lobang for fh two bedder at this kind of Pricing. Now after reading your comment
    having second thoughts..

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    so far no precedent i think but the holland/bukit timah MP sort of promised to look into it for those rifle range road near railway track land which has about 50 years of lease left. see if anything comes out of that.

yeah. if zone for landed its safe for now. but another 50 years, who knows. if sg becomes very dense and another mrt station pops up nearby, they could re-zone for high density residential.
    Yep... you are right. Waiting to see what happens too (if anything)

Just wondering if there is any truth that an individual LH landowner can actually negotiate with the government to top-up the lease. How to determine the price? How does it all work?

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Never buy FH landed properties next to a road, near HDB flats and in area with only a few houses. There is a risk of garment may buy back from you or take part of your garden for road widening.
    yes, look at the plot ratio and the zone classification.

A friend just bought a 10yr old 99lh 3 storey terrace at only 1mil, initially we are so envious cos we only got lobang for fh two bedder at this kind of Pricing. Now after reading your comment
    having second thoughts..

he may not be wrong ..

if some HDBs can cost 700k ... whats 1 mio for LH landed ? its a better buy in my opinion

he may not be wrong ..

if some HDBs can cost 700k ... whats 1 mio for LH landed ? its a better buy in my opinion
    For HDB, lease will most probably be extended with even possibly a low premium charge for the extension. For landed houses, possibility of lease being extended is still in question especially if the houses are in a prime belt or one slated for high density living. In land-scarce Singapore, almost everywhere (except for green belt and GCB) is being slated for high density living.