Thread: Potential of the 2 Valleys of the River

Default Potential of the 2 Valleys of the River

All the focus are on mass mkt condos right now and the prime districts seems to be quiet.

I have been looking at River Valley D10 area (nathan, shanghai, mutiara side) to buy an apt for own stay. Interesting area as there's some nice food around the area and near to Great World City and really close to the 'happening' part of Orchard (Ion), compared to the RV area closer to Mohd Sultan. Spoke to a few agents recently and there were two agents who told me that the value of this D10 part of River Valley should go up, and currently is quite under valued compared to the neighbouring condos - eg those nearer to Kim Seng Road area (eg. Triullum), facing the other side of Great World City, next to the main road. And these condos are so much more expensive! Is it because of developer? The main road is pretty noisy as well so not sure why it is price at such a premium, and view...forget the view if you are facing GWC side.

They told me that the people here at Kim Seng area still have to make a big turn to go to Orchard, whereas this D10 RV area just need to make a left turn and will reach Orchard in a shorter time. I think technically it is true if one talks about navigation since Kim Seng Road is one way up. But I think they are both equally near to Orchard just looking at the map.

When I spoke to these agents, I did not specify the exact area I want, just told them around these precinct so as to get a more objective point of view.

Any comments from the forumers here on this area why the disparity in pricing? Is there really an upside in this part of RV?

Quote Originally Posted by tkc
    All the focus are on mass mkt condos right now and the prime districts seems to be quiet.

I have been looking at River Valley D10 area (nathan, shanghai, mutiara side) to buy an apt for own stay. Interesting area as there's some nice food around the area and near to Great World City and really close to the 'happening' part of Orchard (Ion), compared to the RV area closer to Mohd Sultan. Spoke to a few agents recently and there were two agents who told me that the value of this D10 part of River Valley should go up, and currently is quite under valued compared to the neighbouring condos - eg those nearer to Kim Seng Road area (eg. Triullum), facing the other side of Great World City, next to the main road. And these condos are so much more expensive! Is it because of developer? The main road is pretty noisy as well so not sure why it is price at such a premium, and view...forget the view if you are facing GWC side.

They told me that the people here at Kim Seng area still have to make a big turn to go to Orchard, whereas this D10 RV area just need to make a left turn and will reach Orchard in a shorter time. I think technically it is true if one talks about navigation since Kim Seng Road is one way up. But I think they are both equally near to Orchard just looking at the map.

When I spoke to these agents, I did not specify the exact area I want, just told them around these precinct so as to get a more objective point of view.

Any comments from the forumers here on this area why the disparity in pricing? Is there really an upside in this part of RV?
    basically its a singaporean mentality .. new is good .. new surrounding is good ..

the area you looking at unfortunately are surrounded by old prewars ... which house the good food .. attas singaporean wil think that area is dirty no class .. unlike cosmo to Zouk stretch ..

just go buy the area you like ..its cheaper ..its good .. i have lived there before and i cant agree more that it is better ...

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Just my guess of some possible reasons why Mohd Sultan & GWC part of River Valley transacted at higher price than Nathan side:
    - nearer MRT
    - near shopping mall(s)
    - Easier to get in & out of the condo estate (don't have to drive through some small narrow road)
    - Big roads to Orchard or else where (not small narrow lane roads)

Just a short distance of a 100m the price is so much different, a difference of 500psf! Is that possible? Usain Bolt can travel in between under 10 secs haha...The only one that matches Cosmo pricing is Latitude.

But the prewars (except Boon Tong Kee stretch) are making way for quite a few new developments.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    basically its a singaporean mentality .. new is good .. new surrounding is good ..

the area you looking at unfortunately are surrounded by old prewars ... which house the good food .. attas singaporean wil think that area is dirty no class .. unlike cosmo to Zouk stretch ..

just go buy the area you like ..its cheaper ..its good .. i have lived there before and i cant agree more that it is better ...

Which mrt is it near? Mohd Sultan & GWC don't have any mrt right? Or they coming up?

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Just my guess of some possible reasons why Mohd Sultan & GWC part of River Valley transacted at higher price than Nathan side:
    - nearer MRT
    - near shopping mall(s)
    - Easier to get in & out of the condo estate (don't have to drive through some small narrow road)
    - Big roads to Orchard or else where (not small narrow lane roads)

Which mrt is it near? Mohd Sultan & GWC don't have any mrt right? Or they coming up?
    Mohd sultan nearest is clarke quay

GWC is Orchard, maybe outram.

valley park end - Tiong bahru

That's quite a distance for those mrts to be considered 'near' Mohd Sultan and GWC right? Distance from GWC to Orchard mrt is about the same as distance from Nathan Road to Orchard mrt (abt 100m more compared to GWC), so wouldn't Nathan be 'near' mrt too? If you live on the Zouk side, Outram is the nearest but still quite a distance to walk.

Sorry maybe my assessment may be a bit different coz I am a newbie. Will be nice to hear all your thoughts.

But I do also think that most peeps staying in these areas tend to drive. So mrt is a good to have, not sure if it is a must-have.

Quote Originally Posted by EBD
    Mohd sultan nearest is clarke quay

GWC is Orchard, maybe outram.

valley park end - Tiong bahru

Depends. If you intend to rent out, MRTs will enhance rental rates (because many foreigners don't drive). Similarly for walking distance to shopping malls. Quote an example, those condos near Novena MRT station are priced like $1200-1500 psf but their rental $ psf pm is only slightly less than eg St Regis (but the latter priced at >$2000 psf). Obviously the former has better rental yield. Why?

That's quite a distance for those mrts to be considered 'near' Mohd Sultan and GWC right? Distance from GWC to Orchard mrt is about the same as distance from Nathan Road to Orchard mrt (abt 100m more compared to GWC), so wouldn't Nathan be 'near' mrt too? If you live on the Zouk side, Outram is the nearest but still quite a distance to walk.

Sorry maybe my assessment may be a bit different coz I am a newbie. Will be nice to hear all your thoughts.

But I do also think that most peeps staying in these areas tend to drive. So mrt is a good to have, not sure if it is a must-have.

Interesting. I didn't know that. For rental I do agree near mrt is definitely as plus. But I do notice that expats (ang mohs mostly) tend to cab more than taking the train. For them, cab is dirt cheap in Sg compared to where they come from. The Indian and Chinese expats do take the train quite a bit.

Depends. If you intend to rent out, MRTs will enhance rental rates (because many foreigners don't drive). Similarly for walking distance to shopping malls. Quote an example, those condos near Novena MRT station are priced like $1200-1500 psf but their rental $ psf pm is only slightly less than eg St Regis (but the latter priced at >$2000 psf). Obviously the former has better rental yield. Why?

my colleague told me: D9 River Valley GOOD. D10 River Valley BAD.

has to do with the surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anus
    my colleague told me: D9 River Valley GOOD. D10 River Valley BAD.

has to do with the surroundings.
    Yeah, i like the area with a lot of trees, esp the condos along that road that you can cut across to taka. can't remember wassit called

Quote Originally Posted by gfoo
    Yeah, i like the area with a lot of trees, esp the condos along that road that you can cut across to taka. can't remember wassit called
    Leonie hill and leonie hill rd. they connect river valley rd to grange rd, which leads up to Ngee Ann city. the old grangeford was along that part of grange rd.

yeah that area is nice. I liked it too but my pocket beg to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anus
    Leonie hill and leonie hill rd. they connect river valley rd to grange rd, which leads up to Ngee Ann city. the old grangeford was along that part of grange rd.

Even if they can claim for taxi, their family members cannot mah. So they will obviously look for some convenience place by public transport in the interest of their family members.

Interesting. I didn't know that. For rental I do agree near mrt is definitely as plus. But I do notice that expats (ang mohs mostly) tend to cab more than taking the train. For them, cab is dirt cheap in Sg compared to where they come from. The Indian and Chinese expats do take the train quite a bit.

single expat takes cab

single nerdy expat takes train

single expat with SPG takes motorbike and bicycle , and the SPG thinks her bf is cool , but if you are local, she will dump you, you poor idiot

expat with family takes cab, leave the car behind for family

Even if they can claim for taxi, their family members cannot mah. So they will obviously look for some convenience place by public transport in the interest of their family members.

singapore is so small .. expats also wonder why singaporean die die must stay next door to MRT, walk a bit will die

a lot of my expat colleagues , with family , they actually prefer landed , so their kids can run around, play with dogs, etc ..

i have ang mo colleagues staying west coast landed , Eton Hall area behind HortPark, Springwood (kent ridge)

they love the greenery , serenity ...more than MRT and crowd ..

You sure or not? May be you statistics not comprehensive of all expats in Singapore? Otherwise why landed rental $ psf pm so cheap especially when their number is much less than condo units? Must be low demand right? High demand generates high $ rental. If you look at those condos near MRT & also shopping malls, they have higher rental $ psf pm vs those that are not.

singapore is so small .. expats also wonder why singaporean die die must stay next door to MRT, walk a bit will die

a lot of my expat colleagues , with family , they actually prefer landed , so their kids can run around, play with dogs, etc ..

i have ang mo colleagues staying west coast landed , Eton Hall area behind HortPark, Springwood (kent ridge)

they love the greenery , serenity ...more than MRT and crowd ..

You sure or not? May be you statistics not comprehensive of all expats in Singapore? Otherwise why landed rental $ psf pm so cheap especially when their number is much less than condo units? Must be low demand right? High demand generates high $ rental. If you look at those condos near MRT & also shopping malls, they have higher rental $ psf pm vs those that are not.
    cheaper psft, does not means it is cheaper on the whole... if you multiply the price psf to the whole house, it will work out more.

for example, a terrace house at 6th avenue is around 900 psf thereabout... whereas condo's are generally about 1300 psf in that area. but you will end up paying more for the terrace than the condo...

i said expats with family ... those you referring to are generally single / couple ...

It doesn't matter regarding the total amount isn't it as long as we talk about $ psf? (since for higher total amount they get bigger size). Fact is that rental $ psf of landed is much lower and rental yield of landed is also lower than condo (despite the fact that condo price in $ psf is higher). If landed is really in demand especially when there are much less landed property vs condo apts, then the rental $ psf will be higher and not so low (so much lower than condo). From the low rental $ psf, I can only conclude that rental demand for landed is actually low.

Quote Originally Posted by pweesng
    cheaper psft, does not means it is cheaper on the whole... if you multiply the price psf to the whole house, it will work out more.

for example, a terrace house at 6th avenue is around 900 psf thereabout... whereas condo's are generally about 1300 psf in that area. but you will end up paying more for the terrace than the condo...
    Last edited by teddybear; 28-08-09 at 21:31.

I know of many expats with family living in condo (usually a family of 4 to 5 living in a 3-BR condo of about 1100-1500 sqft).

i said expats with family ... those you referring to are generally single / couple ...
    Last edited by teddybear; 28-08-09 at 21:32.

I know of many expats with family living in condo (usually a family of 4 to 5 living in a 3-BR condo of about 1100-1500 sqft).
    your expats are from China and HK ?

All the expats in my company ... every child has his/her own room
    so 4 person 4 rooms ..one for maid

and all have another spare room..for friends and relatives visiting ..

Some from US, some from Europe. May be the expats you see have much higher housing budget. Those that I saw typically have about max of about $8-12k pm.

your expats are from China and HK ?

All the expats in my company ... every child has his/her own room
    so 4 person 4 rooms ..one for maid

and all have another spare room..for friends and relatives visiting ..