Thread: Maids and condo pools - a different take

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Maids and condo pools - a different take

http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BFor...ry_416798.html

August 15, 2009 Saturday

Maids and condo pools - a different take

I REFER to the comment by Mr Bob Armstrong ('Maids and pools', Aug 6), who was responding to the Saturday Special Report, 'Trouble in condos' (Aug 1).

Mr Armstrong asserts that the basic rights of a fellow human being are neglected to protect the image of a condominium. He protests that such a ban infringes on maids' rights, and stirs up feelings of 'elitism, racism and plain unfairness'.

While I understand why Mr Armstrong feels his humanity has been offended, it is apparent to me that his argument is myopic. First, he argues that being allowed to use a swimming pool, which most would consider a luxury, is a basic right.

He also argues that since 'the maid lives in the condo, it seems only right that she can use all facilities'. However, while a maid may live in a condominium, it is first and foremost her workplace. Although she lives and works in the same place, a line must be drawn on inappropriate behaviour in the workplace.

My last concern is Mr Armstrong's thoughts on elitism. He mentions it as if it were something foreign and frowned on in Singapore. Without a doubt, elitism exists and is prevalent in Singapore today. With all due respect for maids for the hard labour they provide, there is no argument that they are lower-ranked than the family they serve. Denial of elitism does not work in favour of the situation.

I respect my maid, and am extremely grateful for her help in the household. As a result, I share a friendship with her, balanced by mutual respect, understanding and courtesy. Maids deserve to be treated well, but we do not need to offer them the luxuries of life, as long as the condominium remains their workplace.

Chan Qing Huang

It don't matter if you are a black or white.
    We are the World.

I spit on those who think they are high rung than others.

I see nothing wrong with maids swimming in the pool..
    Com'on.. she is working for you .. she is not Prisoner 999 in your prison.
    as long as she is off-work, she can do as she pleases and if that means swimming in the pool.. so be it.

So what happens if a phillipino who works here as an executive and rents a room in a condo. What then?
    Or how about you swimming in an aussie swimming pool and they say "chinese not allowed"... what then? (As an example only. But it's true in angmoh country, there is still some racisim)

We have been thru this type of elitism and why do we want to do it to others if we outselvesdon't like it?

Just thinking….So does that mean cleaners can also use the pool, tennis court, gym, etc???

It is not about elitism or racism. It is about respecting the opinion of majority represented by the management commitee of your condo.

Quote Originally Posted by cheerful
    Just thinking….So does that mean cleaners can also use the pool, tennis court, gym, etc???
    I would think people who are not living in the condo are called "guests"
    and people living in the condo are called "residents".

So for the cleaners to use the pool, they need to be invited in as guest by the resident.

So if I live in DoubleBay (Which is mass market and alot of wanna-bes rich but are poor people - since we are talking about strata rungs generalisation :P) .... then it's definitely possible that the resident might be a low level office executive who has friends who are maybe also similiarly low level swimming in your "Atas" pool. I usually classify this low level office executive as CLEANERS in the corporate world.. They clean up shit left behind by the bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    It don't matter if you are a black or white.
    We are the World.

I spit on those who think they are high rung than others.

I see nothing wrong with maids swimming in the pool..
    Com'on.. she is working for you .. she is not Prisoner 999 in your prison.
    as long as she is off-work, she can do as she pleases and if that means swimming in the pool.. so be it.

So what happens if a phillipino who works here as an executive and rents a room in a condo. What then?
    Or how about you swimming in an aussie swimming pool and they say "chinese not allowed"... what then? (As an example only. But it's true in angmoh country, there is still some racisim)

We have been thru this type of elitism and why do we want to do it to others if we outselvesdon't like it?
    if you work for ur boss, r u then entitled (have the rights) to swim in ur boss place? clearly a line should be drawn between workers and owners/renters. It is not a matter of racisim or elitism..

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    if you work for ur boss, r u then entitled (have the rights) to swim in ur boss place? clearly a line should be drawn between workers and owners/renters. It is not a matter of racisim or elitism..
    Yes.. only if my boss (the resident) invites me for a dip in his pool as a guest.

Quote Originally Posted by Allthepies
    Precisely ... not juz drawing line but oso as wat Mr Kiat has said, respecting the majority oso mah ....

... like tt oso need to explain .. haiz ..

There is no right or wrong. It should be up to MC each condominium to make the rules. Some condo owners do not like the crowded pool, some do not hire maids, and some do not allow the maids only baths in the home. Personally, I do not have a maid, and I will not mind sharing a pool with a little more flexible and marriage young lady, maid, or MILF.