Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sophia Residence (D9, Freehold, Guocoland)

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Sophia Residence (D9, Freehold, Guocoland)

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...35132,00.html?

Published May 28, 2009

UE and GuocoLand add green beauty

By MICHELLE YEO

(SINGAPORE) Green concerns have gone beyond consumers toting reusable shopping bags to developers putting up buildings that are kind on the environment.

Winner again: UE has clinched its third and fourth Gold award for The Rochester condominium, shopping mall and hotel development

Platinum winner: GuocoLand's Sophia Residence, a condominium coming up in the prime residential enclave of Mount Sophia in District 9

Two developers that have met the mark in this area are United Engineers Ltd (UE) and GuocoLand, with each clinching Green Mark awards given out by the Building and Construction Authority (BCA).

Having bagged two BCA Green Mark awards since 2007, UE has clinched its third and fourth Gold award for The Rochester condominium (residential category) and Park Avenue Rochester Hotel and The Rochester Square Shopping Mall (commercial category). The condominium, shopping mall and hotel form a mixed development in One-North, South Buona Vista Road.

This is the first commercial project in One-North to win such an award and deploy a district cooling system. This cooling system distributes thermal energy in the form of chilled water or other media from a central source to multiple buildings, eliminating the need for separate systems in individual buildings.

Having a green building, however, does not necessarily translate to absolute cost savings in the short term, since facilities such as the district cooling system can cost quite a substantial amount.

Benefits of green buildings are long term, some of which can be rather intangible, says David Liew, managing director of UE Developments. 'A good and clear conscience goes beyond what money can buy.'

Other green features of The Rochester include energy-efficient air-conditioning and lighting, and a water-efficient sanitaryware system in compliance with WELLS (Water Efficiency Label System), a national rating system by BCA.

Another plus point is the use of recycled building materials. The project will have outdoor furniture made from recycled materials and concrete kerbs built from recycled concrete aggregate.

A sky garden on the condominium's ninth storey and vertical greenery from levels four to eight in the commercial buildings add a touch of beauty.

UE, which has a history dating back to 1912, has managed to keep pace with the times, tailoring its corporate philosophy to take account of the current green focus.

'As a corporate citizen, we have a social responsibility as most of our projects will definitely have a physical and environmental impact on our island-state,' said Mr Liew. 'As a company, where we have to be responsible to our customers, shareholders and employees, maintaining a portfolio of environmentally sustainable buildings has also increasingly demonstrated long-term asset value and investment merits,' he added.

UE has plans to put its next project up for the Green Mark award - the UE Biz Hub in Changi Business Park.

GuocoLand is another developer that has excelled in meeting environmental standards, clinching the Platinum Green Mark award for its residential project, Sophia Residence.

The condominium is coming up in the prime residential enclave of Mount Sophia in District 9. This is the group's third such award, and its second Platinum.

Homebuyers seem to be more aware about environmental sustainability these days, and GuocoLand has kept its clients satisfied.

Trina Loh, managing director of GuocoLand (Singapore), noted that Sophia Residence is one of the first Green Mark Platinum award projects assessed under the new and more stringent BCA Green Mark criteria. 'We are proud that Sophia Residence has excelled with its outstanding eco-friendly features and has exceeded some of the requirements.'

The innovative design process for the building façade also leads to a lower RETV (Residential Envelope Transmittance Value). This lessens the heat load and can achieve up to a 25 per cent reduction in electricity bills for air-conditioning.

An interesting feature of the condominium is its eco ponds and biofilter ponds. These ponds, which are part of the landscaping, will be fed by rainwater and ground water harvested from the development's roof terraces and infiltration trenches.

The ponds will then filter the water using oxygenating reeds and will be able to support diverse water plants and fish. The filtered water is collected in an irrigation tank and can be reused to irrigate the landscape.

The projected energy savings could come up to 3.8 million kWh a year - equivalent to S$728,000 in energy bills. Savings in potable water come up to 47,000 cubic metres a year, or up to S$115,000.

But beyond cash savings, the extensive green features will enhance the overall quality of life for the homeowners, said Ms Loh.

So far no news of launch of Sophia Residence leh... anyone knows?
    Previously say they will launch in 2009... then no news liao... all quiet.
    Looks like Guocoland will probably wait out the 'soft' property market for now..

Wink Is Sophia Residences Launching soon - H88.com.sg

http://www.h88.com.sg/article/Sophia...o+be+launched/

Anyone got any update on this ?

This is quite near Istana, will there be any restriction on buying ? Maybe foreigner not eligible to buy...

Any news appreciated.

apart from the location, i never understood why people would pay that kind of price for condos in mount sophia and park emily area? the condos there are horribly designed and crammed. for condos like parc emily, you can literally see whatever ur neighbours are doing across. for 1st owners, i can only congratulate them coz they bought at really cheap price, but for those idiots who paid 1300psf to 1500psf for that area, i just have to wish them luck in finding another sucker to take over their property next time...

Hi, In your professional opinion, what price is consider right for sophia residences ?

Hi, In your professional opinion, what price is consider right for sophia residences ?

i am no professional, but IMO i would not pay anything more than 1.1k psf for condos in that area. an agent tried marketing me sophia suites for 1700psf once and i called him seow...

Quote Originally Posted by wonder

HaHaHa..... check ura, parc sophia transacted at S$1080 - 1150 psf.

You think foreigner can buy ? near istana

Yes foreigners can buy. A number of units of some of the developments there are sold to foreigners...

The $1080-$1150psf for Parc Sophia are the last few remaining ones (PES area larger rather than the actual unit itself. Can check plans to see. So that is why lower psf.). All the better facing ones gone liao.. You get what you pay for lah...

HaHaHa..... check ura, parc sophia transacted at S$1080 - 1150 psf.
    You think foreigner can buy ? near istana
    I think Guocoland will sell above the psf for Parc Sophia due to the cost of the land acquired for Sophia Residence during the Sophia Court enbloc.

Sophia Residence is clearly a much better product than Parc Sophia. I would not even attempt to compare the 2. Definitely established developer (with awards somemore) will sell at higher psf and people will still grab.

Quote Originally Posted by dazzle
    I think Guocoland will sell above the psf for Parc Sophia due to the cost of the land acquired for Sophia Residence during the Sophia Court enbloc.

not to forget parc emily is actually nearer to little india than dhoby ghaut! personally, i dislike the sophia, wilkie, emily area. like you said, poor design, many mickey mouse units developments. I wonder how bad the traffic is during peak hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    apart from the location, i never understood why people would pay that kind of price for condos in mount sophia and park emily area? the condos there are horribly designed and crammed. for condos like parc emily, you can literally see whatever ur neighbours are doing across. for 1st owners, i can only congratulate them coz they bought at really cheap price, but for those idiots who paid 1300psf to 1500psf for that area, i just have to wish them luck in finding another sucker to take over their property next time...

There is another thread post by SEA on the launch :

Freehold Project Launching Soon@District 9/Sophia Road

Looking at it, think this is the sophia residence, full condo facilities.

Will this be a good project to invest ?

it is probably a good project to invest based on its attributes but the price is surely not going to be good for buyers

There is another thread post by SEA on the launch :

Freehold Project Launching Soon@District 9/Sophia Road

Looking at it, think this is the sophia residence, full condo facilities.

Will this be a good project to invest ?

Notice Arcadia Sky (99 yrs) by Wing Tai is launching soon as well, comparing with Sophia Residence (FH), which got higher potential ? to rent and to flip

that's Ascentia Sky. all depends on the pricing upon launch, hard to say which has better potential to rent/flip. should have no problem finding tenants for both but problem is how much will be the rent vs launch price which is too tough to determine at this point.

Notice Arcadia Sky (99 yrs) by Wing Tai is launching soon as well, comparing with Sophia Residence (FH), which got higher potential ? to rent and to flip

The long stairs will not be good for elderly to walk down to street level. Notice there is another project just beside Plaza Singapore by DTZ, saw the banner and site yesterday while driving around that area. That will be more ideal perhaps

is that along handy road? that could be a 99 year leasehold site though, which govt sold to allgreen a few years back.

The long stairs will not be good for elderly to walk down to street level. Notice there is another project just beside Plaza Singapore by DTZ, saw the banner and site yesterday while driving around that area. That will be more ideal perhaps

Yes you are right, along Handy Road.

Wonder Sophia Residence developer will make some side gate to access to the street just for residence ?

i guess wherever possible, they will have a side gate for easy access to which ever roads/amenities for residents' convenience.

did u see a showroom for the handy road site? i don't think its launch ready unless the showroom is up. Allgreen seems to have a few other launch ready projects which they would likely go ahead with first.

Yes you are right, along Handy Road.

Wonder Sophia Residence developer will make some side gate to access to the street just for residence ?

No, did not see any showroom nearby.

Same for Sophia Residence, no showroom yet. Maybe showroom at other location.

Actually, how to gauge whether the project is worth investing ? Any key area to look for ?

i guess sophia residence stands out because the area is flooded with mickey mouse units. so only 8 @ mount sophia (but 103 year leasehold) and sophia residence are the only 2 investible ones so far.

No, did not see any showroom nearby.

Same for Sophia Residence, no showroom yet. Maybe showroom at other location.

Actually, how to gauge whether the project is worth investing ? Any key area to look for ?

Thanks for your advise.
    How many units you hold so far ?
    Do you flip as well ?

i only have previous experience of buying and subsequently selling 1 unit in the past. Have not bought in recent turbulent times so still waiting for next year, if global economies do stabilise. Never tried flipping before.

Thanks for your advise.
    How many units you hold so far ?
    Do you flip as well ?

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    i only have previous experience of buying and subsequently selling 1 unit in the past. Have not bought in recent turbulent times so still waiting for next year, if global economies do stabilise. Never tried flipping before.
    Hmmm... maybe thats a wise choice.. The US economy is still in the doldrums... my hats off to you..

that's too big a hat. i am just a one unit amateur. I was thinking, if US economy is going through a slow recovery, I do not think the 2 IRs are going to do the trick for our economy.

Quote Originally Posted by dazzle
    Hmmm... maybe thats a wise choice.. The US economy is still in the doldrums... my hats off to you..

Wonder how much will be the psf for sophia residence ?

8@mt sophia transacted at around 1050 to 1150 in May at URA website, wonder how will be the psf price for sophia residence

i think sophia residence will be offered at AT LEAST 1400psf if not more. it won't come cheap.

8@mt sophia transacted at around 1050 to 1150 in May at URA website, wonder how will be the psf price for sophia residence

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    i think sophia residence will be offered at AT LEAST 1400psf if not more. it won't come cheap.
    Wahhhh.... So ex!