Thread: Prevent private info from falling into wrong hands

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Prevent private info from falling into wrong hands

http://www.straitstimes.com/Think/St...ry_380996.html

May 24, 2009

YOUR LETTERS

Prevent private info from falling into wrong hands

We are one of the many 'victims' of cold calls made by property agents, and the calls have become more frequent in recent weeks, possibly because of the economic downturn.

When we demanded to know how they obtained our personal particulars, the agents told us that we are in their 'yellow pages', where the personal particulars of new residential owners or existing ones are 'bought and collated' by a private company, which in turn sells them to property agencies.

It seems that our particulars were purchased for a mere $1.60. Our residential telephone number is listed as private, yet the agents were able to obtain it.

We understand that lawyers need to file new owners' particulars when they lodge a caveat. The particulars then become public information accessible on the Internet.

But is there any way the relevant authorities can help to prevent such information from falling into the hands of companies which are making big bucks at the expense of invading the privacy of home owners?

Doesn't the Institute of Estate Agents have a code of conduct requiring its members not to harass new or existing home owners by making cold calls?

Shung Lai Lin (Mrs)

i've given up how to prevent marketing companies from calling me. any suggestions on this? I've had 5 calls from the same company in one week!

Quote Originally Posted by shespawn
    i've given up how to prevent marketing companies from calling me. any suggestions on this? I've had 5 calls from the same company in one week!
    1st, change your fix line to a private number.
    2nd, tell them you want to sell your property but price it 500psf above market transaction.