View Poll Results: Bull or Bear

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bullish

38 50.67%
  • Bearish

37 49.33%
Page 34 of 61 FirstFirst ... 49141924293031323334353637383944495459 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1809

Thread: Property market sentiments?

Quote Originally Posted by jlrx
    Yours is not truly "Reporter style".

Let me show you "Reporter style".

But the nature and timing of such measures would have to be balanced against the still uncertain path of economic recovery.

Now let me write my analysis ...

I bet the MAS will NOT dare to try anything drastic.

The MAS should know very well, from experience, that once the property market crashes, it doesn't go down just a few percentage points.

When it crashes, it crashes. And then there will be blood all over the place - the blood of lots of innocent bystanders (i.e. not Property_Owner, Reporter or me) but people who may lose their rice bowls; people who may commit suicide; or people who may uprise.

You have to read between the lines, e.g. Straits Times Nov 9, 2009:

'Price levels and transaction activity bear close monitoring,' the MAS said. 'As Singapore emerges from recession and with the market expecting low interest rates to persist for some time, the risk of a renewed escalation of speculative momentum cannot be discounted.'

Asian central banks may also have to tighten monetary policy before developed economies do, which could lead to problems, said the MAS. If Asian countries raise rates much earlier than the developed world, more money would flow into the region, putting pressure on the exchange rate and potentially resulting in asset price bubbles.

Let me translate this into simple English:

What MAS is saying is "HELP!"

in my earlier input

i did say that the measures will not be HARSH becos govt afraid money moving out .. then IRs etc will fail ..

but that does not mean they cannot implement many many small measures ..
    they are all subtle warnings ..

thats why i also said prices will stabilise from here ... till IRs open (give it 1 to 2 yrs of glory), till all the prime projects in REAL prime area ( not novena) TOP ..and watch the rental fall .....

then price will dip .... cos mass market punters cannot tahan low rental returns ...

by which time 2010-12 ..USD rate may be higher ... so can SGD interest rates ...

so i suggest if you aer hold alot ..to take profit on some .. keep cash to weather whats to come ..

Reporter is offline F01 N54 Sheer Driving Pleasure

There is no reason why the economy has to recover in order for property prices to rise.

What is happening now is not so much that property prices are rising, but that money is being devalued by Obama printing lots of it.

As I am writing this, gold has just smashed through US$1,100/oz. and is now trading at US$1,107/oz.. What has that got to do with the economy?

If we price our properties in gold, then property prices have not risen at all! What property bubble are we talking about?

Why don't we talk about a "gold bubble"? "oil bubble"? "commodity bubble"?

The only "bubble" is the US economy, which was based on Madoff/Lehman-styled bullshit, has finally been exposed and now they are printing money like there is no tomorrow to try to save it.

This will go on for at least the next two hundred years because frankly I don't know who will actually buy a car made by General Motors? Does anyone here in this forum drive a car made by General Motors?

How is their employment going to go up when they make things that nobody wants to buy (except themselves)? The only thing they are good at is transferring the retirement funds of Singapore and Hong Kong pensioners into their Lehman Brothers' bonus pool.

So interest rates will be near zero for at least the next two hundred years, and since MAS said that Asia cannot raise interest rates till the US does, property should be a safe investment for at least the next two hundred years.

At least Obama can't print a million Ardmore Parks tomorrow.
    I think it is important to understand that it is not the "value" of house, gold, silver, etc. that will be going up. It is the currencies we used that are depreciating.

For example, if we buy an unit in Vivace for $1M today. One year later, assuming the economy make no further improvement, its "value" will remain unchanged. However by then, we will need to fork out $2M to buy that same "value" or Vivace unit if the currency we used has depreciated by 50% (maybe due to Obama's HP ColorJet printer accidentally printed an extra set of dollar notes).

I think it is also important to understand that the SGD cannot continue to strengthen against the USD. If it do, Singapore export is doom. That is why our interest rate needs to be extremely low - so low that people would not switch their deposit from USD to SGD. If our interest rate is comparatively higher, many Americans and Europeans would park their money here, then we will have no parking lots!

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    in my earlier input

i did say that the measures will not be HARSH becos govt afraid money moving out .. then IRs etc will fail ..

thats why i also said prices will stabilise from here ... till IRs open (give it 1 to 2 yrs of glory), till all the prime projects in REAL prime area ( not novena) TOP ..and watch the rental fall .....

then price will dip .... cos mass market punters cannot tahan low rental returns ...

by which time 2010-12 ..USD rate may be higher ... so can SGD interest rates ...

so i suggest if you aer hold alot ..to take profit on some .. keep cash to weather whats to come ..
    With the black hole so big, I think the US would need a longer period of growth to cover it. I don't think the US can afford to raise its interest rate within the next one to two years. It needs growth!

I believe asset inflation is unavoidable. However, the government can act to avoid an asset bubble. (Please note that asset inflation is different from asset bubble, i.e. $1 becoming $2 .vs. $1 becoming $10.) I think it can do so by (i) limiting property loan ratio (i.e. reduce from current 80% to say 60%), and (ii) temporarily suspense the use of CPF monies for purchase of private properties.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by andy
    Interesting thesis but we should give the US more credit since there are other individuals & companies like Gates and Jobs & Google creating real intellectual capital
    Gates creating "real intellectual capital"?

Do you buy Windows because you love it so much? Or because you have no choice?

That's a monopoly stranglehold. Not intellectual capital.

Honestly I would be more concerned if the printing stops.
    I didn't say that it's a bad thing.

In fact, the more money Obama prints, the better.

Like what Reporter has suggested below ...

Quote Originally Posted by Reporter
    (maybe due to Obama's HP ColorJet printer accidentally printed an extra set of dollar notes).
    My property portfolio will double in value overnight!

However, Obama's boss Grandpa Wen is now cautioning him not to print too much money ...

China's Premier Warns Obama to Get America's Deficit to an "Appropriate Size"

Nov 09, 2009 01:32pm EST by Heesun Wee

As President Barack Obama prepares to depart Thursday for his first Asia trip, Chinese premier Wen Jiabao is urging the U.S. to keep its deficit to an "appropriate size," a clear message to the leader of the world's largest debtor nation from its largest creditor.

China is the largest holder of U.S. government debt and has invested an estimated 70% of its more than $2 trillion stockpile of foreign-exchange reserves (the world's largest) in dollar assets, Reuters reports. Further dollar weakness, brought on by enormous U.S. deficit spending and near-zero interest rates, would erode the value of China's huge U.S. holdings, as Henry and Aaron discuss in the accompanying clip.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    in my earlier input

Let me address your points using the same colour scheme:

1. Rentals have been falling over the past year; but prices have been rising. So the correlation between rental and price may not be positive.

2. Between 1970 to 1975 (around the oil crisis period) the interest rate frequently exceeded 10%, yet that was the period when $195,000 bungalows started their ascent towards their $1 million mark.

3. Buying properties is something like a "religion". We must have "faith". My faith is that over the long term, cash will keep devaluing. I cannot predict the short term or even medium term fluctuations due to Integrated Resorts etc. But over the long term, cash has never failed to devalue. Hence cash is something I do not want to hold (except for daily expenses).

Now price of gold seems to be the leading inflation indicator, followed by oil. Watch out for a breakout of S&P500 at 1,100.

BDI is stabilizing too http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/chart?...cks=BDIY%3AIND

Quote Originally Posted by jwong71
    Then its time for the Rich to start the buying spree again..
    ... rich or not ... still need to hedge against asset inflation ... just buy within your means ...

Quote Originally Posted by The Business Times

Ho Bee and MCL sell 51 units at Parvis
    The Business Times
    Tuesday, 10 November 2009

Unlike the recent trend of smallest units in a project selling out first, what happened at Parvis was quite the reverse, with 4-bedroom apartments accounting for the most number of units sold – 19. This was followed by two-bedders (15 units) and three-bedders (14 units).

MCL and Ho Bee even sold 3 penthouses in response to buyer interest, although these were not part of the initial batch of 85 units they released for the preview.

Singaporeans bought 39 of the 51 units sold. Permanent residents and foreigners acquired the remaining 12 units; they were mostly Malaysians, with some Indonesians, Mr Chong added.

The three penthouses sold comprise two single-level units of 2,300 sqft each, with three bedrooms and costing about $3.3 million apiece, and a 2,800-sqft duplex unit with four bedrooms, priced at about $4.1 million. The duplex was picked up by a foreigner while Singaporeans bought the two single-level penthouses.

HLF stirs waters, cuts HDB home loan rates
    DBS says it, too, is offering revised low rates; OCBC says it remains competitive
    The Business Times

Hong Leong Finance (HLF) has slashed its HDB home loan rates in a bid to undercut the competition amid a low interest rate environment, but it seems some banks might have been even quicker on the draw.

Yesterday, HLF said its latest HDB home loan rates are 0.50% lower than its last promotional rates.

It now offers variable rates at 1.33%, 2.13% and 2.83% for the first, second year and third year respectively. The variable rates are based on a board rate which currently stands at 4.25%. Its new two-year fixed-rate package charges 1.63% and 2.63% in the first and second year respectively, totalling 4.26%.

But rival DBS said it too has new lower home loan packages applicable to both HDB and private properties. A DBS spokeswoman said the bank ‘just’ revised its home loan rates.

DBS’s variable package charges the same 1.675% based on three-month Sibor plus 1% for every year of the loan. The three-month Sibor or Singapore interbank offered rate is 0.675%. Borrowers can also opt for a two-year fixed rate at 1.88% for both years which amounts to 3.76%.

At OCBC, the variable rate for three years is the same 1.66% each year and based on its board rate of 4.5%. Those who want a two-year fixed can pay 1.99% per year.

‘OCBC Bank’s home loan packages will remain competitive to respond to market conditions,’ said Phang Lah Hwa, head of consumer secured lending, OCBC Bank.

HLF, Singapore’s largest finance company, said the new rates apply until the end of the year and are for up to 80% financing.

‘The revision in rates is to ensure that our package is one of the lowest in the market,’ said an HLF spokeswoman.

‘We hope that with the new rates, our customers will continue to support us and allow us to capture a bigger slice of the HDB market which is presently very active and healthy,’ she said.

HLF said customers who sign on with a minimum loan of $200,000 will also get a choice of KrisFlyer air miles or dining vouchers with five hotels in Singapore.

‘There has been an increasing demand for HDB flats and we pride ourselves with moving with the market and the changing needs of our customers,’ said Ian Macdonald, HLF president.

‘Response to Hong Leong Finance’s earlier home loan promotion has been very encouraging and we are confident that the new rates will perform just as well,’ he added.

Let me address your points using the same colour scheme:

1. Rentals have been falling over the past year; but prices have been rising. So the correlation between rental and price may not be positive.

2. Between 1970 to 1975 (around the oil crisis period) the interest rate frequently exceeded 10%, yet that was the period when $195,000 bungalows started their ascent towards their $1 million mark.

3. Buying properties is something like a "religion". We must have "faith". My faith is that over the long term, cash will keep devaluing. I cannot predict the short term or even medium term fluctuations due to Integrated Resorts etc. But over the long term, cash has never failed to devalue. Hence cash is something I do not want to hold (except for daily expenses).
    Wah biang! Actually, come to think of it ...
    If one's income is rising faster than one's debt and one's assets are standing at 6 times that of one's debt, just let him/her buy his/her property lor.
    He/She has a strong balance sheet and he/she is financially disciplined wat. He/She buys because he/she is richer and has more cash lah.
    Why make life difficult for him/her?

Aiyah! Just look ... credit card loans are shrinking, car loans are shrinking. People have lots of cash.

Wages rise, debts slow and Singaporeans get richer
    Households have weathered crisis relatively well: MAS
    Siow LiSen
    The Business Times

Singaporeans are getting richer as household debt has risen slower than wage growth, financial crisis notwithstanding. Add high property prices and the reluctance to spend freely and you have household assets standing at more than 6 times the household debts.

'Households have on the whole weathered the crisis relatively well, thanks to strong balance sheets,' according to the Monetary Authority of Singapore's (MAS) Financial Stability Review 2009 released yesterday.

'The asset quality of household loans has not deteriorated significantly and so should not affect the stability of the banking system,' it said.

Household net wealth stood at an all time high, an estimated $1,001 billion in Q3 2009, after hitting a trough at $895 billion in Q1 2009. This is also more than double that of $400 billion plus in 1999.

Aggregate household net wealth is at about 4 times of gross domestic product, up from about 3.6 times in Q1 2009.

Still, the MAS said the healthy position is not uniform across all homes.
    'Those who were retrenched or highly leveraged would likely have come under more pressure,' it said.

As Singaporeans maintain discipline in taking on consumer debt, assets remain more than 6 times the household liabilities.

Cash and CPF balances alone have exceeded total household liabilities since 2006.

After declining in Q4 2007 and Q1 2009, household holdings of equity and managed funds are estimated to have recovered by about 40% to $150 billion in Q3 2009, in tandem with the rising global equity markets.

Similarly, property holdings have turned around, up by an estimated 9% to $537 billion in Q3 2009 from the low of $491 billion in Q2 2009.

Total liabilities increased moderately by 4.4% year-on-year in Q3 2009, which is much lower than the long-term average growth rate of about 13%. Most of the increase came from housing loans, which account for the bulk of household borrowing. After moderating from around 15% in Q4 2007 to 8.8% in Q4 2008, housing loan growth has seen a recent uptick to 12% in Q3 2009 due to increased activity in the property market.

Other types of household debt such as credit cards, car loans and share financing grew at a sluggish pace.

Share financing loan growth recovered from negative territory in Q2 2009 to 18% in Q3 2009, along with the rebound in the stock markets.

Share financing represents less than 1% of total household debt currently.

Credit card loan growth slowed from 19.5% in Q3 2008 to 11.4% in Q3 2009 while car loans shrank by 2.2% in Q3 2009 as a result of falling car sales.

Credit card loans comprise a relatively small share of total household debt at about 3% as of Q3 2009.

Household remuneration growth has outpaced the rate of increase in household debt in the last few years and the household debt to remuneration ratio has been falling.

'However, the ratio may rise this year, as the downturn would likely constrain wage growth. As of June 2009, average wages had contracted 2.1% year-on-year, compared to a 3.8% rise in household liabilities over the same period,' the MAS said.

Looking ahead, households may be tempted to take on more leverage in the short term, given strong market sentiment in the domestic equity and property markets and expectations that low interest rates could persist for some time, it said.

'This might expose households to increased risks in light of the still uncertain paths of economic recovery and interest rates. The current healthy balance sheet position suggests that households in general would be well placed to weather these downside risks.'

My humour suggestion

To owners.
    If you feel like dying today after reading papers today, dun worry. After these amount of release for lands next year. How much lands is left are Singapore?
    Why SAF got to spend so much money for training overseas? In Singapore you can't even conduct Division size exercise.
    Don't worry so much.. Enbloc fever will come back soon. Developers are dying for land, dying to make money. Ah gong need money too, to fund further developments that had been promised and shelved. Prices will keep going up.
    Why so many sites been selected for EC? private properties will move up to another new height till so many got no choice but to buy EC. Prime area land not release cause these area still not peak and why sell these land now where they can get better rates in 2 years time.

To buyers:

Buy within your means if you can afford. You can wait but why pay more? If not just continue renting as rental is still weak, continue to enjoy the low rental rates. Suites @ Central still have many vacant units waiting for you. Sail a lot too. Mark my words, if you miss you choice now, in 3 months time you will end up buying higher or buy nothing.

Have a good day.

If one's income is rising faster than one's debt and one's assets are standing at 6 times that of one's debt, just let him/her buy his/her property lor.
    He/She has a strong balance sheet and he/she is financially disciplined wat. He/She buys because he/she is richer and has more cash lah.

Aiyah! Just look ... credit card loans are shrinking, car loans are shrinking. People have lots of cash.
    A bit of mixed messages. The first page of StraitsTimes talk about a property bubble and warn investors losing money. Business times talk about S'porean getting richer and less debt/asset ratio.

So what you expect the richer Sporean to do with cash?

A bit of mixed messages. The first page of StraitsTimes talk about a property bubble and warn investors losing money. Business times talk about S'porean getting richer and less debt/asset ratio.

Our media are been controlled. pal

Quote Originally Posted by Property_Owner
    The idea is to confuse all Singaporeans lah! He He He

You have to look at things in context. The MAS has just published the Financial Stability Review, which show households (on the aggregate) are in a cash rich position. It is easy for many to move money into property.

The govt has done all they could within the current framework - ie removing the IAS, banning interest only loans, increasing land supply for the mass market. Other possible measures (on the supply side) like building more HDB flats etc will take too much time.

Other measures beyond these will damage Singapore's reputation as a wealth management centre. So, measures like raising the downpayment beyond 20% are not likely.

At the same, there is still economic uncertainty in 2010 and beyond.

So, the MAS has to indulge in a little "moral suasion"

I have a unit at Hundred Trees and already having a problem disposing the unit. Not sure what is the best method now since my agent is nonchalant about the situation. He only does ST Classified twice or trice a month and each time there are less than 3 calls

Whatever it is, it's not due to funding problem which sets me on disposing the unit. I can hold if required but need to dispose it off due to personal commitments. I'm not a speculator

Quote Originally Posted by pmet
    I have a unit at Hundred Trees and already having a problem disposing the unit. Not sure what is the best method now since my agent is nonchalant about the situation. He only does ST Classified twice or trice a month and each time there are less than 3 calls

Whatever it is, it's not due to funding problem which sets me on disposing the unit. I can hold if required but need to dispose it off due to personal commitments. I'm not a speculator
    What ur size of the unit.?? Selling at.?? Breakeven or above launch price.

What ur size of the unit.?? Selling at.?? Breakeven or above launch price.
    1227sqft @ 1m is around breakeven price after bank loan and stamp fees

Maybe MAS and URA are urging the richer Singaporeans to put their money in the banks or the safes for Obama's HP ColorJet to depreciate it?

Quote Originally Posted by pmet

Less than 3 calls,duely for this project to be topped in many yrs later.

Projects to be TOP in yrs, mostly for the investors and speculators to buy some time. That usually in town district.
    Wherelse if home buyers, they prefer to buy for immediate move-in to stay.

But for the district,it not a area for speculate. Only home stay buyers..
    Where got home buyers,wan to wait yrs before can move in. Especially for a 1mil purchase.

Less than 3 calls,duely for this project to be topped in many yrs later.

Projects to be TOP in yrs, mostly for the investors and speculators to buy some time. That usually in town district.
    Wherelse if home buyers, they prefer to buy for immediate move-in to stay.

But for the district,it not a area for speculate. Only home stay buyers..
    Where got home buyers,wan to wait yrs before can move in. Especially for a 1mil purchase.
    That's exactly my thought too. But thinking of how Caspian and other OCR were flipped so easily earlier this year, the govt measures indeed have some kind of effect on the property market nowadays.

I think the diff is those units are smaller and cost less... easier to profit from 'flipping' then.

I ever personally experienced, a recent 'sold out' development nearby my unit actually a smart agent from Huttons managed to swing over the buyer to buy my subsale unit, closing it in a mere 2-3 days!

I think each market has its own buyers, MM units oso can flip if fully soldout similar to for OCR/RCR new launches. Having said that, I did monitor movements for a few new launches for flipping and even larger prime areas are flipped for pretty gd profit:

15 Sophia Road #12-28
    Freehold
    $1770
    $3219k
    29 Sep 09
    -----------------------
    15 Sophia Road #12-28
    Freehold
    $1598
    $2907k
    17 Aug 09

A solid 300K+ gain in 1 month (stamp duty absorbed by developer)

Well the gd days were in Q3, not sure if it is still possible in Q4 and coming 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dtrax
    I think each market has its own buyers, MM units oso can flip if fully soldout similar to for OCR/RCR new launches. Having said that, I did monitor movements for a few new launches for flipping and even larger prime areas are flipped for pretty gd profit:

15 Sophia Road #12-28
    Freehold
    $1770
    $3219k
    29 Sep 09
    -----------------------
    15 Sophia Road #12-28
    Freehold
    $1598
    $2907k
    17 Aug 09

A solid 300K+ gain in 1 month (stamp duty absorbed by developer)

Well the gd days were in Q3, not sure if it is still possible in Q4 and coming 2010
    Only Prime areas, higher purchase prices is still possible to flip. These area are investors,speculators and foreign number 1 choice area.

Homestay area,for only stay. You can flip, if the project is alrdy topped.. NOT still being built halfway etc... I flip smaller quataum. Less stress

A Agent frz,can flip 7 options in a month. not sure is good month or normal month. Heard the flipping profit alone 100-200k, coz he alway flipped the big unit at prime location.

My humour suggestion

To owners.
    If you feel like dying today after reading papers today, dun worry. After these amount of release for lands next year. How much lands is left are Singapore?
    Today's papers are all full of good news.

As long as the government is talking about "cooling" the market, that means the market is healthy.

On the other hand, like the earlier part of the year, when the government talked about "propping up the market" or "cutting back land supplies". That's when the market was really sick, and you also would not find me in this forum, because I would be in hidding.

I am eagerly awaiting the following good news headlines:

"Development Charge to Be Raised Back to 2007 Level

Several successful en blocs at record prices prompted the government to raise development charge back to pre-crisis level"

"Interest Rates to be Raised to 15%

Rates not seen since 1973 oil crisis shows that government is serious in dealing with severe asset inflation, which saw a 5-room HDB flat at Kim Tian being transacted at $5.7 million"

No need to guess whether our newspapers are bullish or bearish ...

Actions speak louder than words ...

Business Times

November 10, 2009, 6.57 pm (Singapore time)

Update: Clementi Mall tender draws top bid of almost $542 million

By KALPANA RASHIWALA

The Housing & Development Board's tender for Clementi Mall has attracted a total of six bids. The top bid by CM Domain Pte Ltd, a joint venture led by Singapore Press Holdings, was for $541.898 million. This works out to $2,800 per square foot based on the net lettable area of 18,000 sq metres or 193,750 sq ft.

The mall is being sold on 99-year leasehold tenure. SPH's joint venture partners are NTUC FairPrice Co-Operative and NTUC Income Insurance Co-op.

HDB is building only the core structure and facade, which it aims to hand over to the eventual buyer around August next year. The new owner will then finish the project internally, with flexibility to plan the theme and layout. The buyer will also have naming rights to the mall.

Straits Times

Nov 10, 2009

Mall draws top bid of $542m

By Joyce Teo

THE tender for a mall at Clementi Town Centre which closed on Tuesday, attracted a top bid of $541.9 million from CM Domain.
    It was a whopping 41.8 per cent above the second bid of $382 million from Titanium (AMT) and Guthrie (Anshan).

There were six bids in all, according to a statement from the Housing & Development Board.

Other bidders include CapitaMall Trust and Sim Lian Holdings.

The suburban mall is part of a larger 40-storey development that has two blocks of HDB flats and a bus interchange.

Managing property cycles
    Fiona Chan
    The Straits Times
    Tuesday, 10 November 2009, 8.40pm

Mr Tharman said the Government will probably not use 'macro tools' to manage property cycles, such as changing the interest rate or exchange rate, because these rates affect businesses as well. -- Photo: Caroline Chia, ST

Property cycles in Singapore are hard to predict, but the Government will try to minimise the ups and downs in the real estate market as far as possible, said Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam on Tuesday.

'We will keep our eyes on the ball and use every tool at our disposal in a calibrated fashion to try to manage that cycle as best as we can,' he told about 80 business leaders in a forum held to garner feedback on the Economic Strategies Committee. Mr Tharman is heading this committee to look into new ways for Singapore to grow.

The Government will probably not use 'macro tools' to manage property cycles, such as changing the interest rate or exchange rate, because these rates affect businesses as well, said Mr Tharman in his concluding remarks at the forum.

But there are other options. These include tweaking rules on credit, adjusting land supply, and - in extreme cases - amending tax policies, he said.

'We do want to manage the property cycle as best we can, prevent boom and bust,' said Mr Tharman, adding that this is 'not easy' as it is difficult to anticipate Singapore's property needs four or five years in advance.

2800psf for a suburban mall at cost. and by a local boy.

SPH not singing the same tune as MAS?

But there are other options. These include tweaking rules on credit, adjusting land supply, and - in extreme cases - amending tax policies, he said.
    1. Rules on credit work only on lower end properties but not on high end properties where buyers like Jet Li or Zhong Sheng Jian probably have enough money in their bank accounts to buy 10 or 100 Binjai Rise or Binjai Park bungalows, respectively.

2. Adjusting land supply is workable only if developers correspondingly lower their selling price instead of hoarding it for years, like what Far East had been doing with its Bayshore, Rafflesia and Hillview Regency, or Li Kashing with Costa del Sol.

3. Amending tax policies will be most damaging to the government's reputation (that's probably why it's only in "extreme cases"). If the government keeps amending it's tax policy, it's going to confuse overseas investors and make us look exactly like a neighbouring country who can never make up its mind.

I guess their aim is to make the property market a low risk investment instrument, like the cash funds which increase in value slowly over time, without the bubbles. This will be good for everyone and the general economy. Rollercoasters will be good for a few heros but bad for many common folks.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    2800psf for a suburban mall at cost. and by a local boy.

SPH not singing the same tune as MAS?
    Err ... which MAS's tune to follow?

Tune 1: I know you are cash rich with little debt but I am asking you not to buy property?
    OR
    Tune 2: There are risks in buying property but you are well positioned to weather these risks due to your financial position?

Maybe SPH, NTUC, Capitaland, etc. are all in tuned with MAS? Our ears are just not sensitive enough to hear their tune?

Household wealth at $1 trillion
    Gabriel Chen
    The Straits Times
    Tuesday, 10 November 2009, 6.35pm

The record figures, which were released in the Monetary Authority of Singapore's (MAS) annual Financial Stability Review on Monday, go a long way to explain why the recession that has just ended seemed less painful than previous downturns. -- Photo: Caroline Chia, ST

Households in Singapore have generally weathered the financial crisis well, with net wealth rising to an all-time high of $1 trillion as at end September after slumping to $895 billion in the first quarter of the year.

The record figures, which were released in the Monetary Authority of Singapore's (MAS) annual Financial Stability Review on Monday, go a long way to explain why the recession that has just ended seemed less painful than previous downturns.

The recovery in the stock and property markets since the first quarter is one reason, but Singaporeans are also richer as they saved, invested and paid their debt.

The global economic recovery has meant a strong rebound in net wealth - assets minus liabilities.

Take property assets. The MAS data showed that real estate holdings have turned around - they were up by an estimated 9% to $537 billion in the three months to Sept 30, from $491 billion in the second quarter.