• Bullish

38 50.67%
  • Bearish

37 49.33%
Page 17 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2712131415161718192021222732374247 ... LastLast

Thread: Property market sentiments?

Quote Originally Posted by gfoo
    Army, reinforced during NUS.
    So will you quit smoking once you have a kid?

Quote Originally Posted by sufri
    So will you quit smoking once you have a kid?
    yeah, even if i don't my wife will make me lor. i'll prob sneaka few when no one's looking and buy lots of fisherman's friend

Quote Originally Posted by gfoo
    Lol i don't have a kid yet, but fingers crossed, soon . My job as future-parent is to provide the best available infrastructure for my kid to flourish and be an outstanding member of society. We can agree to disagree, as parenting is a very personal, and subjective concern unique to individuals.

- Rather than teaching my kid about the value of the dollar, i will want to teach him the utility of the dollar. earning a buck through hard work is one thing, but earning two bucks through less work and then turning those two bucks into a hundred bucks is another.

- The close community ties of the HDB flats of old is gone. At my marital place, there are druggies in the playgrounds, out-of-work young persons influencing schoolkids and such, undesirables swearing at the playgrounds etc. You have robberies, car vandalism, and other miscreant behaviour. Getting my kid to identify with the lower strata is one thing, exposing the kid to such risks to me is irresponsibile when one has alternatives.

Let's not kid ourselves - the people we hangout with are more or less people that we are comfortable with, and that invariably means people of similar social stratas and common interests. The formative years of a kid is important - i posted previous in another thread 'It's who you grow up with that defines how you grow up'.

A kid who hangs out with peers that play truant to go play arcade will eventually play truant to go play arcade - because that is the accepted norm amongst his 'society'. A kid who hangs out with peers that love soccer will kick a ball soon; etc etc you catch my drift.

I grew up in a condo. Every day, we have an allotted time where the other kids will ask my mom or maid for permission to play - and we'll go en-masse down to the pool: I learnt how to dive. Other days, we'll go to each other's place for hours of D&D: I learnt how to imagine and create great stories. Exam time, those of us who were of the same grade will go to the reading room to study, sometimes the older brothers will guide us, sometimes someone's tuition teach will guide us enmasse. We'll cycle in the compound free of fear of rushing cars under the watchful eye of the guard: i learnt to ride a bike & roller skate. When we grew up, these same neigbour kids became close friends sharing business experiences, contacts and contracts. I have never seen such an extent in my 5 years living in a HDB in modern times. This is happening at the condo i stay in now.

While i agree with you no one should flaunt private banking accounts or their Infinite cards or black centurions, cars and stuff are individual passions. I want my kid to aspire, not to learn how to stretch the dollar he has, but rather how to grow that dollar in to many more dollars. He will always to be taught compassion, and to treat all as human beings, but whether the kid treats those from other stratas as equals is subjective. If my kid deems himself the equal to the Prince of Wales, he'd better work hard to reach that par. If those beneath him want to be treated as an equal, they'd have to earn his respect.

Dun flame hor. This is not an argument or to put anyone down, but this is my own very personal way of how if i do have a kid, i'll bring him or her up. It may not be the right way or the best way, but it's my way.
    Hi gfoo,

My previous post was not meant to flame, but to share my personal opinion and the fact that I disagree on your point that HDB dwellers have a sense of insecurity, and miscreant behaviour is rife in HDB communities, and it would be irresponsible to expose one's child to HDB dwelling when one has alternatives. I agree that each parent has his/her own parenting styles, and each to his/her own.

Should HDB environments should be rife with miscreant behaviour and delinquents, then it might simply be best to migrate to a place where there is absolutely no miscreants/social deviants/morons, especially since 80% of Singapore population are HDB dwellers. The same people who stroll along the public Gardens at Marina, the children who share our childrens' playschool, our fellow co-workers are most probably HDB-dwellers. And when you could find such a place in this world, plse do let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Property_Owner
    You an agent?
    Definitely not, but i view so many houses as a buyer that seller agent also recognize me and ask my agent if I am agent or buyer. Then he say i can be agent and ask me to join his team. Then guess what, my agent objected said I should join her team.
    Last edited by JohnTan; 22-06-09 at 14:52.

Quote Originally Posted by new2mondrian
    Should HDB environments should be rife with miscreant behaviour and delinquents, then it might simply be best to migrate to a place where there is absolutely no miscreants/social deviants/morons, especially since 80% of Singapore population are HDB dwellers. The same people who stroll along the public Gardens at Marina, the children who share our childrens' playschool, our fellow co-workers are most probably HDB-dwellers. And when you could find such a place in this world, plse do let me know.
    Actually if you read between the lines of my initial posts you'll find i have absolutely nothing against hdb dwellers at large, just the miscreant section of society that really spoil the whole pie for everyone.

true to some extent this "miscreant" section of society is more likely to be found at hdb estate/surroundings than condo ones ...

Quote Originally Posted by august
    true to some extent this "miscreant" section of society is more likely to be found at hdb estate/surroundings than condo ones ...
    Heard of laguna pk incidents?

Hi gfoo and property owner,

On a separate isuue, since the 2 of you really have a lot of good and deep insights on the SGP property market, can I ask your views on tenanting of property? Do you have any experience with this and is it worth the trouble to find tenants, collect rental and resolve all the issues that come with tenanting one's property; or is it simply better to sell off the property at a gain and invest the surplus cash elsewhere?

Default Identity crisis

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTan
    Definitely not, but i view so many houses as a buyer that seller agent also recognize me and ask my agent if I am agent or buyer. Then he say i can be agent and ask me to join his team. Then guess what, my agent objected said I should join her team.
    Haha quite true - same for me. Somehow ppl think I'm an agent and I receive sms's about ppty on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by august
    "yi3 sai1 zou2", "si ang mo kia" and "spoilt brat" belongs to the same group (in condo version).. Rich or poor will have their fair share in this section.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Will property prices ever go back to the 2006 levels, when 500-600k can buy u a spacious 1250sqft 3bedroom unit.... I was looking at the quartz that time, but didn't buy because not enough funds.
    If the current property is building a bubble and this bubble happened to burst, I still doubt you can buy a 1250sqft 3 bedroom unit at Quartz. Btw, I not vested in Quartz.

But I would still be happy if it drop back to that level as I can buy 1 more, hehe. 500k+ for 1250 sq ft is cheap, but I would look for a smaller ones like 980 sq ft at other location if Quartz dont have small units, can get at 400k+ liao. Due to budget constraints also, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by wqmai
    If the current property is building a bubble and this bubble happened to burst, I still doubt you can buy a 1250sqft 3 bedroom unit at Quartz. Btw, I not vested in Quartz.

But I would still be happy if it drop back to that level as I can buy 1 more, hehe. 500k+ for 1250 sq ft is cheap, but I would look for a smaller ones like 980 sq ft at other location if Quartz dont have small units, can get at 400k+ liao. Due to budget constraints also, hehe.
    this is not impossible when the bubble burst. if the finance industries were not rescued by the trillion of $$, probably property is already at the 2006 price level now. developers (especially the smaller developer) are lucky to get away this time..

Quote Originally Posted by Douk
    this is not impossible when the bubble burst. if the finance industries were not rescued by the trillion of $$, probably property is already at the 2006 price level now. developers (especially the smaller developer) are lucky to get away this time..
    Then your sengkang/buangkok 5-room HDB will worth only 250k, STI will be at 1,000, it will be a disaster. Almost everybody will lose $$, you may even lose your job, be careful of what u wish for.

Quote Originally Posted by jitkiat
    Then your sengkang/buangkok 5-room HDB will worth only 250k, STI will be at 1,000, it will be a disaster. Almost everybody will lose $$, you may even lose your job, be careful of what u wish for.

you naive and ignorant 3 legged chap. no body is wishing for this kind of scenario. this is reality, just prepare for it.

P/S: you are just the exact kind of hdb upgrader that think you are on top of the world with that tiny condo in the suburb.

You guys can talk all days all nights. Posting angry thoughts towards each others. As what WD said

Life will go on

people will sell, people will buy.

I think the sellers are just making this opportunity to let go of their properties at a good price when the future look uncertain. And yes life does go on, ppl will sell and ppl will buy... but may I know what is the symptoms of a bubble?? Some ppl keep saying a bubble is forming (freaking me out! :P)

2nd wave of retrenchments possible as outlook remains uncertain
    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...437813/1/.html

Quote Originally Posted by novel
    I think the sellers are just making this opportunity to let go of their properties at a good price when the future look uncertain. And yes life does go on, ppl will sell and ppl will buy... but may I know what is the symptoms of a bubble?? Some ppl keep saying a bubble is forming (freaking me out! :P)

While I don't believe in prices going back to 2005/06 with STI below 1,400, I also don't believe in bubble. Stock market is current correcting itself. STI could go back to test 2,000. Guess sellers will be more willing to sell at more realistic price when stock market is bearish.

While I don't believe in prices going back to 2005/06 with STI below 1,400, I also don't believe in bubble. Stock market is current correcting itself. STI could go back to test 2,000. Guess sellers will be more willing to sell at more realistic price when stock market is bearish.
    I thought you always said S&P had passed the 200days....then something like shares will remain firm......only once in histroy when s&p.......

cut short the stories, now you said sti could go back to 2000??????

I thought you always said S&P had passed the 200days....then something like shares will remain firm......only once in histroy when s&p.......

cut short the stories, now you said sti could go back to 2000??????
    Yeah, chart is negative, Oil retreated to 67USD with resistance firmly established at 72USD. S&P is now back down below 200 d MA. This correction will be quite substantial. If this continues, property market will quickly cool off.

talking about stock market...any wise ones can advise why suddenly STI drop so much today? What bad news?

I like this thread so much like attending economics class haha.. :P

Sorry, where was the part where he wished for this to happen?

BTW in a moment of reflection.
    "200 day support line at 926" - smashed last night for S&P500.
    What does this translate to for local property now? Bearish of bullish?

Quote Originally Posted by EBD
    Sorry, where was the part where he wished for this to happen?

BTW in a moment of reflection.
    "200 day support line at 926" - smashed last night for S&P500.
    What does this translate to for local property now? Bearish of bullish?
    IMO, both buyers & sellers will cool down. This will allow higher transaction volume in subsale/resale market at more realistic price.

Quote Originally Posted by novel

in my opinion, buying based on sentiment and greed without any fundamental support, is a form of bubble.

You guys can talk all days all nights. Posting angry thoughts towards each others. As what WD said

Life will go on

people will sell, people will buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Douk
    in my opinion, buying based on sentiment and greed without any fundamental support, is a form of bubble.

those bought in 07/08 on sentiment and fundamental support where are they now?

those bought in 07/08 on sentiment and fundamental support where are they now?
    so many things could have happen to this group right, price is reasonably good then. those who have taken profit, are probably smiling watching all the arguments in this forum those who choose to keep for own stay, bought at reasonably good price are smiling at people paying a high premium for the same apartment, etc, etc.

but in early 2008, fundamental is already diminishing.... which leads to the leaking balloon in the property market. some (some are small developers) who bought in 08 are probably stuck then. With "god's help", they were somewhat rescued by this latest wave of bull run.. probably the last wave if economy doesn't improve further..

Interesting how sentiment seems to be changing.

Seems most of the sales are directly from developers. Sorry, prices are really out there. Seems alot of the price "increase" has come from developers dropping launch prices from their original goals in 2008 when no one would bite, then slowly raise by a few %. Hey presto prices are increasing..... so devious of them.

As such I started to look around at property in the secondary market again, but seems like owners have raised asking prices by 10-20%.
    I was informed by an old friend who is an agent that secondary market is still very quiet. Banks are willing to match valuation of new launches, but existing properties values are way below asking prices so people are buying from developers instead.
    Well , they can ask for whatever they want. A lot are trying their luck.

I will be viewing a few units this week, but the news of the past few days is giving me 2nd thoughts. Seems we could be in the middle of a bear market rally popping.

Now you know why recently, the developers, banks and valuers held talks with each other.

Seems most of the sales are directly from developers. Sorry, prices are really out there. Seems alot of the price "increase" has come from developers dropping launch prices from their original goals in 2008 when no one would bite, then slowly raise by a few %. Hey presto prices are increasing..... so devious of them.

As such I started to look around at property in the secondary market again, but seems like owners have raised asking prices by 10-20%.
    I was informed by an old friend who is an agent that secondary market is still very quiet. Banks are willing to match valuation of new launches, but existing properties values are way below asking prices so people are buying from developers instead.

I will be viewing a few units this week, but the news of the past few days is giving me 2nd thoughts. Seems we could be in the middle of a bear market rally popping.

that means that recent launch prices are fundamentally overvalued and artificially held up only by the valuer, bank, developer conspiracy theory?

If you think that there will be a bear market coming and affect the property prices downwards, it will not be possible unless market drop to 1600 level again. The reason is not due to stock market affecting the property price but the whole economy situation affecting both market by then. And when that happened, many will also giving property a second thought due to going forward ability to pay.

In stock market, there is a correction period which we are currently encountering. And this will not affect property prices.

The reason for property prices to move up and holding well is due to the new launches selling at higher price although already given a "discount".