Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't seem to find a suitable condo, suggestions?

Default Can't seem to find a suitable condo, suggestions?

I've been property hunting for 3-4 months already but can't find anything really suitable, so hoping the experts here may give some suggestions/advice. I've seen quite a few apartments over this period and there always seems to be something that doesn't quite fit my requirements. Either the place is too small, too far away, too expensive, poor layout, etc.

I admit I do have quite a few requirements (which is probably why I'm having such a hard time) so I will try to list them from most important to least.

1) Space - Must be at least 1,800 sq. ft. I do not care about balconies, gardens, roof terraces, etc. I would prefer all livable area if possible. 2 storey penthouse is ideal, but willing to consider 1 storey if layout is good. Also must be handicap friendly as my mom is wheelchair bound and she will be moving in with me. Minimum 4 bedrooms.

2) Location - Maximum 15 minutes drive to Novena area and easy access to get a taxi (ie. don't have to walk too far out to the road, not a must but it would be ideal). Best if it is walkable to food courts/supermarket/public transportation. Not a deal breaker but strongly preferred.

3) Freehold

4) I need to move in by end of Dec 09. Maximum age of property not more than 20 years.

5) Condos or Apartments are both OK as I do not really care about facilities.

My budget is around S$1.2 million.

Am I being unrealistic with my requirements + budget or do I just need to look harder? Thanks in advance for any help

Quote Originally Posted by HungryPillow
    I've been property hunting for 3-4 months already but can't find anything really suitable, so hoping the experts here may give some suggestions/advice. I've seen quite a few apartments over this period and there always seems to be something that doesn't quite fit my requirements. Either the place is too small, too far away, too expensive, poor layout, etc.

I admit I do have quite a few requirements (which is probably why I'm having such a hard time) so I will try to list them from most important to least.

1) Space - Must be at least 1,800 sq. ft. I do not care about balconies, gardens, roof terraces, etc. I would prefer all livable area if possible. 2 storey penthouse is ideal, but willing to consider 1 storey if layout is good. Also must be handicap friendly as my mom is wheelchair bound and she will be moving in with me. Minimum 4 bedrooms.

2) Location - Maximum 15 minutes drive to Novena area and easy access to get a taxi (ie. don't have to walk too far out to the road, not a must but it would be ideal). Best if it is walkable to food courts/supermarket/public transportation. Not a deal breaker but strongly preferred.

3) Freehold

4) I need to move in by end of Dec 09. Maximum age of property not more than 20 years.

5) Condos or Apartments are both OK as I do not really care about facilities.

My budget is around S$1.2 million.

Am I being unrealistic with my requirements + budget or do I just need to look harder? Thanks in advance for any help
    by psf, you are willing to pay 666 psf...that i feel is impossible now for anywhere near novena...for that matter D9/10/11 maybe D21/23 but maybe more than 15 mins drive..

i think you have requirements that conflict each other

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    by psf, you are willing to pay 666 psf...that i feel is impossible now for anywhere near novena...for that matter D9/10/11 maybe D21/23 but maybe more than 15 mins drive..

i think you have requirements that conflict each other
    Thanks for the reply

Actually, I've long since given up on looking in the Novena area and the surrounding prime areas. I know my budget will not allow for it at all.

I'm not really all that familiar with locations in Singapore, but I thought 15 minutes drive would put me somewhere like Yishun/Kovan/Hougang area? Or are those more than 15 minutes away? If it helps, don't factor in traffic as that's not really an issue.

Anyhow... given the psf, where would you suggest I concentrate on looking at? I've looked as far as Seng Kang and Kovan but still have not found anything suitable...

You can try The Legend along bukit timah which has big floor areas and not much of a balcony. but even that area is more than 1k psf. IMO 1.2 mil budget is not a lot if you are looking for a 1800sf unit which is quite big in highrise living terms. I think for prime D10 or 11, a 1.2 mil budget will get you a 900sf to 1200 plus sf unit max.

Thanks for the reply

Actually, I've long since given up on looking in the Novena area and the surrounding prime areas. I know my budget will not allow for it at all.

I'm not really all that familiar with locations in Singapore, but I thought 15 minutes drive would put me somewhere like Yishun/Kovan/Hougang area? Or are those more than 15 minutes away? If it helps, don't factor in traffic as that's not really an issue.

Anyhow... given the psf, where would you suggest I concentrate on looking at? I've looked as far as Seng Kang and Kovan but still have not found anything suitable...

was flipping through the edge and found a recent transaction for a 1916 sqft unit at lutheran towers for $1,000,000. only issue is that this place is rather old and is not FH. it should have 103 yrs left in its tenure.

this apartment is very well located, close to the future botanic gardens mrt station and should be within 15mins drive to novena.

If you think Yishun is 15mins drive than you can consider Yio Chu Kang area.

Price range from 500 -900psf range. A few freehold property there as well. Newest is Calrose, a very nice FH project. Or look out for soon to launch FH Meadows @ Pierce.

THE CALROSE YIO CHU KANG ROAD Condominium $11,010,000 2,024sqft 499psf Jan-09
    Last edited by AK47; 14-05-09 at 20:34.

Thanks for the infos/suggestions...

The Legend is definitely out of budget and I'm definitely not looking at prime areas that's for sure

Lutheran Towers looks interesting but I'd like to try and stay away from 99 years for now if I can.

I did hear about Calrose a few months ago but didn't see anything for sale. Did a quick search after your recommendation and I do see one unit that's 2,000+ sq. ft., but unfortunately it's only 3 rooms. I do like the development from what I can see in the pictures as well as location... couldn't find much info on Pierce @ Meadows, but if it's launching soon that means it won't be complete for at least 1-2 years right? That would push it past my timeframe...

Hmm, instead of going by 15-20 minutes to Novena, maybe this will be easier. If my price range is 600-700 PSF, and given my requirements, which areas or specific condos should I be looking at?

Thanks again for the help

Default Beacon Heights?

Have you considered Beacon Heights? Location is at D12.

As your mum is wheelchair bound, it might be good to get a first storey unit and the area would be about 169 sq m ( 3 bedrooms) and 193 sq m (3 bed rooms). There is even private parking for your unit. Think it should be within your budget as well...

Oh, and it is about 1 min drive to PIE and CTE...should be quite accessible for you as well...You can go to this website to check it out, www.beaconheights.com.sg

Thanks for the infos/suggestions...

The Legend is definitely out of budget and I'm definitely not looking at prime areas that's for sure

Lutheran Towers looks interesting but I'd like to try and stay away from 99 years for now if I can.

I did hear about Calrose a few months ago but didn't see anything for sale. Did a quick search after your recommendation and I do see one unit that's 2,000+ sq. ft., but unfortunately it's only 3 rooms. I do like the development from what I can see in the pictures as well as location... couldn't find much info on Pierce @ Meadows, but if it's launching soon that means it won't be complete for at least 1-2 years right? That would push it past my timeframe...

Hmm, instead of going by 15-20 minutes to Novena, maybe this will be easier. If my price range is 600-700 PSF, and given my requirements, which areas or specific condos should I be looking at?

Thanks again for the help
    www.meadows.sg

Michelle - Beacon Heights looks nice and the location is good, but I need 4 bedrooms and cannot wait until 2012 for construction to complete. I need to move in by December this year or the very latest January next year.

Jitkiat - Anymore info on Meadows @ Pierce? That website isn't very user friendly haha. It hasn't even launched yet so I assume it won't be available until a few years later...

Michelle - Beacon Heights looks nice and the location is good, but I need 4 bedrooms and cannot wait until 2012 for construction to complete. I need to move in by December this year or the very latest January next year.

Jitkiat - Anymore info on Meadows @ Pierce? That website isn't very user friendly haha. It hasn't even launched yet so I assume it won't be available until a few years later...
    Consider buying a resale condo at Kovan Melody or freehold condo around that area.

This fits your criteria quite well. Almost brand new (TOP for ard 6 mths), 4mins walk to Potong Pasir MRT, 1765sq ft, 4brdrooms, 2km to Novena, and it's freehold. I am sure u can close at $1.2M or thereabouts.

Since it's just listed ytd, u might have some luck with this.

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...or-sale-intero

Quote Originally Posted by new2mondrian
    This fits your criteria quite well. Almost brand new (TOP for ard 6 mths), 4mins walk to Potong Pasir MRT, 1765sq ft, 4brdrooms, 2km to Novena, and it's freehold. I am sure u can close at $1.2M or thereabouts.

Since it's just listed ytd, u might have some luck with this.

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...or-sale-intero
    Thanks for the suggestion, funny you mention Intero as I was actually looking at it last night, it's definitely on my list to view... I just hope the layout is good since the size is on the low end of my requirements.

Does new2mondrian = Parc Mondrian? I was actually eyeing the penthouse unit that was for sale but seems like the construction still has some time to go. I saw the site yesterday and I think it's only at 6 or 7 stories now...

Thanks for the suggestion, funny you mention Intero as I was actually looking at it last night, it's definitely on my list to view... I just hope the layout is good since the size is on the low end of my requirements.

Does new2mondrian = Parc Mondrian? I was actually eyeing the penthouse unit that was for sale but seems like the construction still has some time to go. I saw the site yesterday and I think it's only at 6 or 7 stories now...
    That's sharp of u! Basically when I made an offer Parc Mondrian, I stumbled upon this site and therefore signed up as username "new2mondrian". So much for being creative. heheheee....

Given Parc Mondrian is at the same psf range as Intero, in my PERSONAL (just in case i get flamed later) opinion, it is a better buy than Intero given the layout, the developer/main contractor and the plot size. But since u cannot wait and at the pace at which Parc Mondrian is being built, I seriously would not recommend it to you. Intero is pretty good as well, though the pricing I would not say is totally attractive to convince me to buy. But nonetheless, it suits all your criteria and if you buy it for self-stay, it is actually of a good pricing, a good location (in terms of price point) and proximity to MRT, and it is really walkable to the Potong Pasir town center (5mins walk).

My apt looks right into Intero penthse. So if u buy the Intero unit, my child can wave hello to yours. =)

My child attends a childcare near Novena, so we really do drive to Novena everyday. It is definitely less than 15mins drive (whichever way u take), be it via CTE or via Whampoa/Balestier.

haha... to be honest I also prefer the Woodleigh Close area, but there are only 3 condos there. I still feel Blossoms is a bit on the high side PSF wise, and Euro-Asia Park I quite like but don't see any penthouses for sale...

Any idea when Parc Mondrian is supposed to TOP? End of next year?

haha... to be honest I also prefer the Woodleigh Close area, but there are only 3 condos there. I still feel Blossoms is a bit on the high side PSF wise, and Euro-Asia Park I quite like but don't see any penthouses for sale...

Any idea when Parc Mondrian is supposed to TOP? End of next year?
    Woodleigh close is much more exclusive and quieter, but definitely much further from the MRT station as compared to Leicester. So really depends on what u want.

Parc Mondrian is supposed to TOP in Q1 2010. And I called Sembawang Properties a couple of months back, and they confirmed that this timeline is still on track. Can u wait till then? If yes, PM is not bad.

EuroAsia is currently undervalued given its HUGE land plot, low built up and it is enbloc potential (sales committee is formed) over the long term. But EuroAsia has been ard for quite some time and is dated. So really depends on what u want. If u are serious abt self stay, then Parc Mondrian being brand new is definitely more attractive (again to ME), and no medium term risk of en-bloc. Otherwise EuroAsia is good. It is the LAST freehold pty ard the Woodleigh area. When the international school/NEX Mall, Woodleigh commercial/mixed residential area is up, there is long term potential at EuroAsia's current price point of $5xx psf.

Just my 2 cents worth. I am not vested over EuroAsia though! I am a firm believer that leverage is a 2 way sword, so 1 roof over my head will suffice.

I might be able to wait a few months into 2010 if the unit is really worth it... is there a showflat for Parc Mondrian's penthouse? Hard to commit without seeing the layout first, but from the floorplans it looks like a lot of balcony area...

I might be able to wait a few months into 2010 if the unit is really worth it... is there a showflat for Parc Mondrian's penthouse? Hard to commit without seeing the layout first, but from the floorplans it looks like a lot of balcony area...
    erm, the showflat has closed. You can view all the various floorplans via SingaporeExpat website. Just search for parc mondrian, then click into floorplans.

Erm, I am not sure abt penthse floorplan. Obviously mine isn't a penthse unit, though I wished it is!

Perhaps other considerations would be the diff sizes (e.g. PM is 100 while Blossom is 240 although both FH) ... besides the timeline to move in by end-09 & being elder-friendly ...

PM sounds more exclusive bah ..

Quote Originally Posted by cheerful
    Perhaps other considerations would be the diff sizes (e.g. PM is 100 while Blossom is 240 although both FH) ... besides the timeline to move in by end-09 & being elder-friendly ...

PM sounds more exclusive bah ..
    what about City Square residences ?
    FH ... near Farrer station ..near novena

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    what about City Square residences ?
    FH ... near Farrer station ..near novena
    I viewed a couple units there, but the sizes were too small and price a bit high.

anyway, I timed the morning drive today from Leicester road (from the apt block beside Intero) to Novena area where I dropped off my child at his childcare. We set off at 8.16am, and we hit Novena Square at 8.25am; taking the Whampoa/Balestier route (the ERP gantry there charges 50cts as opposed to CTE which charged $2). It would have been even faster had we taken the CTE.

Just for your info in case u are seriously considering the Intero unit. For us, it's ju2 shou3 zhi1 lao2.

I viewed a couple units there, but the sizes were too small and price a bit high.
    How about those condos along Oxford Road near Farrer Park?

Quote Originally Posted by new2mondrian
    anyway, I timed the morning drive today from Leicester road (from the apt block beside Intero) to Novena area where I dropped off my child at his childcare. We set off at 8.16am, and we hit Novena Square at 8.25am; taking the Whampoa/Balestier route (the ERP gantry there charges 50cts as opposed to CTE which charged $2). It would have been even faster had we taken the CTE.

Just for your info in case u are seriously considering the Intero unit. For us, it's ju2 shou3 zhi1 lao2.
    haha awesome, only 9 mins drive... will definitely have to consider that area. Thanks very much for the timing

Quote Originally Posted by jitkiat
    How about those condos along Oxford Road near Farrer Park?
    I'm not very familiar with the area... got any specific condo names?

I'm not very familiar with the area... got any specific condo names? [/quote]

Kentish Court, Kentish Lodge and Kentish Green but I think all 99 LH

go read the thread on interno. quality sucks right for this development?

I also look at "Calrose", it does have some very large units.

Check out those floor plans such as Type PC1/2/3...

They are just huge and layout is well designed.

But no body sell them?

[quote=HungryPillow]
    I did hear about Calrose a few months ago but didn't see anything for sale. Did a quick search after your recommendation and I do see one unit that's 2,000+ sq. ft., but unfortunately it's only 3 rooms. I do like the development from what I can see in the pictures as well as location...

Quote Originally Posted by loopy
    I also look at "Calrose", it does have some very large units.

Check out those floor plans such as Type PC1/2/3...

They are just huge and layout is well designed.

But no body sell them?
    I don't think any Calrose units have 4 bedrooms, it's all 3 or below from what I saw in the floorplans.

I don't think any Calrose units have 4 bedrooms, it's all 3 or below from what I saw in the floorplans.
    definitely have...
    a colleague is staying in a 4BR unit there