Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Illuminaire (D9, Freehold, EL Development)

Quote Originally Posted by gfoo
    chialat, i drive a lau pok jepun chia - out of place here
    ah, another example of the very rich ones driving such cars

I know some uncles who own properties and drive taxi.
    Why?
    1. For mobility, use taxi for own use.
    2. Drive when free, kill time
    3. Good while wifey is shopping, earn some income too.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    What car you drive doesn't really matter.

I've a friend who drives a nice Audi (at least to me). But his income goes towards paying his property & car loan every month. He hardly has extra cash as savings.

I also know of a low profile miliionair who own multiple properties but he don't drive at all. I ask him why? He says it a depreciating asset, dn't want to waste money. Besides, transport system is too good here (Taxi, MRT, bus), there is no need to spend this kind of money. It's his own way of money management. This is his personal opinion of car. Doesn't mean that everyone has to be like him.

But it's a fact that when economy is bad, people get rid of their car as the firstt resort to reduce expenses. I've seen a few friends/relatives who have gone through this.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Congratulations! What model is that? New one or 2nd hand one?. Oh by the way, don't you know interest is so low now? The really rich will tell you that if they can they will take a 100% loan from the bank at 2% interest and use those money to earn 10% or more return. As the saying goes, "The clever uses other people's money to earn more money, the dumb uses their hand to earn more money."
    Another thing, why go for BMW of all cars? BMW is now like an Ah Beng's car. Are you one of their gang?

Quote Originally Posted by cartman
    lol, how to have foreclosures or topups when i do not even have any loans outstanding?

i just bought a beemer and paid cash and the SE said less than 1% of their customers paid cash

ah, another example of the very rich ones driving such cars
    i am not rich, i'm just very kiam siap. went to PM see how much they charge for servicing, pengz. went to malayan, servicing also pengz. went to cycle, seats too uncomfortable coz my backside quite big. go borneo - although car looks like shit, but got free servicing, seats quite soft, got huge discount, free fuel for a couple of years, overall cheaper somemore. my TCO is so low, and mileage so good, i think i will stick with jepun chia, dun care how people look at me.

Not sure what different market you are referring to. I only know 4 markets:
    (1) Those going for cheapest cars
    (2) Those going for family & "value-for-money" cars
    (3) Those going for prestige (good for "face") cars
    (4) The last market is those that show that they "don't have so much money but want to show off" cars.

For (1), people usually go for Kia & Hyundai.
    For (2), people go for Toyota, Honda, Nissan.
    For (3), obviously the more expensive they are the better (more face, especially those doing business). These are: Rolls Royce, Porsche, Maserati, Aston Martin, Lexus, Mercedes. Maserati have luxury saloon lah (not just 2-door sports) now about $410k.

For (4), people go for cheapest model of the branded cars or buy 2nd hand branded cars (cannot afford new branded cars). BMW is now Ah Beng's class and fall into (4). (The BMW 320i is just about $130k!).

The brands I mentioned are not exhaustive but they are representative of the different "markets".

Quote Originally Posted by august
    maserati is sports car leh, same category as aston martin & porsche

bmw, audi, mb are considered mass producers. diff market lor
    Last edited by teddybear; 23-04-09 at 13:16.

One more category to add:

(5) Performance addicts: chapalang brands e.g. Nissan GTR, Nissan 370z, Audi S5, etc. Excludes ricer cars like Evo and Scoobies which are the domain of the bengz

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Not sure what different market you are referring to. I only know 4 markets:
    (1) Those going for cheapest cars
    (2) Those going for family & "value-for-money" cars
    (3) Those going for prestige (good for "face") cars
    (4) The last market is those that show that they "don't have so much money but want face" cars.

For (1), people usually go for Kia & Hyundai.
    For (2), people go for Toyota, Honda, Nissan.
    For (3), obviously the more expensive they are the better (more face, especially those doing business). These are: Rolls Royce, Porsche, Maserati, Aston Martin, Lexus, Mercedes. Maserati have luxury saloon lah (not just 2-door sports) now about $410k.

For (4), people go for cheapest model of the branded cars or buy 2nd hand branded cars (cannot afford new branded cars). BMW is now Ah Beng's class and fall into (4).

Thanks for the addition.

One more category to add:

(5) Performance addicts: chapalang brands e.g. Nissan GTR, Nissan 370z, Audi S5, etc. Excludes ricer cars like Evo and Scoobies which are the domain of the bengz

No problem to talk about BMW lah. This is a property forum and when people after discussing about properties, some people want to show off that he has more money than others and first mentioned that he bought a "Beemer". It's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by kal
    yealor, who cares whether u owned 3 bmw or bmx b4... this is not car or bmw forum

i see nothing wrong with driving a jap car. anyway jap brands like honda and toyota, have already caught up in terms of packaging and performance with continental makes like VW and Ford in terms of packaging and performance. The Benz designs also seem passe when you compare it with the latest Honda Accord or Civic. BTW GM is in the red now, very soon will see other currently popular makes being overtaken by the japanese giant auto-makers....

Why you so humble? Many rich people (those that make their riches through honest hardwork and making money the honest and clean way) just drive jepun chia (more value-for-money)! In contrast, those 2nd generation "silver-spoon" or those who make quick & easy money will want flashy cars. (Quick & easy money other than striking lottery usually not so honest and clean one - there is no 'free lunch' in this world).

chialat, i drive a lau pok jepun chia - out of place here

While it is good to be frugal, but having multiple properties and yet didn't even want to afford a car is at too much extreme especially when typical family car that is value-for-money type is really cheap now with COE just at $7k+ (may be just 'peanuts' expenses to them?). This is no longer considered 'frugal' but 'miser'. Regardless of whatever, the convenience & comfort of a car cannot be compared to taking public transport (the buses and MRTs always so crowded - a lot of free perfumes and free bodily contacts (good only for those who enjoy it and some free fingering/touching - I am sure women hate it!)). Waiting time in some areas are also quite long and irregular. Does he have wife & kids? He is not even willing to give his wife and kids more comfortable life style? Don't understand why people want to save on such 'peanut' expenses on car? (we are not talking about spending on those so-called branded luxury car but just typical Toyota or Honda saloon or MPV). (May be he enjoy letting his wife and daughters let people touch here and there?).

What car you drive doesn't really matter.

I've a friend who drives a nice Audi (at least to me). But his income goes towards paying his property & car loan every month. He hardly has extra cash as savings.

I also know of a low profile miliionair who own multiple properties but he don't drive at all. I ask him why? He says it a depreciating asset, dn't want to waste money. Besides, transport system is too good here (Taxi, MRT, bus), there is no need to spend this kind of money. It's his own way of money management. This is his personal opinion of car. Doesn't mean that everyone has to be like him.

But it's a fact that when economy is bad, people get rid of their car as the firstt resort to reduce expenses. I've seen a few friends/relatives who have gone through this.

While it is good to be frugal, but having multiple properties and yet didn't even want to afford a car is at too much extreme especially when typical family car that is value-for-money type is really cheap now with COE just at $7k+ (may be just 'peanuts' expenses to them?). This is no longer considered 'frugal' but 'miser'. Regardless of whatever, the convenience & comfort of a car cannot be compared to taking public transport (the buses and MRTs always so crowded - a lot of free perfumes and free bodily contacts (good only for those who enjoy it and some free fingering/touching - I am sure women hate it!)). Waiting time in some areas are also quite long and irregular. Does he have wife & kids? He is not even willing to give his wife and kids more comfortable life style? Don't understand why people want to save on such 'peanut' expenses on car? (we are not talking about spending on those so-called branded luxury car but just typical Toyota or Honda saloon or MPV). (May be he enjoy letting his wife and daughters let people touch here and there?).
    Alamak. People not as extreme as you have described lah. Your thinking is too extreme lah.

You only know MRT & BUS? You missed out another transport. In Singapore, there is another form of transport with 4 wheels, the same size as a normal car but with a company logo on it. The spelling is "T", "A", "X", "I". If you put them together, it's the word "TAXI".

There is also no lack of luxury version if you need one. It's call "LIMOUSINE". You can chose to have Mercedes Cab, Maxi Cab, London Cab, Space MPV Taxi, Chrysler Cab, Limo Cab. People already spoilt for choices already my friend.

BTW, you just need to dial a number & it's waiting outside at the lobby in 5mins time. If you don't like to wait, you can call for advance booking.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an employee of any TAXI COMPANY.

Ops, sorry, have not used a taxi for don't know how long. The last time I booked a cab also have to wait for about half an hour, and endure poor attitude by the taxi driver. Then the ride is so jerky as he swings in and out and suddenly jammed brake so often (look damn dangerous and always like going to get into accident). I would prefer not to use a taxi unless no choice.

Alamak. People not as extreme as you have described lah. Your thinking is too extreme lah.

You only know MRT & BUS? You missed out another transport. In Singapore, there is another form of transport with 4 wheels, the same size as a normal car but with a company logo on it. The spelling is "T", "A", "X", "I". If you put them together, it's the word "TAXI".

There is also no lack of luxury version if you need one. It's call "LIMOUSINE". You can chose to have Mercedes Cab, Maxi Cab, London Cab, Space MPV Taxi, Chrysler Cab, Limo Cab. People already spoilt for choices already my friend.

BTW, you just need to dial a number & it's waiting outside at the lobby in 5mins time. If you don't like to wait, you can call for advance booking.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an employee of any TAXI COMPANY.

Ops, sorry, have not used a taxi for don't know how long. The last time I booked a cab also have to wait for about half an hour, and endure poor attitude by the taxi driver. Then the ride is so jerky as he swings in and out and suddenly jammed brake so often (look damn dangerous and always like going to get into accident). I would prefer not to use a taxi unless no choice.
    i like it! is shiok to ride in a taxi that drives like this

pity other drivers around it though ...

The super rich buy Rolls Royce and get their chauffeurs to drive them around and would prefer not to be seen. The half-past six rich will buy flashy cars like Porsche, BMW and Benz and drive around as a statement and want people to see their faces as they go about in their cars. The rich pppl who couldnt care less bout cars would just commute in a taxi everyday as a normal mode of transport. It is more expensive to travel everyday in a cab especially when you factor in the booking charges....

pwah just heard from agent that last weekend a low-flr unit at the sail transacted for about $1800psf or so. dunno whether true or not, look forward to the caveats

Are you sure the really rich take taxi and can endure the wait and see the 'face' of Singapore's taxi driver? They surely scare kidnaper will masquerade as taxi-driver right (unless they also live in some cheap house)?

Quote Originally Posted by franzmark
    The super rich buy Rolls Royce and get their chauffeurs to drive them around and would prefer not to be seen. The half-past six rich will buy flashy cars like Porsche, BMW and Benz and drive around as a statement and want people to see their faces as they go about in their cars. The rich pppl who couldnt care less bout cars would just commute in a taxi everyday as a normal mode of transport. It is more expensive to travel everyday in a cab especially when you factor in the booking charges....

pwah just heard from agent that last weekend a low-flr unit at the sail transacted for about $1800psf or so. dunno whether true or not, look forward to the caveats
    same agents who claimed all the rivergate sales in April (Where are they)? Why worry, fundamentals are still down
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8011907.stm

There will be more layoffs, rental is still headed down. The Sail still has so many unoccupied units. Lets just wait and see how long the holding power lasts. There will always be a couple of units in Singapore that will get ridiculous prices, because Singapore also attracts the Supra wealthy around the world (inherited wealth, who dont know crap about building wealth) who dont need to invest wisely. If it is for their own stay, than good for them.

As for the car debate here. I think a car in Singapore is a total waste of money. Driving is not fun here, and a car is not a status symbol, it is transport from A-B. Anyone can lease a nice car these days, so what. To draw conclusions on a person based on what car he drives is setting yourself off for over/under-estimating that person. Personally, I prefer a premium taxi service, as I can work, and do some networking without having to worry about driving. If you consider all costs of ownership of a car in Singapore (parking, maintance, insurance, servicing etc), and dont mind using MRT when possible or even the bus during off-peak, and walking a bit than using a Taxi is quite affordable. For me úsing a Taxi has reduced my stress levels, and because I sometimes choose to walk short distances now, I even lost some weight.

Car is not a total waste as you mention - at least they provide more conveniency and comfort. For the rich, they will definitely have their own "taxi" - their own car that comes with a chaffeur to drive them around - No stress, more comfortable ride than taxi, and don't have to wait for taxi, don't have to see the taxi driver's face, and safer too (because better and safer car, chaffeur cum body guard mah), somebody to drive their family members around and knowing they are in safe hand etc. What is the few $k a month to the rich? They won't even think about the cost of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by kalumder
    same agents who claimed all the rivergate sales in April (Where are they)? Why worry, fundamentals are still down
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8011907.stm

There will be more layoffs, rental is still headed down. The Sail still has so many unoccupied units. Lets just wait and see how long the holding power lasts. There will always be a couple of units in Singapore that will get ridiculous prices, because Singapore also attracts the Supra wealthy around the world (inherited wealth, who dont know crap about building wealth) who dont need to invest wisely. If it is for their own stay, than good for them.

As for the car debate here. I think a car in Singapore is a total waste of money. Driving is not fun here, and a car is not a status symbol, it is transport from A-B. Anyone can lease a nice car these days, so what. To draw conclusions on a person based on what car he drives is setting yourself off for over/under-estimating that person. Personally, I prefer a premium taxi service, as I can work, and do some networking without having to worry about driving. If you consider all costs of ownership of a car in Singapore (parking, maintance, insurance, servicing etc), and dont mind using MRT when possible or even the bus during off-peak, and walking a bit than using a Taxi is quite affordable. For me úsing a Taxi has reduced my stress levels, and because I sometimes choose to walk short distances now, I even lost some weight.

Congratulations! What model is that? New one or 2nd hand one?. Oh by the way, don't you know interest is so low now? The really rich will tell you that if they can they will take a 100% loan from the bank at 2% interest and use those money to earn 10% or more return. As the saying goes, "The clever uses other people's money to earn more money, the dumb uses their hand to earn more money."
    Another thing, why go for BMW of all cars? BMW is now like an Ah Beng's car. Are you one of their gang?
    don't be sour grapes lah

i have never bought second hand cars...i know, its stupid because used ones are usually better deals but that's just me

of course, the current interest for loan is very low...but still higher than what the bank pay me for cash deposits. i just dislike taking loans. the beemer is not for me to drive,why drive when you can be driven? sure, just go ahead and condemn a beemer and buy a toyota instead

anyway, these are spare cash to contribute to the economy. money for business is a separate bucket. by the way, i have never borrowed money for business too

(The BMW 320i is just about $130k!)
    obviously an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about, no wonder we have such idiots in the forum telling others that many tom dick and harrys with only 8K/mth combined household income can easily buy million dollar homes. and telling others that properties are cheap now and you will regret if you don't buy now

hi folks, this thread is so out-dated now....prepare for the next property wave coming this weekend...
    Yes, a re-launch @ River Valley Grove is starting this wkend.
    Pricing starts from 1500-1650psf up.

For details, pls visit my website www.lusholmz.com

this is the new illuminaire perhaps even better

Please check the price again, a BMW 320i is now about $130k! If you have paid much higher than that, then you would have become the carrot-head (an idiot in the seller's eyes)!.

obviously an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about, no wonder we have such idiots in the forum telling others that many tom dick and harrys with only 8K/mth combined household income can easily buy million dollar homes. and telling others that properties are cheap now and you will regret if you don't buy now

Thanks for telling me that. From your statement, I can be very sure that you cannot be the 'really rich' one.

don't be sour grapes lah

i have never bought second hand cars...i know, its stupid because used ones are usually better deals but that's just me

of course, the current interest for loan is very low...but still higher than what the bank pay me for cash deposits. i just dislike taking loans. the beemer is not for me to drive,why drive when you can be driven? sure, just go ahead and condemn a beemer and buy a toyota instead

anyway, these are spare cash to contribute to the economy. money for business is a separate bucket. by the way, i have never borrowed money for business too

I must say you are quite good at being sarcastic to the extent it appears diplomatic and yet without too direct. Like your style of putting a downwash on another case of wilful snobbery whom perhaps have tried too hard.

Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by ahlahdin
    That's BMW for you. Lots of poseurs who take low ownpayment, long tenure loans. These are the same people who can barely afford one. I dunno why, it is characteristic of the BMW brand's buyers in Singapore.

If I were you, I wouldn't pay cash for a new beemer. BMW's image is already such that people will just assume you're one of those 10 year loan, 0% downpayment poseurs who could ill-afford a BMW, when they see you on the streets. Might as well take a loan. You can't wear a sign on your beemer proclaiming that you paid cash, anyways.

In this premium conti, sub-exotic price segment, the smart money drive Maserati, MB, Volvo and maybe Jaguar. Carrotheads almost always drive Audi/Volkswagen, while dealers laughing to the bank. I draw the line at Porsche, despite knowing the dealer's obscene profit margins. Why? Same as Benz, the prestige of Porsche takes you a long way, plus the performance of the Cayman and 911 cars are better than anything BMW has to offer.

They say you can guess the character and personality of a person from the car he drives. Well I am sad and disappointed to say that the smart yuppie image of BMW drivers has long gone. BMW's are incredibly passe now. Jeremy Clarkson calls it a car driven by cocks (pricks).

Now when you see a BMW on the roads, it is highly likely the driver is some ah beng, ah pek or ah soh. Whatever happened to the stylish dashing young BMW driver profile?

Being a long term fan of BMW, having owned 3 in past years, just last year I switched to the 3 point star with a V8. It could have been due to my age, but more likely: 1) fed up with BMW's N52 engine, supposedly one of their best engines. 2) fed up with the BMW ah beng poseur image. Same reason why i'll never be caught dead in a GTi but i'll be happy to be seen in a Cooper S.

I'm not taking any sides here, but since we're on cars, i have to state categorically that a 320 (or 180k, A4, etc) are essentially south african tin cans with an engine, that people are paying through their teeth just for the brand. grossly underpowered. A 320 is to contis what a chery qq is to asian makes.

lexus lah, no horse run ~~

dunno much about the IS. is it any good?

dunno much about the IS. is it any good?
    dunno leh, looks smart ...
    after all the sharing by experts, think next one will ditch conti and aim toyota liao ~

I'm not taking any sides here, but since we're on cars, i have to state categorically that a 320 (or 180k, A4, etc) are essentially south african tin cans with an engine, that people are paying through their teeth just for the brand. grossly underpowered. A 320 is to contis what a chery qq is to asian makes.
    320 yes, MISA. However the current C180 and A4 are both from Germany. A4 has always been from germany while the previous generation C-Class (lower engined models) were from SA.