Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 32

Thread: Looking for property near to good primary school

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    12

    Default Looking for property near to good primary school

    I have a budget of around 1M for a 3 bedder and would want my property to be within 1Km of any good primary school (boys) e.g. SJI etc..

    Property age / no facilities / not near MRT/ are not a problem as long as it is within 1km school radius. Any gurus can advice?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mooomooo
    I have a budget of around 1M for a 3 bedder and would want my property to be within 1Km of any good primary school (boys) e.g. SJI etc..

    Property age / no facilities / not near MRT/ are not a problem as long as it is within 1km school radius. Any gurus can advice?
    1st

    pls shortlist good school

    Might be good school to other, might not be yours.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mooomooo
    I have a budget of around 1M for a 3 bedder and would want my property to be within 1Km of any good primary school (boys) e.g. SJI etc..

    Property age / no facilities / not near MRT/ are not a problem as long as it is within 1km school radius. Any gurus can advice?
    There are some old properties aroung SJI junior with enbloc potential. If you can get it at a decent price and stay there for the next 5 to 10 years, who knows, you might be the next lucky one.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Acer
    1st

    pls shortlist good school

    Might be good school to other, might not be yours.
    Hi, I do not have a specific selection of good schools, as long as it is deem as "good" school in general context, i will be happy already.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AAA
    There are some old properties aroung SJI junior with enbloc potential. If you can get it at a decent price and stay there for the next 5 to 10 years, who knows, you might be the next lucky one.
    Hi AAA, any specific property you refering to?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Nanyang Primary: can try those around Coronation and Duchess (D10) or Shelford and Watten (D11). Shelford and Watten are next to RGPS also, for those with daughters, can walk.

    ACS Barker Rd: can try those at Goldhill Ave/Mt Rosie (D11, not Goldhill Plaza which is further away), Balmoral (D10), Chancery Lane, Newton (which is in three parts D9,10,11).

    SCGS: can try Stevens Road (D10), Whitley Rd (D11), and Trevose area (D11). Trevose area is just across the road from SCGS, don't even have to drive.

    MGS: can try that stretch with Tessarina (D10), Nexus, Gardenvista (D21).

    Henry Park: can try Mt Sinai area (D10). Many condos there can try for below $1000 psf.

    SJI Junior: can try Lincoln Rd area or Novena area. Actually SJI Junior quite near ACS Barker with only Chancery Lane and Thomson Rd separating the 2 so a good bet would be something in between.

    For more info you can look at street directory dot com to determine how close. Good luck!
    Last edited by ahlahdin; 09-03-09 at 18:28.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mooomooo
    Hi AAA, any specific property you refering to?
    Look along Derbyshire Road, 2 mins walk to SJI junior. There is this old property (if you don't mind about 30 years), no facilities. The apartment is very spacious and squarish (no wastage of space).

    I went to see it at the peak of the market during the last enbloc cycle(price outside my budget), the price should have come down now. If you buy it for your own stay (for your kids), I hope by the time they graduate (7 years later), it is ripe for the next cycle. My theory is, there are less old enbloc potential properties in the market right now (I mean the one with really good potential, FH, not too many units and not a big site-developers can afford to buy). If you believe the wave will come back, not now but 5-10 years' time, and you can wait out, you can consider it. Good luck to your search.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    149

    Default

    hi
    before buying, you can check out the distance of the school to the property at: http://www.inlis.gov.sg/Layout/HomePage.aspx

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Hi!
    Me also a mother looking for new home near good primary school.

    You may wanna check the schools' P1 statistics before buying the property - for some popular primary schools like Nanyang, MGPS, staying within 1 km does not mean that you are guaranteed a place. You will still have to go through the balloting process.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    149

    Default

    me too. a mummy of a girl and a boy looking for a place within 1km from a good school.
    actually i prefer brand new apartment so now looking at one st michael for the boy (within 1km from st andrews) or pavilion 11 (within 1km from SJI jnr)
    as for the girl, worry again when it is her turn! (she is now 4 months old)

    meanwhile, will sign up to be parent volunteer too

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    45

    Default

    A good school may not be good for mediacore kids. More importantly , do a detail analysis on your kids before location of the school to enrol.


    Quote Originally Posted by absolutwild
    me too. a mummy of a girl and a boy looking for a place within 1km from a good school.
    actually i prefer brand new apartment so now looking at one st michael for the boy (within 1km from st andrews) or pavilion 11 (within 1km from SJI jnr)
    as for the girl, worry again when it is her turn! (she is now 4 months old)

    meanwhile, will sign up to be parent volunteer too

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by i12buyhouse
    A good school may not be good for mediacore kids. More importantly , do a detail analysis on your kids before location of the school to enrol.
    I don't think any parents will think that their kids are mediacore.

    you may find this useful.
    http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/co...ked-popularity

    For parent volunteer, not every school accept PV and it's definitely not easy work too.

    Things that we do for our kids.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anna
    I don't think any parents will think that their kids are mediacore.

    That is the problem for parents today. Like it or not , every kid is different in ability to learn and absorb. Parent should really determine their kid an average performer or gifted spot…?. Hence prepare then for a suitable platform in their study. A child will develop better and happier in a suitable environment , thus build up a more positive character which is far better than their paper qualification.

    I do agree to find a school that is nearer to home, in order to save traveling time for the kid to have more time to sleep. However , the choice of the school should not be based standard of the school without considering the kid capability. You can never produce a scholar by throwing an average kid in RI .

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anna
    I don't think any parents will think that their kids are mediacore.

    you may find this useful.
    http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/co...ked-popularity

    For parent volunteer, not every school accept PV and it's definitely not easy work too.

    Things that we do for our kids.
    Hi Anna, your link is very useful! Care to share more?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9

    Default

    "A child will develop better and happier in a suitable environment , thus build up a more positive character which is far better than their paper qualification."

    I agree with you totally. The reason that I want to send my daughter to a good primary school is not so much that she will become president scholar one day. (well, it's good if she can be one someday ) I am prepared to send her overseas for university if she cannot make it to the local ones.

    I want her to be with peers who are from similar family background. I want her to speak proper english and chinese. I want her to have a certain outlook in life. Of course sending her to a good primary school does not guarantee these things, but there are just something that a "neighbourhood" (so-called) primary school cannot provide.

    I came to Singapore to study in a top JC more than 10 years ago - my schoolmates are from all kind of primary/secondary schools. Those who did well in their A levels - but lack the proper speaking/PR skills - are generally doing just OK. Those who excel are those who are from good primary/secondary schools. They may not have done well for their A level exams, but they have the right friends, right attitude, right way of speaking etc. And these are what counts in life, really.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7

    Default

    do u mean 'mediocre'??

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muffin_lover
    do u mean 'mediocre'??
    How dare u correct their engrish? Were u from a top primary school? I'm sure they meant mediacore, whatever the heck that is.

    I have argued with agents who kept insisting that 'Gloucester' is pronounced Glow-Chest-Ter; 'Carlisle' is pronounced Car-Lease; 'Levelz' is Level-Zee; 'Cote d'azur' is Kotex-De-Zoo... and so on. The irritating thing was that the agents always looked so damned pleased with themselves after correcting me...

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    366

    Default

    The agent who mangled the word 'Gloucester' even had the gall to educate me on the pronunciation of the word, saying "It is British, u know?" while looking mightily pleased with himself... I laughed my ass off after that.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7

    Default

    hmm, i tot this thread is about 'top JC & primary school' mah.. mediacore??

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    149

    Default

    hey... just curious to find out how ppl pronounce leicester here? lei-ces-ter? or les-ter? or lei-cas-ter. haha... cos one of the agents i spoke to say lancaster

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7

    Default

    is les-ter. like lescester Sq in london..

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    149

    Default

    sigh... headache! just sold our flat. looking for a 3-bedder condo within 1km to st andrews or SJI jnr or any good co-ed schools... also want a project that is going to TOP in the next 6 months (prefer brand new apartments). and one with full condo facilities.
    any suggestions?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    12

    Default how about lake shore close to Rulang Primary School

    Quote Originally Posted by mooomooo
    I have a budget of around 1M for a 3 bedder and would want my property to be within 1Km of any good primary school (boys) e.g. SJI etc..

    Property age / no facilities / not near MRT/ are not a problem as long as it is within 1km school radius. Any gurus can advice?
    Thought Lake shore is a good choice coz it is not only close to Rulang primary school but also 3min walk to lakeside mrt. Pls call me if u r intersted 8428 1056 jessica sun.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    20

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by absolutwild
    me too. a mummy of a girl and a boy looking for a place within 1km from a good school.
    actually i prefer brand new apartment so now looking at one st michael for the boy (within 1km from st andrews) or pavilion 11 (within 1km from SJI jnr)
    as for the girl, worry again when it is her turn! (she is now 4 months old)

    meanwhile, will sign up to be parent volunteer too
    I was in the same shoes as you....wanted a good primary school for my boy, and one for my girl. Also wanted schools that were single gender, since the literature seemed to suggest that kids that age were better off with classmates of the same gender. Settled for a property within 1 km of both SCGS and ACPS.

    Got my kids in both the above schools. They have both settled in nicely. Have not regretted my decision since.

    When making your decision, look at historical data. Try not to buy a place where there is always balloting even for those within 1 km (Rosyth and St Nics are famous for aspiring entrants always having to ballot).

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    its difficult to get a 3-bedder for a $1m now
    2-bedder is possible for new project but smaller ones. park infinia at wee nam is calling for $1200psf. paying more for the huge land area.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    149

    Default

    wow! you are so lucky! managed to get them both into very good schools... which property did you buy in the end? did you do parent volunteer?

    Quote Originally Posted by leoman
    I was in the same shoes as you....wanted a good primary school for my boy, and one for my girl. Also wanted schools that were single gender, since the literature seemed to suggest that kids that age were better off with classmates of the same gender. Settled for a property within 1 km of both SCGS and ACPS.

    Got my kids in both the above schools. They have both settled in nicely. Have not regretted my decision since.

    When making your decision, look at historical data. Try not to buy a place where there is always balloting even for those within 1 km (Rosyth and St Nics are famous for aspiring entrants always having to ballot).

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by absolutwild
    wow! you are so lucky! managed to get them both into very good schools... which property did you buy in the end? did you do parent volunteer?
    Just have to plan in advance.

    My condo is a small one at Robin Road. Most of the families in my condo also did the same thing.

    Did not do any volunteering alto I put my name down. The school never called. Just have to be within 1 km I guess.

    Try to look at the data for the last couple of years and select your target school. Good luck with your search.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    24

    Default

    I have a 2 bedder over at garden at bishan ... now tenanted out for SGD2900 for another year.

    it is within 1KM of Aitong Primary School.

    if you are interested, please do drop me a PM on your offer

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    149

    Default

    hi
    always thot ACS and SCGS not easy schools to get in... and property around there is VERY expensive. thats why never thot of getting a property there.
    but any property around there to recommend? maybe a 2 bedder? can buy to rent out perhaps...

    Quote Originally Posted by leoman
    Just have to plan in advance.

    My condo is a small one at Robin Road. Most of the families in my condo also did the same thing.

    Did not do any volunteering alto I put my name down. The school never called. Just have to be within 1 km I guess.

    Try to look at the data for the last couple of years and select your target school. Good luck with your search.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by absolutwild
    hi
    always thot ACS and SCGS not easy schools to get in... and property around there is VERY expensive. thats why never thot of getting a property there.
    but any property around there to recommend? maybe a 2 bedder? can buy to rent out perhaps...

    Actually i think it should be easier to get into good school in that area compared to HDB estate.

    The place is less densely populated (no HDB) and less affordable, and a few good schools instead of 1 to choose from .

Similar Threads

  1. Bukit Timah a hit with its primary school belt
    By reporter2 in forum Singapore Private Condominium Property Discussion and News
    Replies: 5
    -: 16-04-14, 22:54
  2. Property market...PRIMARY School analyst..
    By radha08 in forum Singapore Private Condominium Property Discussion and News
    Replies: 6
    -: 25-08-12, 15:59
  3. New "IN" thing beside the location to help boost property price - Primary school?
    By ay123 in forum Singapore Private Condominium Property Discussion and News
    Replies: 44
    -: 27-07-12, 14:46
  4. FH condo Near Primary School. Need your advice
    By rattydrama in forum Singapore Private Condominium Property Discussion and News
    Replies: 262
    -: 03-08-11, 00:05
  5. Looking for property near to good primary school
    By mooomooo in forum District 5
    Replies: 15
    -: 31-03-09, 08:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •