Thread: License condo managing agents too

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default License condo managing agents too

http://www.straitstimes.com/Think/St...ry_347399.html

March 8, 2009

YOUR LETTERS

License condo managing agents too

I refer to the article, 'License all agents, say experts' (Feb8). The move is long overdue.

Not only should estate agents be licensed, but managing agents - those who manage developments such as condominiums - should be licensed as well.

The authorities here have traditionally been reluctant to pursue this course of action, preferring that these two professions self-regulate. But the two industries are just not ready for self-regulation.

We need compulsory licensing, that is, statutory regulations.

The administration for licensing could be delegated by legislation to a body such as the Institute of Estate Agents for estate agents, and to the Association of Property and Facility Managers for managing agents, the same way that the medical and law professions accredit or license their members.

Teo Poh Siang

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Gruelling time with managing agent over condo repairs

http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BFor...ry_347924.html

March 10, 2009 Tuesday

Gruelling time with managing agent over condo repairs

I REFER to Mr Teo Poh Siang's letter on Sunday, 'License condo managing agents too'. My gruelling experience with my management corporation, which comprises full-time staff from the managing agent, attests to the urgent need for such a licence.

Some four years ago, I complained to the management corporation about water seepage from an external wall after heavy downpours and sought its help to repair damaged wall tiles. Three staff members representing the managing agent came, at different times, to inspect the wall. The management corporation subsequently wrote that it was calling for quotations to fix the problem. However, it wrote again later to say it would put the matter on hold as the building was due to be repainted. It proposed that the painting contractor should give the exterior wall a coat of sealant before repainting.

When seepage occurred again after the repainting, I called to complain, only to find that the three staff who handled the matter had left, one after another. I sent a registered letter to the managing agent's chairman and copied it to the management corporation. Neither has responded.

Subsequently, the agent's new staff began the cycle of investigations again. But this time, there were signs of inter-floor seepage. The managing agent advised me to work with the owner of the upper unit to fix this first. I did that and re-routed my water pipe away from the wall as well, to help identify the cause of the seepage.

Finally, the managing agent agreed to the repairs, only if I could prove the seepage originated externally. I was given the name of a surveyor to arrange a scan profile of the wall, but the surveyor backed out and I was left in the lurch again.

So, yes, please license managing agents as well.

Foo Sung Bay (Mdm)