Thread: Agent refused house viewing.

Default Agent refused house viewing.

i am new to this forum, but would like some advice.

There's an ad on the internet for a unit in a condo that I like. I called up the agent and asked for a house viewing, he refused and said that there are too many people viewing for fun and they are only offering 60% of the asking price. He asked me to look around the area first, if i like the condo, then call him again for a house viewing.

I told him I am a serious buyer, and I am prepared to pay close to the asking price. I have been inside the condo before (i have friends staying there) so I want to see the INSIDE of the unit before I can make an offer.

Then he asked me whether I am staying in the condo now, and told me the owner has rejected several offers already, that he needs to "screen the house viewers so not to waste his time and make the owner angry".

I asked him how would he screen the viewers? Do you want me to fax over my income tax assessment form? or my bank account statement? He then sounded irritated and hanged up.

I really like this condo, and there aren't that many units for sale in the market. This one is asking for a very reasonable price. So what do you all think? should I call this agent again? or should I forget about it and wait for the next available unit?

Quote Originally Posted by anna
    i am new to this forum, but would like some advice.

There's an ad on the internet for a unit in a condo that I like. I called up the agent and asked for a house viewing, he refused and said that there are too many people viewing for fun and they are only offering 60% of the asking price. He asked me to look around the area first, if i like the condo, then call him again for a house viewing.

I told him I am a serious buyer, and I am prepared to pay close to the asking price. I have been inside the condo before (i have friends staying there) so I want to see the INSIDE of the unit before I can make an offer.

Then he asked me whether I am staying in the condo now, and told me the owner has rejected several offers already, that he needs to "screen the house viewers so not to waste his time and make the owner angry".

I asked him how would he screen the viewers? Do you want me to fax over my income tax assessment form? or my bank account statement? He then sounded irritated and hanged up.

I really like this condo, and there aren't that many units for sale in the market. This one is asking for a very reasonable price. So what do you all think? should I call this agent again? or should I forget about it and wait for the next available unit?
    I would say ask him to fly kite... they are agent more professional than him...

post his number online.......would like to call him on behalf of you...

sounds like a noob agent lol
    since he could not tell you the owner's criteria for screening viewers and is not prepared to entertain you (hang up & heck care u), i guess u either move on or take the insult and call back lor

Quote Originally Posted by Party
    i was going to suggest that too haha

Quote Originally Posted by august
    i was going to suggest that too haha
    Ah... this may not the fault of the agent. He maybe getting pressure from Seller.

Quote Originally Posted by isaaclim
    Ah... this may not the fault of the agent. He maybe getting pressure from Seller.
    I agree too, nowadays, with the curent crisis, many buyers trying their luck and offering ridiculously low prices, hoping those desperate sellers will budge. Agents are left stranded between stubborn seller and difficult buyer.

Many buyers are just browsing and are not serious.

If you are really keen, bring your chequebook and make an appointment again.

Quote Originally Posted by isaaclim
    Yes. I agree with you. Remember when I sold my flat last year, though my agent knew my target price, he bought those buyers that had a big price delta to view my flat. Can be very irritating at times. At last, we came to an agreement that he will only bring buyers to view my house should the price delta not exceeded 15-20K. Finally, he closed the order very close to my target price.

Pls lah ... this is the behaviour of the market. when time was good , seller also quoting unrealistic prices. Worse still owner would tell u that u r $50psf short while u ready to handover your cheque.

Get a more professional agent, tell him the unit address. He might have a way to help u rather then going back to the stupid agent. Remember , this is a buyer market.

Quote Originally Posted by 2004civic
    I agree too, nowadays, with the curent crisis, many buyers trying their luck and offering ridiculously low prices, hoping those desperate sellers will budge. Agents are left stranded between stubborn seller and difficult buyer.

I usually do what the agent have suggested..
    That is I called up agent for the exact house address..
    Take a look around the surroundings and exterior..
    And if I'm interested, I called the agent down for viewing.

Most agents I called have been quite understanding and have given me the address of the house.

I would think the agent might have gotten scolding from the owner for bringing too many people to view for fun..

So , the fault lies with the owner. want to sell but does not tolerate people viewing for fun.. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by i12buyhouse
    Remember , this is a buyer market.
    buyers' market so what? if i'm a seller, I won't give a flying fk. pay my price or fk off.

similarly in a sellers' market, if i'm a buyer, I also won't give a fk what seller wants. it is my way or the highway.

Singaporeans are so dumb, always get manipulated by market trends and sentiment.

buyers' market or sellers' market its the same: no willing seller, no willing buyer.

Maybe the agent is blocking all potential buyers, and holding unit for one that will give him more commission under table. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by fourth
    Maybe the agent is blocking all potential buyers, and holding unit for one that will give him more commission under table. Maybe.
    I remember couple of days/weeks back where there was a case where an agent colluded with a buyer such that the owner will only get one offer and that offer is that colluding buyer. After a while, the agent managed to convince the seller that the colluding buyer offer was indeed the best after several weeks/months.

A few months later, the original seller realised the house he sold for was flipped for a much higher price. He then took the agent (and the colluding buyer?) to court. I believe the court awarded the justice required and the agent and colluding buyer was made to compensate damages. I understand the agent was from ERA.

Interesting how deals like this gets inked.

Oh is it?
    I was intending to offer agent under-table deal of $10k for every $100k bargain off the seller's price.

So, now cannot do this type of deal ah?? sobsob

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    Oh is it?
    I was intending to offer agent under-table deal of $10k for every $100k bargain off the seller's price.

If your proposition is indeed accepted by the agent, do you really find that a good deal ??

Oh is it?

This is no different from bribery. Is it worth doing this just to buy a property?

Depend if the agent is having a sole agent arrangement or allow to co-broke.

Assuming that it is the sole agent arrangement, he will have no reason to stop you from viewing as there will be a time frame for him to sell and he will rather "try" his luck to close the deal than not able to in this economic situation where seller more than buyer. Not sure how is the pricing for the unit and unless he try to do some under table arrangement. Meaning he already got a potential buyer at a certain "price" but place the adv to pacify the seller. When the seller is desprate, he then can "offer" this buyer to close the deal.

If he has allow to co-broke, then it will be easy. Just look for a trust worthy agent to help you approach him instead.

Last method will be to place an adv to want to buy a unit at XXX and ask interested owner to contact you to deal directly.

I usually do what the agent have suggested..
    That is I called up agent for the exact house address..
    Take a look around the surroundings and exterior..
    And if I'm interested, I called the agent down for viewing.
    I would love to do that, but my experience is that agents are usually unwilling to reveal the exact house address, fearing that the buyer will contact the seller directly.

Quote Originally Posted by vin002
    Depend if the agent is having a sole agent arrangement or allow to co-broke.

If he has allow to co-broke, then it will be easy. Just look for a trust worthy agent to help you approach him instead.

Last method will be to place an adv to want to buy a unit at XXX and ask interested owner to contact you to deal directly.
    I think it may be a sole agent arrangement, because currently there are only two units from this condo that are on sale in the market. ( i am google-ing the condo name and reading the classified almost every day). One is selling slightly at a price higher than my budget, and there are many ads by many different agents. This one that I like is selling at a very good price, and there's only ONE ad by this snobby agent.

I was thinking of sending letters to all the units in the condo, asking them whether they are keen to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by 2004civic

When this agent asked me for my budget on the phone, I can just anyhow say a very high figure. I can even show this agent my bank account statement - I have the downpayment 20% all in cash. The point is, I am serious about this viewing, and I cannot offer a price unless I have view the house. (looking at the condition of the house, the direction, the neighbours etc) I don't want to make an offer and then retract it later.

If the agent had asked me to fax over my bank account statement or payslip, I would be happy to do that, just to prove that I have $$$ and not just "viewing for fun". But he was so nasty right from the start of the phone call. (My guess is that he was just scolded by the owner? I don't know.)

Default Half hearted buyer - seller

The problem is that seller probably pissed off by non serious viewers.

In your case I'd suggest you have a concall with buyer and agent and introduce yourself. At least he can hear from tone of your voice that you are sincere.

I can understand the frustration on both sides. But this is inevitable. Now the problem is that seller is half-heared at low price and buyer is half-hearted to commit even at low price. Many situations like this.

Default half hearted

I myself am in this situation.

My apt in prime area is v low price now. Really wondering if I should sell and put my money in bank at < 1% interest or just keep the apt. Think abt it. Not easy decision for me. The going price is already at 2006 levels. So I am wondering should I sell or hold. Some buyers come and waste my time. Just look see look see.

If I am leveraged and desperate then it's a different scenario. In that case I would have dumped the ppty a few months back. Problem now is many of the desparate sellers are already out.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

If you don't need the money, why sell at a low price (as what you think so too)? With massive money printing on the way, large inflation is a matter of time, not whether it will happen. Your property is your best hedge against inflation due to money printing.

Quote Originally Posted by Localite

My apt in prime area is v low price now. Really wondering if I should sell and put my money in bank at < 1% interest or just keep the apt. Think abt it. Not easy decision for me. The going price is already at 2006 levels. So I am wondering should I sell or hold. Some buyers come and waste my time. Just look see look see.

If I am leveraged and desperate then it's a different scenario. In that case I would have dumped the ppty a few months back. Problem now is many of the desparate sellers are already out.

Quote Originally Posted by Party
    http://pakseng.realink21.com/

seems like he is his own boss. Otherwise I would have written a complain letter to his company.

Quote Originally Posted by Localite

i guess if can hold just hold lor... ride out the storm and wait for the next upturn, after all pty investing is for the long term.