Thread: Superfast shifts

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Superfast shifts

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...17911,00.html?

Published February 7, 2009

Superfast shifts

PARALLEL importer Vincar Pte Ltd has been offering the BMW 335i Coupe with the seven-speed sports automatic transmission since last month and it says those who have bought it so far appreciate the performance edge it has over the 335i Coupe with a conventional automatic transmission.

Unlike the six-speed Steptronic gearbox with a torque converter, the double clutch transmission (DCT) has faster and crisper gear changes. The reason is that as one gear is being disengaged, the next gear is already in position, thus minimising loss of torque with the uninterrupted transmission of power.

Along with an electronic gear lever on the centre console, the 335i with DCT also has gearshift paddles on the steering wheel for manual changes. Press or pull one of them and the DCT shifts more rapidly.

The six-speed auto box was no slacker, but the DCT makes it seem almost lazy. As a result, the 335i Coupe feels more responsive. The new transmission also makes going flat out smoother and easier. If there is any doubt, the 335i Coupe with DCT does the zero to 100 kmh sprint in 5.4 seconds, or 0.3 seconds faster than with the conventional six-speed auto.

The 335i Cabriolet, which VinCar also offers for an extra $19,000, accomplishes it in 5.7 seconds.

The principle of the double-clutch transmission has its roots in motor racing, where shifting up at full throttle without interruption of traction saves a few fractions of a second. BMW says DCT was designed for engine speeds of up to 9,000 rpm and torque levels of up to 600 Nm. It is therefore suited to the 335i coupe/convertible's high-revving inline six-cylinder engine.

But because the gear changes are also jerk-free, DCT offers the same comfort as a car with a conventional automatic transmission.

SPECS

BMW 335i Coupe with DCT
    Engine 2,979cc inline-6 turbocharged
    Transmission 7-speed double clutch
    Max power 306 hp @ 5,800 rpm
    Max torque 400 Nm @ 1,300 rpm
    0-100 kmh 5.4 secs
    Top speed 250 kmh (governed)
    Price $210.988 (with COE)
    Contact Vincar Pte Ltd
    Tel: 6473-1119

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...17908,00.html?

Published February 7, 2009

Double happiness

BMW's double clutch transmission which made its debut in the M3 is now available in a more ordinary though still very high-end version of the 3 series - the 335i. By Samuel Ee

VOLKSWAGEN first introduced it in its production cars, then Porsche. Now it is BMW's turn to unveil its own double clutch transmission. Known as DCT for short, it made its debut here in the M3 when the souped-up version of the 3 Series was imported by authorised distributor Performance Motors Ltd with this transmission last July.

Now, it is available in a more ordinary though still very high-end version of the 3 Series. The 335i with DCT arrived last month but minus the M3's DCT Drivelogic and its 11 electronically controlled driving programs.

The 335i's seven-speed sports automatic transmission with double clutch - called DKG in German - is only to be found in the Coupe and Convertible versions.

While the current 3 Series Sedan underwent a facelift late last year, the two-door versions eschewed cosmetic changes and were instead endowed with this brilliant twin-clutch gearbox. But DCT is only mated to the sweet three-litre, six-cylinder twin turbo engine. Lesser models do not get it. For now.

On the 335i Coupe and Convertible, the DCT with its two wet clutches replaces the six-speed Steptronic auto with torque converter, which means the only other option available is the six-speed manual gearbox.

Like the X6 and the new 7 Series, the DCT manifests itself in the cabin as an electronic gear selector lever but shaped a little differently.

At the base of the lever, there is also a Sport button. When pressed, it makes the accelerator pedal and gear shift response more aggressive. Like the previous conventional auto transmission, DCT offers those sensuously shaped aluminium gearshift paddles on the steering wheel for manual changes. Unlike the old auto gearbox, though, DCT shifts more quickly.

This is because there is no interruption of traction. In the double clutch set-up, as one gear is being disengaged, the next gear is already in position.

The result is that the 335i Coupe with DCT sprints from zero to 100 kmh in 5.4 seconds, or 0.3 seconds faster than with a conventional six-speed auto. Hence, dynamic performance is increased while retaining the convenience and comfort of an automatic transmission.

Fuel economy and exhaust emission levels also improve. BMW says these are even lower than those of a manual transmission model. DCT reduces the petrol consumption of the 335i by 5 per cent compared with the previous 335i model with a six-speed manual or automatic transmission.

According to the carmaker, the average fuel consumption of the 335i Coupe and 335i Convertible with DCT in the combined EU test cycle is 8.8 litres per 100 km (11.4 km per litre) and 9.1 litres per 100 km (11 km/l) respectively. A BMW is usually the very definition of a sporty drive. With DCT, this premise has been further enhanced in both manual or automatic modes. Plus it's helping to save the earth.

[email protected]

SPECS

BMW 335i Coupe/Convertible with DCT

Engine 2,979cc inline-6 turbocharged
    Transmission 7-speed double clutch
    Max power 306 hp @ 5,800 rpm
    Max torque 400 Nm @ 1,300 rpm
    0-100 kmh 5.4 secs / 5.7 secs
    Top speed 250 kmh
    Price $248,800 / $278,800 (both with COE)
    Distributor Performance Motors
    Tel: 6319-0100