Thread: Just leave me alone!

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Just leave me alone!

December 16, 2008

Just leave me alone!

WILL I ever get to live in peace?

My condominium’s third sales committee disbanded a few months ago. We thought we had seen the last of them due to the tough economic times. But I received a new circular in my mailbox last week, saying yet another sales committee wants to go en bloc. Just as I was heaving a sigh of relief and thinking that I could now renovate my apartment, too.

When will it end? Surely as a condo resident I have the right to peace and quiet in my abode for some length of time? I am past 60 years old, and in my twilight years, the thought of looking for a new environment troubles me greatly.

And if my condo could not go en bloc in good times, why on earth would anyone want to sell in bad times?

Could the authorities please revise the en bloc laws to include a realistic time bar on bothersome, repeated en bloc attempts, and to make it difficult to en bloc during a bad economy? If the price does not meet the desired en bloc price of two years back, no sale should be allowed.

Lee Siew Hua

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/293337.asp

Friday, December 19, 2008

A loophole,a headache

Letter from Yeo Han Tiong

I REFER to Lee Siew Hua’s letter “Just leave me alone” (Dec 16).

In the light of the economic downturn, many condos have shelved their en bloc plans. However, some sales committees (SCs) have failed to disband, despite having been in existence for more than a year. This is because of a loophole in the law where the lifespan of the SC starts ticking only a year from the date the Collective Sales Agreement is signed. Thus, technically, an SC can remain in force indefinitely if it delays the start of the signing of the agreement.

I hope the Law Ministry will review this. No subsidiary proprietor who votes in an en bloc committee does so with the understanding that theSC has carte blanche to remain in force for years, especially when market conditions change for the worse.

In my condo with its two failed attempts to en bloc, only about 25 per cent actually want an en bloc. This 25 percent constantly unsettle the others and start a process they have little hope of bringing to fruition. As it takes 80-per-cent approval for the sale, the current laws allowing an en bloc committee to be formed with only 20 per cent of the owners wanting the sale are wasteful, unsettling and time-consuming.

Perhaps the laws could be amended to having a 60- to70-per-cent mandate from the owners from the outset?

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/293909.asp

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

How to deal with pesky en blocs

Letter from Chong Wan Yieng

Head, Corporate Communications

Ministry of Law

WE REFER to the letters “Just leave me alone!” (Dec 16) by Lee Siew Hua and “A loophole, a headache” (Dec 19) by Yeo Han Tiong.

We would like to clarify that the legislation already allows the subsidiary proprietors of a strata-titled development to decide on the tenure of an en bloc sale committee. A sale committee may be dissolved by way of ordinary resolution at a general meeting of the management corporation.

Owners can therefore vote on the dissolution of the sale committee anytime, either at the annual general meeting or at an extraordinary general meeting of the management corporation. This approach provides flexibility to subsidiary proprietors to decide the term of the en bloc sale committee elected by them.

We thank the readers for their views.