Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: One Devonshire (D9, Freehold, Allgreen)

Default Espada

Novelty group win already. Just a few months back, Espada was supposed to be a 48 unit super luxurious condo of super big 3 and 4 bedrooms:

http://www.savills.com.sg/viewFile.aspx?id=1985

today, i received an sms saying there will be 1 blk of 32 storey, 233 units of 1, 1+1 and 2 bedders, launching soon. If its the same plot of 38,300sq ft of land, these are going to be mickey mouse units and simple average would be 7 units a floor?! This is so going to cheapen the whole st thomas, devonshire, kiliney area. sigh...very extreme leh, going from one end to the other within a few months!

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Avoid St Thomas Walk area lah, not so convenient yet priced at a premium. Need to walk 1 big round to reach Somerset MRT station and Orchard. Furthermore so close to the SingTel BIG BIG antennas.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    Novelty group win already. Just a few months back, Espada was supposed to be a 48 unit super luxurious condo of super big 3 and 4 bedrooms:

today, i received an sms saying there will be 1 blk of 32 storey, 233 units of 1, 1+1 and 2 bedders, launching soon. If its the same plot of 38,300sq ft of land, these are going to be mickey mouse units and simple average would be 7 units a floor?! This is so going to cheapen the whole st thomas, devonshire, kiliney area. sigh...very extreme leh, going from one end to the other within a few months!

Agree & disagree.

I used to stay at one point where one devonshire now being built. That was easy to get to Somerset.
    A couple of friends stay on St Thomas walk. Not easy to get to Somerset.... however ... they all have cars. You can afford a condo there, transport is not your main concern. In fact inaccessibility is what makes it nice...

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Avoid St Thomas Walk area lah, not so convenient yet priced at a premium. Need to walk 1 big round to reach Somerset MRT station and Orchard. Furthermore so close to the SingTel BIG BIG antennas.

but actually, with so many developments coming up in st thomas, devonshire and killiney roads, can the single laned 2 way traffic at killiney road, devonshire road and st thomas walk support all this? i can imagine one big traffic jam for cars coming up and not much better for human traffic to mrt without proper pavements if we are going to have a 233 luxurious mickey mouse unit condo at st thomas

Quote Originally Posted by EBD
    Agree & disagree.

I used to stay at one point where one devonshire now being built. That was easy to get to Somerset.
    A couple of friends stay on St Thomas walk. Not easy to get to Somerset.... however ... they all have cars. You can afford a condo there, transport is not your main concern. In fact inaccessibility is what makes it nice...

the area is going to the dogs. it is supposed to be populated by the super rich. now it is going to be populated by super renters and super speculators. not good for singapore as a financial center.

Usually that sort of area mostly rented out one lah. So short walking distance to MRT is important as many of these expats don't drive. If not convenient, most won't rent there or demand lower rental. Those expats who drive usually also have much bigger housing allowance and won't rent mickey mouse units also lah. They usually go for those about $10k pm rental.

Agree & disagree.

precisely. while i thought their super big units were too exaggerated, the U-turn is also exaggerated. i thought something like one devonshire, more normal, size would be good for rental.

Usually that sort of area mostly rented out one lah. So short walking distance to MRT is important as many of these expats don't drive. If not convenient, most won't rent there or demand lower rental. Those expats who drive usually also have much bigger housing allowance and won't rent mickey mouse units also lah. They usually go for those about $10k pm rental.

precisely. while i thought their super big units were too exaggerated, the U-turn is also exaggerated. i thought something like one devonshire, more normal, size would be good for rental.
    instead of families, now you get drifters living in that area. Instead of people with senior positions in a multi-national firms, now you get low class people with two year contracts living there. stay away.

Ten years from now, that area will be famous for prostitutes serving lonely clientele.

i would think their asking rents would still be quite substantial but on a more detailed calculation, 1 bedder of 400+sq ft prob can ask for +/-2k depending on market conditions...its gonna be like alexis, except in d9...a dormitory in d9...

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad
    instead of families, now you get drifters living in that area. Instead of people with senior positions in a multi-national firms, now you get low class people with two year contracts living there. stay away.

i quite agree with you.. so sad ...

Wah so bad meh? Even considering a current low rental rate of $5 psf pm, a 500 sqft mickey mouse unit there will still cost at least $2500 pm which will be higher than what a person can get for a 2BR unit in the OCR area. Furthermore, there seem to be more focus and supervision in CCR region and hence less likely to get people partitioning the apt into several rooms to get higher rental yields. The same cannot be said about the 2BR or 3BR in OCR. Will probably see more drifters and low class people etc there in OCR than in CCR.

Ten years from now, that area will be famous for prostitutes serving lonely clientele.

Wah so bad meh? Even considering a current low rental rate of $5 psf pm, a 500 sqft mickey mouse unit there will still cost at least $2500 pm which will be higher than what a person can get for a 2BR unit in the OCR area. Furthermore, there seem to be more focus and supervision in CCR region and hence less likely to get people partitioning the apt into several rooms to get higher rental yields. The same cannot be said about the 2BR or 3BR in OCR. Will probably see more drifters and low class people etc there in OCR than in CCR.
    These low-level expats don't own a car, so they would prefer to live in CCR. Moreover, if you are right and that these low-level expats prefer to live in OCR, then where would the renters for these chicken coop condos in D9 come from? Wouldn't these chicken coop condos all remain empty and plunge the owners into personal bankruptcy?

either way, it is not good for D9 to have so many chicken coop condos.
    Last edited by stalingrad; 14-08-09 at 14:15.

Well is hard to say now. Yes devonshire location is great, but at some point tenants will find a tradeoff between location and the living condition (space premium). i think this may be a bigger problem for mickey mouse units not in CCR, e.g. alexis, parc imperial..

These low-level expats don't own a car, so they would prefer to live in CCR. Moreover, if you are right and that these low-level expats prefer to live in OCR, then where would the renters for these chicken coop condos in D9 come from? Wouldn't these chicken coop condos all remain empty and plunge the owners into personal bankruptcy?

haha, low level cannot be called expat in the true sense..

No matter how, CCR is much more expensive than OCR, so these low-level expats are still expats (better off than the other non-expats foreigners) after all and they seem to be better off to afford the CCR higher costs of living as opposed to the low-level non-expats living in OCR. Generally, for renting out, people prefer to rent to expats because they generally take better care of the property as opposed to non-expats. The chicken coops in CCR, regardless of how, still commands better premium than a 2BR in OCR because the fittings & finishings are of premium quality vs OCR. Whether anybody is going to rent the chicken coops is the owners concern isn't it? The fact that the low-level expats choose the CCR chicken coop of premium quality of fittings & finishings as opposed to bigger pig sty of poorer quality do seem to indicate something isn't it? Owners who choose CCR chicken coop to OCR pig sty may know/understand something that we don't?

You must not make the assumption that All expatriates are rich... there are cost conscious ones who don't own a car or never will own one in Singapore, and find the rental too expansive for that kind of space.

In city 'chicken coup' style condo's, quite likely that your tenants are from Hong Kong or Japan (where the place they come from a already chicken coups... and they are already used to that kind of space... space enough just to go home and sleep) and.. mostly singles.

Don't forget that the reason for buying a home is for the very basic need of roof over head and not for rental. If you are going for rental... you have to be certain that there will be tenants when the condo is ready... otherwise... you are screwed if you cannot afford the installments without the income from rental. Of course if you can afford the installments even without income from rental, you are quite likely to gain from capital appreciation.

Default Better to buy DBR at Simei.

so expensive better to buy DBR at simei as price is gd and great for investment opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by tanumy
    so expensive better to buy DBR at simei as price is gd and great for investment opportunity.
    Uh.. simei at most is for renting out...
    and when you try to sell it.. i'm afraid the value might not be there, much less if it's a 99lh.

Maybe you can go scan around the price history of condos in tampines or simei .and see whether the prices are still holding or have appreciated alot? Compared that to the D15,D9-11 ... and then you need to think about..if given only limited capital.. for only 1 condo.. which one would you choose.

Sometimes it's better to not buy and wait for a better price or location then to commit just because it is the only thing within your affordability range.

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    Uh.. simei at most is for renting out...
    and when you try to sell it.. i'm afraid the value might not be there, much less if it's a 99lh.

Maybe you can go scan around the price history of condos in tampines or simei .and see whether the prices are still holding or have appreciated alot? Compared that to the D15,D9-11 ... and then you need to think about..if given only limited capital.. for only 1 condo.. which one would you choose.

Sometimes it's better to not buy and wait for a better price or location then to commit just because it is the only thing within your affordability range.
    Just checked all Tunamy's posts. All promoting DBR no matter what the discussion is about. Either the guys an agent/flipper, or bought without doing a whole lot of research on the market and is now seeking reassurances.

99yrs mass market condo in the suburbs only have one trend. If I was going to buy such a unit I would pick up an existing 10yr old unit where alot of the depreciation has already occurred. 99yr is alot like buying a car. by their very nature they are depreciating asset.

I also agree with waiting for the time and place. I think this madness will stop by year end when reality sets in, a few more years when the interest rates are up and people realise they did their sums wrong, then will be the time to go in and pick and choose.

hey EBD, I agree with you on this. I think large supply will coincide with higher interest rates but closer to the 2011-2013 period,best time to buy.

Tunamy's (likely an owner) posts are only making more people dislike/skeptical of DBR. Potentially got this kind of people staying there. Strange person, degrading DBR in all the threads. lol.

Just checked all Tunamy's posts. All promoting DBR no matter what the discussion is about. Either the guys an agent/flipper, or bought without doing a whole lot of research on the market and is now seeking reassurances.

99yrs mass market condo in the suburbs only have one trend. If I was going to buy such a unit I would pick up an existing 10yr old unit where alot of the depreciation has already occurred. 99yr is alot like buying a car. by their very nature they are depreciating asset.

I also agree with waiting for the time and place. I think this madness will stop by year end when reality sets in, a few more years when the interest rates are up and people realise they did their sums wrong, then will be the time to go in and pick and choose.

Default 99 years condo is the best.

What u ppl talking abt. Look at centris recent one. When TOP such a high price. I strongly believe DBR got great potential due to singapore 4th Uni. Faster buy now.

Quote Originally Posted by tanumy
    What u ppl talking abt. Look at centris recent one. When TOP such a high price. I strongly believe DBR got great potential due to singapore 4th Uni. Faster buy now.
    So which one are you, flipper or marketing agent?

Just curious. All your posts are on DBR, trying your hardest to funnel people from other projects to DBR. It's so obvious it's not even funny.

Reporter is offline F01 N54 Sheer Driving Pleasure

Foreigners back in private home market
    Foreign buyers are streaming back into the private homes market in growing numbers, especially those from China
    Joyce Teo
    The Straits Times
    Thursday, 5 November 2009

New research from property consultancy Savills Singapore shows foreigners accounted for 22.7% of private home sales in the third quarter. -- Photo: Desmond Foo, ST

Foreign buyers are streaming back into the private homes market in growing numbers, especially those from China.

New research from property consultancy Savills Singapore shows foreigners accounted for 22.7% of private home sales in the third quarter – above the 19.7% average since the start of 2000.

Buyers from China have dislodged those from India for the No. 3 spot in the rankings this year with a contribution of nearly 15% of total foreign purchases. This puts China just behind Indonesia in the second spot and Malaysia at No. 1.

In the past two years, India had been in third spot, but it has slipped to fourth.

Last year, buyers from China had moved up to the No. 4 spot, dislodging buyers from Britain.

Buyers from Myanmar featured more strongly, coming in at No. 8. They did not make it to the top 10 last year, and were 10th in 2007.

In the July to September period, foreign buyers – including permanent residents – lodged 2,448 private home caveats, a key step to buying a home.

This is up from 1,807 caveats in the second quarter and just 498 in the first, according to data compiled by Savills.

In all, permanent residents bought 1,389 homes in the third quarter.

DTZ said its preliminary data for the third quarter showed that foreigners accounted for about 25% of total sales, compared with about 33% during the boom of 2007.

The most popular project sought by foreigners was Sophia Residence, a project launched in July. Then came Caribbean at Keppel Bay, Ascentia Sky, One Devonshire and Viva.

Permanent residents preferred Melville Park, a 99-year leasehold condominium in Simei, the recently launched Trevista, followed by Caribbean at Keppel Bay.

About 54% of the purchases by China buyers were for resale homes, said DTZ head of South-east Asia research Chua Chor Hoon.

Like Malaysian buyers, buyers from China tend to prefer homes priced between $500,000 and $1 million.

One-fifth of them bought homes costing $1.5 million to as much as $5 million.

Indonesians, however, tended to go for higher priced projects, particularly those priced $1.5 million to $5 million.

They like properties located at Novena, River Valley and the Singapore River.

They had been the biggest group of foreign buyers, taking first place from 2004 to 2007, only to lose the spot to Malaysia during the recent economic crisis, said Ms Christine Sun, Savills Singapore’s senior research & consultancy manager.

The latest figures featured a substantial rise in the number of foreign transactions for higher-priced properties.

A total of 86 properties priced above $5 million were sold in the quarter, up from 27 in the second and a mere six in the first.

Also, there was a 60% rise in deals for projects costing between $1.5 million and $5 million. Demand from foreigners for mass market homes was little changed from the second quarter.

Savills said recent data showed that foreigners who are not permanent residents tend to buy more pricey projects.

This group was also more likely to buy homes in prime districts than permanent residents, said Ms Sun. ‘We are hearing that more of these super-rich mainland Chinese buyers have come in recent weeks to buy prime properties like the bungalows in Sentosa Cove.’

But the big influx of foreigners to the luxury market in the 2006-2007 boom has not quite returned, consultants said.

Still, support from regional buyers could rise further. Jones Lang LaSalle’s head of residential, Ms Jacqueline Wong, said the firm has had rising interest from new potential buyers from India, China and Russia in the past four months.

‘We are one of the places they are considering. They see Singapore as a safe haven,’ said Ms Wong.

A senior private banker at a foreign bank said: ‘We are seeing some clients consider buying a Singapore property as one of a string of homes they have around the world. Luxury homes have come down 30% from the peak, so they are better value now.’

DTZ’s Ms Chua said foreign buyers see the growing attraction of Singapore as a global city and expect prices to keep rising as the economy strengthens.

‘Prices of prime and luxurious units have not reached 2007 levels and there is still the potential of capital appreciation depending on the rate of economic recovery,’ she said.

So which one are you, flipper or marketing agent?

Just curious. All your posts are on DBR, trying your hardest to funnel people from other projects to DBR. It's so obvious it's not even funny.
    Actually I didn't know much about Double Bay, but now I won't dare to buy Double Bay because I think there must be something wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reporter

Foreigners back in private home market
    Foreign buyers are streaming back into the private homes market in growing numbers, especially those from China
    Joyce Teo
    The Straits Times
    Thursday, 5 November 2009

Foreign buyers are streaming back into the private homes market in growing numbers, especially those from China.

Buyers from China have dislodged those from India for the No. 3 spot in the rankings this year with a contribution of nearly 15% of total foreign purchases. This puts China just behind Indonesia in the second spot and Malaysia at No. 1.

In the past two years, India had been in third spot, but it has slipped to fourth.

Last year, buyers from China had moved up to the No. 4 spot, dislodging buyers from Britain.

About 54% of the purchases by China buyers were for resale homes, said DTZ head of South-east Asia research Chua Chor Hoon.

Like Malaysian buyers, buyers from China tend to prefer homes priced between $500,000 and $1 million.

One-fifth of them bought homes costing $1.5 million to as much as $5 million.

This group was also more likely to buy homes in prime districts than permanent residents, said Ms Sun. ‘We are hearing that more of these super-rich mainland Chinese buyers have come in recent weeks to buy prime properties like the bungalows in Sentosa Cove.’

‘We are one of the places they are considering. They see Singapore as a safe haven,’ said Ms Wong.
    This article is full of the word "China"!

Do you think we can get more investments from China if we use this lady to help us advertise?

Dear Rich Comrades!
    Come! Come! Buy Singapore properties!
    Singapore is safer than Hong Kong!

Reporter is offline F01 N54 Sheer Driving Pleasure

Has that last unit been sold?

Passed by yesterday and saw that the development is almost completed.

Looks nice and impressive. They even on the lights at night now

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0503
    Passed by yesterday and saw that the development is almost completed.

Looks nice and impressive. They even on the lights at night now
    But the model looks much more impressive ....i m kinda dissapointed by the actual thing

haha yeah.. this is one of those development which has really nice artist impression but the final product looks less impressive...

have to take into consideration it been close to other developments... usually looks nicer when they are by themselves... (artist impression will never include neighbouring buildings... unless it's MBS haha)

Heng that time never buy..
    Final product according to artist impression: