Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WHEN WILL PROPERTY MARKET CRASH?

citizen x

Default WHEN WILL PROPERTY MARKET CRASH?

Hi all

My prediction is for the property market to start going down after both IRs are completed. However i dun think it will crash. Instead, it will go down gradually. 5 years after the IRs are completed, we should see the property market around the 2002 to 2004 level or slightly higher.

From now (2007) to IR completes however, we will still see a rise in prices in the prime and CBD areas, until there is an over supply of new condo launches in Orchard area because of all the en blocs that went on last couple of years. That is when prices will plateau as demand tries to keep up with supply. After that, will drop for 5 years until realistic levels.

I am getting my war chest ready for such a time, when Ardmore, Cuscaden areas drop to $1,200 psf. Then it will be time to buy. It will be the best time to buy because everyone then will be afraid to invest in property because that time will coincide with economic downturn.

Default Re: WHEN WILL PROPERTY MARKET CRASH?

wah, why u look so far ahead?
    for me very short sighted lah.
    I just want to know whether tomorrow prices will be higher than today or not.

Unregistered

Citizen X, I totally disagree with you!

citizen x

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Citizen X, I totally disagree with you!
    Are you one of those property agents who are intent on talking up the market?

The property downturn will come either late this year or next year. If you intend to buy, you can wait a little while more.

For those holding prime properties, now is the time to sell. When you wait for all the Orchard launches (recently en bloc'ed sites) at sky high prices, I'm afraid that will be too late to sell your holdings. That will be the time when people start thinking how stupid it is to pay $2 M for a 1,000 sq ft cheesebox and will avoid buying like the plague.

Face it, this is as good as it gets.

citizen x

Face it, STI is at an all time high (discounting the minor profit taking these past 2 days), all the world's financial markets are at stratospheric heights. Property markets usually follow closely behind the stocks markets (within reason of their supply/demand).

Everything is so high now, you gotta be crazy or stupid or both to buy property now.

When something crashes, it will be like dominoes. Get ready.

Unregistered

dun tok kok lah. you sound like you Li Ka Shing or Kwek Leng Beng.

The Bayshore

The IR will have little effect on the housing market, except perhaps short-stay serviced apartments.

Given the number of developments being released - i'd say a gradual (to start with) then very sharp (later) correction will be due in the next 12-18 months.

It is quite true that many properties in the core central region is overpriced.

Take for example the marQ which is going to be launched soon at beyond $3000 psf. A typical unit of 4500 sq ft would cost about abt $14 mil, including stamp fees. If it is for investment, assuming a rental yield to match the bond yield of 5%, the unit has to rented out at abt $60k per month or about $700k per year.

The highest paid CEOs in Singapore probably earns around $5 mil a year, based on Singtel CEO's pay. Only this class of CEOs can afford to rent this type of units. The number of such CEO is a handful.

But luxurious units are going to be launched at 4000 units per year from now onwards, albeit not all would cost $14 mil. But how can the market absorbed even a small proportion of these?

bay shore park

First you have to determine where the market is. The market for high end properties is not only in Singapore, but in Asia. Many Europeans, Americans, and Middle Easterns are also investing in Singapore properties. These may be private individuals, hedge funds, and corporations.

Second: if Singapore truly wants to have world class economy and society, we must also have the globalised population to match Hong Kong, Tokyo, New York, and London. By globalised I mean cosmopolitan people from all over the world. These people think nothing of paying SGD 3,000 psf for them it is cheap. You want to compare to HK or London prices?

Third: why you talk of Singtel CEO and the like? His salary is nothing compared to global hedge fund managers and investment bankers. The average Goldman Sachs i-bankers make more than SGD 5 million in their yearly bonus alone.

jerome

From now on, market will have small ups and downs. This is the plateau stage already, the general price spike up has already happened and will stay at this level. The next spike is to come during the years between IRs - we will then see a new breed of investor in town, the kind Singapore has never before seen, the wildly rich jet-set type with deep bottomless pockets.

High end (luxury class) prices will stay. Mid tier and low end will vary according to location.

River Valley and Newton are both mid tier areas blessed with good location. The prices of these 2 areas will follow very closely the top end, albeit a notch down the price scale.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast