Doctor Strange 2: Elizabeth Olsen On Being 'Frustrated' By Lost Opportunities Due To MCU

“It took me away from the physical ability to do certain jobs.”

May 12, 2022

After 8 years in the MCU as the Scarlet Witch, it looks as though Elizabeth Olsen has had enough.

During an interview with the New York Times, the 33-year-old Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness star opened up about losing out on roles due to her Marvel commitments.

“It took me away from the physical ability to do certain jobs that I thought were more aligned with the things I enjoyed as an audience member,” she revealed. “And this is me being the most honest.”

Olsen made her Marvel debut in a post-credit scene in 2014’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier. She then went on to join the MCU proper in Avengers: Age of Ultron as Wanda Maximoff – one of Baron Strucker’s super-powered test subjects.

She would go on to star in many more Marvel movies… but even by 2015, the frustrations were beginning to grow. One of the major films Olsen lost out on was Yorgos Lanthimos’ The Lobster, which went on to win the jury prize at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival.

She previously said that losing The Lobster was a “heartbreak”

“I was in a contract [for Marvel] I could not get out of,” she explained. “So that didn’t work out.”

Now, Olsen explains that the experience left her feeling left out. “I started to feel frustrated,” she explained. “I had this job security but I was losing these pieces that I felt were more part of my being. And the further I got away from that, the less I became considered for it.”

Although Olsen appears in the recent Doctor Strange sequel, it’s unknown whether she will return. But Olsen admits that she would be tempted.

“I think I would,” she confirmed. “But it really needs to be a good story. I think these films are best when it’s not about creating content, but about having a very strong point of view — not because you need to have a three-picture plan.”

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness stars Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange, alongside Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch. They’re joined by Chiwetel Ejiofor, Benedict Wong, Rachel McAdams, and Xochitl Gomez.

Sam Raimi directed the movie from a script by Michael Waldron, based on characters created by comic book legends, Steve Ditko, and Stan Lee.

https://sea.ign.com/doctor-strange-2...ies-due-to-mcu