Thread: BMW unveils new 7-series limo way ahead of S'pore launch

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default BMW unveils new 7-series limo way ahead of S'pore launch

http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2...5.html?vgnmr=1

July 7, 2008

BMW unveils new 7-series limo way ahead of S'pore launch

By Christopher Tan

A BMW spokesman told The Straits Times the new BMW 7-series (above) would arrive in Singapore as early as first-quarter of next year. -- PHOTO: BMW

GERMAN car-maker BMW Ag has released details of its latest 7-series limo, four months before its launch in Europe and at least six months before it is due in Singapore.

The new car, a direct competitor to Mercedes' S-class and Jaguar's XJ, looks little changed from the current generation 7-series except for being slightly larger and for its less fanciful headlamps and more elegant tail-lights.

It is packed with new features, including those designed for fuel efficiency.

The car can, for instance, charge its battery while braking. Unlike existing cars, it will stop charging the battery or turn off the aircon compressor when extra power is needed for acceleration.

Lightweight aluminium is used for its roof, doors, bonnet and side panels.

Other new features, which may be standard or optional for Singapore-bound cars, include a night vision system that can identify pedestrians; and a front side-view camera to help driver merge with traffic on a main road from partially blocked driveways or side lanes - a first for BMW.

A BMW spokesman told The Straits Times the car would arrive in Singapore as early as first-quarter of next year.

He said a range of new diesel variants will also be made available for the first time here, including a new all-aluminium 3.0-litre version that produces 245hp at 4,000rpm and 540Nm of torque from merely 1,750rpm.

UnregĄstered Guest

For I6 petrol fan, get the 326hp 740Li (3.0T).

For V8 petrol fan, get the 407hp 750Li (4.4T).

no BMW V8 for me Guest

Don't get the V8. BMW's V8 are nice and purring when new but after 2-3 years the problems start to come. BMW are famous for their inline 6 as these have stood the test of time, even their older aluminium inline 6.

Do consider the Mercedes V8, which are very reliable long term, tried and tested on their higher end specs as well as AMG cars. Big and solid iron block.

New Audi V8: jury is still out. Must wait some time before any problems come out. The old Audi aluminium V8 was also not lasting.

Curious Guest

Quote Originally Posted by UnregĄstered

So .... any 306hp 335Li (3.0T)?

Curious Guest

Quote Originally Posted by UnregĄstered

Quote Originally Posted by Curious
    So .... any 306hp 335Li (3.0T)?
    Sorry .... I mean any 306hp 735Li (3.0T)?