Thread: Billed for management fee for 2 years, what should I do

Unhappy Billed for management fee for 2 years, what should I do

Hi all,I have just received an email remninder that I havent paid my condo management fund for a whopping 2 years, during these 2 years I did not received any paper billings, email, phonecall or whatsoever from the management company.

Whats worse is that they took the liberty to seek legal action against me last year without me knowing (again I did not receive any letter from their lawyer), and they charge $$$ for legal fee.
    So now all of suddent they email me to tell me to pay for all these fee, plus late charges and legal fees I didnt ask for.

I called them and they said they have noticed me vi mails, and its my responsibility to check with management in case I dont receive bills from them.

Am I in the wrong here? What can I do? I find its very strange that all of sudden Im fined for something I wad not billed. Imagine citibnk does this it would be a disaster.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day!

Default Re: Billed for management fee for 2 years, what should I do

O$P$ lor.

Entitled much?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiakliaobeekia View Post
    O$P$ lor.

Entitled much?
    Of course I would pay for what I should, in fact I already paid the entire amount and asking for offset for wrong charges.

I found out they messed up the mailing address and has been sending to a wrong address, and then charged me for all these late fee, legal action fees.

Quote Originally Posted by namcs View Post
    Of course I would pay for what I should, in fact I already paid the entire amount and asking for offset for wrong charges.

I found out they messed up the mailing address and has been sending to a wrong address, and then charged me for all these late fee, legal action fees.
    You are always welcome to hire a lawyer at $500 an hour to prove your innocence.

But it is unlikely that you would win.

For example, why did you not contact the managing agent when you sensed that something was amiss, and for two long years, at that. You are equally culpable for pretending the charges didn't exist.

Were you hoping they would have forgotten to charge you maintenance fees and sinking fund contributions?

You are always welcome to hire a lawyer at $500 an hour to prove your innocence.

But it is unlikely that you would win.

For example, why did you not contact the managing agent when you sensed that something was amiss, and for two long years, at that. You are equally culpable for pretending the charges didn't exist.

Were you hoping they would have forgotten to charge you maintenance fees and sinking fund contributions?
    No, I simply didn't pay attention

No, I simply didn't pay attention
    That would never pass muster in court, should you decide to take it up.

Claiming ignorance makes for a very bad defence.

That would never pass muster in court, should you decide to take it up.

Claiming ignorance makes for a very bad defence.
    But do I need to defend myself in the first place? Billing management is not my responsibility right? Sure you can say I should have been done this and that, but does it hold me accountable for their mistake?
    especially they have my email, contact number, and literally a few steps away from my unit, they also should have contacted me if there is any delay in payment, just like other businesses?

But do I need to defend myself in the first place? Billing management is not my responsibility right? Sure you can say I should have been done this and that, but does it hold me accountable for their mistake?
    especially they have my email, contact number, and literally a few steps away from my unit, they also should have contacted me if there is any delay in payment, just like other businesses?
    of course you are not accountable for their mistake.
    However you are accountable for your mistake (ie. you did not pay for 2 years).
    If the MCST refused to nego with with you, then be prepared to go to court if you want to fight.( you can DIY without lawyer and try to save some money on top of the interest that you already earned by not paying for 2 years).
    Let us know if you win.

Quote Originally Posted by otansg View Post
    of course you are not accountable for their mistake.
    However you are accountable for your mistake (ie. you did not pay for 2 years).
    If the MCST refused to nego with with you, then be prepared to go to court if you want to fight.( you can DIY without lawyer and try to save some money on top of the interest that you already earned by not paying for 2 years).
    Let us know if you win.
    Thanks for the advice. Is it common sense that customer/user has to check with service provider about not getting billed on time? How is this seen in term of legal?

From my experience it's very strange for them to involve lawyer. Take banking for example, they send reminder sms, mail 7 days before due date, another round if overdued, call some time after that. Of course I wont expect a condo management to be as good as an MNC but not even a phone call?

Thanks for the advice. Is it common sense that customer/user has to check with service provider about not getting billed on time? How is this seen in term of legal?

From my experience it's very strange for them to involve lawyer. Take banking for example, they send reminder sms, mail 7 days before due date, another round if overdued, call some time after that. Of course I wont expect a condo management to be as good as an MNC but not even a phone call?
    Welcome to the real World, you have not encounter IRAS yet.
    The Best Time to buy Property is Yesterday.
    If you lose Money it because you sell on a wrong Day.

https://wa.me/6587821025

https://r057844h.propnex.net/

You don't Buy others will Buy.
    You don't Sell, others will Sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    Welcome to the real World, you have not encounter IRAS yet.
    Actually I had good experience with IRAS, well-informed, and allow flexible payment
    Real World is not monopolized by property management I guess