Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King Albert Park Condominium

Default King Albert Park Condominium

Hi,

I would like to know more about this place.
    Anyone has any comments on King Albert Park ? This condo is close to 10 yr old and sellers are still asking for high 9xx to 1000 psqft. Is it worth this much?

Any comments are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by sallytan
    Hi,

Anyone has any comments on King Albert Park ? This condo is close to 10 yr old and sellers are still asking for high 9xx to 1000 psqft. Is it worth this much?

If you are looking for investment, it is better to buy brand new projects. In 2-3 years time, the market will be flooded with many new projects. As a tenant, one would logically go for newer projects to stay rather than old projects. The same rationale would apply to buying properties- buyers would go for brand new and young projects rather than old run down ones. Just my 2 cents.

Valuer Guest

The name of the condo is "1 King Albert Park"
    How often a condo can just use the address as the "name of the condo"?
    This would tell you there is something special about this address. King Albert Park is a street for about a dozen exquisite good class bungalows and nothing else except of course the "1 Kind Albert PArk" condo.

Hope you get the picture many still consider it cheap at 1000 psf.

Hi,

Hob Guest

Not much to say but nice location. Is this a FH property? If yes, I won't be too worried about the age, as long as it is well maintained. With the high construction costs nowadays, the new developments are bound to cut corners to improve margins. The new developments in the same area (Jardin, Floridian) are 1600psf? Not worth the extra money - save it for early retirement You can easily do up your place nice nice for <100k

Hi,

Unregistered. Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hob
    Not much to say but nice location. Is this a FH property? If yes, I won't be too worried about the age, as long as it is well maintained. With the high construction costs nowadays, the new developments are bound to cut corners to improve margins. The new developments in the same area (Jardin, Floridian) are 1600psf? Not worth the extra money - save it for early retirement You can easily do up your place nice nice for <100k
    Oh dont worry all these will fall toabout 800psf soon.

Ya, I like the location and the English like fountain deco But worry that if I pay 1000 psqft now I would not be able to sell at this price in future if I intend to move again.

Based on the caveat records, 1000psqft is consider high and is almost the price when it first launched. So I am paying that price for something already 10yr old. During the low period in 2004/2005, it can only fetch at 500+ to 600+psqft. I know it is unlikely to go down to that low again, but 800+psqft is more reasonable price. Then I don't have to worry that I am paying too high for a older condo.

It's a FH property but I do not know if is well maintained cause I am not expert in this area. From the outside, it look ok.

analyst Guest

Cool

Ya, I like the location and the English like fountain deco But worry that if I pay 1000 psqft now I would not be able to sell at this price in future if I intend to move again.

Based on the caveat records, 1000psqft is consider high and is almost the price when it first launched. So I am paying that price for something already 10yr old. During the low period in 2004/2005, it can only fetch at 500+ to 600+psqft. I know it is unlikely to go down to that low again, but 800+psqft is more reasonable price. Then I don't have to worry that I am paying too high for a older condo.

It's a FH property but I do not know if is well maintained cause I am not expert in this area. From the outside, it look ok.

I have been to see a condo in that area before. It fronted the road and was VERY nosiy. If you are interested in a unit there, make sure you get one away from the road.

Another problem is for drivers who want to get out onto the main road. It is quite difficult, especially if you try to get to Dunearn Road from there (try yourself in the mornings and evenings). Quite a bad place for jams for vehicles trying to turn into Clementi side as well.

Overall, cited at a hectic and busy place. Needless to say, I did not buy the unit.

On the flip side, the development does look quite cosy, and even has tennis courts for a relatively small development.

But all in all, I decided to go somewhere else.

Valuer Guest

Inflation is with us all the times and that is why you can buy a bungalow with less money than buying a condo at that location 20 yrs ago.

Property market from 90s to 2006 was suffering from deflation and that is why you find it hard to swallow when owners asking the price that they paid for 10yrs ago.

If you think property will resume the inflationary trend in the next 10 years, 1000 psf may not be too expensive afterall.

PasserBy Guest

If the LH Garden Vista can fetch 1200 psf, 1000psf for this FH property is really dirt cheap. You are right about the the launch price for this condo was above 1000psf when condos in the neighbourhood only went for 700 psf. The developer was marketing this as upcale produces and they used expensive materials theoughout the while project. I bet even at 10years old, many fixures will lok better than the almost new project across the road. Frankly, in comparing GV, you have more choices to hit different direction when you come out of the condo.

Like is one thing- ..................................................................................? I dunno but better do a thorough research first.

bukit timah fan! Guest

Hi Sally

I would try bargaining it down a little, just to feel better. But I think $1000 psf is ok. Do also consider Maplewoods.

ssss Guest

Default ss

from the transactions history on condo websites. there are very few units change hands.. meaning this is a small development. i haven't visited 1KAP, but i wonder anyone know how many units in total?

things to watch out for , in smaller dev'ts....

1) maintenance fees, could be high
    2) parking problems! check out the number of units and the no of parking lots.. if it's just 1 to 1, watch out. u may end up visitors can/t park at your condo!
    3) for older condo check carefully things like wear and tear of general area, pointings at swimming pool.. check timber doors at outdoor area for hollowed sound.. may be termite problem. etc

and one thing a lot of ppl nvr mention... u need to watch carefully about WHO UR NEIGHBOURS ARE. so best is to go on wedneday or thurs 7-8pm where u see the residents coming home from work to see what is the crowd u will be staying with.

good luck!!

Very great suggestion, ssss! Your hints are certainly very useful to me as I am currently checking out a development. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ssss
    from the transactions history on condo websites. there are very few units change hands.. meaning this is a small development. i haven't visited 1KAP, but i wonder anyone know how many units in total?

things to watch out for , in smaller dev'ts....

1) maintenance fees, could be high
    2) parking problems! check out the number of units and the no of parking lots.. if it's just 1 to 1, watch out. u may end up visitors can/t park at your condo!
    3) for older condo check carefully things like wear and tear of general area, pointings at swimming pool.. check timber doors at outdoor area for hollowed sound.. may be termite problem. etc

and one thing a lot of ppl nvr mention... u need to watch carefully about WHO UR NEIGHBOURS ARE. so best is to go on wedneday or thurs 7-8pm where u see the residents coming home from work to see what is the crowd u will be staying with.

good luck!!

Unregistered007 Guest

I stay nearby and I think traffic along Dunearn is okay. I drive to work down Dunearn Road everyday.

My condo is now 7 years old. Everything is okay and in good condition. Most condos go through major upgrading and repainting once they are 6-7 years old, so 10-yrs old property should be fine.

The best part with this location (Bt Timah, Upper Bukit Timah) is that it is a exclusively private property belt - and most grow up in a private property environment. It is a nice crowd and you won't have much problems with your neighbours. There is no MRT or HDB amenities though - but people who choose this location probably drive and do not care much about MRT. It's pretty laid-back esp during the weekends.

As for pricing, you may want to wait for a while in the current turbulance? But I think the craze now is suddenly waterfront living, so the prices here may weaken a little. But it's really a gem in this area - the nature reserves in Singapore is in many ways is nicer than our beaches and rivers (more like drains).

Wink

Thks all for the advise and feedback. I guess I'll choose to wait a while more and hope that price will come down a little bit more I plan to stay there for another 10 yrs, by then the property will be 20 yr old. I doubt by then the property can fetch such a high price.

Usually, properties near railway track can't fetch alot of price but in this case it seems that the railway track in between KAP and Sterling has not much affect on the prices of these 2 properties. Sterling is still hovering around 1200 to 1300psqft. Anyone think if there is a possibility that Spore will get the railway back from Msia and the area will get re-develop? I personally feel that is very unlikely.

I din consider Maplewoods is bcos i find that is a large development with 600+ units. I prefer small development, KAP has about 101 units if I am not wrong.

ATCON Guest

If u staying for 10 years, then don't worry too much about future prices. At least this area will get an MRT line, so from a "potential" perspective, it is not worse off than other areas Even if you buy a brand new condo today, it shall be 10 yrs old 10 years later right? If u ask me, this is a good exclusive location, private property enclave with MRT 7 yrs later (quite rare). The new 99yrs mass mkt condo in HDB already selling close to 1000psf. So if you hv a 10 yr horizon, this can't be a bad choice

I wouldn't bank on singapore taking back the railway track. But it does add character to the area! Haha! But I notice from MP2008 that some roads were planned to cross the railway track which is kind of strange - but wouldn't want to speculate.

As for large developments, I find them okay. I stay at a place with 300 units or so - not considered large I guess. The larger developments tend to have a larger common area and landscaping - so more spaces for your children to run around. Also, due to the "averaging effect", the facilities are not over-booked and maintenance fee is lower. In fact my condo's tennis courts are always empty!

Good luck to you on your search, and remember to track prices closely, because if the market starts to move, it waits for no one!

Thks all for the advise and feedback. I guess I'll choose to wait a while more and hope that price will come down a little bit more I plan to stay there for another 10 yrs, by then the property will be 20 yr old. I doubt by then the property can fetch such a high price.

Usually, properties near railway track can't fetch alot of price but in this case it seems that the railway track in between KAP and Sterling has not much affect on the prices of these 2 properties. Sterling is still hovering around 1200 to 1300psqft. Anyone think if there is a possibility that Spore will get the railway back from Msia and the area will get re-develop? I personally feel that is very unlikely.

I din consider Maplewoods is bcos i find that is a large development with 600+ units. I prefer small development, KAP has about 101 units if I am not wrong.

sssss Guest

Default ss

Quote Originally Posted by ATCON
    If u staying for 10 years, then don't worry too much about future prices. At least this area will get an MRT line, so from a "potential" perspective, it is not worse off than other areas Even if you buy a brand new condo today, it shall be 10 yrs old 10 years later right? If u ask me, this is a good exclusive location, private property enclave with MRT 7 yrs later (quite rare). The new 99yrs mass mkt condo in HDB already selling close to 1000psf. So if you hv a 10 yr horizon, this can't be a bad choice

I wouldn't bank on singapore taking back the railway track. But it does add character to the area! Haha! But I notice from MP2008 that some roads were planned to cross the railway track which is kind of strange - but wouldn't want to speculate.

As for large developments, I find them okay. I stay at a place with 300 units or so - not considered large I guess. The larger developments tend to have a larger common area and landscaping - so more spaces for your children to run around. Also, due to the "averaging effect", the facilities are not over-booked and maintenance fee is lower. In fact my condo's tennis courts are always empty!

Good luck to you on your search, and remember to track prices closely, because if the market starts to move, it waits for no one!

you staying hume avenue side, right?
    i also prefer slightly larger (not too small development). for the points i mentioned earlier post (parking, facilities, maint fees). also small dev't can sometimes be a bit "political".
    also, another person wrote about "nice crowd" . i say it depends... you are forgetting about tenants. i don't want to say too much as it don't sound nice, but not all who stay at condo are long term owner residents/

actually tell u something, the railway track act as a buffer to keep the busy traffic of the road away. a lot of pppl don't seem to realise this. if the ktm railway is removed, the roads may be widened... and then the traffic might end up very close to your condo and all the dust etc will be closer to your units.

there are always good and bad points.

Bukit timah lover Guest

Currently everyone is rushing for the 99LH properties as they're near amenities and MRT station. It doesnt take a genius to discover that there is currently a dearth of freehold property near MRT. It's our govt's policy to provide public transport and amenities to the masses first. The DTL2 will be the FIRST MRT line that will run through an exclusively private property belt. Try driving down Bukit Timah > Anak Bukit > Upper Bukit Timah. There isn't a single HDB in sight. This means the property here will have the UNIQUE feature of both MRT + freehold + exclusively private, which is very rare. Of course now everyone is running after artificial waterways and lakes, but the bukit timah reserves is NATURAL and has more species than the whole of north america! That is more unique than all the artificial waterways dredged and all over the island. That's my humble opinion. And you don't see people in Bukit Timah fighting over enbloc everyday, because we truly love our home here and want to stay for a long time

BettingOnNature Guest

I couldn't agree with you more and that is why I sold investment property at KAB and use the proceeds to buy two units at RT last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukit timah lover
    Currently everyone is rushing for the 99LH properties as they're near amenities and MRT station. It doesnt take a genius to discover that there is currently a dearth of freehold property near MRT. It's our govt's policy to provide public transport and amenities to the masses first. The DTL2 will be the FIRST MRT line that will run through an exclusively private property belt. Try driving down Bukit Timah > Anak Bukit > Upper Bukit Timah. There isn't a single HDB in sight. This means the property here will have the UNIQUE feature of both MRT + freehold + exclusively private, which is very rare. Of course now everyone is running after artificial waterways and lakes, but the bukit timah reserves is NATURAL and has more species than the whole of north america! That is more unique than all the artificial waterways dredged and all over the island. That's my humble opinion. And you don't see people in Bukit Timah fighting over enbloc everyday, because we truly love our home here and want to stay for a long time

Unregistered888 Guest

Talking i am not an agent coz they stink

shortie developments with no view is not worth buying. go 4 luxurious beacon heights along mar thoma road which is the tallest development near boon keng mrt (28 floors). it is 999 years with full condo facilities (50m lap pool and tennis court etc), 5 min drive to town or 3 MRT STOPS to town, it has spectacular view of the city skyline, strategically situated in the middle of singapore and accessible to all parts of singapore as it is within minutes from the future woodsville interchange coming along, it is a peaceful neighbourhood whilst near town, priced below 1k psf.....etc etc. If you think orchard is central, look at the map and you will realise that boon keng is more central in singapore compared to orchard or dhoby ghaut area. So what are you guys waiting for......HOT HOT HOT GO AND BUY!!!!

KAP Evaluator Guest

Default No. 1 King Albert Park

$1000psf is definitely not worth it! Property market is going downhill. Banks are losing money internationally. New projects are springing up everywhere. For a 10 yr old project, a reasonable price is probably $650-$700psf for KAP.

You can't compare with newer developments which are fetching a bit more $ coz they are new. Their fittings are new, their surroundings are new, their everything are new.

$900-1000psf is definitely far too optimistic. Not realistic for buyers...

Talking

Yes ! The latest transacted priced at 891psft......

Albert1 Guest

Smile

Not many is aware the railway to Malaysia actually runs very close to the condo.. So, you may get some unwelcomed noises.

Believe there are better location condos to choose from.

Unregistered128 Guest

Since 1997, there are opportunities again and again for the smart investors make money again and again. If you have been stick to the buy low, sell high principle for the last ten years, you should be sitting on a pile of cash already.

This time thanks to the meltdown started in the "developed" countries, the next bargain opportunity will be here sooner than I thought. Hope you are one of those who are fortunate enough to be a big buyer of distress assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1
    Not many is aware the railway to Malaysia actually runs very close to the condo.. So, you may get some unwelcomed noises.

Ericoni Guest

I stay in a condo reasonably close to the railway track. I can't even tell how many times the train passes by per day - because it is so uneventful. I believe it is at most 3 times a day? Even then it is like 2 seconds only. I've stayed in areas close to noisy roads, expressways and airbase. These are 100 times worse. Those near noisy roads/ECPs will have constant drone of vehicles zooming past - u can't open the windows. Those near airport/airbase is even worse - the noise pollution from the aircrafts can drive one crazy. That is why i move away from those places. Staying near a railway track is a non-issue - you can try asking the residents in Bukit Timah - many can't even tell how frequent the train go past - because it is not disturbing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1

Unregistered007 Guest

You have been living with noise all your life. It makes a lot of sense that you are totally immune to noise. Good for you.
    But do remmeber that it doesn't bother your mind may not mean it cause no harm to your body.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericoni
    I stay in a condo reasonably close to the railway track. I can't even tell how many times the train passes by per day - because it is so uneventful. I believe it is at most 3 times a day? Even then it is like 2 seconds only. I've stayed in areas close to noisy roads, expressways and airbase. These are 100 times worse. Those near noisy roads/ECPs will have constant drone of vehicles zooming past - u can't open the windows. Those near airport/airbase is even worse - the noise pollution from the aircrafts can drive one crazy. That is why i move away from those places. Staying near a railway track is a non-issue - you can try asking the residents in Bukit Timah - many can't even tell how frequent the train go past - because it is not disturbing at all.

Radiowaves Guest

Good Pt.. If one stay near the big big antenna at BT hill.. There are no noises.. BUt am not sure of the radiowaves.. Am sure one have read a lot on the effects of such radio waves on human..

Unregistereda Guest

the signals and frequency are low and they do nt emit gamma waves whch are the ones that cause genetic mutation n cancer. But having said that, u never knw how they control the signals n it is better to live away frm these treacherous telecm antannaes
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiowaves
    Good Pt.. If one stay near the big big antenna at BT hill.. There are no noises.. BUt am not sure of the radiowaves.. Am sure one have read a lot on the effects of such radio waves on human..

Cases_In_USA Guest

Smile

Judging at the nos of high incident of lek cases in USA.. I rather stay far far away than to take such chances. Have to live LONGER to get all my CPF back !

Yes ! The latest transacted priced at 891psft......
    did you manage to get a unit at King Albert Park?