Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Raising ABSD for second homes among new property-cooling measures announced

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    Last time can decouple, can wait.

Now cannot decouple,
    why now u cannot decouple?

I think he refer to couples who own one HDB matrimonial home. HDB does not allow decoupling now.

Quote Originally Posted by Khng8 View Post
    I think he refer to couples who own one HDB matrimonial home. HDB does not allow decoupling now.
    this makes sense

The new cooling measures will not prevent Singaporean families from owning two private condos. They will just have to own them singly, husbanding buying and owning one, and the wife buying and owning another. The new CMs change nothing.

The only effect of the CMs is to stop the en blocs. The effect is two folds, it would reduce demand in the short term but will reduce supply in the long run. So, the net effect is hard to tell. Also, the new CMs will make first time buyers jump in, as they now have a more powerful weapon, their first time buyer status, which is now more valuable than before the new CMs.

Going forward, the number of condos sold to couples would be down to zero. It is better to have two first time buyers in the family than just one.

This is the most moderate post I have read from you.

Steady.

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad View Post
    The new cooling measures will not prevent Singaporean families from owning two private condos. They will just have to own them singly, husbanding buying and owning one, and the wife buying and owning another. The new CMs change nothing.

The only effect of the CMs is to stop the en blocs. The effect is two folds, it would reduce demand in the short term but will reduce supply in the long run. So, the net effect is hard to tell. Also, the new CMs will make first time buyers jump in, as they now have a more powerful weapon, their first time buyer status, which is now more valuable than before the new CMs.

Going forward, the number of condos sold to couples would be down to zero. It is better to have two first time buyers in the family than just one.
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Will be reduced, but definitely not zero.

since the showflats are still crowded, that means demand is still strong (whether they decide now or later is another story but there certainly is demand). killing the en bloc removes the longer term supply. so the measures did not kill demand but killed supply?

does anyone know if developers who buy GLS have to pay the 5% non refundable absd? the articles i read only seemed to refer to residential PROPERTIES ie en bloc. it said nothing about government residential LAND sales sites sold.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter View Post
    since the showflats are still crowded, that means demand is still strong (whether they decide now or later is another story but there certainly is demand). killing the en bloc removes the longer term supply. so the measures did not kill demand but killed supply?

does anyone know if developers who buy GLS have to pay the 5% non refundable absd? the articles i read only seemed to refer to residential PROPERTIES ie en bloc. it said nothing about government residential LAND sales sites sold.
    Yes, that is the purpose of the CMs, to prop up the prices in the long run. rather than to see them plummet. So, if you are a property owner, the CMs actually will help you. And if are a long-term investors, the CMs give you more reasons to buy. That explains why the showflats are still full.

Also, don't be fooled by the headlines. The new cooling measures are not what the name suggests. They are actually blunt tools used by the government to stop the en bloc craze from spiralling out of control. The government cannot just say we don't want more en blocs, because that would alienate Singaporens.

En blocs are unhealthy. First, they are a waste of resources, with many perfectly fine housing blocs razed to make way for ones that are just newer but add no value to society. Second, en blocs lead to more mickey mouse condos, which in the long run are not a healthy thing to Singapore, which prefer to have larger family units. Third, en blocs and the ensuing tear-downs and rebuilding increase Singapore's carbon footprint.

In Australia, I encountered this principle which I believe the Govt is applying.

They do not allow foreigners to buy built property or property on existing housing stocks but will allow foreigner participation only if it increases total housing stock.

In the same respect, GLS allows us to further develop our land and housing stock while enbloc in general retains the housing area only, increasing housing stock through making smaller units only, other than the waste Stalingrad mentioned.

Where developers are concerned, be prepared that they will prefer GLS over enbloc sites going forward.

The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    In Australia, I encountered this principle which I believe the Govt is applying.

They do not allow foreigners to buy built property or property on existing housing stocks but will allow foreigner participation only if it increases total housing stock.

In the same respect, GLS allows us to further develop our land and housing stock while enbloc in general retains the housing area only, increasing housing stock through making smaller units only, other than the waste Stalingrad mentioned.

Where developers are concerned, be prepared that they will prefer GLS over enbloc sites going forward.
    The Government know, they are pay millions to plan 10, 20 years ahead.

GFA/70 sqm is one of the measure they use to ensure enbloc in old development.

Just look at Matter GLS as an example unlike up North.

There should be no property shocks brought upon internally until the next election 2020. Its all been planned.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoeisfound View Post
    Hi All!

Recently I was referred to this website from a friend and its been really informative and helpful. They use plenty of facts, data and research to educate the consumers.

I was curious to find out more, so I gave them a call. We met up and they did a detailed analysis of the property for me, and even made sure I wasn't over-reaching in my purchase

How nice of them! I would encourage you guys to check it out too. Anyone here has a similar experience?

www.teoduoproperty.com

They are really very knowledgable and ill be meeting them soon to discuss further.
    Game over - 3. Wealth Preservation (Age 50-80 years old)

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Based on your logic, the same is true for HDB SERS! - That is, HDB SERS
    are unhealthy. First, they are a waste of resources, with many perfectly fine housing blocs razed to make way for ones that are just newer but add no value to society. Second, en blocs lead to more mickey mouse condos, which in the long run are not a healthy thing to Singapore, which prefer to have larger family units. Third, en blocs and the ensuing tear-downs and rebuilding increase Singapore's carbon footprint.
    Also, we are seeing smaller and smaller HDB flats with every SERS (just like condos)!

Also, don't be fooled by the headlines. The new cooling measures are not what the name suggests. They are actually blunt tools used by the government to stop the en bloc craze from spiralling out of control. The government cannot just say we don't want more en blocs, because that would alienate Singaporens.

En blocs are unhealthy. First, they are a waste of resources, with many perfectly fine housing blocs razed to make way for ones that are just newer but add no value to society. Second, en blocs lead to more mickey mouse condos, which in the long run are not a healthy thing to Singapore, which prefer to have larger family units. Third, en blocs and the ensuing tear-downs and rebuilding increase Singapore's carbon footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    Based on your logic, the same is true for HDB SERS! - That is, HDB SERS
    are unhealthy. First, they are a waste of resources, with many perfectly fine housing blocs razed to make way for ones that are just newer but add no value to society. Second, en blocs lead to more mickey mouse condos, which in the long run are not a healthy thing to Singapore, which prefer to have larger family units. Third, en blocs and the ensuing tear-downs and rebuilding increase Singapore's carbon footprint.
    Also, we are seeing smaller and smaller HDB flats with every SERS (just like condos)!
    HDB was never build to be big.

LKY is the one who want it Big, thus the NG,I,A,Jumbo.

Singapore is unlike oversea where they got lot of land, they can just move out from one Town and create another Town.