Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Life is a struggle.You struggle ... again & again. And one day, you triumph

Quote Originally Posted by cbsh38584 View Post

Buy base on Buggy Jumping strategy - A huge phobia of heights
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bungee jumping is the scariest thing when you first step off the ledge but once you force yourself jump afterwards it feels amazing and really want to try again.

We should not be a frog in the well ( see the little patch of sky above inside the well).A person with a limited outlook when it comes to global events. So many things have changed after the once in a century US financial crisis in 2008. Stagnant pay , no certainty of job security , high cost of living (milk power), surging housing price , US/China trade war etc etc.

It is very tough when it comes to making a living. Retirement a scary prospect for lower/middle income group($1500-$5000). Without change in saving and investing behaviour, you expect to work as slaves for money for the rest of your life. Hopefully, you health permit you to work beyond age 70. Life is always a struggle. So do not get yourself into a painful struggle which you can avoid at young age. 金钱不是万能的 没有金钱是万万不能的. Money is not everything no money is totally NO NO NO in SG. Start investing as young as possible.

It is extremely importantly when you invest, you need to choose a journey of investing against the herd instinct group of majority people (90%). I have made many mistakes & survived. I survived 1997/98 Asia financial in 1998 & the 2008/2009 US financial crisis. My 20yrs + investing experience accumulated tell me that patience is really key in crisis investing. Investing in crisis time is the most rewarding and it will shortened your journey to Financial Freedom. But it is one of the most difficult investing decision. Only the "very NEW investor (pnly <10%) , very experience investors who have gone through a few of these crisis , investors which has alot of CASH avail will only dare to invest.

Do not blindly follow your remisers, your bankers , your friends/relative , analysis report recommendation etc. If your base on your stock mkt or individual stock FEAR analysis. Your decision will be more right than wrong. At least you are buying price way below calm (no fear) price. Example. Bankers/other recommend starhub at $3.50(calm price ) (high was 4.50 - very optimistic price ) base on dividend yield (5%). You will likely to lose a lot as the price is now $1.68. It is the same for M1 or Keppel corp, SembCorp etc.

Fool me ONCE , shame on YOU. (kena scammed playing penny stock)
    Fool me TWICE, shame on ME. (Take revenge to recoup earlier penny stock loses)
    Fool me 3rd TIME,How STUPID I am. (Base on hope investing - Old habit dies hard)
    Fool me the 4th TIME, I need to be CONDEMNED.( Still cant get rid of herd instinct investing)
    Fool me the 5th , 6th TIME, Totally hopeless gamblers (borrow from parent , friends, relative , loan shark).
    The final tragedy for a hopeless GAMBLER will bring financial disaster to his/her families.

Below are a few small & big crisis that stock price is more attractive (fear price - NOT EXTREMELY fear like the 2008/2009)
    2010 - Middle east crisis
    2011 - Greece or Europe debt crisis
    2012 - US deficit crisis (now all ok - just print more)
    2015 - China crisis
    2016 - Russia & Oil & gas crisis
    2019/2020 - Continuous Trade war or Balloon US debt lead to Global crisis soon
    ?

Invest like Warren buffet (richest man in the world).
    1) Buy during "tough" times. Tought times never last. Extreme CHEAP or VALUE stock happen during blood in the street (CARSH).
    Buy during blood in the street . The downside risk is tremendously reduced. Upside gain is tremendous.

2) Buy good blue chip stock (SG & 3 big China banks) & keep a long-term to collect dividend. Just like you are buying a "property " renting out to collect rental

3)UNIT TRUST - Buy during FEAR times
    A unit trust pools money together & is managed by a professional mgr. It attempt to create portfolios that outperform the mkt over a long period of time (15 to 25 yrs).

Schroder growth fund - Return 8%+ since incept (1991)
    UOB Global health fund -Return 8%+ since incept (2001)
    1st statement dividend fund - Return 8%+ since incept
    AIA regional equity fund - Return 8%+ since incept
    Prudential SG managed - Return 6%+ since incept (1991
    Aberdeen pacific equity fund - Return 9%+ since incept

Bond fund (R2-3) Low risk return 2-3%
    -------------------------------------------
    Invests primarily in fixed-income assets, such as treasury bonds, corporate bonds or municipal bond. During the optimistic time, you can switch to Bond fund & wait for the next crisis to come & switch buy to high risk unit trust.
    More for experience investors.

Balanced Fund (R5) - Moderate risk . Return 3%-4%
    Invests in both stocks (50%) and bonds (50%).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Income fund (R6) - Slightly high risk return 4% to 5%
    Invest into stocks that have consistently high dividends like banks , reits , telco etc.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Growth Fund (8) High risk return >10%.Can also be -10%
    invests in stocks that have the potential to grow substantially
    like Alibaba, Amazon etcAs long as your have the long term investment horizon. Itshould able to outperform in long run (15 -20yrs).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sector fund (7-8) - High risk
    Invests in stocks in a particular industry sector, like financial services , mining or world energy , health care etc.
    Don't put everything into one basket (sector risk)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Single country fund - High risk. No diversification.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Example if there is a Korea war. The Korea fund will be greatly hit the most.
    Vietnam fund was launched at $1.00 in 2007. Still below $1 after 10 yrs.

Young investors can afford to buy (fear) growth fund as long as they have the long term investment horizon. This is to ride through the roller coaster volatility . Holding period at least 15 yrs.But if you are in the 50s. The best optional is to buy income stock. Give quarterly dividend. Timing entry is important.

If you are in the 60s. Better put your money into your own CPF earning 2.5% to 6%.I have "deposited" into my Father's (age 88) CPF RA acct earning 6% (1st 30k is 6%. Next 30k is 5%).

Very important to take note
    ------------------------------------
    Greed investing kills just like speeding on the road which will eventually kill you .Never touch speculative stock especially small cap. Don’t trade as it will be a waste of time due to your own human emotional weakness.

Just be very patience. Wait for the next crisis to come to buy EXTREME fear price. Investing is very simple to grow your retirement. It is you who make it very complex , difficult or no guarantee win. It all about own GREED & herd investing.

CPF is part of your alternative retirement. So start self contribute cash to max out $37k/year (employee + employer+ own cash) if you have the ability. Any excess of 37k/yr, CPF will return the excess with ZERO invest. Start from $100 per mth through ASX machine.
    Bank stock - Long term holding.
    ===================
    My friend's brother-in-law bought 3000 shares of DBS @$28 in 1999. A very smart guy holding a operation mgr post in a American MNC. Wrong timing but if he stick to his believe that banks stock in long run . It will outperform Fixed Deposit.

Dropped below $10 in Oct2001 (2 plane crashed in NY tower on Sep2001). Dropped below $9 during Sar 2003. 19 years later, it went up above $30. So he is in the money (Dividend + 2 right issues below $15 ) if he did not sell after holding for 19 hrs. It is better than
    Fixed D as well as CPF OA.

Buy good blue chip stock (SG banks & 3 big China banks ) keep a long-term to collect dividend. Just like you are buying a "property " renting out for rental income. Timing is important.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bungee jumping is the scariest thing when you first step off the ledge but once you force yourself jump afterwards it feels amazing and really want to try again.

We should not be a frog in the well ( see the little patch of sky above inside the well).A person with a limited outlook when it comes to global events. So many things have changed after the once in a century US financial crisis in 2008. Stagnant pay , no certainty of job security , high cost of living (milk power), surging housing price , US/China trade war etc etc.

It is very tough when it comes to making a living. Retirement a scary prospect for lower/middle income group($1500-$5000). Without change in saving and investing behaviour, you expect to work as slaves for money for the rest of your life. Hopefully, you health permit you to work beyond age 70. Life is always a struggle. So do not get yourself into a painful struggle which you can avoid at young age. 金钱不是万能的 没有金钱是万万不能的. Money is not everything no money is totally NO NO NO in SG. Start investing as young as possible.

It is extremely importantly when you invest, you need to choose a journey of investing against the herd instinct group of majority people (90%). I have made many mistakes & survived. I survived 1997/98 Asia financial in 1998 & the 2008/2009 US financial crisis. My 20yrs + investing experience accumulated tell me that patience is really key in crisis investing. Investing in crisis time is the most rewarding and it will shortened your journey to Financial Freedom. But it is one of the most difficult investing decision. Only the "very NEW investor (pnly <10%) , very experience investors who have gone through a few of these crisis , investors which has alot of CASH avail will only dare to invest.

Do not blindly follow your remisers, your bankers , your friends/relative , analysis report recommendation etc. If your base on your stock mkt or individual stock FEAR analysis. Your decision will be more right than wrong. At least you are buying price way below calm (no fear) price. Example. Bankers/other recommend starhub at $3.50(calm price ) (high was 4.50 - very optimistic price ) base on dividend yield (5%). You will likely to lose a lot as the price is now $1.68. It is the same for M1 or Keppel corp, SembCorp etc.

Fool me 3rd TIME,How STUPID I am. (Base on hope investing - Old habit dies hard)
    Fool me the 4th TIME, I need to be CONDEMNED.( Still cant get rid of herd instinct investing)
    Fool me the 5th , 6th TIME, Totally hopeless gamblers (borrow from parent , friends, relative , loan shark).
    The final tragedy for a hopeless GAMBLER will bring financial disaster to his/her families.

Below are a few small & big crisis that stock price is more attractive (fear price - NOT EXTREMELY fear like the 2008/2009)
    2015 - China crisis
    ?

1) Buy during "tough" times. Tought times never last. Extreme CHEAP or VALUE stock happen during blood in the street (CARSH).
    Buy during blood in the street . The downside risk is tremendously reduced. Upside gain is tremendous.

2) Buy good blue chip stock (SG & 3 big China banks) & keep a long-term to collect dividend. Just like you are buying a "property " renting out to collect rental

A unit trust pools money together & is managed by a professional mgr. It attempt to create portfolios that outperform the mkt over a long period of time (15 to 25 yrs).

Invests primarily in fixed-income assets, such as treasury bonds, corporate bonds or municipal bond. During the optimistic time, you can switch to Bond fund & wait for the next crisis to come & switch buy to high risk unit trust.

Invest into stocks that have consistently high dividends like banks , reits , telco etc.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

like Alibaba, Amazon etcAs long as your have the long term investment horizon. Itshould able to outperform in long run (15 -20yrs).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Invests in stocks in a particular industry sector, like financial services , mining or world energy , health care etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Young investors can afford to buy (fear) growth fund as long as they have the long term investment horizon. This is to ride through the roller coaster volatility . Holding period at least 15 yrs.But if you are in the 50s. The best optional is to buy income stock. Give quarterly dividend. Timing entry is important.

If you are in the 60s. Better put your money into your own CPF earning 2.5% to 6%.I have "deposited" into my Father's (age 88) CPF RA acct earning 6% (1st 30k is 6%. Next 30k is 5%).

Greed investing kills just like speeding on the road which will eventually kill you .Never touch speculative stock especially small cap. Don’t trade as it will be a waste of time due to your own human emotional weakness.

Just be very patience. Wait for the next crisis to come to buy EXTREME fear price. Investing is very simple to grow your retirement. It is you who make it very complex , difficult or no guarantee win. It all about own GREED & herd investing.

CPF is part of your alternative retirement. So start self contribute cash to max out $37k/year (employee + employer+ own cash) if you have the ability. Any excess of 37k/yr, CPF will return the excess with ZERO invest. Start from $100 per mth through ASX machine.

My son school principal bought DBS during the Lehman crisis in 2009 @$7+. Forgotten about it due to her busy schedule.
    She found out her DBS stock contract when she did a housekeeping years later in 2012. She took profit @$12+.
    Regret it. A normal herd instinct behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    2019/2020 - Continuous Trade war or Balloon US debt lead to the Global crisis soon?

When more people know Bank print money, MAS (Central Bank) control the flow more will move their money to the asset.

Not in Singapore, rental at most cover your interest and you need 12% to 15% for SC to recover the ABSD.

Got a lot of Ya Ya see show flat when they think of ABSD L L keep quite.

To buy 3 property now.

Property 1, BSD(4%-15400)+25%(5%CASH or 20%CPF)
    Property 2, BSD(4%-15400)+55%(25%CASH or 30%CPF)
    Property 3, BSD(4%-15400)+65%(25%CASH or 40%CPF)

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...asure-10546854

Did the Government intervene too early in Singapore’s private housing market?
    Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...asure-10546854

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...asure-10546854

Did the Government intervene too early in Singapore’s private housing market?
    Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...asure-10546854
    i think after the cooling measures, many analysts have forgotten/underestimated the en bloc buyers, some of whom are now "first time home buyers".

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Indeed, so the hoo-la-la in properties will still continue for another 2-3 years?
    Anyway, new enbloc sales will be mostly killed because of the enbloc tax imposed on developers? This will have great impact on old 99-years leasehold properties whom are very anxious to sell before their lease remaining is <70 years old and there will be very few buyers for such properties (and even if there are buyers they will give "low-ball" bid price!)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter View Post
    i think after the cooling measures, many analysts have forgotten/underestimated the en bloc buyers, some of whom are now "first time home buyers".

i just think that the market will be flattish but not necessarily "crash" as some people are calling it. location and lease tenure will indeed increase in importance.

2015 - China crisis
    ?

Base on Buggy jumping strategy to buy. Aud/Sgd. $1.30 (too optimistic price). 1.08 (calm price). Now 1 Aud$ = S$0.97 (fear price). All time low is 1Aud=$96 (2008 crisis).

Base on Buggy jumping strategy to buy. Aud/Sgd. $1.30 (too optimistic price). 1.08 (calm price). Now 1 Aud$ = S$0.97 (fear price). All time low is 1Aud=$96 (2008 crisis).
    Australia got lot of future, they got lot of land, resource, water, people are "hard-working", very smart people descendant from the "Best of the Best" in Britain.

Everyday is a tough day at work.We follow norms. We try hard not to deviate to other people’s standards. We 'go with the flow’. We always try to blend in to be able to "accept" by our colleagues in our work place.

End of the day, we just need to know & understand we are just a ordinary people living in this earth never have a free & peaceful mind for a moment. Since your boss, colleagues, friends & you are human & not immortals (god) , All of us are bound to have distractions (extreme agitation of the mind) and emotional.

It is difficult to avoid office politics in your work place. We may not be able to change them (unreasonable, sarcastic, sabotage , the fake etc). but we'll be able to live in peace with those around us. Learning to ignore things is one of the greatest path to inner peace. It takes very long time to understand.

I was "Mark" by other department boss who has influence on my promotion. I was scolded on my 2nd day of my new job for not knowing my work well. It did not really bother be a lot .I will "Never give up the whole forest for one tree". I don't fall into the trap of thinking about politics in my workplace. Just work hard, be cheerful, ignore it . I just follow three rules: Do the right thing, do the best I can, and work as a team together. If you want to go FAST , go alone. If you want to go FAR , work as a team.

When comes to a relationship with your wife/husband ,never expect your wife to have your "mother DNA" and the wife must accept that the husband does have "his Mother DNA". So let live & live. If you expect fairness 50% 50% when comes to relationship. Likely you will not have a peace of mind & stable relationship. I can accept 70% 30% with my wife to have a peace of mind & better relationship. 人生何其短,何必苦苦争.

Since I am just a ordinary person , I am bound to have distractions (extreme agitation of the mind) and emotional. It lead to mental & physical stress.

1) Exercise & drink a lot of water
    Maintain good health is the best wealth. I love to exercise. It releases happy chemicals (Dopamine) .I felt energetic & prepare me to fight the stress in my daily life. Dopamine, a chemical that plays a role in happiness, is a neurotransmitter in the brain that’s necessary for feelings of pleasure and happiness.

2) Music therapy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm0sToWtatw&t=6058s
    I teach my sons Maths & English with rain sound music to cool me down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWq8NYAImLY&t=436s.
    Too many ordinary driver (including me) with distraction. Anger mgmt.

Everyday is a tough day at work.We follow norms. We try hard not to deviate to other people’s standards. We 'go with the flow’. We always try to blend in to be able to "accept" by our colleagues in our work place.

End of the day, we just need to know & understand we are just a ordinary people living in this earth never have a free & peaceful mind for a moment. Since your boss, colleagues, friends & you are human & not immortals (god) , All of us are bound to have distractions (extreme agitation of the mind) and emotional.

It is difficult to avoid office politics in your work place. We may not be able to change them (unreasonable, sarcastic, sabotage , the fake etc). but we'll be able to live in peace with those around us. Learning to ignore things is one of the greatest path to inner peace. It takes very long time to understand.

I was "Mark" by other department boss who has influence on my promotion. I was scolded on my 2nd day of my new job for not knowing my work well. It did not really bother be a lot .I will "Never give up the whole forest for one tree". I don't fall into the trap of thinking about politics in my workplace. Just work hard, be cheerful, ignore it . I just follow three rules: Do the right thing, do the best I can, and work as a team together. If you want to go FAST , go alone. If you want to go FAR , work as a team.

When comes to a relationship with your wife/husband ,never expect your wife to have your "mother DNA" and the wife must accept that the husband does have "his Mother DNA". So let live & live. If you expect fairness 50% 50% when comes to relationship. Likely you will not have a peace of mind & stable relationship. I can accept 70% 30% with my wife to have a peace of mind & better relationship. 人生何其短,何必苦苦争.

Since I am just a ordinary person , I am bound to have distractions (extreme agitation of the mind) and emotional. It lead to mental & physical stress.

1) Exercise & drink a lot of water
    Maintain good health is the best wealth. I love to exercise. It releases happy chemicals (Dopamine) .I felt energetic & prepare me to fight the stress in my daily life. Dopamine, a chemical that plays a role in happiness, is a neurotransmitter in the brain that’s necessary for feelings of pleasure and happiness.

2) Music therapy.
    I teach my sons Maths & English with rain sound music to cool me down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWq8NYAImLY&t=436s.
    Too many ordinary driver (including me) with distraction. Anger mgmt.
    Remind me of my life before 21 May 2018.

Be a banker

Singapore is the fastest growing private wealth management hub. It has grown its assets under management from $1.17 billion in 2007 to $2.7 trillion in 2017. It may "overthrow" Switzerland to clinch the top spot in global offshore wealth mgmt by 2020. US bank also sees Singapore as one of the top offshore RMB hub by 2020 (Better learn to write & speak Mandarin well).

The Singapore Govt has been given the AAA credit rating by international credit rating agencies since mid 90s. So Singapore dollar always draws safe haven seekers from Malaysia, Indonesia, China etc. The strength of S$ is proven as a worth holding value. It has appreciated against Ringgit (From 1 S$ =Rm$1.6 to Rm$3), USD (from S$2 to S$1.38) pound (from 1 Pound =S$3 to S$1.8), Canada (From 1 Can =1.45 to 1.06), Australian (from 1 Aus = S$1.3 to S$0.97) etc . As long as we continue to see worries over corrupted govt mismanagement policies still persist , then Singapore may still benefit from the safe-haven tag.

If you are a young graduate or below age 30, hardworking (no 9 to 5 attitude) , self motivated to learn (knowledge is power) & have average good communication skill willing to serve all type of walk of life clients. Then you should seek opportunities to work in the banking sector. An ave banker can retire @age 55. Above ave banker can retire @ age 50. A good banker can retire @ age 40.
    A star banker earn more than our minister pay. Just don't make mistake & mis-sell. Follow stricitly the bank rule & regulation.

My friend's daughter just graduated from NUS (political science) with ave result. But she can "talk" well. Got a retail banking job selling bank products. Starting pay $3600. My nephew is just a ave student but always on the move to learn. Go door to door selling yakult (part-time). He just took "any" fast track private degree course (1.5 yrs) .Got a job in the bank with starting pay $3k. Example of "Action is the measure of intelligence".

I saw my former Polytechnic lecturer at UOB securities working as a remisier in the 90s (boom times).He definitely make the right career switch. His impatience & short temper character is totally not suitable for him to work as a lecturer. A few of my poly classmates wrote a complain letter to HR dept about his way of teaching.

My senior friend knows that a good experience banker earns est 500k to 600k a year. He brought me to see his new banker (mid 30s).
    We were very surprise he can earn 300k+ a year at such a young age. He is just above average banker. Can easily retired 10 yrs later at mid 40s if he decided to quit due to stress.

I have a rare opportunities to meet & talk to a young SAF sword of honour recipient in 2007 whom my friend brought him to have a game of badminton. He told me that he was going to London to work in the banking sector ( Barclay ). He was promoted to mgr level years later. By now he must have earned > S$18 mil after 10 yrs on the job. Star bankers per annum income can exceed $3 mil. Look at our former SMRT CEO ,"a few star" SAF general (probably also SAF sword of honour recipient) . So stressful working in this political charge SMRT company earning $1.5mil to 2mil a year. He just resigned 6 mths ago after less than 2-3 years on the job.

My friend bankers were so good they were put over to take charge of the SG tycoon billionaire investment portfolio. Each (FX & equity ) given $200mil to manage. They will be paid handsomely better than his current bank job if they are able to meet a certain set of performance return.

I know 3 bankers got promoted to a branch mgr within 6 yrs. Singapore banks (DBS , UOB & OCBC) are at their most profitable companies. It is because US FED keeps printing trillion of $$$$$. Sale target is easy to meet due to low interest rate environment for the past 18 years. My former lady banker talk to me like "ah lian" (Don't like that leh in hokkien). I like her style.She is in the early 40s. Probably can quit in a 10 years time to become a full time small tai tai.

Banking and finance is one of the most stressful jobs. But it is worth it as the amount of money you earn in 10-15 yrs will enable you to quit if you want. A good matured banker can easily switch bank & may get a higher salary than previous employer. But not for matured moderate skill engineer at age 40+. Likely to get pay cut. Worst cannot find job & become a taxi driver.

Since banking is a stressful job. You need to know why to de-stress.
    Exercise - Maintain good health is the best wealth

Drink a lot of water everyday.
    It keep your body system healthy

Go to a Calm place like garden by the bay in the morning.. Peaceful & calm. It is so much better when it is raining.
    Looking at the water flow down from the dome glass is a enjoyment. Peaceful & calm.

Rain sound Music therapy. etc etc

Yoga meditation (new to me).
    A variety of techniques, including postures and movement, breath awareness and breathing exercises, and relaxation and concentration

[/SIZE][/B]

2015 - China crisis
    ?

Today The Straits time FRONT PAGE news - ASIAN MARKETS SELL-OFF

It mean fear in the market. A buy signal for emerging market.

Fear can turn into Worst fear. It mean a best buy signal

When all world central bank pump in money to rescue the stock market. It is all time best buy. But you need
    to wait much longer time.

Be positive. 2019 new year resolution. Be more happy & healthy
    ====================================================

我 们 的 烦 脑 跟 病 是 想 出来. 我 们 已经 10 年 被 耽误. 終於覺醒.

After so many years of negative thinking. It seriously affect relationship with family, friends etc. Finally now can see through it all.
    No longer "locking up" myself. I want to remove my chains (negative thought).

Accept that life is always up and down. Good days give you happiness; bad days give you experiences; both are essential to life.

RIVER never go reverse. So try to live like RIVER, forget the past & focus on future….Always be positive

In fate, it was already decided that you be rich or poor,
    If life destines something for you, you will have it in the end.
    Fate brings people together even thousand miles from far apart.

Be happy as Happiness is the best cosmetic and health.

Yup. Personally, we bought an office unit that's on it's way to en bloc as well. It happened because of me and my partner running an e-Commerce marketing company and we manage to buy it after setting up the company for 6 months.

The American has given Asia 40 yrs of prosperity since 1970s. Job hopping is so common in 80s.90s. Some of my friends job hopped >8 times. In the 80s/90s/early 2000s, we have the hard disk ,pager ($300 each) , Motorola V6 handphone , HP Optocoupler IC , fiber etc etc industries booming.
    Many things have changed after the once in a century US financial crisis in 2008/09. Stagnant pay in some "sunset companies" , job security a problem for late 40s or early 50s employees, high cost of living (milk power), surging housing price , surging insurance premium due to high medical cost etc etc

AI technologies
    --------------------
    Nearly 1 in 5 SG employees fears losing jobs to automation.
    In China, at Foxconn, which makes the iPhone. The robots have already replaced about 60k workers. More jobs will be loss by 2025 through automation.

Protectionism - Global Trade war under Trump
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Trump trade wars with China and its allies

5G technologies - Everybody loves speed
    4G transfer speeds 1 ggb per sec. That means it takes about an hr to download a short HD movie
    5G transfer speeds 10-20 ggb per sec. That means a full HD movie can be downloaded in a matter of second

China is aggressively developing 5G technologies . The American wants to stop China .
    Jobs securities - disruptive tech, relocation etc
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    My friend (Single) was retrenched at age 51 as it was relocated to cheaper country. Many Interviews are a waste of time as most of the bosses prefer fresh & young. Just like men prefer to look for fresh & young girl. That how he feels.

Terrorism in Singapore a long term threat

Low birth rate in SG (lowest in the world 1.2)
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Japan's falling birth rate posing serious problems for economy
    By 2065, it is projected to drop to 88 million from 127 million (2017) if nothing is being done to increase it.
    FYI, Singapore birth rate is even lower than Japan. So SG needs to import immigrants which will cause a lot of unhappiness.

金钱不是万能的 没有金钱是万万不能的
    Money is not everything no money is totally NO NO NO in SG

人无远虑, 必有近忧.
    If one has no long-term considerations, he can hardly avoid troubles every now and then.; He who has no anxious thoughts for the future will find trouble right at hand.; If a man is not farsighted, he is bound to encounter difficulties in the near future.; Those who do not plan for the future will find trouble at their doorstep.

It is very
    clear the trade war is all about 5G (Huawei).4G transfer speeds 1 ggb per sec.It takes about an hr to download a short HD movie
    5G transfer speeds 10-20 ggb per sec. That means a full HD movie can be downloaded in a matter of second.

My son piano lesson is $45 for 45 mins in SG. He took extra lesson through online from China teacher for $10 an hour. His SG piano teacher started to panic when my wife told him about learning piano through oversea online. Using 4G technologies .

How does it affect you & me or Singapore if 5G is avail by 2020-2030.

Good music is like therapy for health. It is often linked to mood. A certain song can make us feel happy, sad, energetic, or relaxed.

2019 is all about CHANGE - I am going to change my life today

Trump and the American have changed. I am changing with it. If it doesn't challenge me.it won't change me.

Huawei 5G & AI technologies will CHANGE our life dramatically. So I must CHANGE. Shift my Mindset and Embrace CHANGE. An educated man is a man never stop learning and want to learn (LKY quote).

CHANGE our attitude toward our CPF. Pain now. Enjoy later..Dont gamble on the future retirement. Act now without delay.
    I hated every minutes of my money being locked in my CPF , but I said to myself. Take the leap of faith & persevered. Continue contributing to CPF. I will live a more comfortable retirement for my rest of my life.

It is difficult to avoid office politics in your work place. We may not be able to CHANGE them (They AIN'T GOD) but we'll be able to live in peace with those around us. Learning to ignore things is one of the greatest path to inner peace.

CHANGE your perception of a good relationship .Every relationship goes through a struggle.
    All of us have different opinions and thinking . Live and let live is the secret of happier relationship.
    Be more understanding and forgiving - I am not perfect (AIN’T GOD,I am only human.So if I make mistakes, read the first sentence again.
    Mistakes are proof that he is TRYING.

Judge nothing, you will be happy. Forgive everything, you will be happier. Love everything, you will be happiest.

Health is not valued till chronic disease comes. Greatest wealth is HEALTH. EAT healthily. Exercise regularly , live life positively & shift your mindset positively.

ALL THE BEST FOR 2019.

Agree. Every year your money just depreciate 2.84%.

The land cost only increases by 100% in 7 years.

If you are staying in HDB you are safe, the value of HDB will not become zero because of VERS.

https://scontent-sin2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...03&oe=5C9AA489

2019 is all about CHANGE - I am going to change my life today

Trump and the American have changed. I am changing with it. If it doesn't challenge me.it won't change me.

Huawei 5G & AI technologies will CHANGE our life dramatically. So I must CHANGE. Shift my Mindset and Embrace CHANGE. An educated man is a man never stop learning and want to learn (LKY quote).

CHANGE our attitude toward our CPF. Pain now. Enjoy later..Dont gamble on the future retirement. Act now without delay.
    I hated every minutes of my money being locked in my CPF , but I said to myself. Take the leap of faith & persevered. Continue contributing to CPF. I will live a more comfortable retirement for my rest of my life.

It is difficult to avoid office politics in your work place. We may not be able to CHANGE them (They AIN'T GOD) but we'll be able to live in peace with those around us. Learning to ignore things is one of the greatest path to inner peace.

CHANGE your perception of a good relationship .Every relationship goes through a struggle.
    All of us have different opinions and thinking . Live and let live is the secret of happier relationship.
    Be more understanding and forgiving - I am not perfect (AIN’T GOD,I am only human.So if I make mistakes, read the first sentence again.
    Mistakes are proof that he is TRYING.

Judge nothing, you will be happy. Forgive everything, you will be happier. Love everything, you will be happiest.

Health is not valued till chronic disease comes. Greatest wealth is HEALTH. EAT healthily. Exercise regularly , live life positively & shift your mindset positively.

ALL THE BEST FOR 2019.
    Our compulsory health insurance - Medishield life plan (optional add on private Integrated plan IP)

If u put bananas and $$ infront of monkeys, monkeys will choose bananas, because monkeys do not know that$$ can buy a lot of bananas. In reality, if you put $$ and health in front ofpeople, people tend to choose $$ because their simple minds often becomefixated on chasing instant gratification ( desire to experience pleasure w/odelay).Many people do not know that health can bring more happiness &wealth.

When you are young and healthy you probably won’t even consideryour health as important .You never imagine that one day they could getdiabetes or cholesterol problems as you neglect your health . Many healthproblems are also related to stress. Stress will worsen or increase the risk ofconditions like obesity, heart disease, diabetes, depression, gastrointestinalproblems etc. SO HEALTH IS NOT VALUE until Chronic disease comes.

Within days , Govt will give $3k into the new born baby medisave acct. The baby will have the basic medishield life plan without IP. It is up to parent to buy add on private IP from insurance company. There are different plan for IP. IP with govt B1 & A class ward. Private hospital with B1 and A class. Can check with insurance agent as it keep changing.

I did a manual calculation medishield life plan with add on IP (govt A class). Assuming no subsidies ( multiple ppty or high income earner etc.)
    Payable through CPF MA (age 1 to age 85) = $47k + 48k (
    due to withdraw limit set by CPF. Out of 48k. est 20k must come from cash) + 52k (IP payable cash).
    Total = 47k + 48k + 52k = $147k (this figure will not stay long since my agent told me they are going to increase on the IP cash portion). Insurance lose $

If you go for private hospital private plan IP. Probably u pay 2-3x more of $147k. FYI, a family of 4 will likely to pay > $1 million for private hospital A class plan (from age 1 to age 85). Sooner or later, those who have private hospital A class plan will force to downgrade as it is really too expensive after age 60-65. The govt recently said that they have the right policies in place. This is one of the policy. Take from the Richs & subsidies the poor & the unhealthy ones. So

Old eldershield collected $2b.Payout $200m+.
    New eldershield (rename care shield ) will be compulsory at age 30 wef 2021
    . This is another right policy in place.

The era of hyperinflation
    ---------------------------
    As US dollar is a global currency. So they can run a trade deficit for past 40 straight years. It can print & pay people dollars as long as the world are willing to accept it. They can perpetually consume more than what they can earn (earn3k spend 4k). So never before has there been so much money & rarely has money been so cheap (zero interest). Yet the US FED , European & Japan central bank continue to pump hundred billion of dollars in the world. We have been flooded by trillions of $ in the world. Can they continue to print & sustain for the next 5-10 yrs ?

Alan Greenspan (early 2000) - No Chance of Default, The US Can Always Print Its Way Out Of Debt
    Bernanke - Student debt (US$1 trillion $) no threat to U.S. financial system. They can continue to print.
    Former US president Obama - Its administration turns on money printing machine
    Trump - 'print money' to lower the national debt (US$21 Trillion)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1978 - HDB 4 room flat price = $24k. HDB valuation est $400k (2018).
    Fixed deposit in the 1970s is 8%-9%

2016 - HDB 4 room BTO flat price = $400k (without HDB grant).
    Fixed deposit rate is 1.2% to 1.5%. Saving rate is 0.2%

2012 - Queenstown HDB (1700sqft) sold at $1 million
    2017 - More HDB Resale Flats Hit The $1 Million Mark
    2018 - Holland drive HDB 1259sqft (38 floor) sold at $1.1m
    2018 - Clementi HDB 5 -room flat at Clementi Towers sold at $1.068m & more to come.

So protect yourself from inflation .Buy the biggest HDB BTO if you can. Biggest BTO means U get the biggest subsidy. My friend bought his 1st BTO 5rm flat $300k plus in 2006. Recent transaction 630k to 700k. He is trying his luck again to get a 2nd time BTO flat. His father (Msian - age 70) lost a lot of money in Msian stock. He commented that S'pore HDB is a best govt subsidise BTO HDB flat worth buying & to make money.

My friend bought "govt" EC at 350psf in early 2000s. Recent transaction 700+psf. But don't ever buy 2nd private ppty if your job is not secured & you have to increase your debt which lead to precarious situation. A guy retrenched from Starhub (senior position). He got to sell away his 2nd private ppty to reduce debt.

My (late 50s) sold Yishun 4 rm flat (80 yrs lease left - >$350k). Downgrade to 3 rm BTO flat (reset to lease 99) cost less than 280k. Some surplus money of go back to her CPF retirement fund.

My relative (Single age 64). Downgrade from 3 rm flat (<70 yrs lease left - sold >320k). Successfully got a new BTO 2 rm flat @55k After HDB grant (without grant 80k) . It is only 30 yrs lease. His Retirement needs is further strengthen.

Medical cost inflation is getting higher and higher.
    =====================================
    Our Medishield premium to cover (compulsory) all S'porean & PR has been increasing by 100% to 200% since it implementation in 2015. It will continue to increase.

You are likely to pay est $150k or more premium from age 1 to age 85 if you hv Basic Medishield + (optional) integrated plan (govt A class ).
    You are likely to pay est $250k or more premiun from age 1 to age 85 if you hv Basic Medishield + (optional) integrated plan (Private A class)

But if you have just the Basic medishield life. It will be so much cheaper. But it does not cover all medical expenses + waiting time is so much longer. HEALTH IS ALWAYS NOT VALUE until Chronic disease comes. Pls ALWAYS keep a healthy life style. Exercise more, drink more, listen to meditation music more, be more forgiving to lead less stressful life etc etc.

2018 - Medisave acct ceiling limit is $54,500
    2019 - Medisave acct ceiling limit is $57,200 (5% INCREASE)
    2020 - Medisave acct ceiling limit is $60K ??? To be advised by CPF board.

SG society (or our govt) is the kind of society that does not let it's people rest especially those working people. U will Work & work till beyond age 65 if you dont plan your retirement early using CPF as a retirement tool. Go for your retirement need as No1 priority. Meet the full retirement sum 4-5% (now 176k) as early as possible . Then you can start to invest in bank shares (timing is important) or even buy 2nd ppty if you are very comfortable to service your 2nd ppty for very long term without any problems.

U work 50-60 hrs a wk with stressful office politics & still struggling to provide a decent meal for family. In the meantime the high flyer banker just sit down behind a computer with a keyboard making millions of money in just minutes. This how the Richs get richer. The power of cheap money.This is not only wrong. This is maybe evil system created by the central bank who keep printing $$$. Now the US wants China to open up " wide " its financial sector so that they can implement this "evil banking system" into China. All of my China friend don't making $ in China stock mkt. The reason for losing is always "GREEDY".

My last 9 yrs (since 2010) in buying bond has been doing reasonable well with leveraging (borrowing cost 1% to 1.6%). Now less leveraging due to higher borrowing cost (2.5% to 3.5%).

My tgt to have $100k in my SON CPF SA b4 age 18.
    My wife CPF full retirement sum (176k) is already met <age 40.
    Hopefully to have $1.5m in my CPF "saving acct" (AAA rated govt bond with risk free high interest rate) by at age 65.Still a long way.
    Bought bank share . For long term holding. No penny stock.

Hopefully I am "lucky" again to sell or reduce my investment portfolio b4 another bigger than Lehman crisis (2008/09) comes.

Notice no holding of property.

Property is still one of the best.

Attended a talk by Minister Heng and this book was highly recommended by him and according to him, it was also well liked by Mr LKY

Manias, Panics, and Crashes: A History of Financial Crises
    Book by Charles P. Kindleberger

Currently, it is in 7th edition.

Notice no holding of property.

Property is still one of the best.
    There is no guarantee that property is still one of the best unless you have the holding power to withstand all the storms including job loss and recession.
    If you calculate the net yield, cash flow, etc...and you know Sg Govt is not encouraging property speculation nor over heating property market.
    Appreciation in property prices is going to be very slow in line with GDP and inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna View Post
    There is no guarantee that property is still one of the best unless you have the holding power to withstand all the storms including job loss and recession.
    If you calculate the net yield, cash flow, etc...and you know Sg Govt is not encouraging property speculation nor over heating property market.
    Appreciation in property prices is going to be very slow in line with GDP and inflation.
    You are right they want it to be slow, 7 years land cost increase 100% in line with GDP and inflation.

Maybe my math not so accurate. Can someone calculate and share how much the Land cost increase.

https://www.ura.gov.sg/maps/?service...LEASE&site=948

https://www.ura.gov.sg/-/media/Corpo...y/pr10-61a.pdf

DATE TENDER CLOSED : 20/05/2010

1 MCL LAND (SERANGOON) PTE LTD 207,500,000.00 4,908.45

https://www.ura.gov.sg/-/media/Corpo...l/pr17-50a.pdf

DATE TENDER CLOSED : 27 JULY 2017

1 Corson Pte. Ltd. and Wingjoy Investment Pte. Ltd. 446,280,000.00 10,385.13
    Last edited by Arcachon; 21-01-19 at 22:29.

If you wait and buy later, you only pay a bit more from $974psf to $1662psf should be in line with inflation and GDP.

Only $688 psf more.
    Last edited by Arcachon; 21-01-19 at 23:12.

In a span of 30-40 years of earning-investing which most of us are in or about to go in, 7 years is short to take a snapshot and make a grand example out of it. How many 100% increase in 7 years do you think there will be? No one knows. But one thing for sure, we know the decades we have is finite.

For a fact, anyone who can save aside money and invest wisely, consistently in their 20s, it is better than doing it in their 30s, 40s or 50s.

Property is just one instrument of investment but its not the universe. Would you say property is the best? Depends on which timeline you are in. For someone who invested in their 20s, 20 years ago versus someone in their 20s investing today in 2019 in a property, the outcome may be potentially very different.

Do not put all eggs in one basket (property or any other instrument). Things I am fixated are risk diversification (i.e IWDA.L /EIM.L) and the best measurement of wealth.....time.

Quote Originally Posted by PropVestor View Post
    In a span of 30-40 years of earning-investing which most of us are in or about to go in, 7 years is short to take a snapshot and make a grand example out of it. How many 100% increase in 7 years do you think there will be? No one knows. But one thing for sure, we know the decades we have is finite.

For a fact, anyone who can save aside money and invest wisely, consistently in their 20s, it is better than doing it in their 30s, 40s or 50s.

Property is just one instrument of investment but its not the universe. Would you say property is the best? Depends on which timeline you are in. For someone who invested in their 20s, 20 years ago versus someone in their 20s investing today in 2019 in a property, the outcome may be potentially very different.

Do not put all eggs in one basket (property or any other instrument). Things I am fixated are risk diversification (i.e IWDA.L /EIM.L) and the best measurement of wealth.....time.
    True 7 years a bit short.

https://www.stproperty.sg/articles-p...eloped/a/57635

Eng Cheong Tower was sold through a tender exercise. The top bid of $47.5 million by UOL and Low Keng Huat works out to a land price of about $240 per square foot of potential gross floor area, inclusive of development charges (DC) and a premium to top up the site's lease to 99 years.

Default Re: Life is a struggle.You struggle ... again & again. And one day, you triumph

[QUOTE=cbsh38584;538926] The era of hyperinflation---------------------------As US dollar is a global currency. So they can run a trade deficit for past 40 straight years. It can print & pay people dollars as long as the world are willing to accept it. They can perpetually consume more than what they can earn (earn3k spend 4k). So never before has there been so much money & rarely has money been so cheap (zero interest). Yet the US FED , European & Japan central bank continue to pump hundred billion of dollars in the world. We have been flooded by trillions of $ in the world. Can they continue to print & sustain for the next 5-10 yrs ?Alan Greenspan (early 2000) - No Chance of Default, The US Can Always Print Its Way Out Of DebtBernanke - Student debt (US$1 trillion $) no threat to U.S. financial system. They can continue to print.Former US president Obama - Its administration turns on money printing machine Trump - 'print money' to lower the national debt (US$21 Trillion)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1978 - HDB 4 room flat price = $24k. HDB valuation est $400k (2018).Fixed deposit in the 1970s is 8%-9%2016 - HDB 4 room BTO flat price = $400k (without HDB grant). Fixed deposit rate is 1.2% to 1.5%. Saving rate is 0.2% 2012 - Queenstown HDB (1700sqft) sold at $1 million 2017 - More HDB Resale Flats Hit The $1 Million Mark 2018 - Holland drive HDB 1259sqft (38 floor) sold at $1.1m2018 - Clementi HDB 5 -room flat at Clementi Towers sold at $1.068m & more to come.So protect yourself from inflation .Buy the biggest HDB BTO if you can. Biggest BTO means U get the biggest subsidy. My friend bought his 1st BTO 5rm flat $300k plus in 2006. Recent transaction 630k to 700k. He is trying his luck again to get a 2nd time BTO flat. His father (Msian - age 70) lost a lot of money in Msian stock. He commented that S'pore HDB is a best govt subsidise BTO HDB flat worth buying & to make money.My friend bought "govt" EC at 350psf in early 2000s. Recent transaction 700+psf. But don't ever buy 2nd private ppty if your job is not secured & you have to increase your debt which lead to precarious situation. A guy retrenched from Starhub (senior position). He got to sell away his 2nd private ppty to reduce debt.My (late 50s) sold Yishun 4 rm flat (80 yrs lease left - >$350k). Downgrade to 3 rm BTO flat (reset to lease 99) cost less than 280k. Some surplus money of go back to her CPF retirement fund. My relative (Single age 64). Downgrade from 3 rm flat (320k). Successfully got a new BTO 2 rm flat @55k After HDB grant (without grant 80k) . It is only 30 yrs lease. His Retirement needs is further strengthen.Medical cost inflation is getting higher and higher.=====================================Our Medishield premium to cover (compulsory) all S'porean & PR has been increasing by 100% to 200% since it implementation in 2015. It will continue to increase.You are likely to pay est $150k or more premium from age 1 to age 85 if you hv Basic Medishield + (optional) integrated plan (govt A class ).You are likely to pay est $250k or more premiun from age 1 to age 85 if you hv Basic Medishield + (optional) integrated plan (Private A class)But if you have just the Basic medishield life. It will be so much cheaper. But it does not cover all medical expenses + waiting time is so much longer. HEALTH IS ALWAYS NOT VALUE until Chronic disease comes. Pls ALWAYS keep a healthy life style. Exercise more, drink more, listen to meditation music more, be more forgiving to lead less stressful life etc etc.2018 - Medisave acct ceiling limit is $54,5002019 - Medisave acct ceiling limit is $57,200 (5% INCREASE)2020 - Medisave acct ceiling limit is $60K ??? To be advised by CPF board.SG society (or our govt) is the kind of society that does not let it's people rest especially those working people. U will Work & work till beyond age 65 if you dont plan your retirement early using CPF as a retirement tool. Go for your retirement need as No1 priority. Meet the full retirement sum 4-5% (now 176k) as early as possible . Then you can start to invest in bank shares (timing is important) or even buy 2nd ppty if you are very comfortable to service your 2nd ppty for very long term without any problems.U work 50-60 hrs a wk with stressful office politics & still struggling to provide a decent meal for family. In the meantime the high flyer banker just sit down behind a computer with a keyboard making millions of money in just minutes. This how the Richs get richer. The power of cheap money.This is not only wrong. This is maybe evil system created by the central bank who keep printing $$$. Now the US wants China to open up " wide " its financial sector so that they can implement this "evil banking system" into China. All of my China friend don't making $ in China stock mkt. The reason for losing is always "GREEDY".My last 9 yrs (since 2010) in buying bond has been doing reasonable well with leveraging (borrowing cost 1% to 1.6%). Now less leveraging due to higher borrowing cost (2.5% to 3.5%). My tgt to have $100k in my SON CPF SA b4 age 18.My wife CPF full retirement sum (176k) is already met

Default Re: Life is a struggle.You struggle ... again & again. And one day, you triumph

Prime minister - We have the RIGHT POLICIES in place. Take some from the Richs & help the poor.Already increased ABSD - To prevent speculation & also collect more tax (stamp fee) from the Richs & foreigner investors.TDSR - To prevent those marginal ppty investor (short term investors) wanting to increase the mortgage debt without knowing the risk that he may face job losses.Compulsory Medishield life (started in 2015) - Private A/B1 class subsidies the poor who opt for Govt b2/C ward.Compulsory Careshield will start in 2020 (from old Eldershield- optional which I opt out) - Start at age 30 instead of age 40.Water - 2nd phase of 30% of water price increase kick in on 1st July 2018.2nd phase of Right policies not yet in place===========================GST from 7% to 10% after 2025 ?Open Electricity market plan - can get 20% cheaper if chose them (electricity retailer) instead of PUB. Not sure how it will impact us in the future.CPF life payout eventually have to start at age 67 ( after 2025 ? 2030) ? as they lives longer. My neighbour old uncle age 100 this year. Grandma age 95. Still very healthy.More to come.