Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 things buyers wish they knew before buying a property

Default 4 things buyers wish they knew before buying a property

https://propertysoul.com/2016/07/26/4-things-buyers-wish-they-knew/

4 things buyers wish they knew before buying a property

July 26, 2016

The radio is playing Cher’s “If I Could Turn Back Time” when an email from a blog reader popped up on my screen,

“Property Soul You’ve Got Mail.”

It’s another message about a home buyer’s remorse.

Every week there are so many messages on disappointment and regret after buying properties. They all go like this:

“I wish I had … before I bought …”

“Why didn’t anyone tell me …”

“If only we knew …, we wouldn’t have …”

“We should have … but we had no idea …”

So many look-backs. So many regrets. What’s the use of crying over spilled milk?

The killing part is that these messages all end with an inevitable request for advice like “What do you think I should do now?”, or “Do you think I should … or … “.

How do I know? I am not you.

I have been advocating for prudent investment in private properties in my blog since 2010. I am doing my job as a nutritionist, not a surgeon. I take preventive measures, not remedial actions.

Why don’t buyers do some research on the market? Why can’t they check with the bank first before placing a deposit? Why do people let their impulse and greed take over?

If only they knew the 4 facts of property investment before taking the plunge, there would be less home buyer remorse, and I would have received far less regret purchase messages.

1. Showflat is for display. Bare unit is for your stay.

You said the showflat in the sales gallery was so nice. You couldn’t help but imagining yourself staying there too.

There is nothing wrong visiting new launch over the weekends. There is also nothing wrong dreaming about the high life staying in a posh condominium. But please wake up and get back to life after you step out of the showflat.

“The truth is like an alarm clock. You might not want to hear it … but it will wake you up from your dreams and bring you back to reality.”

– Anonymous
    Look beyond the bells and whistles. Things that are glamorous on show are often humble in reality.

After you collect the key to your bare unit, you suddenly realize that all the nice views and for display only ID designs at the showflat are all beautiful misunderstandings. The space constraint, developer defects, poor workmanship, etc. are the reality you have to deal with.

Like lovers when they first met, they show their best to impress. But after they sign on the dotted line, they begin to show their true colors with eyes wide open.

You get the picture?

2. Properties are not safe investment. Fixed deposits are.

You said you want to develop a habit of regular compulsive savings by putting your money into a property and paying the monthly mortgage.

All adults should have no problem training themselves to put aside money for a rainy day. If you lack that discipline, consider giving a considerable monthly allowance to your parents or better half.

Forget the BS saying that money left in saving accounts will be eroded by inflation. Stop saying how property prices have jumped multiple times in the last decades. Singapore has long passed the exponential growth stage evolving from an emerging to a developed country.

Do your maths: Property prices have fallen 9 percent since September 2013. Singapore inflation rate is 2.4 percent in 2013. After 2013, it is hovering around 1 percent. Which side of your money is eroding faster: your property investment or your bank savings?

Just take a look at the performance of currencies in our neighboring countries, who won’t wish that they are holding the strong Singapore dollar?

Remember property prices dropped 44.8 percent from its peak in 1995? Would you rather hold cash in a low interest rate environment or jump on the bandwagon to buy overpriced properties?

An article in the Edge Property pointed out that in the last quarter 1 in 3 sellers of high-end properties incurred losses, with the majority bought in 2007 and 2010. Average loss is $1 million for units purchased in 2007.

In the city fringe, 1 out of 8 resale deals are in the red. In the mass market, 9 percent of secondary market transactions is unprofitable. A majority of the units were purchased in 2011.

It sounds ironic but how many investors can survive a property downturn or a housing bubble burst with profits higher than interest earned by an average Joe from his fixed deposit?

3. Income and appreciation are not guaranteed. But fees and taxes are certain.

You said you joined the huge crowd of buyers because it was rare for retail units in centrally-located malls for sale.

You bought a unit at Alexandra Central, a 99-year hotel and retail development next to IKEA@Alexandra, during the launch on January 21, 2013. It was just after the government introduced the 7th round of cooling measures on January 11 when Additional Buyer Stamp Duties were raised to 7 percent across the board.

Didn’t you read the signs?

Even though asking prices were a whopping $4,300 to $7,000 psf, all except 2 of the 116 shop units were snapped up on the launch day. One upper floor unit below 200 sq ft even attracted 150 cheques from eager buyers.

How much rent can you fetch from a 200 to 400 sq ft shop in a 3-storey shopping mall? How many bowls of noodles do you need to sell in a day to cover the rent? Are you aware that the mall is not even accessible to any MRT station?

I went there for dinner last month on a weekday evening. A year after the mall was opened in 2015, far more than half of shops at Alexandra Central are still vacant. There are more shopkeepers than visitors. It is that kind of mall that, after you see how quiet the ground floor is, you don’t bother to go up the second and third floor.

Supposedly you bought a 400 sq ft shop at $1.8 million and pay a monthly loan of $3,200, if you are lucky to find a tenant to pay a rent of $3,200, your return is close to zero.

But wait, you haven’t taken into account the high monthly maintenance fee and property tax, on top of the stamp duties and legal fee you already paid.

In this market, it is also not easy to find a buyer to take over a vacant unit in a quiet mall. Above all, commercial properties are subjected to a 5 to 15 percent Seller Stamp Duty in 3 years.

Honestly I don’t think any buyer benefited except Chip Eng Seng Corporation. Because of their best-selling project Alexandra Central, the property developer’s quarterly net profit jumped $167.6 million, a 383.9 percent increase from the preceding year.

Think about generating income and capital appreciation from property investment? Think again.

In properties, nothing is certain except fees and taxes.

4. No Freehold is not a problem. No holding power is.

You said you pay more to buy a freehold property because the value of freehold properties can hold.

Have you over-estimated the investment value of freehold properties? Just because developers bought the freehold land at higher prices doesn’t mean that it is justified for you to pay a premium too.

Afterall, the property game is all about affordability and holding power. And did I not mention enough buying the right property at the right time at the right price?

Don’t complain that you can’t finance or refinance your properties because of the restrictive Total Debt Servicing Ratio. Before you place a deposit, read my 3-3-5 rule again please.

Both freehold and leasehold properties appreciate in value during good times. The reverse is also true.

Tenants rent a place for its location, quality and value. They don’t give a damn whether your property is freehold or leasehold.

No freehold tenure is not a problem. No tenant is.

How long can you continue paying mortgage, maintenance and taxes when you can’t find a tenant? If you have no holding power, you’ve got to cut loss at certain point of time and let it go.

Regardless whether your property is leasehold or freehold, it is not ‘free to hold’.

Don’t buy anything before you attend my Buying My First Private Property Workshop on July 31 or you’ll regret it (again?). Learn all the tips and traps of buying properties from presentations, exercises and group discussions. See you on Sunday!

Four things I wish I knew as a property buyer before 2008:

1. When the Govt would announce any new cooling measure.

2. When the Govt would relax any cooling measure (if they would ever).

3. All the property indices for all the types of properties for the next few years.

4. Where to get the buyers and sellers who will offer the best price (in my terms) when I am making my transactions.

But the most important info I wish to know is... what numbers are coming out for Toto tomorrow!
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

- when will the interest rate hike

- what is the highest % of interest rate will go

Lack of viable investment option,
    so property becomes a no brainer option

Quote Originally Posted by jeaprp View Post
    Lack of viable investment option,
    so property becomes a no brainer option
    A graduate friend of mine in his mid-forty and single wanted to buy an investment apartment in 2013. He considered himself well read and had attended most property investment seminars in town. His reasons for wanting to buy at the height of the property market were his age, loan tenure (buy now to enjoy longer loan tenure), low interest rate and for passive income. Due to the lack of investment option which for the average folk like him and the low interest rate, he firmly believed that buying a property was the right choice despite the high price than placing the money with the bank and earning peanut interest. He went ahead to place a deposit for an 99-LH BIC apartment in 2014 despite my advice not to. He forfeited his deposit when his elderly father came to know about it and advised him not to go ahead.

My experience with this friend tell me that when someone has already made up his mind to buy a property and having done all his sums and researches to support his decision, it is fruitless to advise him against. You may even lose a friend if you do not support his decision. Sadly, this was the case with my friend. I came to know through a mutual friend that he was relieved to lose his deposit but felt embarrassed to face me.

Looking back, I could empathize with this friend of mine. The information he gathers from property investment seminars, the lack of investment option and the hungry for yield are driving forces behind his decision to buy. I believe there are many more such investors like my friends. Then again, the market always has more of such people like my friends so that the more savvy investors and developers are more than happy to sell to them.

I believe investment is as much an art than hard science. One can do all the researches to support a buy decision. On the other hand, one can also do all the researches not to buy. The people who get it right often are people who know better the art (wisdom and experience) of investment.

Most ppl will get it right thru property investment historically

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Woods View Post
    A graduate friend of mine in his mid-forty and single wanted to buy an investment apartment in 2013. He considered himself well read and had attended most property investment seminars in town. His reasons for wanting to buy at the height of the property market were his age, loan tenure (buy now to enjoy longer loan tenure), low interest rate and for passive income. Due to the lack of investment option which for the average folk like him and the low interest rate, he firmly believed that buying a property was the right choice despite the high price than placing the money with the bank and earning peanut interest. He went ahead to place a deposit for an 99-LH BIC apartment in 2014 despite my advice not to. He forfeited his deposit when his elderly father came to know about it and advised him not to go ahead.

My experience with this friend tell me that when someone has already made up his mind to buy a property and having done all his sums and researches to support his decision, it is fruitless to advise him against. You may even lose a friend if you do not support his decision. Sadly, this was the case with my friend. I came to know through a mutual friend that he was relieved to lose his deposit but felt embarrassed to face me.

Looking back, I could empathize with this friend of mine. The information he gathers from property investment seminars, the lack of investment option and the hungry for yield are driving forces behind his decision to buy. I believe there are many more such investors like my friends. Then again, the market always has more of such people like my friends so that the more savvy investors and developers are more than happy to sell to them.

I believe investment is as much an art than hard science. One can do all the researches to support a buy decision. On the other hand, one can also do all the researches not to buy. The people who get it right often are people who know better the art (wisdom and experience) of investment.
    Exactly. 2013 I would advise the same myself, except for cases where the purpose is urgent housing. But if he examines the same specific property today, he would still find the situation not that much different (for new sales). And if he played his cards right, it can still be gains. And maybe he hated you because he missed the opportunity? Which project can share?

Quantum plays (low) from 2013 till today have been proven to work for the last 3 years despite the harshest market conditions.

So if that friend comes up for advice in 2016, what would your advice be?

And what about in 2019?

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

"Supposedly you bought a 400 sq ft shop at $1.8 million and pay a monthly loan of $3,200, if you are lucky to find a tenant to pay a rent of $3,200, your return is close to zero."

This statement is false. Your equity actually increase. 12x$3,200=$38,400 per annum or 7% return if you put 30% down payment.

The problem is why choose a commercial mid to high quantum unit to make one's point.

If I look at one of my properties' price movement, I should have invested invested in 3 of such properties if I had the chance to access 1.8mil then. The price gain is on average 3.5% over the last few years, not including the rental.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Quote Originally Posted by indomie View Post
    "Supposedly you bought a 400 sq ft shop at $1.8 million and pay a monthly loan of $3,200, if you are lucky to find a tenant to pay a rent of $3,200, your return is close to zero."

This statement is false. Your equity actually increase. 12x$3,200=$38,400 per annum or 7% return if you put 30% down payment.
    It is indeed close to zero. Need to less off the interest since you are calculating on leverage terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikeu View Post
    It is indeed close to zero. Need to less off the interest since you are calculating on leverage terms.
    To reconvert will be more accurate.

30% downpayment is 540K. A 2%, 30 year mortgage loan interest per month is $2000-2100.

So nett payment of mortgage is $1100 to $1200. Yearly crediting into mortgage is $13,800. Based on the downpayment made, the yield is just about 2.5%, before including taxes etc.

But still it's hard to conclude if this is a good choice because we are basing our conclusion on a harsh set of years for real estate from 2013-2016. Who knows what conditions will be like in 2019? When demand and growth picks up, this property might be amongst those that gain the most in price and rental yield.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    To reconvert will be more accurate.

30% downpayment is 540K. A 2%, 30 year mortgage loan interest per month is $2000-2100.

So nett payment of mortgage is $1100 to $1200. Yearly crediting into mortgage is $13,800. Based on the downpayment made, the yield is just about 2.5%, before including taxes etc.

But still it's hard to conclude if this is a good choice because we are basing our conclusion on a harsh set of years for real estate from 2013-2016. Who knows what conditions will be like in 2019? When demand and growth picks up, this property might be amongst those that gain the most in price and rental yield.
    Actually easier calculation is to look at the amount of debt owned to the bank.

No need to consider interest rate and loan tenure. Each year your debt decrease is your yield. All paid for by tenant.

If I paid 30% for 1 million property, my 700k loan actually decrease every year. If every year I pay 30k to the bank and the money comes from my tenant, next year my loan only 670k left.

In a rough calculation I make 30k out of my 300k initial investment annually.

I never look at property investment in really long term. 10 years is a long enough horizon. So I only consider short term cost of holding.

Actually easier calculation is to look at the amount of debt owned to the bank.

No need to consider interest rate and loan tenure. Each year your debt decrease is your yield. All paid for by tenant.

If I paid 30% for 1 million property, my 700k loan actually decrease every year. If every year I pay 30k to the bank and the money comes from my tenant, next year my loan only 670k left.

In a rough calculation I make 30k out of my 300k initial investment annually.
    Even if your tenant pay 30K to the bank in that year, your mortgage won't be drawn down by 30K. Maybe drawn down by 15 to 20K only.

The 10-15K difference is the interest paid to the bank. To be fair, really must include in computations.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Even if your tenant pay 30K to the bank in that year, your mortgage won't be drawn down by 30K. Maybe drawn down by 15 to 20K only.

The 10-15K difference is the interest paid to the bank. To be fair, really must include in computations.
    Yes..10-15K must include. But 15K out of 300K investment is still 5% yield. Its definitely not zero.

Yes..10-15K must include. But 15K out of 300K investment is still 5% yield. Its definitely not zero.
    Dun miss out in deducting interest again.... In your example of 15k/300k is indeed 5%.

But not in the example by vip for where say financing is assumed at 70% at 2.5% for 30 yrs tenor; and one month rental equivalent of expenses (agents commission, taxes etc), the yield is about 0.7%.

Dun miss out in deducting interest again.... In your example of 15k/300k is indeed 5%.

But not in the example by vip for where say financing is assumed at 70% at 2.5% for 30 yrs tenor; and one month rental equivalent of expenses (agents commission, taxes etc), the yield is about 0.7%.

Your calculations also kelong leh...

1.8% of 540K is 9720. How can one month rental and commissions be so high???

Even if minus off one month of $3200 fees, the adjusted crediting into mortgage stands at $10,200. The yield is still 1.9 to 2%. Pathetic I agree, but still may I remind this scenario is a stress test and temporary, and only relevant to this type of property at this location, even if VIP's caveats are real to begin with.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Actually each month that you pay down the principle, the yield actually increases. I miss the interest rate part because for some people who keep offset account, the interest rate can become zero if u have the cash equal to amount owed.

Your calculations also kelong leh...

1.8% of 540K is 9720. How can one month rental and commissions be so high???

Even if minus off one month of $3200 fees, the adjusted crediting into mortgage stands at $10,200. The yield is still 1.9 to 2%. Pathetic I agree, but still may I remind this scenario is a stress test and temporary, and only relevant to this type of property at this location, even if VIP's caveats are real to begin with.
    i stated my financing assumption at 70% loan at 2.5% for 30 years. Yours was 2%.
    If you use my assumption, you will get about 0.7%

Actually each month that you pay down the principle, the yield actually increases. I miss the interest rate part because for some people who keep offset account, the interest rate can become zero if u have the cash equal to amount owed.
    It depends. One quick check is if the interest rate is higher than the unleveraged yield, then the longer (you take to pay down) or higher loan amount, the worse is the leveraged yield.

I see. Then better use 4.5% as this is the highest it has reached in modern times. For sure can get negative yield.

i stated my financing assumption at 70% loan at 2.5% for 30 years. Yours was 2%.
    If you use my assumption, you will get about 0.7%

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

I see. Then better use 4.5% as this is the highest it has reached in modern times. For sure can get negative yield.
    You think 2.5% not realistic? Please bro, I dun troll here to purposedly use some interest rate to get zero or negative yield.
    This is commercial property loan, not residential loan.
    For commercial property, current fixed is about 2.5% (year 1 and 2) and thereafter years is in region of 3M Sibor + 2.88%

The property referred to was sold a few years ago. If I am not mistaken, there are many alternative financing schemes for such properties as well. Not restricted by most CMs. But thanks for sharing, and apologies for my comments.

You think 2.5% not realistic? Please bro, I dun troll here to purposedly use some interest rate to get zero or negative yield.
    This is commercial property loan, not residential loan.
    For commercial property, current fixed is about 2.5% (year 1 and 2) and thereafter years is in region of 3M Sibor + 2.88%

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

What is yield?
    Net Rental yield = (Net rental income / capital investment)

So as you pay down the principle, your capital investment amount actually increases, so yes, your net rental yield will drop, not increase.................

And Net Rental Income = Gross Rental Income - All Expenses (i.e. Interests + maintenance funds + taxes + agent fees + maintenance and repairs needed etc)

So in the scenario you all are talking about, net rental yield is much lower than you touted.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    What is yield?
    Net Rental yield = (Net rental income / capital investment)

So as you pay down the principle, your capital investment amount actually increases, so yes, your net rental yield will drop, not increase.................

And Net Rental Income = Gross Rental Income - All Expenses (i.e. Interests + maintenance funds + taxes + agent fees + maintenance and repairs needed etc)

So in the scenario you all are talking about, net rental yield is much lower than you touted.
    If interest rate remain constant, after 10 years of paying off morgages actually you are paying less interest rate than at the early years because the principal mortgage amount has been reduced.

I consider this as increase yield over "original" loan amount. As we get older the cheaper we need to pay the mortgage.

If someone can tell you when to buy property, he is delusional. You need to do the heavy lifting when you are young, so you don't have to when older.

Time is on your side with property. Your mortgage will get lower, equity will get higher, capital gain get higher, cash flow will get better with higher rent.

If you can maintain tenants to service your monthly repayment. In my opinion, you have nothing to worry.

Glad for the CMs for residential properties to keep yields at least at a decent level. Keep it there!

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

If like that also can be happy, the REITs etc commercial property owners must have been the happiest lot, with OCR regional malls prime retail space hitting almost as high as OCR Orchard malls and hei, they have NO COOLING MEASURES!

Glad for the CMs for residential properties to keep yields at least at a decent level. Keep it there!

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    If like that also can be happy, the REITs etc commercial property owners must have been the happiest lot, with OCR regional malls prime retail space hitting almost as high as OCR Orchard malls and hei, they have NO COOLING MEASURES!
    Yah, what's worse is they are creating a new CBD and moving the mass over to OCR mega malls.

What is OCR Orchard mall? Orchard becomes OCR now in your enlightened views?

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Singapore is so...... small.

The whole of London is also quite small, but Zone 1 property price 10x that of Zone 4.......... What say you???

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    Singapore is so...... small.