Thread: Good things come small

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Good things come small

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...78663,00.html?

Published May 10, 2008

Good things come small

The 125i Coupe is an entry model with all the classic BMW qualities, reports SAMUEL EE

GOOD things come in small packages. Great things, it seems, can come in a compact little shape like the BMW 125i Coupe.

Hey, good looking: The BMW 125i Coupe has remarkable proportions, being wide, short and curvaceous from almost every angle

The German luxury carmaker introduced its diminutive 1 Series as a five-door hatchback in 2004. Even as an entry-level model, it subscribed to all the traditional BMW qualities like the classic front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout and excellent handling. The five-door was followed by a sportier-looking three-door hatch a couple of years later. But it has taken nothing less than a coupe and a cabriolet to make the 1 Series tempting enough for anyone to really consider buying one.

These two booted variants are seminal in another way. After they were unveiled last year, the decision to offer the 1 Series here was taken.

For BMW enthusiasts who have witnessed the ever-expanding footprint of the 3 Series, the 125i Coupe is a return to the good old days when an entry-level model was small with superb shockability.

Remarkable proportions

The car has remarkable proportions. It is wide, short and curvaceous from almost every angle. BMW is keen to associate the 1 Series Coupe as the spiritual successor of the 2002 from the 1970s, but the 125i is a little too stubby and chubby to be compared with that elegant classic. The 125i also has that same hefty feel of current-generation Beemers, with their heavy steering and equally weighty throttle response.

But like most BMWs, it is no less fun to drive. Its perfect weight distribution and short wheelbase - much shorter than even the previous 3 Series - make it supremely nimble. It's like driving in a video game, German style of course. It feels agile and has just the right combination of grip and body roll to make charging hard into a sweeping corner feel thoroughly entertaining.

There are two petrol engines but only one has been brought in for Singapore - a three-litre, in-line six-cylinder unit churning out 218 horses. This is a detuned version of the 3.0 straight six with 265 hp normally seen in the 5 Series and X5, but its good low-end torque gets the almost 1.5 tonne coupe moving along very well. Its smaller 'lungs' do mean, however, that progress above 150 kmh is less rapid.

Choppy ride

A six-speed automatic gearbox with steering wheel-mounted paddle shifts adds to driving enjoyment, as does the M Sports suspension that is standard on the cars here. The stiffer springs come at a cost though. Ride quality at any speed is choppy unless the road surface is mirror smooth. The relatively short wheelbase, of course, contributes to the lower level of ride comfort too, especially for the two occupants in the back seat, who will feel the bumps on the road more acutely.

Surprisingly though, rear leg-room is adequate, even for those six feet tall. But rear head-room is compromised because of the coupe's arcing roof-line.

Another issue is the bare-looking centre console. This is because the 125i only comes with a basic air-con - that is, no dual-zone climate control. But with all the fun you'll be having driving it, you might not even notice.

BMW 125i Coupe

Engine: 2,996 cc in-line-6
    Gearbox: Six-speed automatic transmission
    Max power: 218 hp @ 6,100 rpm
    Max torque: 270 Nm @ 2,500-4,250 rpm
    0-100 kmh: 7.0 secs
    Top speed: 243 kmh
    Price: $151,800 (with COE)
    Distributor: Performance Motors. Tel: 6319-0100

Default Re: Good things come small

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...78664,00.html?

Published May 10, 2008

BMW 1 Series: Spoilt for choice

By SAMUEL EE

THE arrival of the BMW 1 Series in Singapore brings with it four variants and some rather confusing numbers. The entry-level version is a five-door hatchback called the 118i at $116,800, followed by a three-door hatch - the 130i at $149,800. Then there are the 125i Coupe ($151,800) and the 120i Cabriolet ($158,800).

Robust: The 130i has an engine size that is accurately reflected in its model designation. It shares the same power plant found in models such as the 530i and X5 3.0

But despite four distinct sets of numbers, there are only two basic engines - a 2.0 and a 3.0. The 118i has a two-litre, four-cylinder engine with 136 hp. This is a detuned version of the 2.0 engine found in the 320i, which has 156 hp and which also happens to be the same unit found in the 120i Cabriolet.

The 130i three-door hatch has an engine size that is accurately reflected in its model designation. Its three-litre inline six-cylinder unit is the same superb magnesium/aluminium power plant found in models such as the 530i and X5 3.0. Its output is 265 hp with 315 Newton-metres of torque, thanks to Valvetronic, which varies valve timing, and double-Vanos, or double variable camshaft control of valve lift.

The 125i Coupe also has a 3.0 straight-six but this has been detuned to just 218 hp and 270 Nm.

You could say it's just a numbers game.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Life%252...ry_235694.html

May 10, 2008

Go, baby, go

The BMW 125i Coupe is cute to look at and a sheer pleasure to drive

By Pradeep Paul

IT TOOK till the third traffic light for the penny to drop.

Those pretty young things in the cars alongside were not looking at me. They were checking out the BMW 125i Coupe.

And why not? The latest baby Beemer to hit Singapore roads is 'cute' - verdict of a cute 15-year-old - and drives like a, well, BMW.

That means it enjoys the perfect 50:50 weight distribution the German brand is known for, and comes loaded with all the electronic aids such as Dynamic Stability Control, Cornering Brake Control and Dynamic Traction Control.

While the M Aerodynamics Kit-enhanced looks have evoked mixed reactions - some like the coupe's profile while others swear the hatchback version looks better - the interior is impeccable.

The plastics ace the knuckle-rap test, the doors shut with a reassuring thunk and the steering wheel has a nice chunky feel.

If you have had enough of the chatter on radio and think CDs are a thing of the past, the car also offers a USB iPod interface.

This shows that BMW, which offers this feature only on its 1-series range, has anticipated the tastes and habits of its target audience.

BMW has also been honest about the rear accommodation. There is space for just two adults, as signalled by the number of head supports in the back and the plastic tray separating the seats.

However, those two adults will sit in comfort with sufficient leg room provided by the scalloped backs of the front seats. Head room is ample too, unless you play in the NBA.

The boot is a little smaller than that of a 3-series, but good enough to keep golfers and grocery shoppers happy.

The true magic of this car shines through once you slot in the key - no metal protrusion, just a plastic fob you slot into the dash - and jab the Start/Stop button.

The burble that emanates from the twin pipes is enough to put a smile on any petrolhead's face.

Slot the gear lever into D and the burble changes into a guttural growl as the car responds with alacrity to any challenge.

Feeling like a lazy Sunday cruise? No problem. The 125i will putter along complacently. But the moment you decide to up the ante, it rolls up its elegant sleeves and works up a sweat.

A few taps of either thumb on the steering-mounted paddles and the six-speed Steptronic transmission kicks down a few notches, the revs climb accordingly and traffic falls behind magically.

The runflat tyres on 17-inch rims, long associated with a stiffer ride, don't rob the car of its composure much.

Chuck it into a fast corner, and the 125i hugs the line with unerring accuracy, refusing to be unsettled by any tarmac imperfections.

What is a nice touch is the Tyre Defect Indicator, which monitors the air pressure in all wheels and warns the driver if the pressure drops by more than 30 per cent.

There is one little problem though. The 125i is loaded with the same 3-litre engine - well, 2,996cc to be precise - that sits in the rangetopping 130i three-door hatch.

It has been de-tuned to produce less power (218bhp to the 130's 265bhp) and less torque (270Nm to 315Nm).

BMW says this is not new, pointing to the 5-series range where the 523 uses a de-tuned version of the 525's engine.

It justifies this decision by quoting product differentiation and even points to the better fuel consumption figures - the 125i uses 12.5 litres per 100km in city driving while the 130i burns 13.6 - but that is not going to sway Singapore's taxman.

If that doesn't bother you, head on down to the Reflections at Keppel Bay for a test-drive today and tomorrow, from 1pm onwards.

[email protected]

UnregĄstered Guest

Crazy!
    Why sell a subcompact car here with only the bigger engine models?

125i, 130i and 135i are fine.
    But where are the 116i, 118i and 120i?

Luckily, these are available from the parallel importers.

Now that they are selling the 520i.
    Will they also sell the 318i?

In fact, their entry models should be:
    116i, 118i, 520i and 730i.