Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanjong Rhu Road Condo

Default Circle Line

Stages 1 & 2 of Circle Line to open in first half of 2010
    By Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 30 August 2009 2018 hrs

SINGAPORE: The next phase of the Circle Line – Stages 1 and 2 – will start operations in the first half of 2010. Transport Minister Raymond Lim revealed this at a dialogue session in Bukit Panjang on Sunday.

Its exact opening date, however, will only be finalised after engineers complete the necessary tests.

The first five stations on the Circle Line opened for service on May 28. Even though ridership has not been as high as initially projected on the 5.7-kilometre stretch, this could change with the opening of 11 new stations next year.

Stage 1 of the Circle Line starts from Dhoby Ghaut, through MRT stations like Esplanade and Nicoll Highway, and ends at Stadium, while Stage 2 starts from Mountbatten, through interchange station Paya Lebar, and ends at Tai Seng.

The other 13 stations from Marymount to Harbourfront will be ready by 2011. Daily ridership of this 33.3-kilometre line is estimated to be close to half a million when it is fully operational.

Quote Originally Posted by Chan F M
    Thanks for this.

It shows that the footbridge from Costa Rhu to the Flyer is next to Sheares Flyover.

That is not a bad spot for a footbridge as people can use that footbridge to walk to Marina Bay Sands (via the spiral bridge).
    Ehh... not sure leh. Most of the maps of the Gardens by the Bay and gfoo map seems to indicate the bridge is at the upper left corner of Costa Rhu condo, which is different from the URA Masterplan 08...

Hmmm.. I think apart from Marina Barrage there could be 2 other pedestrian bridges..

http://www.gustafson-porter.com/projects/sgb/sgb_01.htm

"Marina East is most accessible to pedestrians. Visitors will also arrive by passing over the Barrier causeway to the east and two pedestrian bridges. One that is required to pass over the entrance to Kallang Basin to the west and a second slung across the structure of the East Coast Parkway linking the Garden directly to Promenade MRT Station."

Quote Originally Posted by gwlip
    Hmmm.. I think apart from Marina Barrage there could be 2 other pedestrian bridges..

http://www.gustafson-porter.com/projects/sgb/sgb_01.htm

"Marina East is most accessible to pedestrians. Visitors will also arrive by passing over the Barrier causeway to the east and two pedestrian bridges. One that is required to pass over the entrance to Kallang Basin to the west and a second slung across the structure of the East Coast Parkway linking the Garden directly to Promenade MRT Station."

Well, two footbridges are better than one. It is a good thing that the footbridges are marked on their plan; I would not have guessed where it was from their description.

I suppose the Gardens at Marina East should be completed by 2011? Hopefully, there will also be an announcement soon as to when the Sportshub work will commence.

Well, two footbridges are better than one. It is a good thing that the footbridges are marked on their plan; I would not have guessed where it was from their description.

I suppose the Gardens at Marina East should be completed by 2011? Hopefully, there will also be an announcement soon as to when the Sportshub work will commence.
    Here's a reply I got from Nparks
    (note: phase 1 is expected to complete end 2010-2011):
    Thank you for your interest in the Gardens by the Bay Development.
    Phase 1 of the Gardens development will comprise most of the Gardens at Marina South, including key features such as the Cooled Conservatory Complex, Supertrees, and the various themed gardens. It will also include interim development of parts of the Gardens at Marina East. The full implementation of the Marina East Gardens' masterplan will take place at a later stage.

Meanwhile, here's a link worth checking out
    http://www.squintopera.com/#/projects/?id=26
    Watch Movie 1 in particular

As for the Sports Hub... at least SSC is RECENTLY hiring for it
    http://sg.jobstreet.com/jobs/2009/8/...26863.htm?fr=J
    Last edited by gwlip; 04-09-09 at 00:37.

Many thanks for the links to the video.

Marina South gardens look awesome. The video in relation to Marina East and Centre is not quite relevant as Grant Associates' designs are not being adopted for that.

From NParks reply, it does look as if Marina East Gardens will only be completed in 2012 or 2013. I suppose Sportshub will be completed in 2013.

It should all look pretty spectacular then.

Yes I am hoping 2012 or 2013 as well for the East Gardens.
    The good thing is that they are not just leaving till after completion of South Gardens to start working on the East Gardens + they have also awarded the design to Gustafson Porter (unlike the Centre Gardens with no award of design yet).. so I do not expect it to be dragged on for too long.

For the Sports Hub.. its a little bit more complicated as its a private+government project... and the private consortium could not raise money during the financial crisis to start work. Its not clear if they have sorted this out yet even with the recent news... nothing seems to be committed

Thumbs up Just got a call from URA...

I just got a call from URA regarding my enquiry on the pedestrian bridge from Tanjong Rhu. Apparently the current plan is only 1 bridge slightly south of the Benjamin Sheares Bridge (as portrayed correctly by the URA 2008 Masterplan). This will not be done till after YOG as the bridge will block the water games there.

Here's another interesting news though:
    Gardens of the Bay - East Gardens.. will be a proper full garden by YOG in support of the games . It is just that some of the embellishments etc may not be ready in place yet. I think really making use of YOG to showcase Singapore!

Default Marina East Gardens

Hi Gwlip,

That is good news.

Is the YOG in mid 2010? I didn't expect the East Marina Gardens to be so soon.

Hi Gwlip,

That is good news.

Is the YOG in mid 2010? I didn't expect the East Marina Gardens to be so soon.
    Yes it is in August 2010. Me neither.
    According to the person I spoke with (and he seemed very knowledgeable), the park would be ready for visitors etc but not "full blown" ready. I asked what he meant by that (if maybe the Gustafson Porter's design elements will be put in later).. he replied we will probably be able to see Gustafson Porter's designs and concepts in place just that certain things/ elements of the park may not be ready (he didn't elaborate much here)

According to the person I spoke with (and he seemed very knowledgeable), the park would be ready for visitors etc but not "full blown" ready. I asked what he meant by that (if maybe the Gustafson Porter's design elements will be put in later).. he replied we will probably be able to see Gustafson Porter's designs and concepts in place just that certain things/ elements of the park may not be ready (he didn't elaborate much here)

Tanjong Rhu will be a great place to live....

Nearest MRT from Tanjong Rhu Gardens area will be the Promenade MRT across the pedestrian bridge.
    Here's a map showing the future Downtown line - nice to see Promenade MRT being well connected via the Circle Line and Downtown Line

Hmm.....I wonder whether it would be nearer to walk to Stadium MRT station instead.

Really depends on which condo you are at in Tanjong Rhu I guess.. if at Costa Rhu, Promenade is nearer. If at Pebble Bay or others I guess the Stadium MRT should be nearer.

Preparations for inaugural YOG on track, says MCYS
    By Gladys Ow, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 15 September 2009 2328 hrs
    Photos 1 of 1 ">

SINGAPORE: Preparations for Singapore's Youth Olympic Games next year are on track.

Community Development, Youth and Sports Minister Dr Vivian Balakrishnan said competition venues, the Youth Olympic Village, the Culture and Education programme, as well as transport and logistic arrangements have all been approved by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

Upgrading of venues and procurement of equipment are also on schedule.

The IOC has commended the Singapore Youth Olympic Games Organising Committee (SYOGOC) for making good progress despite the very hectic timeline.

Dr Balakrishnan said the SYOGOC is working with the National Sports Associations and other partners to provide opportunities for the public to be part of the Games.

There are plans to bring the official opening ceremony to the masses through community celebrations at various districts. Organisers are also seeking the involvement of the elderly and youths with special needs.

To date, about 15,000 people have signed up as volunteers and will begin their training this month.

On the corporate front, three local companies have signed up as sponsors.

Changi Exhibition Centre will provide a logistic hub during the Games, KhattarWong will provide legal services, while Crocodile International will be the Official Apparel Sponsor.

The Youth Olympic Games is expected to provide significant business opportunities for local Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) to promote their products on a global platform.

And the SYOGOC hopes more companies will come onboard as sponsors. - CNA/vm

Thumbs down Response from SSC on Sports Hub status...

I refer to your feedback dated 15 Sep 2009.

The Singapore Sports Council (SSC) is in contact with the Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC) with regard to the hosting of SEA Games 2013. Details are currently being finalised and updates would be provided at a later date.

With regards to the Sports Hub project, the negotiations with the preferred bidder, Singapore Sports Hub Consortium, are still ongoing. We do not want to make any public announcements on deadlines at this point in time as it would compromise our negotiating positions. The government is committed to the Sports Hub project and we will provide an update as soon as we have concluded our negotiations.

Thank you for your interest in Singapore Sports.

- Honestly I wasn't expecting much but it seriously sucks that they are STILL in negotiations with the bidder after so long.

Quite unbelievable. After all this time, they are still.........

Hi gwlip,

Really appreciate your updates.

Indeed Tg Rhu is slowly getting better and better.

Curious once the East Garden is ready by YOG, will there be proper path for a nice stroll along the marina channel to the Barrage? Any info on this? Thanks

Hmm.....I wonder whether it would be nearer to walk to Stadium MRT station instead.
    Had tried from the rest of the condo to Stadium station is ~10-15min walk, but is a nice walk along the kallang basin area.

The only problem is when it rains.... but one cannot have the best of everything rite

Quote Originally Posted by flxcat
    Had tried from the rest of the condo to Stadium station is ~10-15min walk, but is a nice walk along the kallang basin area.

The only problem is when it rains.... but one cannot have the best of everything rite
    Yeah - but walks are nice as its by the water and there is always a cool breeze. When the pedestrian bridge is up, can basically walk from East Gardens to Promenade MRT/ Suntec City in 10-15 mins also

Quote Originally Posted by flxcat
    Hi gwlip,

Really appreciate your updates.

Indeed Tg Rhu is slowly getting better and better.

Curious once the East Garden is ready by YOG, will there be proper path for a nice stroll along the marina channel to the Barrage? Any info on this? Thanks
    Dunno ... I only spoke to the URA representative over the phone and didn't have time to do a complete Q&A
    Try writing in and asking some questions - they will call you back
    http://www.ura.gov.sg/contactus/contactus_feedback.jsp
    Do share the answers you get here

I read sometime ago that you should be able to walk/jog/cycle to the Barrage from Costa Rhu.

I read sometime ago that you should be able to walk/jog/cycle to the Barrage from Costa Rhu.
    Yes I think so. But I believe the question was if it would be ready by the YOG. I know the East Gardens would be a fully accessible gardens by then but I don't know whether it will be properly connected to the barrage or what features would be available at that time

I would be happy if the East Gardens open by August next year. That qould be quite awesome.

I would be happy if the East Gardens open by August next year. That qould be quite awesome.
    I take it you are vested there already ...?

Have nervously vested in Pebble Bay....

Red face Trying unsuccessfully again to get more info. on the East Gardens..

My question:
    "There has been a lot of press (in the news, videos etc) on what to
    expect for the Gardens at Marina South.
    However, there has been little much mentioned or highlighted on the
    Gardens at Marina EAST apart from your website
    http://www.gardensbythebay.org.sg/in...&articlepk=100

Is there somewhere I can read up more on the details, pictures and
    layout of the East Gardens design by Gustafson Porter?"

Answer:
    "Interim development of the Marina East Gardens is currently in progress to support the Youth Olympic Games. The full implementation of the Gardens will take place at a later stage. Details such as pictures and layout of the Marina East Gardens will be made available to the public when ready. "

Well at least we got confirmation some amount of East Gardens will be ready by YOG

Default Sportshub

From CNA website :

S'pore may not host 2013 SEA Games as building of Sports Hub may be delayed

By Tan Yo-Hinn, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 30 September 2009 1605 hrs
    Photos 1 of 1 ">
    Artist impression of Singapore Sports Hub Group's dome-shaped stadium

SINGAPORE : Singapore's hosting of the 2013 Southeast Asia (SEA) Games may be in doubt after the Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports, Vivian Balakrishnan revealed that the completion of the Sports Hub may be delayed further.

The S$1.87-billion Sports Hub, which is slated to be the main venue for the biennial games, has suffered repeated delays due to the global economic downturn.

While progress has been made to kick-start the project, it may not be completed in time for the 2013 SEA Games.

Dr Balakrishnan said a decision will be made soon on whether to continue with hosting the 2013 SEA Games, or to pass it up and host it in the future, the earliest of which is the 2015 SEA Games.

The Sports Hub, a public-private partnership project, was awarded to the Singapore Sports Hub Consortium last January and is to be built on a 35-hectare site in Kallang, featuring world class facilities, including a 55,000 National Stadium with a retractable roof. - CNA /ls

Wa lau liddat will be delayed forever man..
    SSC really doing a horrible job here

good leh, like this residents there will be spared all the construction hassle and dust..