Thread: Kids vs furkids

Default Kids vs furkids

Seems like it is a new trend … more singaporeans are (or prefer) to raise pets than children. I always hear ppl complain that raising kids is very expensive so they do not want kids or stop at 1 but I see ppl r very willing to spend on pets.

Just excuse to hid the truth for not having kids. Normal.

Some of these people I meet, I feel happy for the kids because these people don't deserve to have kids and feel sad for the pets.

Quote Originally Posted by 玉格格 View Post
    Seems like it is a new trend … more singaporeans are (or prefer) to raise pets than children. I always hear ppl complain that raising kids is very expensive so they do not want kids or stop at 1 but I see ppl r very willing to spend on pets.
    Ya, why ha? I know of someone, his dog twisted its back, he spent about $4,000 to treat his dog. Not cheap leh. They are not rich, husband is a chauffeur and wife is a part time office cleaner, need to clean about 5 different offices before she could earn about $2k per month. They have 2 adult sons, both working but salary average also.
    Last edited by irisng; 30-09-15 at 20:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    Just excuse to hid the truth for not having kids. Normal.

Some of these people I meet, I feel happy for the kids because these people don't deserve to have kids and feel sad for the pets.
    Be it an excuse or not, surely there will be reasons for them to favour raising pets to kids.
    I dun understand y irresponsible ppl wanna give birth or keep pets in the 1st place. It is not as if they r being compelled to do so. Some adults hv children but do not hv time/do not wan to discipline/monitor their kids schoolwork. Some ppl keep pets but tie it outside the hse all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng View Post
    Ya, why ha? I know of someone, his dog twisted its back, he spent about $4,000 to treat his dog. Not cheap leh. They are not rich, husband is a chauffeur and wife is a part time office cleaner, need to clean about 5 different offices before she could earn about $2k per month. They have 2 adult sons, both working but salary average also.
    Willing to spend on medical bills for pets – tis I can understand cos they treat the pets as family members. If yr kids nid an operation which cost 4k u will still spend rite?

I do noe ppl who r not rich n avg earners oni, but they r willing to rent commercial kennels to keep strays so that the animals will be safe fm culling. Mind u, paying for their daily food is aldy not cheap, let alone boarding. A typical kennel cost abt $600 per mth n can oni hse around 2-3 dogs nia. Honestly, not every one can do tat.

raise a kid u cant cheong anymore, but raise a pet u still can cheong anytime.. want to go holiday can send pet to pet hotel.

nowadays, pple want to enjoy life, dont want to slog like our father's generation anymore...
    Ong lai ah!

I muz admit I am someone who like kids a lot. But liking n raising is 2 separate matter.

Raising kids is an expensive n stressful job.
    children education is a challenging task. Graduate parents cant handle primary school kids problem. Kids’ exams ended up as parents’ exam.
    Kids often take parents for granted, will argue and make parents angry.

Keeping pets is destress on the contrary. U juz nid to be responsible n be willing to provide n take care of them.

When u r still not back home late in the night, yr pet will be waiting for u at the door. But yr kids will most likely had fallen asleep.
    More often than not, human beings r more ingrate than animals, I would say. Hard truth

I muz admit I am someone who like kids a lot. But liking n raising is 2 separate matter.

children education is a challenging task. Graduate parents cant handle primary school kids problem. Kids’ exams ended up as parents’ exam.

Keeping pets is destress on the contrary. U juz nid to be responsible n be willing to provide n take care of them.

When u r still not back home late in the night, yr pet will be waiting for u at the door. But yr kids will most likely had fallen asleep.
    More often than not, human beings r more ingrate than animals, I would say. Hard truth
    aiyo.. why think like dat, u sometimes oso argue with ur parents until they give up right? if ur parents tink like u hor... u willl probably be inside a used balloon today....
    Ong lai ah!

"Ingrate" may be too harsh too extreme a word to use lah. Last time parents have kids so that kids will support parents when the former grow up and the latter grow old. 养儿防老. Now parents have kids and when the former grow old and the latter grow up, the parents still have to support the kids in buying the house and the car. 老来自保. Hence people now dun see the need to have kids. This is truly the modern parent generation sandwich class.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTan View Post
    "Ingrate" may be too harsh too extreme a word to use lah. Last time parents have kids so that kids will support parents when the former grow up and the latter grow old. 养儿防老. Now parents have kids and when the former grow old and the latter grow up, the parents still have to support the kids in buying the house and the car. 老来自保. Hence people now dun see the need to have kids. This is truly the modern parent generation sandwich class.
    Last time is "养儿防老", now is "养儿烦恼"。

Last time is "养儿防老", now is "养儿烦恼"。
    LOL!!! So "养女最好"?

Actually, it all depends on how the parents take it. I have a friend, her son is having PSLE now, I told her nowadays kids' education is like parents' education but she told me, she is not worried for her son PSLE at all. Her words is it will let you think that her son must be smart but actually not, his son passing is about borderline during his school exam. One the other hand, my neighbour, her daughter is smart, in a good school, also having PSLE now and she is worried for her daughter PSLE. Another of my friend, he said upbringing a children is easy, just give them eat, a place to sleep, that is enough, don't need to guide them one.

LOL!!! So "养女最好"?
    Don't get offended, this is only a general phrase. 养儿, 养女 都一样。Of course, there are also filial children who know how to take care of their parents lah. I saw someone posted on the facebook, trying to retrieve and share here but couldn't find it. Is something like that, parents pump and pump money on their son to become 有用之人, when he grows up, he becomes somebody's husband. Parents pump and pump money on their daughter to become 有用之人, when she grows up, she changes her surname and becomes somebody's wife.

Willing to spend on medical bills for pets – tis I can understand cos they treat the pets as family members. If yr kids nid an operation which cost 4k u will still spend rite?

I do noe ppl who r not rich n avg earners oni, but they r willing to rent commercial kennels to keep strays so that the animals will be safe fm culling. Mind u, paying for their daily food is aldy not cheap, let alone boarding. A typical kennel cost abt $600 per mth n can oni hse around 2-3 dogs nia. Honestly, not every one can do tat.
    The problem is when his son was young, he was not willing to spend money on his son tuition, he said have tuition, no tuition also same result, so why waste money?

Don't get offended, this is only a general phrase. 养儿, 养女 都一样。Of course, there are also filial children who know how to take care of their parents lah. I saw someone posted on the facebook, trying to retrieve and share here but couldn't find it. Is something like that, parents pump and pump money on their son to become 有用之人, when he grows up, he becomes somebody's husband. Parents pump and pump money on their daughter to become 有用之人, when she grows up, she changes her surname and becomes somebody's wife.
    Lol. No offense taken lah. Jus playing around with Chinese words and how the last character rhymes. On a side note, imho, the notion of 重男轻女 seems to be a double edged sword in modern context now. Last time have children better be a boy so grow up can be the man of the house and take care of whole family including elderly parents, and if girl, will eventually be married away to be someone else family household one. But now, if boy, must make sure he can grow up to be the man of the house and support him so that he can support his immediate family, not including the elderly parents, and if girl, as usual, will eventually be married away to be someone else family household one. My humble opinion only hor. Dun flame me hor.

Lol. No offense taken lah. Jus playing around with Chinese words and how the last character rhymes. On a side note, imho, the notion of 重男轻女 seems to be a double edged sword in modern context now. Last time have children better be a boy so grow up can be the man of the house and take care of whole family including elderly parents, and if girl, will eventually be married away to be someone else family household one. But now, if boy, must make sure he can grow up to be the man of the house and support him so that he can support his immediate family, not including the elderly parents, and if girl, as usual, will eventually be married away to be someone else family household one. My humble opinion only hor. Dun flame me hor.
    Yesterday was talking to my friend's mother. Last time, daughter-in-law had to serve the mother-in-law but now mother-in-law has to serve the daughter-in-law. Last time, daugher-in-law had to wait for mother-in-law to eat first, now mother-in-law has to call daughter-in-law to eat first. Last time daughter-in-law had to wake up early to go marketing and do the housework, now mother-in-law has to wake up early to do the marketing while daughter-in-law still sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by onglai View Post
    aiyo.. why think like dat, u sometimes oso argue with ur parents until they give up right? if ur parents tink like u hor... u willl probably be inside a used balloon today....
    After u r married, do u value yr parents equally as important as yr wifey n children?

Taking gd care of parents seems more like an obligation n duty rather than they matters a lot to us?

The problem is when his son was young, he was not willing to spend money on his son tuition, he said have tuition, no tuition also same result, so why waste money?
    Mayb to yr friend, he is not someone who matters education so much, can pass can alrdy tat type. But when the dog is sick/accident, it can be life threatening n he did not wan to take chance?

last time got a coll told me when her dog died she was so sad n cried. Den she said when her dad died she oso nvr cry until so sad.

Or mayb, yr friend dog is more “filial” than his children? Tell u something, I tink my family dog is more filial to my dad as compare to his children. She is very “gor tar” type so if u try to snatch/take away the bone fm her, she will try to snap (wun bleed tat type) or snatch it back. So u can see, sharing is not in her dictionary.
    But once my dad was sleeping n she was licking the bone besides him. Den suddenly she put the bone into my dad’s mouth which woke him up. It may sounds very disgusting but we were v surprised n impressed by her behaviour.

Mayb to yr friend, he is not someone who matters education so much, can pass can alrdy tat type. But when the dog is sick/accident, it can be life threatening n he did not wan to take chance?

last time got a coll told me when her dog died she was so sad n cried. Den she said when her dad died she oso nvr cry until so sad.

Or mayb, yr friend dog is more “filial” than his children? Tell u something, I tink my family dog is more filial to my dad as compare to his children. She is very “gor tar” type so if u try to snatch/take away the bone fm her, she will try to snap (wun bleed tat type) or snatch it back. So u can see, sharing is not in her dictionary.
    But once my dad was sleeping n she was licking the bone besides him. Den suddenly she put the bone into my dad’s mouth which woke him up. It may sounds very disgusting but we were v surprised n impressed by her behaviour.
    it's dog's nature to be loyal to its owner...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1028532/

how to fight like dat? want to compare dog and human, dog sure win...
    Ong lai ah!

problem with dogs (and cats) is that they typically die before you, as a matter of probability, and it is very heartbreaking. yang turtle fang lao may be better. Or parrot very long life too

Quote Originally Posted by smellyfish View Post
    yang turtle fang lao may be better. Or parrot very long life too
    Gd idea to keep tortoise/turtle since they chao chao can live up to 100 yrs old. Even if one dun hv son at least still got 龟儿 to 送终

Quote Originally Posted by smellyfish View Post
    problem with dogs (and cats) is that they typically die before you, as a matter of probability, and it is very heartbreaking
    Last time I oso tink this way. Pets is not a gd companion as they hv very short lifespan. But I tink pets owners shd be glad that their beloved pets die b4 they kick the bucket. At least the owner is there for it when it died. Else if the human mati 1st, who to look after them? Worse still if the owner live alone. The pets will all die of thirst n hunger.