Thread: What is the percentage of THP do you save?

Default What is the percentage of THP do you save?

Hi all,

Just wondering what is the percentage of the monthly take home pay (THP) do you save?
    And what are your major expenses?

For us, we save about 55% of our THP. Our major expenses are the car and parents allowance.

Hard to calculate. Include mortgage?

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
    Hi all,

Just wondering what is the percentage of the monthly take home pay (THP) do you save?

For us, we save about 55% of our THP. Our major expenses are the car and parents allowance.
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    Hard to calculate. Include mortgage?
    humm..you can exclude mortgage if its meant as investment.

THP depend on working, should look into moving into other income.

I spend more than THP every month.

Rental income 3x more than THP.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    THP depend on working, should look into moving into other income.

I spend more than THP every month.

Rental income 3x more than THP.
    i See. How about redefining the THP with "the income made from work and other resources such as rental, stocks dividends?"

Money save not use, depreciate with time.

Money spend to pay down property loan appreciate with time.

Should look at what money is doing than where the money is resting.

Billion are spend on infrastructure in Singapore, MONEY appreciate with time or depreciate with time.

A piece of land after you spend Billion on it, do it cost more to own or less.

Hi all,

Major expenses are car and parents allowance? Hhhmmm... Actually all the minor expenses all add up will be more than the major expenses liao - on kids lah, food/groceries lah, utilities lah, telecom/mobile/internet bills lah, insurance lah, taxes lah, property maintenance fees lah, etc etc... Unless of cos u own more than 1 car and/or ur car(s) are big/expensive and/or they are guzzlers. Same applies to the parents. Jus kidding.

We r somewhere around ur level lah. Cos what I take home is hers (to spend), what she takes home is hers (to save). To put it in a more political correct way, we r living on a one income basis in this employment phase and the rest is meant for rainy days and living during the retirement stage. Investments capital is from the common pool fund and that's for rainy days and living during the retirement stage as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    Money save not use, depreciate with time.

Money spend to pay down property loan appreciate with time.

Should look at what money is doing than where the money is resting.

Billion are spend on infrastructure in Singapore, MONEY appreciate with time or depreciate with time.

A piece of land after you spend Billion on it, do it cost more to own or less.
    I do agree with you. However, saving is the first step for safety net, then for investment. If don't save
    how to invest without balancing the risks?

Investment also depends on the market cycle, be it in stocks or property. Its a very complicated situation
    in Singapore right now. Put $ in banks rot away, stash away in stocks and property also limited upside now.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTan View Post
    Major expenses are car and parents allowance? Hhhmmm... Actually all the minor expenses all add up will be more than the major expenses liao - on kids lah, food/groceries lah, utilities lah, telecom/mobile/internet bills lah, insurance lah, taxes lah, property maintenance fees lah, etc etc... Unless of cos u own more than 1 car and/or ur car(s) are big/expensive and/or they are guzzlers. Same applies to the parents. Jus kidding.

We r somewhere around ur level lah. Cos what I take home is hers (to spend), what she takes home is hers (to save). To put it in a more political correct way, we r living on a one income basis in this employment phase and the rest is meant for rainy days and living during the retirement stage. Investments capital is from the common pool fund and that's for rainy days and living during the retirement stage as well.
    true. What I meant was that car and parent allowance made up of 50% of what we spend.

If including rental income as part of take home pay, I think I save about 20% of THP. Major expenses are mortgages and car, each taking up 25% of expenses...

Quote Originally Posted by mummy View Post
    If including rental income as part of take home pay, I think I save about 20% of THP. Major expenses are mortgages and car, each taking up 25% of expenses...
    Hhhmmm... that's interesting. Car expenses seem to be a major part of the monthly expenses @ abt 25% for both our lady forummers. I'm wondering if it is becos of car loan, petrol, and/or erp...

I do agree with you. However, saving is the first step for safety net, then for investment. If don't save
    how to invest without balancing the risks?

Investment also depends on the market cycle, be it in stocks or property. Its a very complicated situation
    in Singapore right now. Put $ in banks rot away, stash away in stocks and property also limited upside now.
    He is siao on for debt. I think a balanced strategy is important even though I believe in property.

Hard to say exactly my family's figures. Spending will be on average about 60% of THP and savings about 40%. If we decide to buy car again a few years later, the figure might change slightly.
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTan View Post
    Hhhmmm... that's interesting. Car expenses seem to be a major part of the monthly expenses @ abt 25% for both our lady forummers. I'm wondering if it is becos of car loan, petrol, and/or erp...
    I always find it shocking to see others spending 25 percent or more of their THP on car expenses. Mine has never exceeded 20 per cent. My car expenses now amount to less than 10 per cent of my THP partly cuz I do not have a mortgage on it anymore for years. Gonna give up my car soon once the COE expires. Doesn't make $ sense to pay exorbitant COE prices for now.

I dun have hard a fast rule on savings. Some months I spend a lot. Some months I spend much lesser. I think on an annual basis probably ard 40 percent of THP is not spent

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I always find it shocking to see others spending 25 percent or more of their THP on car expenses. Mine has never exceeded 20 per cent. My car expenses now amount to less than 10 per cent of my THP partly cuz I do not have a mortgage on it anymore for years. Gonna give up my car soon once the COE expires. Doesn't make $ sense to pay exorbitant COE prices for now.
    poster mentioned 25% of expenses, not 25 % of take home pay.

We r living in the world most expensive city! Don't think things gonna change anytime soon... Live a little, enjoy a little, buy a japanese or Korean ☺️ After all, we r not gonna bring anything along when we 'go'! Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by jxmail00 View Post
    poster mentioned 25% of expenses, not 25 % of take home pay.
    ahhhh thanks for highlighting. Now that sounds much more reasonable

Our car expenses including car loan fuel etc etc makes up less than 10% of THP but takes up the major bulk of our expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Teo View Post
    We r living in the world most expensive city! Don't think things gonna change anytime soon... Live a little, enjoy a little, buy a japanese or Korean ☺️ After all, we r not gonna bring anything along when we 'go'! Hahaha
    Yes..I agree too.