Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landed house rebuild

Default Landed house rebuild

I intend to share with a neighbour to buy a landed house and then rebuild into 2 three-storey units, which is more cost effective.
    I would like to know if there is any possibility to change this one current address into 2 separate residential addresses for the 2 families.
    Please advise. Thanks!

The land size has to be at least 400 sqm then. A detached can be subdivided into 2 Semi-ds. Not sure if semi-ds can be subdivided though.

Quote Originally Posted by highboy View Post
    The land size has to be at least 400 sqm then. A detached can be subdivided into 2 Semi-ds. Not sure if semi-ds can be subdivided though.
    Not a problem, I have sub-divided my 5,000 sqf semi-D into 2 Semi-D. Do note you have to pay development charge.

Yes, it all depends on your land size and width as well as your adjacent neighbor's.

https://www.ura.gov.sg/circulars/tex...sing-dchbr.pdf

This will be useful for you. Page 24 onwards.

Yes, it all depends on your land size and width as well as your adjacent neighbor's.

https://www.ura.gov.sg/circulars/tex...sing-dchbr.pdf

This will be useful for you. Page 24 onwards.
    Thanks bro for the valuable information, it is possible !!

Any idea what is the redevelopment cost psf now?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by HP65 View Post
    Not a problem, I have sub-divided my 5,000 sqf semi-D into 2 Semi-D. Do note you have to pay development charge.
    How do you check if that particular land can be subdivided into 2 units?

Quote Originally Posted by CloverLover View Post
    How do you check if that particular land can be subdivided into 2 units?

first u need to check the location...

some areas are meant for Bungalows ONLY, some Semi D only ...etc

some areas have detached houses that can be split into 2 semi d's ( but not into terraces)

you definitely cannot buy a GCB and build a row of terraces ...

check out 6th ave ... alot of detached houses can be split into Semi Ds

I intend to share with a neighbour to buy a landed house and then rebuild into 2 three-storey units, which is more cost effective.
    I would like to know if there is any possibility to change this one current address into 2 separate residential addresses for the 2 families.
    Please advise. Thanks!
    I have only heard of splitting detached to semi D. Seldom have I hear people going from semi D to 2 terraces.

In all honestly, if you need to go down that path of sharing with neighbours, chances are you should be considering landed because terrace is the entry level that even HDB upgraders can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydenlim View Post
    I have only heard of splitting detached to semi D. Seldom have I hear people going from semi D to 2 terraces.

In all honestly, if you need to go down that path of sharing with neighbours, chances are you should be considering landed because terrace is the entry level that even HDB upgraders can afford.
    Yes, it is not possible to subdivide a semi-d into 2 terraces as it downgrades the other semi-d into corner terrace. But its possible if you redevelop together with the other semi-d.

Well, I think he's just trying to be cost-effective and he also did not specify terraces. Perhaps a very close neighbour?

Anyway, for a decent terrace today, it is at least 2.5M, and to acquire a land big enough to subdivide, its at least 4M so not really a HDB upgrader. Perhaps 10 years ago its possible when 1M could fetch u a terrace.

Yes, it is not possible to subdivide a semi-d into 2 terraces as it downgrades the other semi-d into corner terrace. But its possible if you redevelop together with the other semi-d.

Well, I think he's just trying to be cost-effective and he also did not specify terraces. Perhaps a very close neighbour?

Anyway, for a decent terrace today, it is at least 2.5M, and to acquire a land big enough to subdivide, its at least 4M so not really a HDB upgrader. Perhaps 10 years ago its possible when 1M could fetch u a terrace.
    Yes, a very close neighbour who also wishes to own a landed property in a cost effective way.
    Looking at those terrace houses that are selling 2.8~3.2M with a land size of 1600~1700sqft, might as well we buy a land area of 3500~4000sqft costing 3.5~4.5M and then tear down to rebuild own dream home. Adding 1.5M to the reconstruction, we get a bigger and better designed house paying only 3M each. Why not?

Looks like we need to engage a property agent which has knowledge in this to go forward.

You should speak to an architect first as this is a complicated process that requires technical expertise. Your typical property agent may not have the technical know-how to advise (I could be wrong). You should also speak to URA DC before purchasing.

From my understanding, you are looking at those old CT with a large land area for subvision. These are only a few out of many pitfalls to look out for:
    (1) Make sure that the frontage of the land is at least 14 meters. (8+6) and regular.
    (2) The land area for the new IT should be at least 150 sqm and 200 sqm for the new CT after subdivision.
    (3) Check for encumbrances preventing subdivision.
    (4) Do discuss with your neigbour on who is getting the new IT and CT and other crucial matters like title ownership before subdivision etc to prevent ugly scenes later.

My honest opinion is that the savings is minimal compared to the hassle that you have got to go through. There are too many risk factors that make such a project unfeasible to embark upon.

Quote Originally Posted by bullman View Post
    You should speak to an architect first as this is a complicated process that requires technical expertise. Your typical property agent may not have the technical know-how to advise (I could be wrong). You should also speak to URA DC before purchasing.

From my understanding, you are looking at those old CT with a large land area for subvision. These are only a few out of many pitfalls to look out for:
    (1) Make sure that the frontage of the land is at least 14 meters. (8+6) and regular.
    (2) The land area for the new IT should be at least 150 sqm and 200 sqm for the new CT after subdivision.
    (3) Check for encumbrances preventing subdivision.
    (4) Do discuss with your neigbour on who is getting the new IT and CT and other crucial matters like title ownership before subdivision etc to prevent ugly scenes later.

My honest opinion is that the savings is minimal compared to the hassle that you have got to go through. There are too many risk factors that make such a project unfeasible to embark upon.
    Bro,

Looks like you are very knowledgeable in this type of rebuilding.
    Are you in this field?

Savings is part of the plan, but then you get to design and build the layout that you like, this is the best!
    My brother-in-law did the same thing, but it's in Malaysia, and he loves doing it because he gets what he wants in the layout.

Bro,

Looks like you are very knowledgeable in this type of rebuilding.
    Are you in this field?

Savings is part of the plan, but then you get to design and build the layout that you like, this is the best!
    My brother-in-law did the same thing, but it's in Malaysia, and he loves doing it because he gets what he wants in the layout.
    Unless you are rebuilding a detach or spacious semi-d from ground up/down, there is actually very little you can do to the structure of typical terrace house.
    At the end of the day it will be box shape, tall long and narrow, built and designed to maximize the floor area.

If you are on a budget, better to buy a ready built one to avoid cost over run and project delays.

Rebuilding a house in Malaysia is not like in Singapore. Over there they are less strict, and you can even take the gamble of building something illegal.
    In Singapore BCA will ask you to tear it down.

It is very tough to build a pair of semi D at 1.5m

Actually it is impossible to build a pair of semi-d at 1.5mio.

If you don't mind me sharing, building the house together with a sibiling is already tough let alone a neighbor. Everyone has different opinion. It becomes more complicated when the spouses join in and insist on their opinion. Another important point is the allocation of the house as no 2 house are the same when it comes to facing. There is also a lot of hidden and miscellaneous cost.

The only thing is, it can be quite fun.

Good luck.

Is it possible to subdivide a semi-D into 2 semi-Ds, especially since the original land size is only 5000 Sqft? Also, DC is not applicable if developing for own stay. You must have sold one or both.

Quote Originally Posted by stl67 View Post
    Actually it is impossible to build a pair of semi-d at 1.5mio.
    Yes it is impossible, for a 5000 sqft total land (for the pair) and a 3.5 storey build up.. You are looking at at least $2.5 - $3 million. And this is bare-bones construction, with cheapest materials and no fancy design...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydenlim View Post

Bro, some terraces are bigger than semi-d... Like some detached are smaller than semi-d.

It depends which location.

My cousin's corner terrace in D10 is bigger than TS' 5,000 sqft semi-d. He even built a good-sized swimming pool in his compound. Come to think of it, his corner terrace is on par with or even bigger than some bungalows.

Actually not possible to split 1 semi into 2 semi d... also not allowed by BCA (or URA) to split 1 semi d into inter terrace + corner terrace as then you neighbor's house gets downgraded into a corner terrace.

Quote Originally Posted by silver023 View Post
    Actually not possible to split 1 semi into 2 semi d... also not allowed by BCA (or URA) to split 1 semi d into inter terrace + corner terrace as then you neighbor's house gets downgraded into a corner terrace.
    If you check properly, it is absolutely possible, 1 semi-d into 2 semi-d. You just have to ensure the other semi-d has a land large enough (400sqm) to redevelop into a bungalow. Regarding the inter terrace, it is not possible unless u redevelop together with the other semi-d.
    Last edited by highboy; 23-05-15 at 23:36.

So then there will be 3 semi Ds side by side?

Not exactly. The other semi-d can be considered a bungalow already since it is a standalone structure.

And it's actually possible to redevelop semi-d into a string of terraces, just do not connect with the other semi-d and bear in mind the conditions as I described previously and you will require a really large piece of land for this.

If you check properly, it is absolutely possible, 1 semi-d into 2 semi-d. You just have to ensure the other semi-d has a land large enough (400sqm) to redevelop into a bungalow. Regarding the inter terrace, it is not possible unless u redevelop together with the other semi-d.
    Such circumstance is very rare as the other Semi-D owner has to agree to "upgrade" the status into a detached. When he rebuilds, the side setback applies. Also, URA will only approve this application if the left over Semi-D has a frontage of at least 10 meters which is rare.

Interesting!

Not exactly. The other semi-d can be considered a bungalow already since it is a standalone structure.

And it's actually possible to redevelop semi-d into a string of terraces, just do not connect with the other semi-d and bear in mind the conditions as I described previously and you will require a really large piece of land for this.

i recall having seen such a case ... in the early 2000s

2 semi ds ...side by side ... each has 5000 sqft land ..

A did not seek B's 'approval and split away ... B also didnt care ...

as a result , A became a 'Detached, so was B ... But B looked really weird ..as it has 1 wall very high which start from the boundary wall.
    somemore it was a single story house ... it appears to 'emerge' from the high wall... really ugly ..

meanwhile A rebuilt itself into a brand new Detached house ...

but A had to sacrifice some land ... cos B's detached stretched all the way to the boundary wall ...

in order not to be too close to each other A had to be built much further away from its once 'joint' neighbour ...

all in all ... both houses didnt really look nice at all ...

what one can do is .. to look for a HUGE corner terrace ...

and turn it into another Inter terrace and a smaller corner terrace ...

that way .. no one get 'upgraded' nor 'downgraded' ...

Quote Originally Posted by bullman View Post
    Is it possible to subdivide a semi-D into 2 semi-Ds, especially since the original land size is only 5000 Sqft? Also, DC is not applicable if developing for own stay. You must have sold one or both.
    Yes, it's definitely possible to sub-divide. My original SD was 2 levels. I sub-divided and torn it down and rebuild x2 SD 3 level with roof terrace. Paid $250k DC. I also thot no DC payable but in the end kana hit unexpectedly. Both are being rented out so I did not resell them.

My neighbour's quite happy coz he said now he is 'upgraded' to a detach.

Yes, it's definitely possible to sub-divide. My original SD was 2 levels. I sub-divided and torn it down and rebuild x2 SD 3 level with roof terrace. Paid $250k DC. I also thot no DC payable but in the end kana hit unexpectedly. Both are being rented out so I did not resell them.

My neighbour's quite happy coz he said now he is 'upgraded' to a detach.

bro HP 65

in your case, your neighbour, which is now a Detached, Does his wall start from the boundary line ?

did you have to move your new Semi D further away from the boundary so that it is not too close ?

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner View Post
    bro HP 65

in your case, your neighbour, which is now a Detached, Does his wall start from the boundary line ?

did you have to move your new Semi D further away from the boundary so that it is not too close ?
    Hi PO,

My neighbor was just joking when he said his house became a detached. His wall remains at the boundary line. In building the x2 SD, I kept equidistant from both my neighbour's, ie moving away from my conjoined neighbour but moved closer to my other non-conjoined neighbour.

The redevelopment cost will depend on who you want it to be re build. Contact a professional firm for it. they can give you a better opinion about it.