Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: The Clift (D1, 99 years, Far East Org)

Reporter is offline F01 N54 Sheer Driving Pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by overlorden, SkyscraperCity-The Clift, 4 March 2010 2.00 pm
    Posted this on other thread also ...

FEO aggressively selling 2 units on 30th floor of Clift (775 sq.ft.) for $2322 PSF ($1.8 million).

All Clift owners can happily wait for these caveats soon
    FEO pushing for $2,322 psf? Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Reporter
    FEO pushing for $2,322 psf? Wow!
    I wonder if there are takers since the subsale asking price is only about $1,600 psf and only about 10 floors plus below.

Reporter is offline F01 N54 Sheer Driving Pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by blackfire, 5 March 2010 11.10 am
    I wonder if there are takers since the subsale asking price is only about $1,600 psf and only about 10 floors plus below.
    I think these 2 $2,322psf units are gone now.
    Quote Originally Posted by monsieur2, SkyscraperCity-The Cliff, 8 March 2010 10.49 am
    last two units, heard, they are sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Reporter
    I think these 2 $2,322psf units are gone now.
    If I can remember correctly, there are quite of handful of units not launch, mostly top levels loft units. The last I heard, about 2 years ago, FEO is asking for about $3k psf for the loft units, I wonder if there will be a relaunch or all units are sold, which I doubt so..

Quote Originally Posted by blackfire
    It depends, both represent a 10% increase. Psychologically, it is more appealing to buyer to have $1,500 psf increased to $1,600 rather than a property increased from 600 to 700 psf. Prime dist are easier to rent out as compared to suburbs, so the properties appeals to both investors and owner occupied purchasers, whereas suburbs are mostly for owner occupied. Moreover, for investors who are keen on suburbs, there are many choices/projects they can choose from in the market. hence, not very wise for long term investors to buy suburbs unless they have the intention to move in there, or the unit offers very attractive pricing.
    I for one as a potential buyer prefers to buy at $700 psf vs $1600 psf becuase no matter how big or small the psf, absolute dollars of investment counts. I am sure anyone in the right mind thinks the same way.

It is just common mentality that prime district prices have more upside than suburbs, so pple are still rushing in for a kill even though prices are crazy.

As for fetching rental/rental yield, prime districts are not necessary easiest to rent out or highest rental yield. My expat friends are all renting apartments in suburbs even though they make more than $20K per mth. Again, absolute dollar rent counts. Would you rent a 2 bedder in prime dist for $6K per mth versus 2 bedder in suburbs for $3K per mth? The savings of $3K per mth can cover my taxi fare from suburbs to CBD everyday (to and fro), and still got $1.5K balance for other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Squall8888
    Well, then we have different opinions then. No one is wrong, just different perspectives.

And indeed, at IR, 5 mins to IR and 15 mins to IR do make a lot of difference. I mean just see Orchard vs AMK vs Yishun. 15 mins apart but you know what I mean?

As for capital appreciation, just take the past 1 year data:-

MBR trough / peak - 1500 psf / 2980 psf
    Sail trough / peak - 1146 psf / 3205 psf
    One amber trough / peak - Around 800 psf / 1350 psf
    Casa Merah trough / peak - Around 600 psf / 850 psf
    Livia trough / peak - Around 650 psf / 750 psf

I am ignoring all the facing but it seems the more prime units are having superior appreciation. Take Livia vs MBR. 100% appreciation. How to beat that?
    You must be kidding to say that AMK / Yishun is 15 mins to IR. Maybe in the wee hours of the morning when there is no traffic, and you are driving at 180km/hr via CTE, then its possible...15 mins to IR is more for city fringe such as East Coast, Lavendar and etc...or 15 mins walk from The Clift to IR..

Prime dist has a lot of speculation elements and hence prices appreciate much more in an upmarket. But dun forget, conversely, when market is down, prime dist depreciates much more than suburbs. It is much easier for MBR to fall from 3000 psf to 1500 psf than for Livia to fall from 750 psf to 375 psf (which is not possible).

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

$20k per month expats paying $3k rent? Those not real expats lah. Expats usually have housing allowance of >$8k per month and given such allowance, you think they will save money on rental and pay more money driving the longer distance + ERP & time or taxi and make life more inconvenient for themselves and everyone in their familes?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    I for one as a potential buyer prefers to buy at $700 psf vs $1600 psf becuase no matter how big or small the psf, absolute dollars of investment counts. I am sure anyone in the right mind thinks the same way.

It is just common mentality that prime district prices have more upside than suburbs, so pple are still rushing in for a kill even though prices are crazy.

As for fetching rental/rental yield, prime districts are not necessary easiest to rent out or highest rental yield. My expat friends are all renting apartments in suburbs even though they make more than $20K per mth. Again, absolute dollar rent counts. Would you rent a 2 bedder in prime dist for $6K per mth versus 2 bedder in suburbs for $3K per mth? The savings of $3K per mth can cover my taxi fare from suburbs to CBD everyday (to and fro), and still got $1.5K balance for other things.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    $20k per month expats paying $3k rent? Those not real expats lah. Expats usually have housing allowance of >$8k per month and given such allowance, you think they will save money on rental and pay more money driving the longer distance + ERP & time or taxi and make life more inconvenient for themselves and everyone in their familes?
    Expats are human beings too, not aliens. They eat, think, calculate and act like you or anyone on the streets. If they are doing well in their home country, they wouldn't be out here in Singapore to make a living. And while they are here and given a monthly fixed allowance of $8K, they will look for cheaper rent than to make use the full $8K on rental.

They can also stay in a hotel in town for a month with only $6K max. They dun even need to bother about utilities and housekeeping.

For those with families, they can use $6K to rent a landed hse in the suburbs verus same $6K to squeeze in a mickey mouse 2 bedders in the CBD.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

May be you don't understand how it works for expats - Their companies will not let them pocket the housing allowance. They have to rent and claim (or some companies sign the lease for them). So, they won't get a single extra cent even if they decide to rent only $3k when given an allowance of $10k.

Expats are human beings too, not aliens. They eat, think, calculate and act like you or anyone on the streets. If they are doing well in their home country, they wouldn't be out here in Singapore to make a living. And while they are here and given a monthly fixed allowance of $8K, they will look for cheaper rent than to make use the full $8K on rental.

They can also stay in a hotel in town for a month with only $6K max. They dun even need to bother about utilities and housekeeping.

For those with families, they can use $6K to rent a landed hse in the suburbs verus same $6K to squeeze in a mickey mouse 2 bedders in the CBD.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    May be you don't understand how it works for expats - Their companies will not let them pocket the housing allowance. They have to rent and claim (or some companies sign the lease for them). So, they won't get a single extra cent even if they decide to rent only $3k when given an allowance of $10k.
    Yes, some companies do this while other companies do the other. I am in Finance line so I know how companies work. Even companies are looking for cheaper rent as long as it does not compromise the convenience of its expat employees.

So City Fringe areas that are relatively cheaper than Prime Districts will be more attractive to lease out. Again, if we use extreme examples, MBR vs Livia.

Say you have $3M to invest, you can either buy 1 x 2 bedder unit at MBR (1000 sq ft x $3000 psf) versus 4 x 2 bedder units at Livia (4 x 1000 sqft x $750psf).

The max you can rent out the MBR unit is $6K ($6 psf) per month. But for Livia, you can rent out 4 x $2K = $8k per month ($2 psf same as a HDB rental rate) . So rental yield for prime district is not so attractive afterall!

Depends.

Livia start selling around 600 psf and I don't know if it has hit 700 psf now.

MBR from 1500 early last year to 3130 psf now. Some forecast 4000 psf end of this year.

Different game totally. Depends on the size of your balls.

Yes, some companies do this while other companies do the other. I am in Finance line so I know how companies work. Even companies are looking for cheaper rent as long as it does not compromise the convenience of its expat employees.

So City Fringe areas that are relatively cheaper than Prime Districts will be more attractive to lease out. Again, if we use extreme examples, MBR vs Livia.

Say you have $3M to invest, you can either buy 1 x 2 bedder unit at MBR (1000 sq ft x $3000 psf) versus 4 x 2 bedder units at Livia (4 x 1000 sqft x $750psf).

The max you can rent out the MBR unit is $6K ($6 psf) per month. But for Livia, you can rent out 4 x $2K = $8k per month ($2 psf same as a HDB rental rate) . So rental yield for prime district is not so attractive afterall!

Depends.

Livia start selling around 600 psf and I don't know if it has hit 700 psf now.

MBR from 1500 early last year to 3130 psf now. Some forecast 4000 psf end of this year.

Different game totally. Depends on the size of your balls.
    I also encourage MBR to up as high as possible, hopefully to 10,000 psf in a couple of years' time. As MBR goes up, the gap btw high end and mass market property prices get widened. The mass market prices will follow suit to go up. Once mass market has gone to another high, it is stable there while high end will be subjected to free fall when market crashes.

At the end of the day, a property has to be occupied by an ultimate buyer in the chain supply. If you wouldn't want to pay $4M to stay in a 2 bedder, why would anyone else? Aliens from outer space? High rollers gamblers? How many multi-millionaires in Singapore would choose a mickey mouse unit in MBR vs a Semi-D / Bungalow in the city fringe?

It's not just about the balls, it's the brain that knows how to calculate and analyse. But who knows, I am not a multi-millionaire, so I do not know what are they thinking?

The Clift

Going to TOP already right? From the photo, already reach the top floor I assume? I just realise clift has 2 MRTs as well.

Yes, Clift in between 2 MRT (tanjong pagar and future telok ayer to be ready in 2012 which is 2 stops away from the buzzling IR Sands)

In terms of view, it is not fantastic compared to bayview/seaview as it have only cityview to offer. However, from the lowest floor of the even stack units can have unblocked cityview for the rest of the 90+lease. I am not so sure about those pool facing units which has an old sch or hostel in front of them.

It is much easier for MBR to fall from 3000 psf to 1500 psf than for Livia to fall from 750 psf to 375 psf (which is not possible).
    .. exactly the reason why prime pty is a better investment vehicle than mass mkt one ! one with high volatility is a better instrument than one with no volatility, for the purpose of investment. why would I be even bothered by a product where at best of time only appreciates 30% ? bro, listen to squal88, this is a totally diff ball game altogether.

high risk higher return
    want gd rental yield go for HDB lor ~

Quote Originally Posted by august
    high risk higher return
    want gd rental yield go for HDB lor ~
    No wonder HDB wana sniff out all the illegal HDB subletting

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    .. exactly the reason why prime pty is a better investment vehicle than mass mkt one ! one with high volatility is a better instrument than one with no volatility, for the purpose of investment. why would I be even bothered by a product where at best of time only appreciates 30% ? bro, listen to squal88, this is a totally diff ball game altogether.
    U got ur point..he got his point as well..tats y we have different types of investment vehicles..Different strokes for different folks

The selling prices now are still below the launch prices in 2007?

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    The selling prices now are still below the launch prices in 2007?
    shd ask me about clift...

very 1st phase launch in 2006....only lower flr studio r released...ard 1100psf...quite high at tat time though....
    tats the reason y last yr can find sellers willing to let go at ard 1200psf

den slowly increased prices to ard 2200psf in 2007...as usual la..FEO mah...

saw one low flr studio selling ard 900k...not a bad deal...but duno whether real deal anot..or fishing ads...

at 900k..rental yield easily above 4%

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    saw one low flr studio selling ard 900k...not a bad deal...but duno whether real deal anot..or fishing ads...

at 900k..rental yield easily above 4%
    Thanks, my friend is looking at buying a unit there. Hee hee.

That one is flip option I think. 920k. But if got cash, I feel should buy because the yield is damn high.

That one is flip option I think. 920k. But if got cash, I feel should buy because the yield is damn high.
    Rent to who?

Rental at MBR is already dropping. Are you sure this will be high?

Interestingly, The Icon rental yield is consistently high, and I would guess it could be the highest in Singapore so far. And on the other hand, the yield of The Sail is comparatively lower. So The Clift is a question mark between the two. But in view of the compact size and much lower cost psf, the Clift yield would be better that the developments in the Marina Bay area.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfire
    Interestingly, The Icon rental yield is consistently high, and I would guess it could be the highest in Singapore so far. And on the other hand, the yield of The Sail is comparatively lower. So The Clift is a question mark between the two. But in view of the compact size and much lower cost psf, the Clift yield would be better that the developments in the Marina Bay area.
    u got it. clift wud expect to fetch 3.5-4k for 1bedders...take icon as a guide. let say take worse scenerio 3.5k for 920k work out to be 4.5 gross yield...not bad wat...

MBR worse yield as their 1bedder can cost from 1.8mil and rental ard 5k at most? but high risk high gain....mbr is trophy collection! Jewel of marina bay!

I mean frankly speaking, you won't know until you rent out right? Today and tomorrow can make a lot of difference. Sometimes, we need to use a bit of brains to compare nearby condo. I am not saying it is guaranteed. If you want guarantee yield, I suggest that you approach the nearest DBS bank and ask them for fixed deposit. That way, you don't need to bother about MBR rental and you are sure to get 0.5% yield.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Rental at MBR is already dropping. Are you sure this will be high?

Don't know. Ask your agent.

Quote Originally Posted by cashrich
    Rent to who?